2020 - the First Poll

Sir Rols

2020 Olympic Games Bids  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cities make the Candidates Shortlist for 2020? (choose all you think will get through)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo
  3. 3. Who would you LIKE to win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games? (pick one)

• Baku
    • Doha
    • Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Roma
    • Tokyo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, the votes dictate that it'll be a Rome/Istanbul showdown. While Doha & Baku-koo get the heeve-ho early on.

But not to put a damper on it, rols. But could your poll be 24hours premature? Until we actually know the final list. Although, unless it's someone like Durban :D , I can't see the dynamics changing too much.

But not to put a damper on it, rols. But could your poll be 24hours premature? Until we actually know the final list. Although, unless it's someone like Durban :D , I can't see the dynamics changing too much.

Well, it's September 2 both here and in Lausanne now. I think anyone else would have been revealed now. I can't see who else would likely join now anyway.

I guess we'll know for sure when the mod sets up separate forums for all the contenders.

Azerbaijan is European (it competes solely within Europe, unlike say Kazahkstan).

eur_azia_bord.jpg

Boundaries of the Caucasus. The issue of the Caucasus frontiers is constantly under review and fervent debates are still held on this issue. The question of whether the Caucasus is located in Europe or Asia is one of interest to many, and the answer is closely connected to the problem of the border between Europe and Asia. There are several viewpoints on this issue (Beruchashvili, 1996):

1. The Europe-Asia border passes through the Kuma-Manich depression, which in geological times connected the Caspian and Black Seas. In this regard, the entire Caucasus belongs to Asia.

2. The Europe-Asia border passes along the border of South Caucasus countries with Iran and Turkey. In this case, the entire Caucasus is in Europe.

3. The borders pass along the Main Caucasian Range, which is the most important factor determining regional climate. In this respect, the northern part of the Caucasus is in Europe and the southern in Asia. However, from the geological viewpoint, the Caucasus is a single entity, and overall geographically there is much in common between its southern and northern parts.

4. The rivers Rioni and Kura (Mtkvari) divide Europe and Asia. Herodotus, a Greek geographer of the 5th century B.C., shared this viewpoint. Nevertheless, neither the Rioni nor the Kura is difficult barriers to pass. Thus, the Colchian lowland (which is crossed by the river Rioni), Shida (Inner) Kartli plain and the Kura-Araks lowland (crossed by the river Kura) are a single entity from the geographical viewpoint.

5. The border between Europe and Asia passes along the landscape borders. In this case, it is connected with the landscapes typical to Europe and Asia and passes along the Javakheti-Armenian highlands with landscapes typical to Asia. At the same time, it penetrates the territory of Turkey and Iran, where humid-sub-tropical arboreal landscapes are present in the Pontic Mountains and Elbrus. The authors of this report share this viewpoint, and hence single out the Caucasus as a separate eco-region among 200 eco-regions existing in the world. This opinion is considered the most substantiated from the geographical and environmental viewpoints.

I'd say, with the final list, IMHO, it's a open race for Madrid, Rome and Istanbul.

Istanbul still a bit ahead. But this is my opinion now. Let's wait bid plans and bid books and root for the one who can put the best party for Handover Ceremony in Rio, right, Baron? ;)

why nobody votes on Madrid :(

It's only a POV from me, but I think people around the globo wants more and more new destinations for the Sports Events (maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I feel).

I'm surprised that so many bet on Rome and so few on Tokyo. I mean, Italy has hosted Olympic Games just five years ago. OK, the USA also hosted Olympic Games only four (1980/1984) or six (1996/2002) years apart, but Italy doesn't have the importance and infrastructure of the USA.

I also don't think that the IOC is very fond of awarding every second Summer Olympics to Europe now. For the 2012 race, it was almost inevitable due to the strong bids of London and Paris against the not quite uncontroversial New York bid. But now I expect Tokyo to be a very strong bid, especially after their good showings at the 2016 presentations and vote in Copenhagen.

And also the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang are not a stumbling block for Tokyo. Just look at Barcelona 1992/Lillehammer 1994 or Athens 2004/Torino 2006. Even in modern times it is not a taboo for the IOC to award the Summer and the subsequent Winter Games to the same continent (and vice versa).

So I voted for Tokyo as the winner, and Tokyo also as the city I would like see to win. I eliminated only Baku for the shortlist.

I'm surprised that so many bet on Rome and so few on Tokyo. I mean, Italy has hosted Olympic Games just five years ago. OK, the USA also hosted Olympic Games only four (1980/1984) or six (1996/2002) years apart, but Italy doesn't have the importance and infrastructure of the USA.

I also don't think that the IOC is very fond of awarding every second Summer Olympics to Europe now. For the 2012 race, it was almost inevitable due to the strong bids of London and Paris against the not quite uncontroversial New York bid. But now I expect Tokyo to be a very strong bid, especially after their good showings at the 2016 presentations and vote in Copenhagen.

And also the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang are not a stumbling block for Tokyo. Just look at Barcelona 1992/Lillehammer 1994 or Athens 2004/Torino 2006. Even in modern times it is not a taboo for the IOC to award the Summer and the subsequent Winter Games to the same continent (and vice versa).

So I voted for Tokyo as the winner, and Tokyo also as the city I would like see to win. I eliminated only Baku for the shortlist.

so best way to open 2024 race both for asia and europe i choosing istanbul for 2020 :P

I think only Baku will fail to get shortlisted. I think approval of the date change is pretty much a sign Doha will be.

Who I think will win? At this early stage I'd say Rome.

Who I want to win? Weirdly, I'm completely undecided, apart from knowing I don't want Doha to win. Literally I have no favourite, so the cities will have to fight to win my approval. :ph34r: I'll give Baku my vote in this poll so as not to distort the votes for the cities I think will shortlist.

I think im the only one but im really hoping Doha or Baku get it,

i know 2022 fifa will affect qatar and the low rankings of baku in 2016 will show again will affect but to go back to rome again to go back to tokyo again seems annoying to me.

istanbul i wouldnt mind see

but if i could pick in order : doha, baku, istanbul, madrid, rome, tokyo

I think im picking all the ones that will be knocked out first but this is what i hope for

As many people have said there is a difference between summer and winter. Although i really do see your point. Tokyo does have a high chance and does get overlooked i think maybe because of the earthquake and that but i would loovee to see osaka bid again :) they do have a chance

i dont think madrid will and rome is a chance i do want doha though although its europe asia (whatever) its in a difference region then before.maybe tokyo is a chance they all are except of baku

Archived