USA 2024

Athensfan

i dont think San Frnsisco will try any time soon, by the moment it seams that LA will be the next US candidate...:)even the 49ers stadium isnt to useful for SOG :P *i want Chicago*

New York 2028

Even though the Jets agree to share the MetLife stadium, the get out clause is 15 years and then 5 years after that.

The economic crisis will impact just as much upon residential property development as elsewhere so sites sold off may still be available.

A stadium built at Hunter's Point on the East River overlooking the UN Building and Manhatten would provide a spectacular back drop.

If the Jets were to agree to move in 2030 (15+5years) and the bid was to be successful in 2021, then New York could say that they had post legacy planning covered.

Any Olympic village could be converted into affordable housing.

The rest of the venues/arenas would be in place or could easily be developed.

I think New York in 2028 could have more resonance for the IOC than potential competing bids.

Hard to see it happening since 2028 will be Tokyo's moment :P but the US will have a real chance in 2024 or 2032...

• Like 1

Well, not if a 2022-26 Tah-reno gets in the way!!

Didn't Tah-reno just host an Olympics in 2006? Probably too soon for them again, I don't think the IOC will go for it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

New York 2028

I think New York in 2028 could have more resonance for the IOC than potential competing bids.

It could, but it's still banking on a stadium plan that isn't happening anytime in the near future. The Jets just spent half of $1.6 billion to build a stadium in New Jersey. They made a point to move their offices and training facilities from Long Island to New Jersey. Are we really talking about them leaving already just because they have an out clause in 15 years?

It'll be awhile before we see NYC throw their hat in the ring again. It's very possible that if the United States doesn't land a Summer Olympics in the 20's or early 30's, then maybe an NYC bid will gain some steam, but I think it could be a stretch to assume that the Jets will be a part of it. New York has a lot of what it needs to host an Olympics already in place but 2 of the key elements, the main stadium and an Olympic village, are 2 things that are going to take years of planning and probably a little luck to become reality.

Frankly, I don't see the U.S. hosting a summer Olympics until 2032 at the earliest. 2024 is all but reserved for South Africa IMO if they decide to bid whether it be Cape Town or Durban. The IOC practically begged South Africa to give 2020 a go and they did not. 2028, if history is any indication, will go to an Asian country. By then it will have been 20 years since Beijing and the time will be ripe for a city like Tokyo to win. So that leaves 2032 and my prediction will be by that time it have been 16 years since Rio and 22 years since Vancouver. The difficulty the U.S. has had recently with winning a summer Olympics bid (New York and Chicago) leads me to believe that the USOC will give the green light to a Reno-Lake Tahoe bid for the 2022 Games. By the time bidding for that rolls around, any revenue issues between the IOC and USOC should be cleared up. I also think even with the U.S. hosting a Winter Olympics in 2022, that there would be enough time between 2022 and 2032 for the USOC to mount an effective push for the 2032 Olympics.

Frankly, I don't see the U.S. hosting a summer Olympics until 2032 at the earliest. 2024 is all but reserved for South Africa IMO if they decide to bid whether it be Cape Town or Durban. The IOC practically begged South Africa to give 2020 a go and they did not. 2028, if history is any indication, will go to an Asian country. By then it will have been 20 years since Beijing and the time will be ripe for a city like Tokyo to win. So that leaves 2032 and my prediction will be by that time it have been 16 years since Rio and 22 years since Vancouver.

The big main problem with your scenario though, is that Europe will then be ripe for 2032. The IOC has never gone more than 12 years for a Summer Olympics in Europe, & I doubt that they'd start anytime soon.

The only way 2032 could be a possibility for the U.S. is if Tokyo wins 2020. Then that leaves Europe & South Africa to grab 2024 & the 2028 Games, in either order.

Why is it that Asia can't be expected to wait more than 20 years, Europe can't be expected to wait more than 12 years, and yet North America CAN be expected to wait 40 years plus?

I think there's a stronger North American argument than many acknowledge.

Exactly! Considering you have the USA and Canada now wanting to host a summer games.

