USA 2024

Athensfan

Well, it is part of the narrative of some bidding cities lines such as 'we've been improving our city and gaining experience just to be ready for your games, dear IOC members', even if it's a lie. Since the US is just too good for anything less than the Olympics themselves and builds bids based on previous olympic experiences, it becomes very difficult to adjust the pitch and tone to avoid sounding like you just deserve the games and that's all. Some questions go unanswered this way: Why the US wants a 5th summer games? For whom they're hosting? What kind of boost does any Olympic-calibre American city expect from the games?

The latest winning cities emphasized they've been dreaming for ages for their turn and one and other city pretend their Olympic dream grew out of many smaller ambitions. Durban and Paris can be very dangerous bids if they can push that kind of emotional plea, which the IOC loves. Answering an USOC roll call? Sounds like a very cold starting point for any narrative even for the most viable bid of a sports mad nation.

Victor from what I have seen the US's tone has been more "lets celebrate and have a great time in a great city with great people" at least that's the vibe I get.

NYC or any other American city doesn't need it -- but the US has been absent from any real significant world championships or major regional Games by the time the election for 2024, 28 or 32 come around that, other than LA or NYC, something like a PanAms would be nice on the resume of SF, Dallas, Boston or even Philly. Not obligatory...but at least gets that city/US back in the psyche of int'l sports officials. But it won't happen unless the host city gets a lucrative TV deal which it won't.

Would Love the Pan-Ams in SF.

Victor from what I have seen the US's tone has been more "lets celebrate and have a great time in a great city with great people" at least that's the vibe I get.

That's what the US's tone is? Jeez.. no wonder we lost with New York and Chicago!

No, that isn't nor should it be the USOC's tone. Hosting an Olympics is not just about putting on a 2 1/2 week event. It's about the Olympics leaving it's mark on a city and that city furthering the Olympic movement. That's why there always needs to be a narrative involved.. what the Olympics is going to do for that city and more importantly, what that city is going to do for the Olympics. If all the USOC was offering was "come here, it's be a fun time," we're gonna be waiting a long time for an Olympics in this country. They need to have more than that. A lot more than that.

Well, that's news to me. I haven't gotten that sense at all from recent campaigns. Can't imagine a much weaker platform for a bid.

• 4 weeks later...

which city will be USA's 2024 bid?

Baton Rouge

OR Tulsa! :lol:

Doesn't mean the USOC will automatically go with them just bcuz of their strong interest though.

Yes, but look at Los Angeles strong legacy from bidding, and from the looks of it LA's plans could be very similar to London's.

What a wannabe city will do for the Olympic movement? Put on the MOST BOMBASTIC Opening Ceremonies evah!! :lol:

Burst out laughing when I read this!

Atlanta, any one??

http://www.peachpundit.com/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-plan-move-to-cobb-county-by-2017/

Turner Field is available to be turned back into an Olympic track confederation! Here is the USOC's answer for 2024 and 2028!!

So the US could have TWO 2x Olympic stadia...one on each coast!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Atlanta, any one??

http://www.peachpundit.com/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-plan-move-to-cobb-county-by-2017/

Turner Field is available to be turned back into an Olympic track confederation! Here is the USOC's answer for 2024 and 2028!!

So the US could have TWO 2x Olympic stadia...one on each coast!!

Wishful thinking. You know that's not happening. They're not about to spend hundreds of millions of dollars turning a white elephant into an even better white elephant.

I'm sure it could be turned back into an Athletics config for $10-15 million. 2/3rds of the orig stadium is there - where it was in 1996.

Are you really sure about that?..

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/story/Braves-to-build-new-stadium-leave-Turner?blockID=960507&feedID=3703

Originally built for the 1996 Olympics, the Braves began playing at Turner Field in 1997. The team's lease with the stadium, which is owned by the City of Atlanta and the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority, ends in 2016. According to a release from the team, the stadium needs $150 million in renovations, including seat replacement, upgrades to lighting, etc. The Braves say improvements to the fan experience would incur additional costs in excess of $200 million.

Gonna take a hell of a lot more than $15 million to convert the stadium back for athletics. baron, once again, this is a comment that needs to be backed up with a lot more knowledge of the situation.

Are you really sure about that?..

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/story/Braves-to-build-new-stadium-leave-Turner?blockID=960507&feedID=3703

Gonna take a hell of a lot more than $15 million to convert the stadium back for athletics. baron, once again, this is a comment that needs to be backed up with a lot more knowledge of the situation.

