• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if everyone in this thread just agrees to agree with you will you please stop? i'm not sure how many more pages of you posting the exact same post on the damn bus drivers getting lost we can take. i

Why do you like to repeat yourself multiple times? Its very annoying.

In sum....

This must be an error. FYI and Quaker have made it quite clear that NYC is not interested in the Olympics.

(Tongue firmly in cheek.)

You know what's funny is that I was actually going to get out in front of this this one and pre-emptively address you on this one. Guess you beat me to it.

I will eat my crow on 1 thing.. I had thought that whatever future NYC Olympic aspirations there might be would not be born out of their past efforts. That it looks like Doctoroff is spearheading this, I am clearly wrong about that. It's interesting though that he's making his pitch through Cuomo and not de Blasio who has made it clear his administration has no interest in backing an Olympic bid. So at this point, it may be too little too late for 2024 to happen for NYC.

But yes, like baron said, there is a spark in New York. And as the saying goes, you can't start a fire without a spark. This gun's for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark

This must be an error. FYI and Quaker have made it quite clear that NYC is not interested in the Olympics.

Here's some water for that burn: water_waves_ocean_ripple_high_quality_an

You know what's funny is that I was actually going to get out in front of this this one and pre-emptively address you on this one. Guess you beat me to it.

I will eat my crow on 1 thing.. I had thought that whatever future NYC Olympic aspirations there might be would not be born out of their past efforts. That it looks like Doctoroff is spearheading this, I am clearly wrong about that. It's interesting though that he's making his pitch through Cuomo and not de Blasio who has made it clear his administration has no interest in backing an Olympic bid. So at this point, it may be too little too late for 2024 to happen for NYC.

But yes, like baron said, there is a spark in New York. And as the saying goes, you can't start a fire without a spark. This gun's for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark

Well I wonder if this has been in the works for a longer amount of time? I'm sure that any future bid would try and incorporate NYC in some way nothing large though based on de Blasio's comments.

I can't speak for Quaker, but I never said that there was "no interest" in NYC. Only that a bid coming from them was UNLIKELY. Just like it was the case with Chicago. But like Quaker said, it may be too little too late for 2024 anyway. Means nothing if the mayors office is still not interested.

But why doesn't this surprise me coming from you. You're so quick to jump on your own "vindication" bandwagon. You get so pissed when people on here "misrepresent your position", yet you never have any problems misrepresenting others & putting words in their mouths. Careful, don't let that tongue of yours get caught in between your molars. :-P

Well I wonder if this has been in the works for a longer amount of time? I'm sure that any future bid would try and incorporate NYC in some way nothing large though based on de Blasio's comments.

This goes back to what Athens and I (and others) have been discussing for a while.. when we're talking about "interest" from a city, it's partly a matter of semantics. FYI and I are in agreement here (I sense a Bobsey twins comment or the like coming).. I never said there wasn't interest either, I just didn't see anything that would amount to a serious bid effort and that hasn't changed with this revelation. As much as this is a serious figure involved in Dan Doctoroff, the mayor of the city of New York has nixed a bid. The buck stops there. That's why I found it interesting that Doctoroff is trying to appeal to Cuomo since he must know that de Blasio isn't likely to warm to the idea of a 2024 Olympic bid. So yea, it's very possible this has been around for awhile. It's possible Doctoroff has been working on this longer than we know. That we haven't found out about it.. yes, I'll grant you it could be because he wanted to work with Cuomo before this got to de Blasio and wanted to keep it quiet, but they have been talking, so this strikes me as something where simply no one bothered to report on it. Remember also that before we heard the declaration from de Blasio's office that they weren't planning on working on a bid, there were some rumblings of possible interest from NYC, so this might be the explanation for that.

It's interesting though that he's making his pitch through Cuomo and not de Blasio who has made it clear his administration has no interest in backing an Olympic bid. So at this point, it may be too little too late for 2024 to happen for NYC.

Obviously, Doctoroff has the ear of Gov. Cuomo and they have probably worked together before--whereas DD does not have any deep connections with the de Blasio people. So, since an NYC bid would have to work with the Gov's office anyway, Doctoroff has thought this might be the quickstart it needs. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Here's an interesting premise. Could a late NYC entry still derail what almost looks like LA's 3rd time... and/or could NYC be the city in the wings if the USOC bypasses and 2024 and aims for 2028 instead?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think part of the reason the USOC has taken their time with this process is that they're allowing the cities to gather steam according to their own timetable. Particularly where NYC is concerned, you can't rush them. It's probably looked very uncertain for a while, but I suspect the USOC was wary of accidentally extinguishing a small flicker of interest by demanding a decision too quickly. Obviously NYC is more interested that they once seemed, but there's no telling where this is headed. If NYC comes up with a solid plan, they'll be the candidate for sure, but that's a big if.

