How much can a Doha 2020 Bid weaken an Istanbul 2020 Bid?

fatixxx

There is no proof that Qatar bribed anyone for the 2022 World Cup, there wasn't and investigation and there wont be an investigation. Yes i am pretty sure money played a major role HOWEVER don't deny that the great parts of the bid also were the major Marketing moves and extraordinary PR, Not to mention Qatar's Emir travelling the world himself to have more support for the bid.

Well, how come Bin Hammam was caught bribing the CONCACAF delegates?

BTW, I haven't gotten my $2.5 mil and I already gave your coordinator my PayPal account. :lol:

j/kidding. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we win or loose not a problem but bribe the members and play this game unfair is another problem. while % 95 of world thinks and believes qatar buy votes at wc, i really dont understand how they can be that ignorantto try to get the games to see thm which means fairplay. first they need to clear their past and convice that they get wc with their own efforts not with the green washingtons

Did someone proved that Qater paied bribery? (I was not inside WC 2022 bid race). If not, we can not accuse them. If yes, they probably will not get the games.

Did someone proved that Qater paied bribery? (I was not inside WC 2022 bid race). If not, we can not accuse them. If yes, they probably will not get the games.

No proof for the bid race. But in the election for FIFA president in June, Bin Hammam, the Qatari delegate and like #2 man after Blatter, was caught bribing delegates at the CONCACAF convention in May. He was suspended for the election in June; and when they did further investigation, was indeed proven that large wads of cash were handed out at the CONCACAF meet. So, Bin Hammam was expelled shortly thereafter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/8657067/Mohamed-bin-Hammam-banned-from-football-for-life-after-Fifa-committee-finds-him-guilty-of-bribery.html

Where there's smoke; there's fire.

lol.

Doha will win just like they won 2022. you can't compete with their "strategy".

my country doesnt have that much money to donate.. we already gave 300m to somalia and anothr 300 m usd to gazza and an 200m to new libyan government while these muslim countries donate other important things

Doha won't be a threat. They would need over 50 votes to secure the 2020 Games and I don't see any of the other candidates in this race giving the IOC enough doubt to switch their vote to Doha and elect the smallest Olympic host city and country in generations (if not ever). Qatar only has two Olympic bronze medals and their largest Olympic team was in 2008 with 22 athletes.

I do think if there is a suspect over Qatar on the World Cup, this will hurt a lot Doha 2020 bid...

Anyway, I'm still confident Istanbul wins this race due the financial... Maybe not by landslide as I was thinking few days ago. ;)

lol.

Doha will win just like they won 2022. you can't compete with their "strategy".

MrCatra, what is this strategy exactly? What do you understand by it. :unsure: Normally seen in my opinion though, the strategy of the Qatari sheik is to establish personal contacts with members of the IOC as he did with the FIFA-members.

If this is what you meaning than we can't compete with it as Emre said a few messages above. Meanwhil Turkey is giving financial support to countries in need, the Qatari's and UAE sheiks are building big/large water canals in the shape of their names. So much mony spoiled in the last deccade. I think this is not the behaviour to get an Olympic Games on Qatari soil.

I do think if there is a suspect over Qatar on the World Cup, this will hurt a lot Doha 2020 bid...

Anyway, I'm still confident Istanbul wins this race due the financial... Maybe not by landslide as I was thinking few days ago. ;)

well always the second favorites win the games:D

rome was favorite athens get 2004

beijing was favorite sydney gets 2000

athens was fav. atlanta gets 1996

paris was fav. london gets 2012

chicag was fav. on paper rio gets 2016 ( which i deeply happy like my homecity wins) :D

better to said as the second favorite then:P

MrCatra, what is this strategy exactly? What do you understand by it. :unsure: Normally seen in my opinion though, the strategy of the Qatari sheik is to establish personal contacts with members of the IOC as he did with the FIFA-members.

If this is what you meaning than we can't compete with it as Emre said a few messages above. Meanwhil Turkey is giving financial support to countries in need, the Qatari's and UAE sheiks are building big/large water canals in the shape of their names. So much mony spoiled in the last deccade. I think this is not the behaviour to get an Olympic Games on Qatari soil.

bribes darling... he means bribe strategy :D as i understand :S

i really do think that the doha bid wont be the worst

although many of the cities have bid before and are recognized from what we saw for 2016

the ioc wants to move to neweer places and although the bids are good and solid they 3/5 are in the same continent which had hosted the olympics 8 years earlier

i know asia had hosted 12 years earlier and tokyo has a chance but western asia for doha is somewhere unseen before.

i do think if an america city had bid they wood've got it but by not bidding they go for 2024 which surely will be durban

which leaves 2028 for either america or europe (if asia gets 2020)

my opinion it wil be

rome

doha

madrid

istanbul

tokyo

i really do think that the doha bid wont be the worst

although many of the cities have bid before and are recognized from what we saw for 2016

the ioc wants to move to neweer places and although the bids are good and solid they 3/5 are in the same continent which had hosted the olympics 8 years earlier

i know asia had hosted 12 years earlier and tokyo has a chance but western asia for doha is somewhere unseen before.

i do think if an america city had bid they wood've got it but by not bidding they go for 2024 which surely will be durban

which leaves 2028 for either america or europe (if asia gets 2020)

my opinion it wil be

rome

doha

madrid

istanbul

tokyo

2020 will be in europe its certain. but if rome or madrid gets it paris berlin has to wait 2 euro sog to pass... this time the race is not like 2012 but more strategic than ever... asia card. arab card muslim votes euro votes. future hosts other 24 28 candidates favor.. its really a mixture ..

hope istanbul wont be another chicago disaster.

