Doha Olympic plans

by the way isupport doha to be a sports hub at the persian gulf. but if everyone thinks about there are still clouds on 2022 decision and the other issues mentioned above, Doha needs more time to get prepared for the games. at least try to get more medals having some voice in international sports arena with your athletes.

2020 is not a right time

There's obviously a lot of question marks regarding Qatar's 2022 WC. Why doesn't Doha just put its efforts toward WC 2022, prove everybody wrong, answer all our doubts, and then start a bid the following year for the 2032 Olympics?

In the meantime, develop some homegrown athletes and stop buying other nationals.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's obviously a lot of question marks regarding Qatar's 2022 WC. Why doesn't Doha just put its efforts toward WC 2022, prove everybody wrong, answer all our doubts, and then start a bid the following year for the 2032 Olympics?

In the meantime, develop some homegrown athletes and stop buying other nationals.

Well, they are also bidding for the 2017 IAAF champs vs. London (who had to give it up 2005). Which means, if Doha wins 2017 (I think the award will be made this November or December), then they can claim that again as well. The funny thing is since the Qatari ruling family owns the London 2012 Olympic Village, I wonder if they will hold that hostage to winning 2017, and eventually 2020. But I think the federations and the networks will balk strongly at Doha's September-October dates.

oldest one still is Turkish kırkpınar oiled wrestling. It is held annually, usually in late June, near Edirne, Turkey since 1346 and It now holds a Guinness World Record for the longest running sports competition

How can kirkpinar be older when the Asti Palio is recorded since 1275? So kirkpinar is 71 years younger. ;)

Well, they are also bidding for the 2017 IAAF champs vs. London (who had to give it up 2005). Which means, if Doha wins 2017 (I think the award will be made this November or December), then they can claim that again as well. The funny thing is since the Qatari ruling family owns the London 2012 Olympic Village, I wonder if they will hold that hostage to winning 2017, and eventually 2020. But I think the federations and the networks will balk strongly at Doha's September-October dates.

How can kirkpinar be older when the Asti Palio is recorded since 1275? So kirkpinar is 71 years younger. ;)

may be cause of it held annualy.never cut. as i know some years the races didnt takeplace. dont askme ask guinness :D

But much of the controversy stems from their 2022 WC. The magnitude of the Olympics is more comparable to that of the World Cup than the IAAF Champs. Show us you can handle the WC then at least we won't have to worry about your technical capabilities. The Asian Games and the Asian Cup is still small potatoes compared to the Olympics and the World Cup.

And even then, there's the question of those intangibles like why go to a country with a population of 1.5 million (even if it doubles to 3 million), especially when that country really has no real known cultural or tourist attractions aside from mega malls, beach sports and skyscraper gazing (those we'll be gazing at probably haven't even been built yet).

But much of the controversy stems from their 2022 WC. The magnitude of the Olympics is more comparable to that of the World Cup than the IAAF Champs. Show us you can handle the WC then at least we won't have to worry about your technical capabilities. The Asian Games and the Asian Cup is still small potatoes compared to the Olympics and the World Cup.

And even then, there's the question of those intangibles like why go to a country with a population of 1.5 million (even if it doubles to 3 million), especially when that country really has no real known cultural or tourist attractions aside from mega malls, beach sports and skyscraper gazing (those we'll be gazing at probably haven't even been built yet).

aah i really like this song and it seems i will share a lot in this topic :D lol

In all probability, Doha will go in the 1st or 2nd round. They only needed 4 extra votes in the FIFA vote. Here, they will need at least 56. I cannot see 56 kings, queens, princes, princesses, business tycoons being bought to vote. Or if I were them, I would still take the money but vote for the one I think best.

Well, they did handle the Asian Games in 2006, and at the second biggest multi-sport event after the Olympics, I think that's probably far closer in scope to the SOGs than either the IAAF champs or the WC (though, in a one-town state, I will grant the WC in 2022 is a different kettle of fish than normal. The mind still boggles that they got that).

Actually, I was about to say the 2006 Asiad went of well, but came across a few less than flattering comments in Wikipedia:

First on winning the bid:

After the major upset, Malaysia and Hong Kong, China expressed their disappointment. Malaysia said that the selection of Doha was ridiculous and that the selection of Doha was influenced by Qatar's economic wealth.[

and weather probs ... but not heat, rain!

Despite the spectacular opening ceremony, which received high praise, there was some criticism by some delegations and athletes. Heavy rain poured down just after the end of opening ceremony, and many believed that the organizers did not have plans to deal with it, creating a chaotic situation. Chef de Mission of the Philippines, Butch Ramirez, said that some of the members of the Philippine delegation, including athletes, were soaked in the rain because the organising officials did not allow them to re-enter the covered stadium for shelter; instead they had to stay in the heavy rain for more than 30 minutes. He went on to say that the breakdown in transportation protocols due to the rain caused the athletes to rush to the nearest bus station, exposing them to rain. Ramirez said that he himself was a victim of pushing and shoving due to this chaos, and that because of it, he suffered from an asthma attack.

According to one IOC insider who arrived back at his hotel soaked, this incident hurt the chances of Doha hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics, which Doha applied for on 25 October 2007, and lost on 4 June 2008 when they were eliminated from the pool. Transportation was one of the crucial factors involved in the decision process.

Well, they did handle the Asian Games in 2006, and at the second biggest multi-sport event after the Olympics, I think that's probably far closer in scope to the SOGs than either the IAAF champs or the WC (though, in a one-town state, I will grant the WC in 2022 is a different kettle of fish than normal. The mind still boggles that they got that).

