Doha Olympic plans

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how the IOC will view the bids geopolitically. Though Turkey straddles Europe and Asia, the IOC will probably not see a huge geopolitical distinction between awarding the Games to Turkey and awarding them to Qatar. This is not cultural insensitivity, it's just the highly subjective way the IOC works as they try to move the Games around the globe.

The diplomatic way of putting it. And precisly the point.

I just don't see "Arab" as a selling point all by itself.

Istanbul, Doha and Baku would all feel like exotic new locales. In that respect they are tied. Nobody gets an advantage on that one. Arab vs. Non-Arab is irrelevant -- at least as far as the bidding goes. If I understood him correctly, this is what FYI was saying.

It's exactly what I was saying, Athensfan. And like you & Gangwon, I also don't see 'Arab' as a selling point all by itself & would mostly be irrelevant as far as the bidding process goes. That's bascially what I was asking/challenging Qater son with, but then someone new came into the thread, without any arguments of their own, other than to simply name call.

Doha is bidding in the name of 22 Arab Countries and 339,510,535 persons living in them ;)

ask it for a morrocon or an egyptian ;)

u cant talk for 339 million people...

altough we never said in our previous biddings "we represent 1,5 billion muslims and 250 million turks" ever

a very ignorant sentence u r using...

if u r hungry for a leadership about arab people, first brave enough to defending palestinians and gazze citizens, and children died from hunger in somalia, while your emir cant decide wat to buy a boeing or a airbus to his family ;) being a strong country is not only with words...

• 1 month later...

Roma's situation its logic... what if they show their logo and the bid is cancelled :S naaa better wait for the 15th. Now i don't understand why Istanbul wants to wait? :huh:

What's the rush? I'd assume they want to make a pretty big splash by releasing it at the same time they hand over their applicant questionaire.

We're about the only tiny group in the world who would even notice when all the bid logos are out.

What's the rush? I'd assume they want to make a pretty big splash by releasing it at the same time they hand over their applicant questionaire.

We're about the only tiny group in the world who would even notice when all the bid logos are out.

Mmmm you're maybe right :P Yes, perhaps they wanna show it with the mini bid book too!!! I just hope they don't ise the "meeting of continents" logo and motto again :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Doha will stage the 2020 Summer Olympics between October 2 and October 18 if it wins the bid, and "most" international federations approve the unprecedented later than usual date, the Gulf city's Olympic authorities claimed here today.

Disclosing details for the first time of the 190-page applicant file submitted earlier this month to the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Doha officials shrugged off the heat problem – just as Qatar's successful 2022 World Cup campaign had done – and pledged to put on an event that would "change the lifestyles" of an entire region.

No additional permanent venues will need to be built, with 91 per cent of sites either existing already, planned or budgeted for as part of Qatar's so-called 2030 vision....

...Importantly, that means hardly any Games-related spending will be needed; a far cry, for instance, from London 2012 and previous Olympics and also that of Baku, Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo, its rivals for 2020....

...Another key factor in Doha's bid is that average travel time for athletes to all competition venues will be 21 minutes, an impressively short time both for able-bodied athletes and for the Paralympians, which would take place from November 4 to 15 if Doha is given the nod.

Doha's horrendous traffic problems would be eased by a new $21 billion (£13 billion/€16 billion) metro system which will link to 78 per cent of all sports venues while 50,000 hotel rooms and apartments will be within 15 kilometres of the majority of sports.

Legacy would include the region's first ever women's High Performance Training Centre "to welcome women and girls from across the Arab world", plus the only Olympic-standard Velodrome in the Middle East.

http://www.insidethe...ympic-games-bid

Well it sounds logical, but only because they're upgrading (or was it building) Lusail for the World Cup in that 80,000 seater capacity. So in that sense it sounds fine. But having 2 ceremonies in a row that isn't held in a stadium with that all important athletics track is a no go.

Not even Madrid is willing to do that, even though they have a perfectly good football stadium of 80,000 compared to their Olympic Stadium proposal of 65,000

Heck if we want to break records here or bend the rules a bit, wait until Melbourne bids. We got you the 95,000 seater MCG for Athletics and Football whilst Ceremonies will be held in front of a crowd of 200,000 at Flemington Racecourse. :P

It's all part of "Greater Doha conurbation", they know how to bend the rules to what they need, for Qatar 2022 we apparentlly had 7 cities, these "cities" are municipalities in Qatar. 5 of those so called cities are going to be part of Doha 2020 bid.

There are many changes from the 2016 bid !! It's so different :D

Archived