6 Applicant for 2020

Pure facts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely interesting about Doha. Yeah, the E.B. "accepted" their dates, but it's also saying, HOWEVER, blah, yada, etc. Doha is being extra scrutinized here than any of the others. So the E.B. isn't giving the "all green" here.

So no, Doha is not "no doubt" going to be short-listed then, like some on here so simplistic believe, merely cause their dates were excepted this time. And the extra emphasis on them being highlighted to be very clear on some of the other crucial elements reinforces this. Looks like the "chance" for the one to join Baku on the losing bench could be Doha, & not Istanbul.

Extremely interesting about Doha. Yeah, the E.B. "accepted" their dates, but it's also saying, HOWEVER, blah, yada, etc. Doha is being extra scrutinized here than any of the others. So the E.B. isn't giving the "all green" here.

So no, Doha is not "no doubt" going to be short-listed then, like some on here so simplistic believe, merely cause their dates were excepted this time. And the extra emphasis on them being highlighted to be very clear on some of the other crucial elements reinforces this. Looks like the "chance" for the one to join Baku on the losing bench could be Doha, & not Istanbul.

Yeah, like they're already writing their escape clause.

No doubt the Qatari will bend over backwards to promise whatever it takes ...

... "no worries, M. Rogge, we'll just build an air-conditioned dome over the city!"

So basically, however you define the individual components, it's Europe versus the Middle East.

I voted for Rome as likely winner in the poll, but thinking over it, I think the time might be really ripe for Istanbul now. The perfect compromise between the two regions, and a great time for the IOC to be seen holding the hand out supporting and embracing a progressive, friendly and moderate Muslim country.

from london2012 facebook-

The International Olympic Committee has announced today that six cities are to apply to host The Olympic Games in 2020. The cities are: Baku (Azerbaijan), Doha (Qatar), Istanbul (Turkey), Madrid (Spain), Rome (Italy) and Tokyo (Japan). Which of these six cities would you like to see host the Games?

That is your opinion, I have my opinion. We shall see next summer...

It is and will be a conquest between: Europe & Asia/Middle-East

And Istanbul is the only city between them. I hope it will be Istanbul's time ..

The Olympic Flame Handover will be from;

2016 Rio | Christ the Redeemer ==> to ==> Mevlana the Souphist | Istanbul 2020

This only will give a big appeal/impact/message to whole the world in the time of economicle crises years nowadays and till 2020 ..

regards

fatih

It is and will be a conquest between: Europe & Asia/Middle-East

And Istanbul is the only city between them. I hope it will be Istanbul's time ..

The Olympic Flame Handover will be from;

2016 Rio | Christ the Redeemer ==> to ==> Mevlana the Souphist | Istanbul 2020

This only will give a big appeal/impact/message to whole the world in the time of economicle crises years nowadays and till 2020 ..

regards

fatih

Maybe during the applicant phase, but I see the candidature phase being strictly a Euro showdown between Rome, Madrid and Istanbul. There is a ballpark chance of Tokyo pulling a shocker, but my cards are on the Euro bids.

That is your opinion, I have my opinion. We shall see next summer...

It's very apparent that it's more than just my opinion. The Executive Board has clearly singled Doha out with todays 2020 applicant announcement. They seem to be getting prepared in the likely event that Doha doesn't satisfactorily answer all the concerns in their questionaire already highlighted by the E.B. in this press release. So it's pretty obvious that by no means is it a "no doubt" deal for Doha.

Wow. Just 6 cities in the applicant stage that want the 2020 Olympic Games? Talk about interest in the low point. Hasn't been like that, since the bids for the 1988 Olympic Games was just between Seoul and Nagoya only. It looks like there is really no point in having a "short list" here because of just 6 bids. Of course, I could be wrong and the IOC may choose only a couple of them to move on to the finalist stage later on.

another bet from zaptoit :) i really enjoyed it while reading :D

"Starting saving your frequent flyer miles -- the finalist cities for the 2020 Summer Olympics are all from across the Atlantic.

The six finalists who submitted their bids to the International Olympic Committee before Friday's (Sept. 2) deadline are all from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Sorry, Ecuador, no shot put for you.

The finalists are: Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Istanbul, Doha (in Qatar), and Baku (in Azerbaijan).

All finalist cities are repeat applicants, but only Rome and Tokyo have previously hosted the games.

According to reports, British oddsmakers put Tokyo down as the 2-1 favorite. But we prefer to make our own odds around here.

Rome: 5-1. 2020 seems a good target for Italy to have finally washed off the dirt and grime left behind by the cast of the "Jersey Shore."

Madrid: 7-1. If Penelope Cruz refuses to be Olympic mascot, Madrid's chances take a big hit.

Doha: 25-1. Average July temperature in Doha is 106. AVERAGE. (Which somehow didn't stop Qatar from landing the 2022 World Cup, but still.)

Baku: 50-1. Most members of the IOC do not know Azerbaijan is a real country; instead, they just think people keep sneezing funny.

Tokyo: 1000-1. It's a fine city, but we don't like those hoity-toity British oddsmakers telling us what to do.

Istanbul: 3-1. Athletes will delight in two weeks of singing that "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" song."

any idea when the order of presentation be announced?

It was mentioned in the ioc press release

* The cities will be listed in alphabetical order until such time as the official drawing of lots is carried out by the IOC EB in December 2011. The order of drawing of lots will then be used until the election of the 2020 host city.  

Archived