Why is it that Asia can't be expected to wait more than 20 years, Europe can't be expected to wait more than 12 years, and yet North America CAN be expected to wait 40 years plus?

I think there's a stronger North American argument than many acknowledge.

Well, Rio fulfilled the "Americas" quota by getting 2016, so in some IOC member's minds, they served our region by awarding Rio. They view the two continents as one. 2016 would have been the logical 20 year N. American slot to fulfill - 1976, 1996, 2016. We may be waiting until 2036 now...

That is why I am having a change of heart, and supporting Denver 2022 or 2026!

It's not impossible to imagine Toronto or another US city getting a Games before 2036, but with compelling cities like Tokyo, Rome, Paris, Cape Town/Durban, Madrid, Istanbul, there is no lack of possibilities now.

We (latin america) are way to diffrent from the US or Canada, that's really clear... So awarding the games toRio is another world that Chicago or Toronto for example... As i've said the only way i see NA hosting olympucs before the 30's is Istanbul winning 2020....

I agree. Most people don't look at them as completely the same, but certainly their victory influenced the prospects of the next few bid cycles. If Rio never won 2016, I would place bets that the US would have a candidate in the 2020 race.

I agree. Most people don't look at them as completely the same, but certainly their victory influenced the prospects of the next few bid cycles. If Rio never won 2016, I would place bets that the US would have a candidate in the 2020 race.

Not necessarily because the main issue was the agreement with the IOC.

If Rio never won 2016, I would place bets that the US would have a candidate in the 2020 race.

well, this seems like a catch 22 scenario. Bcuz if Rio hadn't won 2016, then that means Chicago would have. So needless to say, no U.S 2020 bid anyway. Or if Madrid or Tokyo had won, then that would put us in likely the same boat that we are in now. No revenue agreement, lack of alpha cities in the mix N more than likely, Rio going after it again.

Well, Rio fulfilled the "Americas" quota by getting 2016, so in some IOC member's minds, they served our region by awarding Rio. They view the two continents as one. 2016 would have been the logical 20 year N. American slot to fulfill - 1976, 1996, 2016. We may be waiting until 2036 now...

That is why I am having a change of heart, and supporting Denver 2022 or 2026!

It's not impossible to imagine Toronto or another US city getting a Games before 2036, but with compelling cities like Tokyo, Rome, Paris, Cape Town/Durban, Madrid, Istanbul, there is no lack of possibilities now.

Agreed. There was a 52 year gap between North American hostings in the past. So I don't see something close to that now being totally out of the realm of impossibility. Especially as you stated, the choices nowadays are becoming more broad for the IOC to pick from.

J3ust like some say that there is no ''urgency'' to go to new places like South Africa or the Middle East, the flipside, I also don't the urgency in returning to a continent that the IOC has been to many times over with the Olympic Games. Plus, like you, I really think that the IOC has served the ''Americas'' region for now with Rio, however right or wrong that view might be.

I certainly wouldn't say that a 40-plus year gap is impossible. It is possible. Highly undesirable, but possible.

I'm just saying that it doesn't seem equitable to say that Europe's 12 year "quota" and Asia's 20 year 'quota" MUST be fulfilled before North America can even be considered.

I do think there's a case to be made for American Summer Games sooner rather than later. If the US goes for 2022, then Toronto will very likely host the next North American Summer Games and the USOC will have prolonged what was already a very long wait for another twelve years at least.

I certainly wouldn't say that a 40-plus year gap is impossible. It is possible. Highly undesirable, but possible.

I'm just saying that it doesn't seem equitable to say that Europe's 12 year "quota" and Asia's 20 year 'quota" MUST be fulfilled before North America can even be considered.

I do think there's a case to be made for American Summer Games sooner rather than later. If the US goes for 2022, then Toronto will very likely host the next North American Summer Games and the USOC will have prolonged what was already a very long wait for another twelve years at least.

I don't think 2022 will hamper a summer games bid against Toronto.

@FYI if Rio had lost Tokyo would have won (who ever finished second).

I don't think 2022 will hamper a summer games bid against Toronto.

