6 Applicant for 2020

Pure facts

2022 will not make diffrence... It will be europe like it or not, And perhaps a Madrid or Rome win could be harmuful for a Paris or Berlin, a Istanbul or Tokyo will harm Durban... so the USA will gave a real chance in 2024. By the way i didnt mentioned Baku or Doha as a winner its REALLY UNLIKELLY :P

what? :blink: Again, u're not making much sense.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but the euros hoping for 2024 I'm sure are also aware that with Durban in there, it will throw a monkey wrench into the 2024 euro plans. So they can't really think past 2022 concretely. Or at least it's stupid and serves no purpose.

A while back, weren't we all assuming South Africa 2020 and then 2024 to be a massive free-for-all? Well now these European cities are all fighting for 2020 because they know 2024 will be an uphill battle. The European voting block is probably going to do everything they can to ensure a European winner for 2020. The North American block probably wants the same thing because if 2020 goes to Tokyo and 2024 is Durban, then for 2028 it will be an iron-clad lock for Europe. And the Euro block also knows that if they get 2020, they're still back on the board as soon as 2028.

And there's no reason Europe can't double in 2020-2022. Which, if that happens, the USOC probably has an easy win for 2026 if they want it.

A while back, weren't we all assuming South Africa 2020 and then 2024 to be a massive free-for-all? Well now these European cities are all fighting for 2020 because they know 2024 will be an uphill battle. The European voting block is probably going to do everything they can to ensure a European winner for 2020. The North American block probably wants the same thing because if 2020 goes to Tokyo and 2024 is Durban, then for 2028 it will be an iron-clad lock for Europe. And the Euro block also knows that if they get 2020, they're still back on the board as soon as 2028.

And there's no reason Europe can't double in 2020-2022. Which, if that happens, the USOC probably has an easy win for 2026 if they want it.

If 2020 goes to Asia, 2024 will be in Europe, with or without Durban. The Europeans will not create a precedent of over 12 years between 2 SOGs. If Japan (or less likely Qatar) takes 2020, it will make 2024 an European battle. And I still believe that a Tokyo 2020 loss may clear the way for a 2024 win. They might exchange votes with the Euro members in exchange for future support.

If 2020 goes to Asia, 2024 will be in Europe, with or without Durban. The Europeans will not create a precedent of over 12 years between 2 SOGs. If Japan (or less likely Qatar) takes 2020, it will make 2024 an European battle. And I still believe that a Tokyo 2020 loss may clear the way for a 2024 win. They might exchange votes with the Euro members in exchange for future support.

I'm still on the fence about Durban 2024 because some people still insist that if they bid, it's a done deal, while others seem to view it as just another city in the field. You're absolutely right that the Europeans won't want to go more than 3 cycles without a Summer Olympics which is why I think they'll want to land this one in case 2024 isn't all that accessible to them.

Istanbul

- Steadily improved infrastructure since 2005

- Growing list of major events in individual sports and non-sports events

- Economic stability

and others

This of course will require a feasible concept bu the steps have been taken and it is my view that they have a strong chance.

I think the IOC will look favourably on the bid in the Applicant stage if a "new" plan is produced.

Off-topic to a large extent but I have only heard extremely positive things about Istanbul from friends and family who have recently travelled there, including the state of public transport, ambience etc.

Also to throw things into the equation there is 17 IOC members that will not vote for Istanbul under any circumstance (Israeli, Greek, French, German, Austrian, Norwegian, Russian and Swiss members). So after Rogge and those 17 you are looking at a voting pool of 95. Minus the 10ish Japanese, Italian and Spanish members and you are down to 85 votes. So to secure victory Istanbul would need as many as 57 of those 85 votes. I cannot see Istanbul being able to do that without a Bach or a Nuzman or a Pound.

This race is so much more about 2022 and 2024 then it is about 2020. The Austrians, Germans, Swiss, French, Swedish, Norwegian, Russians and Chinese all want a games sooner then later and the Italians and Spaniards are in the race. Getting the games out of Europe for 2020 is desirable to almost everyone in the world but the Americans and Chinese. Neither of which have substantial power within the IOC.

Don't know why the Euro winter contenders for 2022 would be running shy of a 2020 victory for Europe. Every European summer games hosting since 1992 has been immediately followed by a Euro WOG hosting. At the very least, it just shows how there is far less influence between SOG and WOG hostings than many people make out. At the other extreme, if you wanted to read more into the pattern, you could almost say it's a prerequisite for Europe to host a SOG in order to win the next WOG hosting.

what? :blink: Again, u're not making much sense.

Maybe isnt explained very clearly, What I mean is that, there is not much influence on the 2020 race from 2022.... Perphaps on 2024! Got it?

... "no worries, M. Rogge, we'll just build an air-conditioned dome over the city!"

So, they probably have the solution for the Global Warning! :rolleyes:

Maybe isnt explained very clearly, What I mean is that, there is not much influence on the 2020 race from 2022.... Perphaps on 2024! Got it?

Well, 2020 would not be impacted too much by 2022 because 2020 will HAPPEN first. And remember, about 35-40 or so voters come from non-Winter countries so they couldn't care less about the jockeying for position of 2022 candidates. So again, your statement really didn't make any sense.

Also to throw things into the equation there is 17 IOC members that will not vote for Istanbul under any circumstance (Israeli, Greek, French, German, Austrian, Norwegian, Russian and Swiss members). So after Rogge and those 17 you are looking at a voting pool of 95. Minus the 10ish Japanese, Italian and Spanish members and you are down to 85 votes. So to secure victory Istanbul would need as many as 57 of those 85 votes. I cannot see Istanbul being able to do that without a Bach or a Nuzman or a Pound.

You make false assumptions about the voting, even invoking outdated political grudges. Russia and Turkey are more like allies today. Greece is not also going to take the Cyprus affair into play. Besides, some of these members are heads of IFs, which binds their voting motives more to their IFs than to their countries.

You make false assumptions about the voting, even invoking outdated political grudges. Russia and Turkey are more like allies today. Greece is not also going to take the Cyprus affair into play. Besides, some of these members are heads of IFs, which binds their voting motives more to their IFs than to their countries.

Russia wants a Summer Games, and they are planning to bid in 2024. Euro 2020 would eliminate any chance at Russia 2024.

Russia wants a Summer Games, and they are planning to bid in 2024. Euro 2020 would eliminate any chance at Russia 2024.

Russia will not bid for Euro 2020, WC is two years earlier.

And what would the Russian members do if 2 or 3 European cities get to the final rounds of voting? Are they going to walk away?

The scenario of a few European bid cities facing each other in the final rounds is very likely in this bid process if I would follow your line of reasoning. If you look at it from another point of view, all voters from countries outside Europe that have aspirations for 2024 will vote for an European city to win and that includes the whole American and African blocks of the IOC. After all, Europe has never waited longer than 12 years, which would make 2024 a lock for them.

Anyway, reports of the 2016 voting indicate that there was significant block voting, even with Madrid and Tokyo facing a similar situation to what Euro and Asian bidders are probably going to face in the 2020 election.

when the bid cities will revealed the logo and masterplan...i really wait for that!

The logo probably by december or november. The masterplan in 2013 but the mini bid boks by february 15th ;)

Archived