USA 2024

Athensfan

That wasn't the US in 84. It was the Eastern Bloc playing an eye for an eye and the LA Games were an unqualified success anyway.

Within the USOC and in American government I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who believed the boycott accomplished anything other than hurting American athletes. I stand by my statement. Barring a Hitler-like regime being awarded the Games (which I can't see the IOC doing any time soon,) the US will not boycott ever again.

Anyone who thinks the Palestinian issue would cause the US to pull out of the Olympic movement is out of touch with reality.

Now that we know about the American government's position, when it comes to Palestine, will it withdraw from the IOC because of Palestinian participation in the Olympic Games? Some people want this to happen because a European-centric organization recognizes the Palestinians with a recognized NOC. This does not bode well for future US bids for the Olympic Games.

Not much to add to what has already been said, but this is definitely a ridiculous statement. Palestine has competed at the Olympics since 1996, so despite this new revelation, it's not like they're new to the IOC. This will have little to no effect on the United States' participation or ability to host an Olympics and I don't get where you're making the connection that it could. This isn't 1980.. do you really see Barack Obama getting involved in the Olympics end of this the way Jimmy Carter did back then? Not happening. And I can't see this becoming a hot-button issue with the USOC either.

And while a future boycott is unlikely, I think it's foolish to say it can never happen again. It would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for it to occur, but I'm betting that's what people said after 1936, that if the United States didn't pull out of those Olympics, nothing could cause it to. Well, look what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny... given Palestine has been participating in the Olympics since 1996 and no one has batted an eyelash before now.

I think what will be a good question for 2024 is who will be back from 2020 who missed the prize before. I do think depth of the field will go a long way into whomever the USOC considers as a potential candidate city.

Now, my OPINION (subject to change based on input) is that the field for 2024 would almost certainly include Tokyo and they might be considered a favorite given this would be, what, try #4 or 5 in a row for the Japanese? Also safe to say an African city will be in the hunt, most likely Durban since that seems to be favored over Cape Town right now. The trick is what would Europe's status be at that point, since two factors (the Rome bid and the by then recent London Games) will impact who may or may not come forward to bid.

The other x factor is just how badly will the USOC want a Games and/or how receptive will the IOC be toward a US bid.

So, based off that criteria, what would be "good" for the US to consider? Who might be receptive to USOC overtures to give it a try or might already be thinking about it?

So, based off that criteria, what would be "good" for the US to consider? Who might be receptive to USOC overtures to give it a try or might already be thinking about it?

Mounting a US summer bid v. Durban for 2024 is really problematic. R there any takers?

It's so much easier to put up Reno (or by sheer stupidity, Denver) for a 2022-2026 run.

The problem is that Durban is an unknown quantity. I think the IOC would really like to see a US bid for 2024, partly for financial reasons, partly as insurance, partly to legitimize the race.

If Durban has a solid bid, they will win unless the IOC digs themselves into a very deep financial hole (unlikely). However, if Durban doesn't bid, or simply can't make the grade, I'm convinced that the IOC's next choice would be the US. Therefore, I think the US should bid, with the knowledge that it's a calculated risk. They could discover a few months into the race that it's "game over." Or they could win...

If the US bid and lost 2024, they'd be in prime position for 2028 or 2032. Nobody likes the expense of multiple bids or the disappointment and I don't blame them. But if the US gets 2022 or 2026, I think it's almost certain that Toronto will get the next North American SOGs and the US will have to wait well into the 40's for their turn. In my opinion this is just too long.

The US and North America are ready for Summer Games. No continent has ever hosted three WOGs without an intervening Summer Games and it's unreasonable to expect North America to do so. It's especially crazy to prolong the wait for American SOGS another few decades for the likes of a city as homely and unpleasant as Reno. I've been there. I know. If the USOC decides to winterize, the only candidate is Denver.

• Like 1

The problem is that Durban is an unknown quantity. I think the IOC would really like to see a US bid for 2024, partly for financial reasons, partly as insurance, partly to legitimize the race.

If Durban has a solid bid, they will win unless the IOC digs themselves into a very deep financial hole (unlikely). However, if Durban doesn't bid, or simply can't make the grade, I'm convinced that the IOC's next choice would be the US. Therefore, I think the US should bid, with the knowledge that it's a calculated risk. They could discover a few months into the race that it's "game over." Or they could win...

If the US bid and lost 2024, they'd be in prime position for 2028 or 2032. Nobody likes the expense of multiple bids or the disappointment and I don't blame them. But if the US gets 2022 or 2026, I think it's almost certain that Toronto will get the next North American SOGs and the US will have to wait well into the 40's for their turn. In my opinion this is just too long.