Well, u're going for a Rolls Royce redo. I was just talking about a VW redo: just putting back the track and those basic concrete stands at the North End which were taken away after the Games. Now, if they want to pave the rest rooms with gold...which is what the Braves seem to want to do; then of course, it'll be closer to a Martin Luther King's ransom!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, u're going for a Rolls Royce redo. I was just talking about a VW redo: just putting back the track and those basic concrete stands at the North End which were taken away after the Games. Now, if they want to pave the rest rooms with gold...which is what the Braves seem to want to do; then of course, it'll be closer to a Martin Luther King's ransom!!

N8d08wV.jpg

So tell me again how converting the stadium back to athletics is just a matter of throwing some concrete stands back in? Seriously baron, I'm trying to be diplomatic about this, but if you want your opinion here to be taken seriously, you're not helping your cause when you say it would only take $15 million to revert this stadium back to what it was before the Olympics.

N8d08wV.jpg

As I don't follow American major league sports, I didn't realize they built many fancy stands in the far end. After I left Atlanta, I didn't and couldn't care less about how they would convert the ex-Olympic Stadium. What control could I have had over it anyway?

So maybe with the demolition of those and replacement (using the same type of pre-cast structure for the northern stands in 1996, it could cost a minimum of $30 mil. But if you want to throw in a fresh coat of paint, remodeling, changing plumbing etc, then yeah...the sky's the limit. But then u're again getting into the whole Beijing-Sochi-Doha syndrome whereby they could probably have staged their Games at half the cost...but since they want the finest that money can buy, then why even have a budget?? My point is, very basically, a 'bare-bones' re-conversion can be done for $30-50 million, including laying out a track, depending on how fancy you want to do the make-over.

Still $50 mil or more is NOTHING compared to what? at least $750 mil for a new, basic T&F 80,000 stadium ($1.1 billion if you want it A/C'ed like the Cowboys stadium. Hey...I know that one!! :P )

Edited by baron-pierreIV

As I don't follow American major league sports, I didn't realize they built many fancy stands in the far end. After I left Atlanta, I didn't and couldn't care less about how they would convert the ex-Olympic Stadium. What control could I have had over it anyway?

So maybe with the demolition of those and replacement (using the same type of pre-cast structure for the northern stands in 1996, it could cost a minimum of $30 mil. But if you want to throw in a fresh coat of paint, remodeling, changing plumbing etc, then yeah...the sky's the limit. But then u're again getting into the whole Beijing-Sochi-Doha syndrome whereby they could probably have staged their Games at half the cost...but since they want the finest that money can buy, then why even have a budget?? My point is, very basically, a 'bare-bones' re-conversion can be done for $30-50 million, including laying out a track, depending on how fancy you want to do the make-over.

Still $50 mil or more is NOTHING compared to what? at least $750 mil for a new, basic T&F 80,000 stadium ($1.1 billion if you want it A/C'ed like the Cowboys stadium. Hey...I know that one!! :P )

Uggggh.. you know what baron, I'm not having this discussion with you because if I do, I'm probably going to wind up offending you and neither of us want that. But seriously, no one is going to be interested in your opinion or insight on a subject you admittedly don't know about and don't care about (which, knowing your M.O. is a telltale sign you know you've made an ignorant comment and that's how you're going to exit the discussion). We know you don't have personal experience or observations on this, but come on, please don't pretend like nothing of any relevance happened in Atlanta after August 1996 just because you weren't there anymore.

Uggggh.. you know what baron, I'm not having this discussion with you because if I do, I'm probably going to wind up offending you and neither of us want that. But seriously, no one is going to be interested in your opinion or insight on a subject you admittedly don't know about and don't care about (which, knowing your M.O. is a telltale sign you know you've made an ignorant comment and that's how you're going to exit the discussion). We know you don't have personal experience or observations on this, but come on, please don't pretend like nothing of any relevance happened in Atlanta after August 1996 just because you weren't there anymore.

What? What do you want me to say? U ask for my opinions...and then you all but insult me to my face?

I'm sorry I'm NOT in your mind -- but I am entitled to my opinions and no, they don't have to be expert. But if you don't like my figures, then just blow them off. Or y don't you get expert opinions yourself if that seems to grate you so? This is NOT a Congressional record in that every post here has to be backed up by years and tons of evidence. For GS, D, lighten up. This is a mere chat forum of prognostications and conjectures -- nothing more. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV