2020 Evaluation

For staters, Baku & Doha are in countries where they are the ONLY realistic cities in their countries for a bid. Whereas their NOC's wouldn't have to spend a lot of time with a domestic bid process to try & find a suitable city like in countries like the United States, where there are potentially at least half a dozen cities that the USOC could choose from for a bid. There was NO way the USOC would've been able to perform such a time consuming process in less than a month. It took the USOC over a YEAR in their 2016 campaign to finally come out with Chicago as their 2016 candidate.

Not to mention Baku & Doha are also in less than democratric countries where they can push through such grandeur things like Olympic bids with more ease. In the United States, things have to go through due process. You can't just throw something together at a whim simply because a small few would desire to. Doesn't work like that here. Look at Italy, too. It took CONI a whole year to finally declare Rome as their 2020 candidate & forward them to the IOC. You're comparing apples & oranges here.

And seriously. I'm the one not being civil?! :huh: Please enlighten me! Because I told him to shove it? If someone is yelling & having a fit it's only natural to say something. Especially when it's not the first time that he's done it to me. I at least didn't have a fit about it. So I find your accusation completely absurd & quite offensive! You should just mind your own business & stick to the thread.

Well this is my thread.

And from what i saw he was merely sayign they couldve had a chance and you jumped on him with some comments

he didnt say rude comments towards you at the start you did, hence uncivil.

yes it wouldve taken time but im sayign if they did have a city at the ready they may have had a chance

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF are you talking about, Darcy! When did I "jump" on him with "rude" comments! He's the one who chimed in on post #60 about my post. We've always been in disagreement about this time & time again, but yet he always feels the need to tell me that I can't make my own determination based on what we know & let me have MY OWN opinion. God knows that's what he accuses me of.

Then he starts yelling & chastising me on post #67! So how does that translate into me not being civil! And then you have the audacity to accuse me of jumping & make rude comments towards him?! Are you reading the same fricken thread?! Because you're doing nothing but slandering at this point & I don't appreciate it one bit! Some thread you got going here. Are you two secret lovers or something, cause that's what it sure fu@king seems like! :rolleyes:

WTF are you talking about, Darcy! When did I "jump" on him with "rude" comments! He's the one who chimed in on post #60 about my post. We've always been in disagreement about this time & time again, but yet he always feels the need to tell me that I can't make my own determination based on what we know & let me have MY OWN opinion. God knows that's what he accuses me of.

Then he starts yelling & chastising me on post #67! So how does that translate into me not being civil! And then you have the audacity to accuse me of jumping & make rude comments towards him?! Are you reading the same fricken thread?! Because you're doing nothing but slandering at this point & I don't appreciate it one bit! Some thread you got going here. Are you two secret lovers or something, cause that's what it sure fu@king seems like! :rolleyes:

Sorry if it wasnt clear i meant the rude comments part of my post towards Baron.

He wasnt chastising you, you and baron kept on saying he was second guessing the lack of american bid. When (from what i know) he hasnt said that (at least not on here anyway) he was saying if they had bid they'd have had a chance

You can have your own opinion but from what ive seen this is a forum and people can argue i just think that petty name calling(not saying you did) arent needed in these debates.

Quote from you "You were holding on to hope, while the rest of us were merely looking at things at face value" Post 67 was directly arguing with that quote

You said he was holding onto hope but from what hes said us shoudlve sat out 2020 but now hes secodn guessing

Seriously, lovers? How pathetic, you cant even debate something so you have to bring up soemthign demoralizing towards us.

Stop posting all this crap to other people and learn to argue without picking on the other person personally.

Stop posting all this crap to other people and learn to argue without picking on the other person personally.

That is so 1975, Darcy. You can't stop hiding behind your internet moniker...thus personal attacks & name-calling are VERY VALID in today's internet communications. It's a lot more fun too and exciting!! Grow up, old timer!!

:lol::lol:

j/k. ;)

• 9 months later...

^The visit dates of the of the Candidates cities

The visit dates, based on logistical considerations and not the official order of drawing of lots, will be as follows:

4 – 7 March 2013 Tokyo

18 – 21 March 2013 Madrid

24 – 27 March 2013 Istanbul

* sorry for my typo/edit error

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Games legacy blueprint crucial to convincing IOC: Coe

(Reuters) - The ability of Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid to provide a convincing reason why they want to stage the Olympic Games and not just prove that they can will be the key to winning the right to host the 2020 edition, Sebastian Coe said on Tuesday.

Mapping out an attractive "Games legacy" would be crucial to gaining the backing of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members at a vote in Buenos Aires in September, the former athlete and London 2012 organising committee chairman told a Europa Press forum in Madrid.

"People get focused on the how but being able to explain to people why you are doing this is really important," Coe said.

"Why does a city really want to deliver a Games and what do they want to do with it?

"That's what I think IOC members want to hear, it goes way beyond simply being able to deliver.

"The real issue for any organising committee is to figure out what the exit strategy is and that's a 10-year programme."

Coe, a vice president of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and widely seen as a future Olympic-movement heavyweight, was careful to avoid making any comparison between the three bids.

Each city delivered their candidature files to the IOC in January and on-site inspections by an evaluation commission began in Tokyo this week.

Madrid is next, from March 18-21, followed by Istanbul from March 24-27 before the commission publishes a technical assessment at the beginning of July.

LEGACY TARGETS

"The most critical stakeholder that any city has to deal with is of course the people that live in that city," Coe said.

"The fundamental question is why? How are you going to use the Games for the future? You have to be clear what those legacy targets are."

The London Olympics were seen as a resounding success despite some prophecies of disaster after the city won the right to host them in 2005.

With the economy struggling and unemployment at record levels, many Spaniards are worried about the cost of hosting an Olympics but Coe sought to reassure them, saying prior knowledge of the financial crisis would not have changed his mind about wanting the Games for London.

"Would we have bid for the Games with hindsight? My honest answer is that not only would we have bid but had we known where the economy was going we would have redoubled our efforts," he said.

He pointed to "almost seven billion pounds of construction work", most of which he said had gone to British businesses and had helped to safeguard jobs.

"In legacy we have targeted 13 billion pounds of business, 11 billion in straight business transactions and two billion in tourism," he added.

"The economic impact of a Games, particularly in a domestic and global economy that is struggling, is actually one that is very crucial."

Reuters

Good article.

Coe is right. it's all about "WHY."

New frontiers aren't winning solely because they are new frontiers. They're winning because their status as new frontiers gives them a compelling "why." For more established sports nations to compete, they have to offer a compelling "why" of their own. "We miss the limelight" isn't a compelling why.

Archived