@FYI if Rio had lost Tokyo would have won (who ever finished second).

But who's to say the voting would've finished the same way? Races like these call for strategic voting. There must've been a number of Rio supporters who voted for Tokyo simply to knock out a stronger Chicago, yet would've voted for Chicago had Rio not been in the race.

• Like 2

In fact i dont see that Rio hosting 2016 would have harmed a bid from Toronto or wherever in the USA. And a winter win by a US city wouldnt either harm a Toronto 2024 bid. See at this moment Tokyo seems to be one of the safer options even though Pyeoncheang's "thrid's the charm" win was this year....

Look who your voters are though. It's not a matter of "must" for Europe, but more than the IOC is a European-based organization that will view that as something of a quota. Contrast that with North America where they don't seem to be in too much a hurry to return to. Asia's a different story, I think that's just a lot of people thinking the pattern of 8's is actually a pattern and not simply a coincidence. Otherwise, it does silly that a 20-year wait for Asia is about a quota and that North America should just wait longer (yes, Rio factors into that).

Part of the problem going forward, as we know, is that the USOC has put forward its 2 best cities never to have hosted an Olympics and both got the door slammed in their face. Seems like the quality of the competition out there isn't getting any worse. So when that opportunity comes along just like Atlanta got for 1996, will the US have the right city in the right place at the right time to win it. Eventually.. yes. When that will be is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

Yep, a lot of ifs. I honestly don't know if Chicago would have won 2016 if shall we say, Doha was shortlisted, and not Rio. I guess in the end, it could have almost just as easily been Madrid or Tokyo on top of the bid podium.

The USOC might be more eager to resolve it's issue with the IOC if they felt like they stood a good chance at getting a Games sooner, rather than later. Who knows, but my primary point is that some in the IOC now see Rio 2016 satisfying their obligation to feed the western hemisphere with a Summer Olympics, and there is no real push to rush back over this way and satisfy our time zone with a unique Games that many Americans will likely be interested in watching.

Athens, regarding Europe - I see your point, but let's not forget that over half of all Olympic medals won go to Europe. Also, the ability for countries in Europe to host is more than triple the Americas and Asia.

The spacial gap between countries hosting is quite large as well.

Case in point...

USA hosted 1904, 1932, 1960, 1980, 1984, 1996, 2002

(average between hosting if they hosted in 2022 - 19.6 years / 10.5 years since 1980)

Canada hosted 1976, 1988, 2010 (average between hosting - 17 years)

Now on to recent European countries that hosted...

Russia - 1980, 2014 (average between hosting - 34 years)

UK - 1908, 1948, 2012 (average between hosting - 52 years)

Italy - 1956, 1960, 2006 (average between hosting - 25 years)

Greece - 1896, 2004 (average between hosting - 104 years)

Norway - 1952, 1994 (average between hosting - 42 years)

Spain - 1992 (hosted once in history)

France - 1900, 1924, 1968, 1992 (average gap between hosting if they hosted in 2022 - 31 years)

Yugoslavia - 1984 (hosted once in history)

Germany - 1936, 1972 (average gap between hosting if they hosted in 2022- 43 years)

So, if you average the yearly gaps of the more recent European hosts, it comes out to 48 years, and three countries only hosted once in history.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see the U.S. host a summer games ASAP, but let's be fair. Europe as a whole performs well at the Games and they have at least 10 countries that are very capable at hosting a summer and/or winter games. Hosting at least once every 8-12 years is not completely unreasonable IMO.

Edited by Soaring
  • Like 1

But who's to say the voting would've finished the same way? Races like these call for strategic voting. There must've been a number of Rio supporters who voted for Tokyo simply to knock out a stronger Chicago, yet would've voted for Chicago had Rio not been in the race.

Precisely. Just the very change had Rio not won the vote would've changed the entire dynamics of the voting ballots. Thus giving Chicago a better chance. Since many, even in the IOC, had said afterwards that Rio's greatest threat was Chicago. And eliminating them as early as possible was key in order for Rio to make it to the final round.