2020 - the First Poll

Sir Rols

2020 Olympic Games Bids  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cities make the Candidates Shortlist for 2020? (choose all you think will get through)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  3. 3. Who would you LIKE to win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo

Tokyo is a stones throw away from pyeongchang

Rome and Madrid are also pretty close to London aswell for that matter

There is a difference between sumemr and winter but if your saying that sochi wil affect that bid pyeongchang should affect tokyo plus sochi to 2020 is 6 years. pyeongchang to tokyo is only 2 years. and then rome and madrid is 8 years BUT its summer not winter which could affect it more

You're just spliiting hairs here, since the real point I was making is, what's the geopolitical attractiveness for the IOC going to the Caucasus on a regular basis. Never has happened before, & it ain't about to start now. And this is while putting Baku's lack in technical ability aside.

And yes, Sochi is a Winter host & Baku is a Summer "bid", but how many times on these boards are other people pinning Winter & Summer bids against each other. It happens on here all the time. "Oh, Rome ain't gonna get it because of Turin's Winter Games. New York's 2012 chances are going to be hindered by Vancouver 2010 (when the 2012 race was going on). And also the "no North American bid has a good chance for 2020 cause of Rio 2016".

And yes, even Tokyo & PyeongChang are being thrown in there now. But let's not forget that Beijing was a mere TWO votes away from clenching 2000 despite Nagano 1998, & PyeongChang almost ended up with 2010 despite Beijing 2008. Why? Because there was a strong geopolitical desire to go to these places. But Baku-koo? Please. Not when we have OTHER more exotic, much more technically capable & powerful places on the 2020 applicant Olympic roster to choose from. Even Doha can just throw-up a sh!t load of cash to try & 'woo' some of those more finicky IOC'ers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yes, even Tokyo & PyeongChang are being thrown in there now. But let's not forget that Beijing was a mere TWO votes away from clenching 2000 despite Nagano 1998, & PyeongChang almost ended up with 2010 despite Beijing 2008. Why? Because there was a strong geopolitical desire to go to these places. But Baku-koo? Please. Not when we have OTHER more exotic, much more technically capable & powerful places on the 2020 applicant Olympic roster to choose from. Even Doha can just throw-up a sh!t load of cash to try & 'woo' some of those more finicky IOC'ers.

FYI, dear friend. I like your way of describing things. You're right, but we must be aware of the fact that Azerbaycan is also a oil/gas country like Qatar is. Azerbaycan has also the mony to bring a decent even/if not a superb clusters plan as Baku is now a very mondaine and chique city btw. Even more appealing than Doha (if you look at promotional videos on youtube)

Than I would say that Baku is more convincing at almost/close to the same parallell as Istanbul. But the only 1 big problem/obstacle in direct sight is that the Environement of Baku is really dirty, especially the oil fields just outer-baku. But then Baku has more green then Doha does.

Oh gosh, you know, every city has advantages and disadvantages. Doha and Baku will follow the footsteps of Istanbul by bidding and bidding and bidding and ..

:)

FYI, dear friend. I like your way of describing things. You're right, but we must be aware of the fact that Azerbaycan is also a oil/gas country like Qatar is.

Thanks, fatixxx. And yes, I am aware that Azerbaijan is also an oil rich country. But like I said earlier, I just don't see the IOC giving the Caucasus region Olympic Games on a consistant basis. And even if the IOC were to unfortunately surcome to the flashyness of oil money, I'd still have to say that they would do it with Doha. A region of the planet that has yet to see an Olympic Games, & the Qataris' ambitions to make everything bigger & better.

Plus, I've also said before, Baku is merely a much smaller, less sexy, cheaper knock-off of Istanbul. If that's the case, why not go for the REAL thing then? ;) Plus, Istanbul has been putting in their Olympic efforts for over a decade now. While Baku is still the new kid on the block. The Azerbaijani's still have work to do.

ke nako .. PLLIZZZ STOP THIS SPAMM .. :blink::mellow::angry:

no it is not spam, it's fact that we have nowadays meaningless repetition of same hosts, Rome, Tokyo, Spain,(USA is different because of its size and diversity) The world has to be given a chance to see new hosts, in 70 years the world witnesses about 15 OG's of each kind. by the way, your current comment about Instanbul being the city where, once ago, three empires rules the world is sharply nationalistically curved. it is meaningless to stress this, please relax the intensity. And no empire has ever ruled the whole world, not spam.

no it is not spam, it's fact that we have nowadays meaningless repetition of same hosts, Rome, Tokyo, Spain,(USA is different because of its size and diversity) The world has to be given a chance to see new hosts, in 70 years the world witnesses about 15 OG's of each kind. by the way, your current comment about Instanbul being the city where, once ago, three empires rules the world is sharply nationalistically curved. it is meaningless to stress this, please relax the intensity. And no empire has ever ruled the whole world, not spam.

ke nako .. plizz stop with your stupid and idiot comments.

You have repeated all over whole the forum the same paragraph !! I meant that spam so don't ****-up my empire-concept !! Ananymous IDIOT !!

Well, with such a small field of applicants that want to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games, my 2 picks right now would be between Istanbul and Madrid. Too bad that France is not putting forward a bid because I would have chosen Paris, which I think would have bid if given the circumstances, because it would be one of the front-runners for getting the Games.

You're just spliiting hairs here, since the real point I was making is, what's the geopolitical attractiveness for the IOC going to the Caucasus on a regular basis. Never has happened before, & it ain't about to start now. And this is while putting Baku's lack in technical ability aside.

And yes, Sochi is a Winter host & Baku is a Summer "bid", but how many times on these boards are other people pinning Winter & Summer bids against each other. It happens on here all the time. "Oh, Rome ain't gonna get it because of Turin's Winter Games. New York's 2012 chances are going to be hindered by Vancouver 2010 (when the 2012 race was going on). And also the "no North American bid has a good chance for 2020 cause of Rio 2016".

I dont want baku to get it

I was just pointing out stuff in your argument

I do realize that istanbul has bid for a while and they deserve it, I would be very happy if they won it.

In fact you have swayed me a little just now i think i may prefer Istanbul more then Doha

Maybe doha in a few years but istanbul have worked there way up and have bid for a while

Baku has a while to go but i think Doha might be sooner then we think.

Anyway maybe Istanbul 2020 is my vote :D

The hearth says Rome, the mind Istanbul

I think this time is Istanbul to loose, if they make a stupid mistake or a stupid war they may loose it. If they will make a flawless bid and a good campaign they will land the first SOG to Turkey

Rome may win if instability and risks play a huge part in the decision making: even being in a country that has been in a financial storm the Olympics in the eternal city - a city which already has or is building pretty much most the sport facilities needed to bid - are a very maneagable enterprise for the 7th largest economy in the world.

Tokyo may win if both the first ones make considerable mistakes or Istanbul mistakes and Italy falls into a really serious financial crisis. Otherwise it's a no go IMHO

Madrid, Baku and Doha cannot win even thought the latter scare most people...but SOG and WC in 2 years is a lot even for a large country...for Qatar...too risky

The hearth says Rome, the mind Istanbul

I think this time is Istanbul to loose, if they make a stupid mistake or a stupid war they may loose it. If they will make a flawless bid and a good campaign they will land the first SOG to Turkey

Rome may win if instability and risks play a huge part in the decision making: even being in a country that has been in a financial storm the Olympics in the eternal city - a city which already has or is building pretty much most the sport facilities needed to bid - are a very maneagable enterprise for the 7th largest economy in the world.