Doha won't be a threat. They would need over 50 votes to secure the 2020 Games and I don't see any of the other candidates in this race giving the IOC enough doubt to switch their vote to Doha and elect the smallest Olympic host city and country in generations (if not ever). Qatar only has two Olympic bronze medals and their largest Olympic team was in 2008 with 22 athletes.

Just imagine the outcry if after all that's happened with FIFA, Doha still ends up getting the Olympics. We all said the WC 2022 was impossible, even with bin Hanmam pulling some strings. Granted, it's harder to lobby for 50 votes within the different types of IOC members (I can't see many of the younger athletes actually voting for Doha) than it was to garner 13 FIFA votes, but I wouldn't put anything past them.

The IOC aren't FIFA. But then again, the idea of an Olympics in Doha (they did an Asian Games) isn't as remotely as silly as an entire World Cup in one city.

Exactlly! Rember Doha games were the best asian games....

Just imagine the outcry if after all that's happened with FIFA, Doha still ends up getting the Olympics. We all said the WC 2022 was impossible, even with bin Hanmam pulling some strings. Granted, it's harder to lobby for 50 votes within the different types of IOC members (I can't see many of the younger athletes actually voting for Doha) than it was to garner 13 FIFA votes, but I wouldn't put anything past them.

Ya know what though.. odds makers didn't think Qatar getting the World Cup was impossible. At times, I think they were even the favorite. We all didn't believe it would happen, but I don't think it's the biggest shock that they did. Certainly doesn't mean they're likely to pull this off, let alone that it would come on top of them having already won the World Cup. Is it possible? Yes. But it's that much more unlikely given that they'd done it once before and would now have to do it again.

Ya know what though.. odds makers didn't think Qatar getting the World Cup was impossible. At times, I think they were even the favorite. We all didn't believe it would happen, but I don't think it's the biggest shock that they did. Certainly doesn't mean they're likely to pull this off, let alone that it would come on top of them having already won the World Cup. Is it possible? Yes. But it's that much more unlikely given that they'd done it once before and would now have to do it again.

It's the opposite for me. Doha is more technically capable of hosting the Summer Games than Qatar as a country is of hosting the World Cup (though even both propositions are the worst choices in their respective bidding races). Especially if they propose to do it in October. Qatar doesn't have a bin Hammam in the IOC, but they have less convincing to do now that they already have the WC in the bag. (That's technically-speaking. As far as legacy and other sporting arguments go, they have none.)

Doha has the technical capability, but they have no sporting tradition. That's the problem. Think about the enthusiasm of the the host nations' teams as they enter the stadium last. Whether it's the Aussies, the Greeks or the Chinese -- it's electric. Can you see Qatar coming out last? It would be pathetic.

They have the money. They could do it, but I can't imagine that the atmosphere would be very exciting. Hosting the Olympic Games is about more than footing the bill. Doha wants prestige. They don't care about the sports.

As for the World Cup, again hindsight is 2020. I don't remember anyone on the boards sticking up for Qatar and arguing that they were a serious contender. Their victory says more about FIFA than anything else. Perhaps it's not so shocking now that we've all accepted how corrupt the organization is, but there's no way that Qatar was the best choice for 2022.

I don't think anyone here on the board gave Doha much chance for 2022. And I still remember the bookies also had the USA, and Australia just behind, as the two main favourites. I think they were very widely perceived as no real chance, or at best a very outside chance.

Which, I suppose, doesn't augur well for underestimating them again in this race. But i don't think lightning will strike twice, the IOC is a very different cow from FIFA, and last year's result left a stench that isn't gonna disappear for a while. Doha is the Moscow 2012 of the 2020 race (I'd imagine they'll even cut the live feed to the Buenos Aires announcement if/when, they drop out first).

The IOC aren't FIFA. But then again, the idea of an Olympics in Doha (they did an Asian Games) isn't as remotely as silly as an entire World Cup in one city.

And that's the irony. Sporting tradition aside, Doha's probably a far better location for an Asiad or an Olympic Games than for a WC. I'd probably rate them a stronger chance in this race if they hadn't have snatched the WC and were instead campaigning on their Asian Games record. But I think the lingering stench of the 2022 win has killed their chances.

Archived