Personally, I still think the Games would be much more fun in LA. And LA's plan is definitely workable, whereas NYC sounds like it's still pipe-dreaming.

Obviously, Doctoroff has the ear of Gov. Cuomo and they have probably worked together before--whereas DD does not have any deep connections with the de Blasio people. So, since an NYC bid would have to work with the Gov's office anyway, Doctoroff has thought this might be the quickstart it needs. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Here's an interesting premise. Could a late NYC entry still derail what almost looks like LA's 3rd time... and/or could NYC be the city in the wings if the USOC bypasses and 2024 and aims for 2028 instead?

Not sure how much the 2 have crossed paths before. Cuomo wasn't directly involved with NY state or NYC politics until after the 2005 vote. But I think you're right that it's a way of getting back in the game without going directly through de Blasio or whoever the next mayor following Bloomberg would be. If Doctoroff was going to be working on this, he had to deal with someone. Wouldn't make sense for that to be the outgoing administration.

I still think it's too little too late for NYC, particularly since the mayor has said he's not interested. Unless Doctoroff can somehow pursuade de Blasio otherwise, 2024 is a lost cause. As for 2028.. let's say hypothetically speaking the USOC does pass on 2024 (and 2026) and starts looking at 2028. At that point, we're probably starting this whole process all over again. It also means either the USOC wasn't impressed with LA or they didn't feel confident enough to bid. So yes, given a chance to throw NYC into the mix, they'll be given every chance to make their case.

I think part of the reason the USOC has taken their time with this process is that they're allowing the cities to gather steam according to their own timetable. Particularly where NYC is concerned, you can't rush them. It's probably looked very uncertain for a while, but I suspect the USOC was wary of accidentally extinguishing a small flicker of interest by demanding a decision too quickly. Obviously NYC is more interested that they once seemed, but there's no telling where this is headed. If NYC comes up with a solid plan, they'll be the candidate for sure, but that's a big if.

Personally, I still think the Games would be much more fun in LA. And LA's plan is definitely workable, whereas NYC sounds like it's still pipe-dreaming.

Sorry, I just have to say the back-pedaling is cute.

I'd say the sneering on your part is cute, but it's really not though. Good to see you still mis-represent my position after all this time. It is cute though that you treat NYC like it's a person with hopes and feelings.

So yea, there's someone in NYC (who is NOT directly affiliated with the city or any related government entity) who has designs on an Olympic bid. There is that tiny little problem that the mayor of said city has essentially stated it's not something they are considering. You talk about given enough time to make a decision. These cities have had nearly 15 months since the USOC's letter went out. That's plenty of time for a city to decide whether this is something that interests them or not. It's not as thought these cities need a final plan in place right now. They just need enough to continue a dialogue with the USOC. If what the article says is true and an advisory committee is going to be formed, that's a good next step, but that's something that should have happened a year ago. I know NYC had a timing problem where there was a mayoral race that probably did no good for any potential Olympic aspirations. It's a little late in the game though for NYC to suddenly start engaging in discussions with the USOC and only because it's New York would they even being to consider inviting them back into the race.

The USOC improved their whole domestic process greatly by changing it from an open competition to one where they are more in control of the situation. Given that the USOC has sole authority to cut off any city at any time, I doubt they're worried about flickering interest. If there's only a flicker of interest in the first place, as opposed to LA who seems like they may be really driven, that's probably not a city they want to deal with anyway. We may be still a ways off from the application deadline, there's a reason the USOC sent the letter when they did and have already cut cities from consideration at least once already.

• Like 1

Something I found interesting in the article is that the list of seven is now three...hmm...LA, Washington, and Dallas...shortlist early?

Man, I am stuck between LA and NYC. I always wanted the games in my city, but LA just has a lot to offer too. If NYC comes out with a good plan I will have to go with them :unsure:

I'm torn as well, but leaning more towards LA, they seem much more sure than NYC. Then again they always are more sure than any other city

Something I found interesting in the article is that the list of seven is now three...hmm...LA, Washington, and Dallas...shortlist early?

Read that last paragraph again.. Contenders for the US bid, so far, include Los Angeles, Washington and Dallas. Doesn't imply those are the only cities still under consideration.

If anything, Los Angeles will be the benchmark the rest will be judged on...IMO. Still Dallas and Washington would surely encourage other major centres to front?...Very early days yet though.

But why doesn't this surprise me coming from you. You're so quick to jump on your own "vindication" bandwagon.

I'm going to join Athensfan on that particular bandwagon if there's room ;)

After the awful Evening Standard "story" about London 2016, this seems like a bit of a scoop from the FT. Good ol' British Press eh?!

• Like 1

As mentioned elsewhere, New York has announced it's intentions to seriously look at a 2024 bid. This time hopefully not based on emotion but hard knock facts which this city is normally well known for. Just keep "The Donald" away from it for now.

As mentioned elsewhere, New York has announced it's intentions to seriously look at a 2024 bid. This time hopefully not based on emotion but hard knock facts which this city is normally well known for. Just keep "The Donald" away from it for now.

Incorrect. New York is not seriously looking at a bid. A person with no current affiliation with New York is seriously looking at a bid. Be careful not to confuse the 2. He has plenty of Olympic bid experience to fall back on and has the governor in his corner, but not the mayor. That's kinda important. It is not being the realm of possibility that this turns into something but when we're hearing that maybe the response to this will be the formation of an advisory committee, I'm not overly confident thus is gonna go anywhere

Incorrect. New York is not seriously looking at a bid. A person with no current affiliation with New York is seriously looking at a bid. Be careful not to confuse the 2. He has plenty of Olympic bid experience to fall back on and has the governor in his corner, but not the mayor. That's kinda important. It is not being the realm of possibility that this turns into something but when we're hearing that maybe the response to this will be the formation of an advisory committee, I'm not overly confident thus is gonna go anywhere

As hopeful as I am, I think if this did go through (which I don't think it will either) a lot of cities would be PO'ed. Especially LA which at this point has a very likely shot at winning.

Man, I am stuck between LA and NYC. I always wanted the games in my city, but LA just has a lot to offer too. If NYC comes out with a good plan I will have to go with them :unsure:

That's a bid "if". Would love to see NYC come out with a good plan. But I'm not holding my breath.

As hopeful as I am, I think if this did go through (which I don't think it will either) a lot of cities would be PO'ed. Especially LA which at this point has a very likely shot at winning.

Cities don't have feelings. They're not going to get pissed if New York were to be a late entry into this competition, even LA whose chances would probably get hurt the most

That's a bid "if". Would love to see NYC come out with a good plan. But I'm not holding my breath.

They need a good plan and for the city to back that plan. Not holding my breath either for both of those elements to come together

Well, what would a "good plan" consist of though. Especially when you've been saying along, Q, that the city has already gone ahead with building many of the sports arenas & stadiums anyway.

Where could such a plan come into context. Would it be some sort of cluster concept, or more along the lines of utilizing what it already there in different parts of the city. Either way, I don't see anything happening for 2024, but for 2028 at the earliest, if that is indeed the direction the city of New York would like to go. At this point, Los Angeles is still leaps & bounds ahead in this game.

At this point, Los Angeles is still leaps & bounds ahead in this game.

Absolutely...The problem could be LA will simply intimidated everyone else...It has a successful Olympic history. America could just "expect" LA as the Olympics city to bid.

Well, what would a "good plan" consist of though. Especially when you've been saying along, Q, that the city has already gone ahead with building many of the sports arenas & stadiums anyway.

Where could such a plan come into context. Would it be some sort of cluster concept, or more along the lines of utilizing what it already there in different parts of the city. Either way, I don't see anything happening for 2024, but for 2028 at the earliest, if that is indeed the direction the city of New York would like to go. At this point, Los Angeles is still leaps & bounds ahead in this game.

As if we haven't had this discussion before, but the key is where the main hub of action is. The 2012 bid tried to focus on Manhattan, redeveloping the Hudson Yards area (I was actually over there tonight.. the whole area is still pretty barren, although it helps they'll have a subway line there in the next few months). Seems like now they're wise to target Queens and the area area Flushing Meadows/Corona Park. I think it needs to start there and then much of the rest can come from existing venues. There's no city in this country better served by public transportation than NYC. So long as venues are accessible, I think it would be acceptable if they're not all clustered together. But it's all a moot point if there isn't a suitable location for the key pieces of an Olympic bid.. convention space, an athletes/media village, and a main stadium.

As if we haven't had this discussion before, but the key is where the main hub of action is. The 2012 bid tried to focus on Manhattan, redeveloping the Hudson Yards area (I was actually over there tonight.. the whole area is still pretty barren, although it helps they'll have a subway line there in the next few months). Seems like now they're wise to target Queens and the area area Flushing Meadows/Corona Park. I think it needs to start there and then much of the rest can come from existing venues. There's no city in this country better served by public transportation than NYC. So long as venues are accessible, I think it would be acceptable if they're not all clustered together. But it's all a moot point if there isn't a suitable location for the key pieces of an Olympic bid.. convention space, an athletes/media village, and a main stadium.

Seems like Flushing Meadows/Corona Park is ripe for development, especially with the few rotting '64 WF venues.

Seems like Flushing Meadows/Corona Park is ripe for development, especially with the few rotting '64 WF venues.

My impressions are the same. ALSO a complete makeover of La Guardia airport, it's the most convenient for domestic users and really needs a do over! Who owns it? City or Port?