Will Istanbul be considered a European city or Asian city by the IOC?

SantaCruz

Since Istanbul stradles 2 continents and can be considered a European or Asian city by some, what stance will the IOC take? They can't say both. Or can they? Many peole say it's both since half the city is in Europe while the other in Asia (or Asia minor). I think it all depends on what Olympic council Turkey is in.

Since Istanbul stradles 2 continents and can be considered a European or Asian city by some, what stance will the IOC take? They can't say both. Or can they? Many peole say it's both since half the city is in Europe while the other in Asia (or Asia minor). I think it all depends on what Olympic council Turkey is in.

Turkey's NOC is affilated with the European Olympic Committees Council.

Turkey has also been anxious to join the EU.

However, since the IOC denies the existence of their unofficial continental rotation policy anyway its really almost irrelevant.

If they wanted to follow up Istanbul 2020 with Paris 2024 -- they could justify it to themselves.

Or...

If they wanted to follow up Istanbul 2020 with Tokyo 2024 -- they probably wouldn't have much trouble with that either.

As it is, I think there are some IOCers who don't really consider Sochi quite as European as Munich or Annecy....

If they wanted to follow up Istanbul 2020 with Paris 2024 -- they could justify it to themselves.

This is interesting. Would Paris be more likely to join the 2024 fray if Istanbul were to win 2020 vs Madrid or Rome winning. Would be interesting to know how the FNOC would view it.

Let's not forget that Geogia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan are also affiliated with the European Olympic Committees Council. Some people consider those courties European too! Cyprus is also part of the EOC and is a member of the EU and many people consider Cyprus European as well!

*Georgia, *Countries

Sorry, I need to learn to spell check. My english isn't the best just yet.

Archived