USA 2024

Athensfan

My point is, very basically, a 'bare-bones' re-conversion can be done for $30-50 million, including laying out a track, depending on how fancy you want to do the make-over.

Still $50 mil or more is NOTHING compared to what? at least $750 mil for a new, basic T&F 80,000 stadium ($1.1 billion if you want it A/C'ed like the Cowboys stadium. Hey...I know that one!! :P )

Turner Field (upgraded in 2005) is in trouble, it seems. With the Braves moving out, Atlanta will soon have one baseball stadium too many, and having been designed specifically with baseball in mind, Turner Field would be a tricky conversion for football (or any sport requiring a rectangular field of play). So yes, maybe another major athletic tournament is the way to go (despite $50m sounding rather like a typical, hopelessly optimistic, first estimate of conversion costs).

Turner Field (upgraded in 2005) is in trouble, it seems. With the Braves moving out, Atlanta will soon have one baseball stadium too many, and having been designed specifically with baseball in mind, Turner Field would be a tricky conversion for football (or any sport requiring a rectangular field of play). So yes, maybe another major athletic tournament is the way to go (despite $50m sounding rather like a typical, hopelessly optimistic, first estimate of conversion costs).

The problem with Atlanta in that regard is that the Braves are about to sink hundreds of millions of dollars into their new stadium. The Falcons are looking at a new stadium for themselves near the Georgia Dome and the cost of that will probably come close to a billion. So I can't imagine the city investing the money necessary to keep Turner Field a viable sports facility. It's not going to be enough simply to keep it viable when you have metro areas like Dallas and the Bay Area and New Jersey spending a billion dollars on their stadiums. If Atlanta were to transform Turner Field into any sort of venue designed to host major events, they'll need to make it a world class venue.

Part of the history with the Braves is that they're not big fans of their current location because it's under-served in terms of parking, it's not near a MARTA station, and somewhat similar to the Georgia Dome, a lot of the urban development that was supposed to be spurred on by the Olympics and the resulting sports venues never really happened. So the Braves can either sink more money into a stadium they didn't design and they don't own, or they can end their lease when it's up (stupid move on the part of the city only locking them in for 20 years) and head to greener pastures. In this day and age, as much as these cities and teams clash and usually cave into political pressure, it's not really an option to have anything less than a first rate facility. Particularly in the case of the Braves, for them to stay at Turner without investing in the necessary improvements, isn't really an option.

And in the larger sense, this is what these cities deal with when we're talking in the context of Olympic bids. If a city like San Francisco (really the greater Bay Area) has to choose between investing a billion dollars in an Olympic Stadium concept a decade down the road in hopes of landing an Olympics or to spend that money on a football stadium to keep their NFL team around, which are they going to pick? That's why the NYC 2012 bid, despite the fact that the West Side Stadium deal was never going to happen, actually made a lot of sense. So that's the question going forward.. how does a city work a plan for an Olympics into their greater vision for urban development. And the irony here with Atlanta is that what seemed like venues that would last a generation are now about to lose their primary tenants.

Atlanta, any one??

http://www.peachpundit.com/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-plan-move-to-cobb-county-by-2017/

Turner Field is available to be turned back into an Olympic track confederation! Here is the USOC's answer for 2024 and 2028!!

So the US could have TWO 2x Olympic stadia...one on each coast!!

I REALLY hope this was a joke.

All stadium problems aside Atlanta will NEVER hosts the games again. The games were a disaster and there are far better more reliable and capable cities that are interested. Though if by some miracle Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, and Dallas could not hosts and Atlanta was our only option I would say:

2mzdt86.png

Coupertin Park

• 80,000 seat Olympic Stadium
  • Aquatic Center
  • Velodrome
  • BMX and Cycling Track
  • Beach Volleyball
  • Olympic Sponsor Village

Not sure if the sizes are correct so feel free to criticize it.

After the games the sponsor village becomes places for mixed use apartment towers, The Beach Volleyball stadium is temporary and becomes one of those creator workshops, BMX and Cycling track is temporary and clears way for a MARTA station (during the games the station is in the sponsor village) , The Velodrome stays as is, The Aquatics Center stays as is, the Olympic Stadium receives seating around the track, on the ends of the field, and the remaining field (green colored part) is converted into a football field and the stadium becomes home of the Atlanta Falcons.

Coupertin Park

• 80,000 seat Olympic Stadium
  • Aquatic Center
  • Velodrome
  • BMX and Cycling Track
  • Beach Volleyball
  • Olympic Sponsor Village

Not sure if the sizes are correct so feel free to criticize it.

Nah, too easy! All that needs to be said.. Atlanta put an Olympic Stadium there once before. It will have lasted less than 21 years. It's not even old enough to drink! Why put the same thing in the same place?

Oh and who is Coupertin?

Nah, too easy! All that needs to be said.. Atlanta put an Olympic Stadium there once before. It will have lasted less than 21 years. It's not even old enough to drink! Why put the same thing in the same place?

Oh and who is Coupertin?

Well I feel that if they are planning on clearing the land they might as well place something more modern and tempting to somewhat keep Atlanta's Olympic legacy. Yeah they have the centennial park, but they need something else that will solidify Atlanta's place in Olympic History. Sad to see the stadium of the 100th anniversary of the Modern Olympics be torn down a mere 21 years afterwards. Also I meant Coubertin.

Do I think Atlanta could host again...yes, do I think they will...we can only wait and see. If Atlanta were to bid again the city would need to utilize the site of Turner Field and the back and side parking lots up to the torch tower. Remodel Phoenix II park into the Athletes Village, and remodel Grant Park to house leftover venues and the Broadcasting Centers, then use venues throughout the city for smaller events. Transportation would also have to be worked on, maybe a light-rail system that connects all the parks that are used for the main venues and village.

Times have changed and I think if Atlanta actually planned well it could work, but personally I want to see Los Angeles host a third time.

Well I feel that if they are planning on clearing the land they might as well place something more modern and tempting to somewhat keep Atlanta's Olympic legacy. Yeah they have the centennial park, but they need something else that will solidify Atlanta's place in Olympic History. Sad to see the stadium of the 100th anniversary of the Modern Olympics be torn down a mere 21 years afterwards. Also I meant Coubertin.

Do I think Atlanta could host again...yes, do I think they will...we can only wait and see. If Atlanta were to bid again the city would need to utilize the site of Turner Field and the back and side parking lots up to the torch tower. Remodel Phoenix II park into the Athletes Village, and remodel Grant Park to house leftover venues and the Broadcasting Centers, then use venues throughout the city for smaller events. Transportation would also have to be worked on, maybe a light-rail system that connects all the parks that are used for the main venues and village.

Times have changed and I think if Atlanta actually planned well it could work, but personally I want to see Los Angeles host a third time.

Seriously, dude? The Olympics are supposed to leave a legacy on a city that's going to last a lifetime. After what we're seeing with Atlanta, you think the USOC (let alone the IOC) would entertain the idea of putting an Olympic park on the exact same site as `96 knowing what happened there? Maybe a century or 3 from now, but even that seems like a longshot. If Atlanta needs another Olympics to solidify their place in Olympic history, they don't deserve another Olympics.

• Like 2

I never said they deserved them or that they could get them; hell I didn't even give a date. All I said was that if Atlanta actually worked on it they could have a shot. Anyways let's agree to disagree?

So yea, that's pretty much what you said. But either way, we definitely disagree on this. Atlanta will not have another shot at another Olympics in our lifetimes no matter how hard they work on it. And if the plan is to put the Olympic Stadium in just about the exact same place the first one will have stood for all of about 21 years, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that has a chance of getting the job done.

(ATR) A team of experts from the U.S. Olympic Committee completes its first inspection of a group of cities that may lead to a 2024 summer Olympic bid.

Sources familiar with the process tell Around the Rings that the group has visited Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington DC. San Diego may also have been visited but the U.S.OC refuses any comment on the bid city process.

The group traveling to the cities includes director of communications Patrick Sandusky, Chris Sullivan, who heads the USOC bid relations office and Doug Arnot, a consultant with deep experience in the operations of Olympic Games, most recently with London 2012.

• Like 1

How do we know it's going in the candle stick site?

It's NOT going to be ANYWHERE. There is NO other place w/in SF borders which would accommodate an Oly stadium, a separate warm-up track, space for auxuliary facilities always involved with the main stadium, etc. Even for the 2016 bid, before Candlestick was going to be torn down, that 49ers replacement stadium was going to be there beside the old one. SF is only like 43.7 sq. mi. -- a few sq.mi short of the magic '49.' ;)

It's NOT going to be ANYWHERE. There is NO other place w/in SF borders which would accommodate an Oly stadium, a separate warm-up track, space for auxuliary facilities always involved with the main stadium, etc. Even for the 2016 bid, before Candlestick was going to be torn down, that 49ers replacement stadium was going to be there beside the old one. SF is only like 43.7 sq. mi. -- a few sq.mi short of the magic '49.' ;)

Well then again this is coming from someone who does not know much about Atlanta ;)

Well then again this is coming from someone who does not know much about Atlanta ;)

Says the person who thinks Atlanta could host again.

Seriously though, with regard to San Francisco, baron is right on that one. SF proper lacks the space to accommodate the OIympics. Yes, they got the baseball stadium built and will have the new arena for the Warriors in the next few years, but that's pretty simple compared to figuring out where to put a stadium (not to mention the post-Games legacy) and everything else they'll need. Candlestick point doesn't seem like it'll be the solution.

In order of seriousness from that list, I'd say:

Los Angeles

Boston

Dallas

Philadelphia

San Diego

San Francisco

Washington DC

What is the criteria we're going with here? Is it most capable of putting together a solid bid or the city that's most driven to do so? You can probably put Los Angeles at the top of any such list. I'm still skeptical a little skeptical of Boston though. I like the narrative they can potentially bring, but I'd still like to see some semblance of an overall plan as well as some support to go behind it.

At this point, if the USOC (eventually) trims the list of cities to 3, we're looking at Los Angeles, Dallas and Boston. Maybe Philadelphia figures in there somewhere. We know San Diego is interested, but the whole Tijuana issue seems like it'll be a problem. As noted, San Francisco probably won't get their act together. And DC probably won't get themselves off the ground.

So based on all that, I'm less than inspired thus far. Maybe 1 of those cities will emerge with a compelling plan but I'm not sure I see it happening for 2024.