I was thinking more in terms of influx of visitors, and the type of visitors too. The World Cup is the only comparable event that will bring over comparable numbers of visitors from around the world, who do not share different values. Maybe we should find out how that works out first. Plus, the Doha Asian Games were held in December, and the Asian Cup in January.

I was thinking more in terms of influx of visitors, and the type of visitors too. The World Cup is the only comparable event that will bring over comparable numbers of visitors from around the world, who do not share different values. Maybe we should find out how that works out first. Plus, the Doha Asian Games were held in December, and the Asian Cup in January.

Yep, and the IOC has already made it clear they're going to put pretty stringent conditions on what times of day Doha could schedule events IF they surprised everyone and won. I think, or at least interpret, them as handicapping Doha already.

Qatar raises state salaries, pensions

DOHA: Qatar will hand out significant salary, pension and benefits increases for its state and military employees costing as much as 30 billion riyals ($8.24 billion).

The decree will boost basic salaries and social benefits for state civilian employees by 60 percent.

[b]Military staff of officer rank will receive a 120 percent increase in basic salaries and benefits, with other ranks getting a 50 percent rise, according to the statement.[/b]

The total salary increases will amount to 10 billion riyals ($2.7 billion) per year, the statement said.

“There is no seething mass of anger or unhappiness with the leadership in Qatar, as there was, to some degree, in Saudi Arabia. So while this measure will obviously please Qatari citizens, it has not been done from a place of weakness,” said David Roberts, deputy director of the Royal United Services Institute based in Doha.

“The government likely wanted to reward the military for their highly unusual efforts in Libya.”

The decree also ordered a 60 percent pension increase for civilian retirees. Military retirees of officer rank will see a 120 percent hike, with ranks eligible for a 50 percent hike.

The state will make a one time payment of 10 billion riyals toward its pension fund and another 10 billion for retirees’ subscriptions.

Concerns about inflationary pressures remain muted despite the substantial pay increases, analysts said.

“It’s an eye-catching number, but it applies to such a small percentage of the workforce that I doubt it will have much impact on overall price trends,” said Simon Williams, HSBC’s chief economist for the Middle East and North Africa.

The move was viewed as unlikely to increase real estate prices.

“We’ll likely see some inflationary pressure on other goods and services. I would expect to see inflation of about three or four percent in a year or so. Some prices will increase immediately, but others are staggered and will take more time,” a Doha-based economist said.

The move was seen as likely to put pressure on the competitiveness of the private sector.

“The cost of living has increased substantially in recent years, so the pay rise could be seen as long overdue. But Qatar needs to encourage locals to enter the private sector workforce, and this is counter-productive in terms of developing the skills and know-how of the Qatari workforce,” another Doha-based economist said.

Qatar’s economy was expected to surge 18 percent this year, with the government planning to spend over $125 billion in the next five years on construction and energy projects.

New Doha International Airport "NDIA"(Opening 2012)

dni5.png

New Doha Port (First phase by 2015)

ndphe3.jpg

Doha Metro(First phase by 2017, complete by 2019)

qatarrailmapfull.jpg

Doha West Bay automated people mover (Opening 2018)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTyroh6mnE&feature=player_embedded

NDIA Metro and Rail station (Completion in 2012)

belowground3.jpg

Lusail City Light Rail transportation (Completion in ~2019)

metros1.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

52766445816dcf12f79bo.jpg

Lusail Express way project (Completion 2014)

Planned express bus lines

bus1gp.jpg

t4uvwo.jpg

I rarely post on here anymore as it is evident the asylum is being run by the retards for the most part. Anyway.

Yeah Qatar handed over cash for the 2022 World Cup. Get over it. Do you seriously believe for one moment Russia didn't make backhanded deals, threaten gas supplies or buy off the African vote for 2018? Do you honestly think Beijing and China didn't use untowards influence to get the African vote for 2008? Do you not recall that the Sydney Games were held in mid to late September and ya know what - the NBA figured out a way to get their players there and all the TV networks found a way to schedule the Games.

Seriously - if anyone thinks sports bidding is not riddled with deals, golden handshakes and buy offs then you need to leave this site, do some research and then come back once you have a f*cking clue.

Here are the facts -

Qatar does need to invest in local sport. However they are not the first hosts with a dubious sporting track record at the Olympics (ahem South Korea - they didn't win a gold until Montreal, Spain won a whopping 5 gold prior to Barcelona and they competed at 15 Games prior to hosting). As for buying athletes - if I had the choice between Bulgaria or Somalia or Qatar I'd be moving to Doha real quick. It happens. The Australian team has benefitted from a number of athletes switching alliances to us.

Weather wise - yeah it will be hot. But so was Atlanta (got to 35 degrees celcius a few times), Athens was a scorcher, Beijing was steamy and humid (also got into the mid 30's). People will be able to handle it.

Experience wise - Doha has more relevant recent experience with a multisport event then any other 2020 bidder. The Asian Games were huge and despite some early transport issues (ahem, Sydney, Atlanta, Athens, Vancouver...) were well run and well attended.

The 2016 bid got a higher score than Rio and was bumped due to the dates. The IOC is flexible this time. Will Doha win? Probably not - but don't dismiss them out of hand. Despite my own hope for a Dubai Games, Doha has an amazing package on offer and the IOC may look at it like this - the Middle East is a new area to visit, Doha is safe and politically stable, lets throw them a bone, fob 2022 off to the Americans and then let the big European guns fight over 2024.

Thatnotmypuppy, Wow that's certainly a unique way of thinking about sport bidding processes :blink: , Interesting. I wish more people think out of the box and have a similar mentality ;) .

Intoronto1125, EVERYTHING, I need to see criticism with proof and sources to back it (links, pics, videos, news etc). I know for a fact that being a fairly compact city bid transport, finance, security will be excellent.

Archived