The US and North America are ready for Summer Games. No continent has ever hosted three WOGs without an intervening Summer Games and it's unreasonable to expect North America to do so. It's especially crazy to prolong the wait for American SOGS another few decades for the likes of a city as homely and unpleasant as Reno. I've been there. I know. If the USOC decides to winterize, the only candidate is Denver.

Can not disagree more with you about Reno and SORRY to have to try to keep trying to convincing you but Reno and TAHOE go hand in hand..........PERIOD.

I think the biggest risk to a US24, or a South Africa 24 is what is going on right now. Currently, if the debt crisis derails 2020 for Rome and Madrid, we can expect an all-Europe battle for 2024, and South Africa and the US will be well-advised to sit that out, else it will be 2012 all over again.

Crisis or not, let's not forget who decides on choosing the Olympic hosts. It's not bankers or creditors. I don't see the IOC members exercising their fiduciary duties to Olympism by striking out debt-ridden but otherwise capable countries. Countries like Italy and Spain could conceiveably organize the Games in 4 years, not 7. Just enough time to deal with contracts and agreements, and then some construction. IOC members will still vote to serve their self-interests in 2013, knowing that if their country of choice is still in debt closer to the Games, there's a contingency in place. If it's in a voter's self-interest to vote for Rome, I don't see a debt crisis 7 years prior standing in their way.

I think the biggest risk to a US24, or a South Africa 24 is what is going on right now. Currently, if the debt crisis derails 2020 for Rome and Madrid, we can expect an all-Europe battle for 2024, and South Africa and the US will be well-advised to sit that out, else it will be 2012 all over again.

Yeap! A tokyo win for example, will leave Paris as the clear front runner for 2024... Even a Istanbul bid will leave West Europe a possible chance.

Not if South Africa's economy is going strong in 2017 and after that...

I hear you. Quite possible.

Can not disagree more with you about Reno and SORRY to have to try to keep trying to convincing you but Reno and TAHOE go hand in hand..........PERIOD.

I'm totally convinced that Tahoe and Reno are a package deal. Tahoe is great. Reno is not. IMO Reno's weaknesses more than cancel out Tahoe's strengths. Apart from these boards, I've never met anyone who regards Reno as anything other than an armpit of a gambling town.

• 4 weeks later...

New York 2028

Even though the Jets agree to share the MetLife stadium, the get out clause is 15 years and then 5 years after that.

The economic crisis will impact just as much upon residential property development as elsewhere so sites sold off may still be available.

A stadium built at Hunter's Point on the East River overlooking the UN Building and Manhatten would provide a spectacular back drop.

If the Jets were to agree to move in 2030 (15+5years) and the bid was to be successful in 2021, then New York could say that they had post legacy planning covered.

Any Olympic village could be converted into affordable housing.

The rest of the venues/arenas would be in place or could easily be developed.

I think New York in 2028 could have more resonance for the IOC than potential competing bids.

New York 2028

Even though the Jets agree to share the MetLife stadium, the get out clause is 15 years and then 5 years after that.

The economic crisis will impact just as much upon residential property development as elsewhere so sites sold off may still be available.

A stadium built at Hunter's Point on the East River overlooking the UN Building and Manhatten would provide a spectacular back drop.

If the Jets were to agree to move in 2030 (15+5years) and the bid was to be successful in 2021, then New York could say that they had post legacy planning covered.

Any Olympic village could be converted into affordable housing.

The rest of the venues/arenas would be in place or could easily be developed.

I think New York in 2028 could have more resonance for the IOC than potential competing bids.

Well, not if a 2022-26 Tah-reno gets in the way!!

Is there a particular reason why New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles are the only three cities people seem to feel are viable for an Olympic Bid? It's pretty obvious that cities like Atlanta or Minneapolis probably wouldn't be successful, but what about other cities like Boston, Washington, Miami, or Houston?

I know there was some mumbling about Boston bidding for 2020, if the USOC decides to bid again for the summer games are they going to limit themselves to New York or Chicago our will there be room for other cities?

The guys here talk about all those cities as possible hosts quite a lot, there are a bunch of threads that would be interesting for you to read through if you are interested.

But NYC, LA and Chicago are considered the real superstar cities that have it all and could host with their eyes closed if the time and conditions were right so they are discussed a lot.

The guys here talk about all those cities as possible hosts quite a lot, there are a bunch of threads that would be interesting for you to read through if you are interested.

But NYC, LA and Chicago are considered the real superstar cities that have it all and could host with their eyes closed if the time and conditions were right so they are discussed a lot.

LA and Chicago I agree with as likely US Olympic host cities. NYC is the question mark simply because, as others have stated, the possibility of the Games getting lost in the middle of metropolitan Manhattan is a real concern. Plus, I have absolutely no clue where a stadium for the ceremonies and athletics could exist now, especially given the West Side city site is being developed.