Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

2011-12 UEFA Champions League

My wishes to see a Bayern-Barça are still alive! ;)

Barça-Milan's match today wasn't to good as I expected :(

Mmm but don't use the penalties as an excuse, Barcelona would have won anyways ;)

I wanted a 3-0 for Bayern Munich, but the thing is they re both in semifinals!!! :D if things don't change, we'll see Real Madrid-Bayern Munich and Chelsea-Barcelona :D

if things don't change, we'll see Real Madrid-Bayern Munich and Chelsea-Barcelona :D

exactly ! ;)

Real Madrid 5 - 2 APOEL

Chelsea 2 - 1 Benfica

Platini Considers Doubling Champions League, Scrapping Europa League

UEFA president Michel Platini is considering scrapping the Europa League and extending the Champions League to 64 clubs from 2016.

A report in the German newspaper Bild claims that Platini is concerned at a lack of interest in the Europa League and would look instead to double the size of the Champions League while ensuring that smaller nations would also be represented in Europe’s premier competition.

Bild claims that the three highest-ranked domestic leagues in Europe – currently England, Spain and Germany – would each receive six places in the expanded line-up. Four of those six places would go straight into the 64-team group stages – up from three at present – while the other spots would be filled via the play-off round. At present the fourth-placed club in each of those leagues goes into the play-off.

UEFA hoped to revive interest in the Europa League when it renamed the UEFA Cup in 2009 but the competition still generates much lower revenues than the Champions League and Platini is said to be concerned at the disparity between the two competitions.

Any change would take place at the beginning of the new TV deal which is not expected until 2016 and would see the biggest shake-up in European club competition since the creation of the Champions League in 1992.

The decision could result in a revitalisation of domestic cup competitions. In a number of countries, including England, the winners of the equivalent of the FA Cup are given a berth in the following season’s Europa League. Under the new proposal the FA Cup winners would receive a spot in the Champions League play-off round. The English League Cup winners are also currently given a spot in the Europa League along with one other side.

http://www.footballg...-europa-league/

I really doubt that Bild can be seen as a reliable source.

You can't say this -- Bild often is very well-informed and quite often has certain information before all other media outlets. Nevertheless, it's of course a newspaper that would sell its own grandmother just to have a good story.

Mmm it's better the actial format... With 64 teams will be a really long tournament... :S

I am one very happy person right now. Feel bad for Alaba and Babstuber though. I think UEFA should put in the amnesty rule like in the World Cup after the Quarter-finals.

WOO-HOO! I'm sad Barcelona did a really f**cked up match yesterday! But Bayern is in the final!!! I hope they win it!!! :D

Bayern Munich is 20-1-2, +57 goal difference at home this season, scoring 67 goals, allowing 10. Bayern certainly appears to be the favourite.

I'm so happy Real Madrid screwed it!!! Bayern totally deserved the qualification. Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo, your tears are delicious.

Guardiola to quit as Barcelona coach

(CNN) -- He has created one of the most successful teams in football history, but Josep Guardiola will be standing down as Barcelona coach at the end of this season.

His agent and brother confirmed to CNN that Guardiola would explain his reasons at a press conference later Friday.

The decision comes at the end of a disappointing week for the Spanish club, whose European title defense came to a halt just days after a defeat by arch-rivals Real Madrid all but ended its three-season domestic reign.

http://edition.cnn.c...pain/index.html

There were rumours already of his departure, specially after the bad season Barcelona had and after 4 years leading the team.

Many are calling Guardiola departure the end of the Barcelona era (even a brazilian newspaper is comparing this with the separation of The Beatles). Though I'm not quite sure, they still have a great team despite the mistakes of this season, and Tito Villanova (his replacement and long time friend) knows the squad very well. Here's hoping he knows how to lead the team lik Pep did.

So are we going to have talk about Spanish football being in crisis now?

Nope, thought not.

:rolleyes:

Sad news... :( Thanks Pep! Tito Villanova isn't too realible :S but Barça must conitune! Gracies Pep!!! :)

In the pther side CHELSEA-BAYERN the final in Munich, May 19th!!! :D GO BAYERN GO!!!

• Like 1

UEFA will not change Champions League suspension rules

UEFA has ruled out changing its Champions League suspension rules regarding yellow cards for at least three years and has no intention of bringing them in line with the rules used in the European Championship, officials have told players' representatives.

The decision means that Branislav Ivanovic, Ramires and Raul Meireles of Chelsea and Luiz Gustavo, David Alaba and Holger Badstuber of Bayern will all miss the final in Munich on May 19.

Reuters