Buenos Aires 2018

Apparently Argentina has one of the largest expanding economies in the world, maybe that is why they are bidding.

First, there are no trustable numbers about Argentina, since their govt. makes up all of them. Some independent sources says Argentins is growing between 5% and 7% (Govt. says 9,5%), but having a 27% of inflation (Govt. says 13%)....

The growth of the GDP, if calculated in pesos, would be near zero.

Secondly, they had an almost 40% of reducing in their GDP only for 2000-2001, all the growth they had is still "paying" the loss of that age.

Third, Argentina has no credit to get international financing. Few countries still lend Argentina money, specially neighbours like Venezuela and Brazil.

Argentina have BIG problems about public financing, that's why my question: where Argentina will find money to build things? By cutting other things to the people, or will Brazil or Chile pay for these games?

Fourth, the infra-structure of Buenos Aires conurban makes Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo looks like Tokyo...

Not to mention the 80s decade noisy buses or the moon-like sidewalks in Downtown.

The subway of Buenos Aires is the most dirty place I ever entered in my life...

Worse than some rural area Bus Station's restrooms in Brazil!!!

Fifth, the Copa America 2011 says it all: Argentina is not in shape NOW to host any big event.

A bid for 2018, without money, can be only a joke, or a menace to the people of Argentina.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

argentina government just declared to be illegal to publish real inflation numbers. hahaha

soon to leave democracy.

argentina government just declared to be illegal to publish real inflation numbers. hahaha

Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Disputing Government Inflation Numbers Illegal In Argentina

From the Wall Street Journal

Three of the most outspoken consultants have been singled out for additional criminal charges under a financial-speculation law. Their offense, in the eyes of the government, is insisting in press interviews or in their own published reports that Argentina's real inflation rate is between two and three times the official government rate of 9.9% annually.

At least no one in the U.S. has been charged with disputing the CPI.

soon to leave democracy.

First, there are no trustable numbers about Argentina, since their govt. makes up all of them. Some independent sources says Argentins is growing between 5% and 7% (Govt. says 9,5%), but having a 27% of inflation (Govt. says 13%)....

The growth of the GDP, if calculated in pesos, would be near zero.

Secondly, they had an almost 40% of reducing in their GDP only for 2000-2001, all the growth they had is still "paying" the loss of that age.

Third, Argentina has no credit to get international financing. Few countries still lend Argentina money, specially neighbours like Venezuela and Brazil.

Argentina have BIG problems about public financing, that's why my question: where Argentina will find money to build things? By cutting other things to the people, or will Brazil or Chile pay for these games?

Fourth, the infra-structure of Buenos Aires conurban makes Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo looks like Tokyo...

Not to mention the 80s decade noisy buses or the moon-like sidewalks in Downtown.

The subway of Buenos Aires is the most dirty place I ever entered in my life...

Worse than some rural area Bus Station's restrooms in Brazil!!!

Fifth, the Copa America 2011 says it all: Argentina is not in shape NOW to host any big event.

A bid for 2018, without money, can be only a joke, or a menace to the people of Argentina.

:lol: :lol: Maybe you should become an advisor for the Argentinian government.

Why? If they still have a media trying to advise them... So far!!!

Since the Argentine government now decide how much paper newspaper can buy or not...

Google "Argentine Media Law". wink.gif

Instead of making jokes on me, Intoronto, go read a little about the great nation of Argentina their government.

Then you come back and discuss the points (who are valid) as an adult. mad.gif

Why? If they still have a media trying to advise them... So far!!!

Since the Argentine government now decide how much paper newspaper can buy or not...

Google "Argentine Media Law". wink.gif

Instead of making jokes on me, Intoronto, go read a little about the great nation of Argentina their government.

Then you come back and discuss the points (who are valid) as an adult. mad.gif

I wasn't making a joke -.- I actually believe your commentary on the issue and you seem to have a lot of knowledge it thats why I suggested it.

I wasn't making a joke -.- I actually believe your commentary on the issue and you seem to have a lot of knowledge it thats why I suggested it.

Yes, you are really serious on asking the Argentine leftish government to take the advises from a Brazilian guy who is nothing more than a poster in a internet forum about Olympic Games...

