USA 2024

Athensfan

Hey, for gamblers, it is their mountain Mecca with lots of good skiing thrown in. :D As others have told you, your dislike is entirely personal. It's not your job to begrudge others.

I have a PM from you in which you acknowledge that Reno is unattractive and you would expect Munich to easily beat them. Remember that?

Champion Reno if you must, but calling them a "jewel" is quite a stretch.

Incidentally, I may be more vocal about ReNO than others, but I am most definitely not alone. As I said, major players at ESPN have said straight out that they think Reno is laughable.

So I'm talking to a friend of mine who has made multiple trips to Reno (as a freelancers for ESPN), here's what he had to say..

" not only is Reno one of the most white-trashy towns you'll ever see, that airport is way too small to handle that many people coming in, and even with all the big hotels I don't think there's enough for an event the size of an Olympics.. not to mention anything more than flurries shuts the airport down"

He's been to more than a few cities, both big and small, so I trust his assessment. I still won't go so far as to agree with the idea that its a national embarassment in the making, but especially that last part would concern me.

• Like 1

Sierra Nevadas in plural form? Come on, which is more similar to a jewel...

Granada

granada20die20alhambra20bei20nacht.jpg

or Reno?

reno.jpg

I dunno. Do hundreds of people stay at the cold, no plumbing Alhambra in Granada? No; it's just a monument. Granada is an old city; Reno is a new, contemporary city. It's apples vs. oranges.

Yes, "Sierra Nevadas" can be used in plural form when referring to the mountains in the range. It also differentiates it from the Spanish Sierra Nevada which it is NOT pluralized.

As I've said before; and this is how I think they're going to do it:

Reno - main Figure skating venue - temporary 18,000-20,000 arena

practice rink - the Reno Events center

Short-track Skating and Curling can be housed in either the Rodeo Center (presently, seats 9,000 in rodeo config. Can probably bump that up to 10,000 for short-track) or the Lawlor Events center (10,000 - present 11,600 seating).

IBC/Media Center - the Reno Sparks Convention Center

[sacramento - 2 ice hockey arenas (a new home for the Kings is supposedly coming up)]

So I don't know what Soaring keeps saying about there's NOTHING there.

There isn't that much NEW construction required to be built. The only new, permanent construction needed are: an indoor long-track speed rink; 2 ski jumps; and a luge-bobsleigh track. If California decides to pay for the luge track; then only 2 new, permanent venues are needed in Nevada.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure these things out.

I look forward to when Reno decides to release a venue plan. I'm inclined to agree with the above plan with a few different possibilities.

For ice hockey, perhaps in addition to a new arena in Sacramento that Reno could be the recipient of a new arena with a capacity of 8,000-10,000 as a secondary ice hockey venue that would be used for a future minor league team in Reno. The sooner Sacramento greenlights a new Kings arena the more likely ARCO Arena gets demolished before a bid even officially gets underway. Perhaps the temporary arena used could be the same one from London? Regarding the Lawler Events Center, I thought I remember reading something a while back where the Reno Tahoe Winter Games Coalition ruled out using it because too many seats would have to be removed in order to fit an international ice rink. I view see the temporary arena hosting igure skating and short track speed skating with the Reno Events Center being used for curling. For speed skating, perhaps the much delayed South Tahoe Convention Center can finally get under construction and one of the exhibition halls could be used for speed skating and then converted into exhibition space after the Olympics much like what Torino did.

I think Philadelphia could be an interesting contender for 2024. The 5th largest city in the USA after Houston seems to have all the necessary requirements and is in the middle of the North East corridor.

Events such as Sailing, Rowing and White Water Canoeing could be held in such locations as the Delaware Estuary, Lake Nocamixon or Peace Valley and the Schuylkill, whilst there are a number of sporting venues in place.

Athletics: Franklin Field temporarily expanded to 80,000 from 52,593

The Linc: 68,500

Citizen Bank Park: 43,647

Wells Fargo Center: 20,444

Liacouras Center: 10,200

The Palestra: 8,722

The Pavillion: 6,500

Tom Gola Arena: 4,500

Short of venues for cycling and tennis, there is an existing basis for many venues and with so many local universities (Pennsylvania, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, Saint Joseph's, and La Salle) there seems plenty of post games usage opportunities.

Since LA is coming back into play, I don't see that as a strike against San Diego.

San Diego is gorgeous, but they really don't have the venues. Theirs a little shy on infrastructure too. It's too bad because the city is great. If my job didn't keep me in LA I'd probably move there.....

I found this article to be interesting, & talks about what Athensfan keeps talking about a 'home games'. Dick Pound's comment is also interesting, to say the least. It mainly talks more about Winter Olympic bids, but since there is no "USA 2022" thread, I thought this is as good a place as any, & considering the gist of the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-02-06/no-usa-hosted-olympics-are-on-horizon/52992882/1

• Like 1

San Diego.

Has there ever been an Olympics in perfect climate geography and water? I thought this sprawling city was big enough but no one her thinks so.

:)

I'm just guessing...Munich might've had near-perfect climate. LA was a mite too dry and had some air-pollution issues. But everywhere else was either too hot and/or humid.

BOTTOM LINE: Munich should concentrate on summer bids.

I'm just guessing...Munich might've had near-perfect climate. LA was a mite too dry and had some air-pollution issues. But everywhere else was either too hot and/or humid.

BOTTOM LINE: Munich should concentrate on summer bids.

With stunning alpine resorts and winter sports conditions within a hour ..... would seem a colossal waste

BOTTOM LINE: Munich should concentrate on summer bids so that Reno has less competition.

Isn't Berlin and not Munich the primary target for a German Summer Olympic bid?