Baku 2020

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ By one key official. Not everyone. So it might not be the best ever, nor should it be the worst. If anything, it could be average and probably in the end would be.

Some problems at the beginning, but ended up alright at the end, sounds a little bit like the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics to me and could very well be in a similar vein, organizational wise.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, Armenian participation is not an issue. Armenia took part in different sport, cultural and even political events in Azerbaijan. The last time Armenian national boxing team took part in AIBA World Boxing Championship in September-October 2011 in Baku, Azerbaijan so no worries.

Second, the rumour and unproved news like the one published by BBC at time when Baku is bidding to 2020 Olympics Games is not acceptable. I wish BBC first learns how to prove their sources and then they claim news to be true.

Third, Baku 2016 was a weak and very first for Azerbaijan bid. It was definitely a bid for experience rather than for being shortlisted. This time the bid of Baku will be more professional, the citys has tremendously improved its insrafstructure and sport venues stand so the biggest aim for now is to be shortlisted and then let's see. Important is that Baku is on a right track. Go Baku!

Some recently completed and under construction sport venues in Baku, Azerbaijan:

Sport-Concert Complex - Reconstructed in 2008

DSC_0517.jpg

Serhedchi Arena - Opened in 2009

a02-1.jpg

KÜR Canoeing Base (the biggest and the most advanced in ex-USSR) - Opened in 2010

2010_10_14-Centralni-deo-sa-hotelom-bazenom-fontanom-i-tornjem-4.jpg

Baku Tennis Academy - Opened in 2011

6566-1.jpg

Further, the construction of some 4 modern stadiums (each with up to 15 000 seast) for FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2012 has been conduction with two of them opened in 2011

Dalga Arena

58667_ori_dalga_arena-1.jpg

Shuvelan Arena

makeim.jpg

The biggest in ex-USSR FC Baku base

Biggest in ex-USSR FC Baku base

02.jpg

Some venues are currently under construction:

U/C Baku Olympic Stadium - 65 000 seats

Baku_olympic_stadium.jpg

5982-5b0c737daeee3e9fa713386a8e485300.jpg

U/C Baku Gymnastics Arena - 8000 seats

x_5582c237.jpg

Reconstruction of Tofig Bahramov Stadium

x_74bdd3d8.jpg

makeim-1.jpg

U/C Baku Crystal Hall (Indoor Arena) - 25 000 seats

The design of Baku Crystal Hall will be very similar with this proposal for Universiade 2011

dezeen_Universiade-2011-sports-center-by-von-Gerkan-Marg-and-Partners_8.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

- Baku Aquatics Center

Unfortunately I do not have renderings of the winning project. There is only this proposal made by Architect Radulovic (Serbia). The construction of Baku Aquatics Center will start in 2012

image1.jpg

Dunno what is the problem with the last few pictures :unsure: Normally IMG codes should work here as it happened with the rest pictures I uploaded today

Bidding for Olympics is not all about sport venues but also infrastructure of cities. I invite you to check the last few pages of this thread about Baku http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=610923&page=72 so that you can see the latest updates in city development, transport, hotels etc. projects ;)

Wow. Didn't realize Baku is that well developed...or at least everything which seems to have sprouted yesterday. But see, amongst the 6 candidates, you and Doha have the freshest paint. You are up against 4 older, more known quantities who offer a very cosmopolitan atmosphere and proven hosting ability. At least (I think) you would have far better weather than Doha, at the correct time.

Good luck.

Dunno what is the problem with the last few pictures :unsure: Normally IMG codes should work here as it happened with the rest pictures I uploaded today

@ Galandar,

welcome to our boards - only a special number of pics are shown in one post - when you post more IMG codes in one post than this number only the link of the other ones are shown...

@ Galandar,

welcome to our boards - only a special number of pics are shown in one post - when you post more IMG codes in one post than this number only the link of the other ones are shown...

Well, I did not know it. Thanks for explanation.

Here is the rest pictures I tried to post earlier

Reconstruction of Tofig Bahramov Stadium

x_74bdd3d8.jpg

makeim-1.jpg

U/C Baku Crystal Hall (Indoor Arena) - 25 000 seats

The design of Baku Crystal Hall will be very similar with this proposal for Universiade 2011

dezeen_Universiade-2011-sports-center-by-von-Gerkan-Marg-and-Partners_8.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

- Baku Aquatics Center

Unfortunately I do not have renderings of the winning project. There is only this proposal made by Architect Radulovic (Serbia). The construction of Baku Aquatics Center will start in 2012

image1.jpg

Wow. Didn't realize Baku is that well developed...or at least everything which seems to have sprouted yesterday. But see, amongst the 6 candidates, you and Doha have the freshest paint. You are up against 4 older, more known quantities who offer a very cosmopolitan atmosphere and proven hosting ability. At least (I think) you would have far better weather than Doha, at the correct time.

Good luck.

It's been developed over the last few years, with more on the way.

This 2020 bid will at least offer double than what was available on paper than the 2016 bid. It should be capable of building whatever necessary by 2020.

KÜR Olympic Rowing Base

2010.10.14-Unutar-tornja-7.jpg

The construction of the base started in 2007 and finished in October 2010. The complex includes administrative building, swimming pool, a hotel, sports hall, rowing club, tennis court, hangar and cottage. This complex is currently the biggest in ex-USSR and some national teams e.g. Russia use it for trainings.

gr07.jpg

gr11.jpg

gr08.jpg

gr10.jpg

gr06.jpg

2096.jpg

KÜR Rowing Base is a modern venue to be used for any kind of international competitions including Olympic Games

Migincaur_front1.jpg

Wow I didnt knew Azerbaijan had all these venues... :o:) they deserved hosting olympics because they are inverting alot in sports... but maybe the YOG are more realistic. Good luck for 2022

İt has been recently announced that Baku may bid for 2018 YOG ;)

Hi Galandar,

we 'know' each other from Skyscrapercity - any news about the ESC2012?

Hey :) The preparation works for ESC 2012 are going on well. Please check the latest updates at SSC Azerbaijan http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1930 namely in topics 'Eurovision Song Contest 2012' and 'Baku Crystal Hall'

Hey :) The preparation works for ESC 2012 are going on well. Please check the latest updates at SSC Azerbaijan http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1930 namely in topics 'Eurovision Song Contest 2012' and 'Baku Crystal Hall'

I had to search for the thread about the "Baku Crystal Hall" (I hadn't found it first) - was it decided which proposal should be build?

İt has been recently announced that Baku may bid for 2018 YOG ;)

Well, they deserve it if they bid for the 2018 yog i will suport them :) good luck Baku.

By the way does anyone knows when will this ^ stadium will finish its reconstruction?

Archived