C'mon Intoronto!!! Earth is calling you back!!!

Yes, you are really serious on asking the Argentine leftish government to take the advises from a Brazilian guy who is nothing more than a poster in a internet forum about Olympic Games...

C'mon Intoronto!!! Earth is calling you back!!!

Well according to your commentary I think you would do a great job lol

I pity the Argentines for having such smug neighbors.

According to any argentine, their neighbours are France, Spain, Germany and Switzerland... ;)

Well according to your commentary I think you would do a great job lol

You are something right, they made a poll asking Argentines who would be a perfect president for the country...

First place: former President Lula from Brazil...

Funny!!!

Look at this article on La Nacion newspaper of Buenos Aires!!!

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1442209-industriales-de-brasil-presentaran-ideas-a-cristina-para-bajar-el-deficit

Brazilian industrials present ideas to President Cristina to lower the deficit

Yes, it's hard to admit, Intoronto, but you were right!!! B)

One thing I would perhaps like to see Buenos Aires do is construct a new arena with much more seating than Luna Park, say, 15-18,000. How far is Buenos Aires on that. If it's just planning and discussing that's OK. Luna Park is a treasure and must be kept as such. But the city is big enough for another venue in the future.

I would like to see a renovation of River's stadium... It seem to 70's -.-

A roof over the stadium like what you see with a lot of them in North America, Australiasia, Asia, Europe, and, increasingly, South America (like what Brazil is doing right now), would be a start and some great renovations to seats and the now-standard luxury boxes and suites. River Plate Stadium does have that type of potential.

Interesting, but I thought they wanted the more prestigious 2019 Pan American Games?

If anything, if a European country that can't host the Olympics like a Belgium, Sweden etc. bids I see them as the strong favourite.

The Swedish Olympic Comittée has said that they are planing to bid, with either Stockholm, Göteborg (Gothenburg) or Malmö. =)

Here is a article about it, in Swedish... but try google translate (= http://www.dn.se/sport/sverige-vill-soka-ungdoms-os

• 4 weeks later...

In part, I would like to see Buenos Aires hosting the games.

Somehow, this would be major to Brazil after-2016, since Argentine industry is in ruins and probably Brazilian company would supply this game organization. It would be nice to continue this kind of industry in So America.

And maybe only something big like this can awake Argentine people from the **** politics issue they have and unite the country again around a useful cause, different than new appeals over Falkland Island... A real stupid thing Argentines love to talk about.

Argentina is a country that, without their politicians and stupid politic system, could have done a bright path to reach developed world by now, and much before any other country in South America.

But they have "Peronismo" and this is killing any chances of recovering.

Wish them good lucky.

The fascinating country of invented numbers

http://www.economist.com/node/21548242

Since 2007 Argentina’s government has published inflation figures that almost nobody believes. These show prices as having risen by between 5% and 11% a year. Independent economists, provincial statistical offices and surveys of inflation expectations have all put the rate at more than double the official number

What a trustable place for some Olympic Games, uh?

Yay! Now we will have between two or six years of Danny talking each day about how terrible is Argentina and how they have the worst economy in the world.

Yes, Argentina's INDEK is a chaos and inflation is really high, but that doesn't say they are in crisis and being unable to pull a good event.

I'm worried that the bid could be just the idea of Mauricio Macri (mayor of Buenos Aires) who has showed is unable to do at least one good single thing. I hope the Argentine government gets involved to pull a nice bid... working just on a local level will be an embarrasing nightmare.

A roof over the stadium like what you see with a lot of them in North America, Australiasia, Asia, Europe, and, increasingly, South America (like what Brazil is doing right now), would be a start and some great renovations to seats and the now-standard luxury boxes and suites. River Plate Stadium does have that type of potential.

Agree. Monumental Stadium should be totally renovated. It was a shame that it didn't happen with Copa America (only used at the final match).

• 4 weeks later...

Yay! Now we will have between two or six years of Danny talking each day about how terrible is Argentina and how they have the worst economy in the world.

I wouldn't be suprised if Argentina get very few votes only in this election.