Tokyo may win if both the first ones make considerable mistakes or Istanbul mistakes and Italy falls into a really serious financial crisis. Otherwise it's a no go IMHO

Madrid, Baku and Doha cannot win even thought the latter scare most people...but SOG and WC in 2 years is a lot even for a large country...for Qatar...too risky

my heart says Istanbul but mind rome :)

all will be clear after 2012 .. its the most unpredictable games ever i saw.

2004 it will be between athens and rome like everybody predicted and 2008 beijing with n hesitation. 2012 paris an london were favorites and 2016 Chicago or rio . this time it cn be tokyo madrid istanbul and rome even doha :S

my heart says Istanbul but mind rome :)

all will be clear after 2012 .. its the most unpredictable games ever i saw.

2004 it will be between athens and rome like everybody predicted and 2008 beijing with n hesitation. 2012 paris an london were favorites and 2016 Chicago or rio . this time it cn be tokyo madrid istanbul and rome even doha :S

+ 1000. totally agree this is the most wide race simce the 96's one. its between those 4 citys... Well, doha maybe, baku i dont think so.

It seems that developing countries with emerging economies are seducing the IOC. After all, they have performed very well delivering great games such as Beijing, Athens, Barcelona, Seoul, Sarajevo, Moscow and Mexico City. Now we witnessed awards to Brazil, Russia and South Korea. Politically it benefits the IOC opening new markets and leaving good legacies in terms of infrastructure, political stability, social growth and sport development. I think Turkey has a lot of chances to get the 2020 Olympics, because it follows the pattern of these sort of countries that have succeed organizing amazing games.

The only thing that Istanbul should work a lot is in Public Relations with their neighbors such as Bulgaria, Cyprus, Armenia and Syria. In the other hand, Istanbul should convince other Islamic countries that Turkey is a best choice to represent the first muslim city to host the Olympics.

The only thing that Istanbul should work a lot is in Public Relations with their neighbors such as Bulgaria, Cyprus, Armenia and Syria. In the other hand, Istanbul should convince other Islamic countries that Turkey is a best choice to represent the first muslim city to host the Olympics.

And that includes people claiming that "...Istanbul would be the first muslim city to host (an) Olympics." You will get arguments from Olympic historians who will claim that it was Sarajevo 1984 which was the FIRST predominantly muslim city to host an Olympics. NOT ISTANBUL!

Get your facts right and it might still win.

And that includes people claiming that "...Istanbul would be the first muslim city to host (an) Olympics." You will get arguments from Olympic historians who will claim that it was Sarajevo 1984 which was the FIRST predominantly muslim city to host an Olympics. NOT ISTANBUL!

true. but Yugoslavia was not mostly populated muslim thats another point of view. :)

Sarajevo isnt too musulm.. In fact I THINK they are ortodox

I don't know about sizes but Rome's one has always claimed to be the largest in Europe, in Western Europe at least, together with London's.

well thats a very gentle movement from italians. i dont see that much muslims in rome but next to St. Peter basilic a mosque is very symbolic.

well thats a very gentle movement from italians. i dont see that much muslims in rome but next to St. Peter basilic a mosque is very symbolic.

It was mostly a duty towards the Italian Islamic community which usually doesn't have enough places of worship.

So, Rome's mosque works like a big, national hub for Italian Muslims.

Doha should make it, even with the WC in 2022, the whole fuss about being non-listed for 2016 is more then enough reason to let them slip through. After all, if they can score 6.7 in the last one, they'll definitely get a 6's or 7's (though somewhat unlikely) with considerably more than what was on offer for 2016.

This means Baku is likely out probably scoring in the 5's range or barely making a 6.0. If they do reach the borderline, then perhaps the IOC might be lenient enough to let them slip through. Then it's truly anyone's game.

Well I think religion doesnt matter, what matters ia the cultural diffrences, Rome may have the biggest mosque but isnt Musulm culture... Its the home of the vatican.

In the other hand, i think they will socre something like this:

Madrid 8.3

Tokyo 8.2

Rome 7.8

Istanbul 7.3

Doha 7.0

Baku 6.1

Archived