So

Who do you think will get lowest and highest in the following categories?

Out of Doha, Madrid, Baku, Rome, Istanbul and Tokyo

Government support, legal issues and public opinion Highest: Rome Lowest: Madrid

General infrastructure Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku

Sports venues Highest: Madrid Lowest: Baku

Olympic Village(s) Highest: Rome Lowest: Baku

Environmental conditions and impact Highest: Madrid Lowest: Baku or Istanbul

Accommodation Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku

Transport concept Highest: Madrid Lowest: Istanbul

Safety and security Highest: Rome Lowest: Baku or Doha

Experience from past sports events Highest: Rome Lowest: Baku

Finance Highest: Doha Lowest: Baku

Overall project and legacy Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku

Wow i know alot of those are Baku but i just dont have a high hope for them

Also some of these are based on 2016 olympic turn outs

I know that government support lowest Madrid might seem weird but many arent really hoping for an olympic bid as the public think there are better ways to spend there money.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Analysis Rome Pro - It has hosted the games before. It mostly needs to upgrade a few venues. Con - The major financial crisis in Italy. Analysis - if the Games were awarded now it would be in

altough Istanbul is one of the most visited cities in the world (6, or 7. ) 1 million mre than rome and milions more than Tokyo and Madrid. may be thats why the hotel number boomed in 5 years period.

I think it is a little bit too early to make an "evaluation" of the bids - I am waiting for the different mini-bid-book to "evaluate" the different bids... Of course I have a subjective opinion/perce

Government support, legal issues and public opinion Highest: Istanbul Lowest: Madrid

Environmental conditions and impact Highest: Madrid Lowest: Doha ( desert no enviorment:D)

Accommodation Highest: Istanbul Lowest: Baku

Transport concept Highest: Madrid Lowest: Baku

Safety and security Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku or Doha

Experience from past sports events Highest: Istanbul ( yet 3 world champs in 3 years) Lowest: Baku

Government support, legal issues and public opinion Highest: Istanbul Lowest: Madrid

Environmental conditions and impact Highest: Madrid Lowest: Doha ( desert no enviorment:D)

Accommodation Highest: Istanbul Lowest: Baku

Safety and security Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku or Doha

Experience from past sports events Highest: Istanbul ( yet 3 world champs in 3 years) Lowest: Baku

Accommodation is obviously not Istanbul, so I assume that is an error

I don't think Istanbul will get the sports experience nod ahead of Rome, but will be on par with the top tier of bidders.

Evaluation rankings:

Tier 1: Excellent. There will be very little separating these. Distance and potential congestion may put Rome behind the others, but experience, existing venues, and know how would be difficult to beat.

Madrid

Rome

Tokyo

Tier 2:

Istanbul: ideally a much improved bid

Doha

Tier 3

Baku: will not shortlist

Accommodation is obviously not Istanbul, so I assume that is an error

I don't think Istanbul will get the sports experience nod ahead of Rome, but will be on par with the top tier of bidders.

Evaluation rankings:

just thinking about the number of hotels and capacity ... as i know Istanbul has much more beds than rome and madrid ( i can be wrong not sure about the cities capacities )

sports experience well i just a bit kidding there but thinking about the last 5 year period and the org. host in the countries and cities ıstanbul is in the first or second place in that ranking

From the IOC's Press release:

The application of Doha will be assessed on dates within the range proposed by the Qatar Olympic Committee - 20 September to 20 October - and accepted, in principle, by the IOC EB at its meeting in Daegu last week.

While accepting the proposal in principle, the EB specifically asked the Qatar NOC for full assurances on the following points:

1. In order to protect the health of the athletes, the IOC will publish a list of events which must be organised at the most appropriate time determined by the IOC (early morning/late afternoon).

2. This scheduling should not be detrimental to the organisation, the broadcast coverage or the spectator experience.

3. Measures should be taken to protect the health of the public and all technical and support staff.

These assurances, along with the other elements of the Qatari application, will be evaluated by the EB in May 2012, as part of the applicant phase of the 2020 bidding process.

IOC

Very interesting to see them specifically single out Doha, and then put them on notice that they will have conditions on what they can schedule in the middle of the days.

Like they're giving themselves insurance ... or an out.

Edited by Sir Rols

Government support, legal issues and public opinion — Highest: Rome - Lowest: Baku

General infrastructure — Highest: Madrid & Tokyo - Lowest: Baku

Sports venues — Highest: Madrid - Lowest: Baku

Olympic Village(s) — Highest: Tokyo - Lowest: Baku

Environmental conditions and impact — Highest: Madrid & Tokyo - Lowest: Baku

Accommodation — Highest: Tokyo - Lowest: Baku

Transport concept — Highest: Madrid - Lowest: Baku

Safety and security — Highest: Tokyo - Lowest: Baku or Doha

Experience from past sports events — Highest: Rome - Lowest: Baku

Finance — Highest: Doha - Lowest: Baku

Overall project and legacy — Highest: Madrid - Lowest: Baku

Madrid has 429 hotels with a total bed capacity of 82894,

Istanbul has 113000 bed capacity

rome and tokyo i cant find

2012 Applicant Phase - Working Group Report - 2004/5

Istanbul - 26,382 rooms in 3-5*

Madrid - 41,588 rooms in 3-5*

I don't see how this would have drastically changed in Istanbul's favour.

Madrid 2016 - 42,837 rooms in 3-5*

By comparison

Chicago 75,000+ rooms in 3-5*

Tokyo, similar if not higher.

