2020 - the First Poll

Sir Rols

2020 Olympic Games Bids  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cities make the Candidates Shortlist for 2020? (choose all you think will get through)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  3. 3. Who would you LIKE to win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see Rome taking Madrid down with them. This is Madrid's third consecutive bid, they have a solid Olympic history and the memory of Samaranch is still alive. Because of economic issues I don't know that Madrid can win (I used to think they could). I think they can make the final though.

The thing is with Madrid though, and I don't know how true this is of Rome, they have very little to build.

If they were proposing a bid anything like the last four summer Games, which - with the first three - seemed to increase exponentially in size to a point where London seems to some people to be "small" when really it is an Athens sized Games in terms of construction, then they'd be in trouble. As it is, with each new bid Madrid has been able to say they've got more on the ground than in the last bid, and that's quite impressive considering they were never short of venues in the first place.

An Olympics in Madrid could actually be profitable and good for their economy in the short term; an uncomplicated hosting which will boost confidence and the economy in Spain. Recent Games have all been about long term visions of regeneration, pouring money into new suburbs that can and will be a good investment for the future, but which will take 20 years to come to full fruition even after the Games have left town. Madrid hasn't these worries, they've got stuff on the ground and they can host a Games, I don't suppose anyone in the IOC would doubt that even with the economy as it is.

On top of this, as we know, Spain has a pretty strong record within the IOC. They could easily have beaten London if the wind was blowing slightly differently in 2005, and they seemed to have a block of support for 2016.

I really wouldn't rule them out. They may not be in a good place ecnomically, but they are proposing a Games where, arguably, this doesn't matter too much. The tricky thing for them is, as it always has been, convincing the IOC to go with such a plan over the glitzier looking ones and to overcome the Barcelona 92 argument (which obviously gets weaker as we get further from those Games).

The thing is with Madrid though, and I don't know how true this is of Rome, they have very little to build.

If they were proposing a bid anything like the last four summer Games, which - with the first three - seemed to increase exponentially in size to a point where London seems to some people to be "small" when really it is an Athens sized Games in terms of construction, then they'd be in trouble. As it is, with each new bid Madrid has been able to say they've got more on the ground than in the last bid, and that's quite impressive considering they were never short of venues in the first place.

An Olympics in Madrid could actually be profitable and good for their economy in the short term; an uncomplicated hosting which will boost confidence and the economy in Spain. Recent Games have all been about long term visions of regeneration, pouring money into new suburbs that can and will be a good investment for the future, but which will take 20 years to come to full fruition even after the Games have left town. Madrid hasn't these worries, they've got stuff on the ground and they can host a Games, I don't suppose anyone in the IOC would doubt that even with the economy as it is.

On top of this, as we know, Spain has a pretty strong record within the IOC. They could easily have beaten London if the wind was blowing slightly differently in 2005, and they seemed to have a block of support for 2016.

I really wouldn't rule them out. They may not be in a good place ecnomically, but they are proposing a Games where, arguably, this doesn't matter too much. The tricky thing for them is, as it always has been, convincing the IOC to go with such a plan over the glitzier looking ones and to overcome the Barcelona 92 argument (which obviously gets weaker as we get further from those Games).

I agree heartily with your post. The only thing I would add is that perception counts for a great deal. Madrid will have to thoroughly convince the IOC that no matter what happens economically, there will be no fallout on the Olympic movement. After Greece and increasingly gargantuan Games the IOC cannot afford to be perceived as a fiscally irresponsible, reality-be-damned luxury.

I do expect to see Tokyo and Madrid in the final.

dont force us to play belly dancer card :/ no men can resist this... 2020 belly dancers at the opening ceremony.. :/ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: damn good :D

Main reason I support Istanbul ;) hahaha

I dont know why but i think Rome will be the "Chicago" of the 2020

Main reason I support Istanbul ;) hahaha

I dont know why but i think Rome will be the "Chicago" of the 2020

I dont see that at all. If Rome loses it will be for totally different reasons than Chicago did. Rome has no problems with a revenue deal. Chicago wasn't on the brink of economic collapse. I see no parallels whatsoever.

I dont see that at all. If Rome loses it will be for totally different reasons than Chicago did. Rome has no problems with a revenue deal. Chicago wasn't on the brink of economic collapse. I see no parallels whatsoever.

No no... Im not saying in that sense... I mean. Chicago was seen as a favorite and loose really early on the election day... Rome will be the same... Just a feeling.

I don't see Rome taking Madrid down with them. This is Madrid's third consecutive bid, they have a solid Olympic history and the memory of Samaranch is still alive. Because of economic issues I don't know that Madrid can win (I used to think they could). I think they can make the final though.

Sorry a few people misinterpreted me

I meant if Italys economy goes under it will most likely pull spain under aswell which would cancel the bid

Sorry a few people misinterpreted me

I meant if Italys economy goes under it will most likely pull spain under aswell which would cancel the bid

cant edit my quote sorry

I dont know about the spain bid

it might be succesful it might not be

i dont know if the IOC will be able to put faith in italy and spain with the current economic state

i highly doubt they can trust italy i mean the whole worlds eyes are focusing on them

Archived