They are collecting enemies all around the globe with stupid importation politics, threats over British Islands in Southern Atlantic, not paying their International debts...

These last two news were very strong.

1 - Argentine govt. prepared seminaries in US and Europe to show the opportunities in the country. Invited several companies from both markets to watch and discuss...

NOBODY has shown up in both events.

2 - King of Spain (the "mother country" of Argentina, as they say) will be touring Latin America: Mexico, Chile and Brazil (!!!). No Argentina at all - It's the third time King of Spain tours South America without Argentina.

Keep dreaming, KRATK.

BTW: Do you have some Argentine relative? Never seen a Chilean so in love with the biggest Chile's enemy in the globe.

but that doesn't say they are in crisis and being unable to pull a good event.

Copa America 2011 is not a nice example, right?

Or, tell me why Argentina lost in the past the Formula 1 event and are trying (and again not allowed) to get it back?

Well starting a mini trade-war with the UK, and by implication the EU, ain't going to help their chances (not to mention their economy given that, if reciprocated there'll only be one loser).

Meh, if Argentina feels like it's a good idea to piss off the 6th biggest internatiional investor in their country that's up to them I guess.

They started a trade-war with European Union and Mercosur (Uruguayan and Brazilian Industrials and Govts. are mad with Argentine Govt.)...

They started a diplomatic war with US because some weapons they "arrested" from US Army in Buenos Aires Airport...

They re-started tensions with UK about the isolated Falkland Islands...

That's what I call a friendly country for an International event.

Indeed, the patience of Chilean Govt. also has gone...

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1457408-pinera-se-quejo-a-la-presidenta-por-las-trabas-de-moreno

• 3 weeks later...

Add now big tensions with Spain since Argentine Govt. EXPELLED Spanish Petroleum Company Repsol from the country, breaking unilaterally contracts signed in the past.

Spain and the European Union stated yesterday that "Argentina is not considered a friend country of us anymore".

Add to this, Spain is finding in South America other countries mad with Argentina and is trying to get support to even demand Argentina...

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/04/17/economia/1334641203.html

Buenos Aires 2018. Keep dreaming.

Oh, wow, Argentina is attacked by the Chilean government that can't even control their own people and the Spanish one that isn't even able to lower the unemployement below 20%. Funny that even the Brazilian governement supported Argentinean one (yes, they should also relatives of Argentina to understand that irrational hate is not a good argument)... because with few exceptions, most of the oil companies are state-owned. Argentina was reverting just an stupid decision made in the irrational wage of neoliberalism in the 90s.

Before talking about YPF, you should read something beside opposition newspapers in Argentina or Spanish ones. A good example is this piece on The Guardian (of course, written by someone with relatives from Argentina): http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/18/argentina-critics-oil-nationalise

I've heard tons of times how every change in Latin American economies will 'upset' the foreign investors, how they will run if we change taxes and we will end in poverty. And you know? Foreign investment has even incresed... even in Argentina. Why? Because even with all that problems, they still earn a lot of money. In fact, it's just plain stupid what Spain is doing upseting Argentina when they are the ones that can lose: Argentina can cut anytime their supply of soja, which represents almost 50% of the Spanish market, or start expropiating several companies like BBVA or Banco Santander; none of those ideas would be 'good' for a governement already in crisis.

Argentina is free to choose their own economic and political model, whether we like it or not, and certainly Cristina Fernández is more worried about how to sustain the industrial growth of Argentina than hosting Olympic Games (something Spain should learn perhaps). To be honest, I don't like the protectionism and I prefer the free market economy I have -and I hate going to Buenos Aires and see how cellphones cost the triple than the ones in Santiago because they were produced in Tierra del Fuego instead of being imported from South Korea-... but Argentina is not the first nor the last country with protectionism. Brazil? China? Russia? South Korea, anyone?

Is Argentina able to host the Young Games? I think they are, but only if their government is interested in them, exactly what didn't happen in the Copa América, which was an organizational nightmare. At this moment, I haven't seen gestures from the government yet so I'm not really sure if they will happen at the end. To be honest, I don't see sports as a priority for the Argentine gov.

Archived