Edited by Rafa

inetersting... there is an article turkish tourism minister talking about investments and capacity

2009 there was 94000 beds 3* + in turkey and ,n nxt 3 years it will be about 115000 with the investments he said.

altough Istanbul is one of the most visited cities in the world (6, or 7. ) 1 million mre than rome and milions more than Tokyo and Madrid. may be thats why the hotel number boomed in 5 years period. i dont know

• Like 1

Government support, legal issues and public opinion Highest: Rome Lowest: Madrid

Sports venues Highest: Rome Lowest: Baku

Olympic Village(s) Highest: Madrid Lowest: Baku

Environmental conditions and impact Highest: Madrid Lowest: Baku

Accommodation Highest: Tokyo Lowest: Baku

Safety and security Highest: Rome Lowest: Baku

Experience from past sports events Highest: Rome or Madrid Lowest: Baku

Finance Highest: Doha Lowest: Rome

Overall project and legacy Highest: Istanbul Lowest: Baku

Beds and rooms are different things.

The IOC requires 40,000 rooms of the 3-5 star kind, and I don't think the existing capacity has reached that yet.

Of course, not an issue because it's still much more than Rio had, and Rio also only provided guarantees for quite a low amount hotel rooms of around 10,000 of the 19,000.

altough Istanbul is one of the most visited cities in the world (6, or 7. ) 1 million mre than rome and milions more than Tokyo and Madrid. may be thats why the hotel number boomed in 5 years period. i dont know

Maybe, you're right, Istanbul is the 7th most visited city, so rooms might be alot!

So how come Baku and Doha always come in lowest for security?

I can't speak for Baku, however for Doha I can proudly say its one of the safest cities in the world, including minimal murder rates and minimal crime rates.

You're right. And for 2016, Baku scored much lower than Doha for safety and security. I don't relate Doha to terrorism. I said it could score the lowest because of the possible health issues due to the heat and stuff like that, but I don't know if that's included as part of "safety".

Very interesting

Baku picked in the lowest whilst Rome, Madrid and Tokyo are fighting for the tops

which leaves Doha stuck in the middle

Eliminating only city doesn't seem politically correct to me, but I think I'd be really surprised if Baku was shortlisted.

I think it is a little bit too early to make an "evaluation" of the bids - I am waiting for the different mini-bid-book to "evaluate" the different bids...

Of course I have a subjective opinion/perception about/of the six biding cities and their chances:

quite likely that 2020 will be held here:

* ISTANBUL, TURKEY

Turkey would be a signal for the muslim world and at the same time for democracy in the muslim world - but Istanbul has to make a good bid and has to offer the best for the athletes and the visitors from around the world - I am looking forward for its bid and their webpage

* TOKYO, JAPAN

Japan is shaken by the aftermaths of the earthquake and tsunami - furthermore it is impacted by the financial crisis - the bid in 2016 was good, but of course a new competition is something new and I am looking forward to its bid and their webpage

* ROME, ITALY

The financial crisis has a huge impact on Italy - Rome had a good bid in 2004 - in my point of view 2020 is much too early after 2006 - the venue plan on their webpage doesn't really fit with my opinion and I hope they improve their venue plan...

a chance:

* MADRID, SPAIN

Spain is financially tattered, but Madrid had good bids in the past

a chance, but not really likely in 2020:

* DOHA, QATAR

no financial problem of Qatar, but I doubt that Qatar would be able to host two of the major international sport events in two years time - especially the venues for football doesn't fit with the venues, which are necessary for the Olympic sports

almost nil chance in 2020:

* BAKU, AZERBAIJAN

no financial problems of Azerbaijan, but I doubt that Azerbaijan has the infrastructure to host Olympic Games in 2020 (it will become interesting to see how Baku is able to host the Eurovision Song Contest in may next year (neither ready venue nor enough accomodation at the moment))

• Like 1

* ROME, ITALY

The financial crisis has a huge impact on Italy - Rome had a good bid in 2004 - in my point of view 2020 is much too early after 2006 - the venue plan on their webpage doesn't really fit with my opinion and I hope they improve their venue plan...

[

Just curious; Y do some people view Turin (a WINTER games) as a negative for a Rome SUMMER games. There are many that say winter & summer games are different & shouldn't have any impact on one another.

With that in mind, shouldn't Nagano 1998 also be "much too early" for a Tokyo 2020? I know it's a bit further back, but by Olympic-timelines, it really isn't. Geopolitically, I don't think Turin would be that much of an impedance, if any, on a Rome 2020 bid.

Just curious; Y do some people view Turin (a WINTER games) as a negative for a Rome SUMMER games. There are many that say winter & summer games are different & shouldn't have any impact on one another.

With that in mind, shouldn't Nagano 1998 also be "much too early" for a Tokyo 2020? I know it's a bit further back, but by Olympic-timelines, it really isn't. Geopolitically, I don't think Turin would be that much of an impedance, if any, on a Rome 2020 bid.

I differ in that issue between bids from Europe and e.g. from Asia - since Europe is the continent with more countries capable to host Winter and Summer Games than any other continents, the hosting of Winter Games has an impact on a later Summer Games bid.

I think Europe isn't only impacted by the continenatal rotation but by an internal European rotation too...

I think Europe isn't only impacted by the continenatal rotation but by an internal European rotation too...

I would agree with this. But I take it more as Summer to Summer or Winter to Winter having more of an impact than Winter/Summer or Summer/Winter. And considering other than ambiguous Istanbul being in the mix, the only other Euro contender for Rome is Madrid. And IMO, I think Barcelona (Summer) hinders Madrid (again Summer) moreso than Turin (Winter) would impede a Rome (Summer) bid.