USA 2024

Athensfan

I'd always fancied the idea of Michelle Obama heading a Chicago 2024 bid, before leading the OCOG. She would have that Gianna quality to her, smiling, beautiful, and on top of ****.

Except she's not the business woman or visionary that Gianna is. I actually think Michelle would be a pretty awful bid leader.

I agree that the leadership of a bid can make or break it, but you need a compelling city too. It's a "both/and" situation.

Exactly, cuz you could have the greatest bid leader in the world, but it would mean absolutely nothing if the bid city were Minneapolis, Cincinnati or Tulsa. The product that you're trying to sell also has to be great.

Except she's not the business woman or visionary that Gianna is. I actually think Michelle would be a pretty awful bid leader.

I agree that the leadership of a bid can make or break it, but you need a compelling city too. It's a "both/and" situation.

I agree. Michelle is smart, pretty and articulate, but honestly I can say that about most of the women attorneys that I work with. What sets her a part, is that she can publicly show empathy very well, and she has grace while doing it. Those are good qualities to have, but that doesn't make her a good manager or creative when it comes to putting together a bid.

I agree. Michelle is smart, pretty and articulate, but honestly I can say that about most of the women attorneys that I work with. What sets her a part, is that she can publicly show empathy very well, and she has grace while doing it. Those are good qualities to have, but that doesn't make her a good manager or creative when it comes to putting together a bid.

She's a public face. That hardly makes her the best pick to head up an Olympic bid. I'm sure Chicago or whatever other city could find someone better to lead it and then maybe you bring the Obamas on board, if nothing else as figureheads.

This is all rather silly and EXCEEDINGLY premature. They will get someone with CEO (+ maybe some sports Mgmt) experience; Mrs. Obama doesn't have that. I don't even know how her name came up. :wacko: Even Hilary Clinton or Martha Stewart, who have far more executive experience, wouldn't be anywhere in the running.

i see no reference for security matters in a possible US host city....

George, do you know how many American cities have made a point to increase security around places like sporting events and transportation hubs and the like? As if any American city gives a crap right not about securing an event like the Olympics

Quite frankly, I think its abhorrent that George_D has used the Boston tragedy as a cheap shot at a potential US bid. Disgusting attitude, even if coming from an autistic internet troll.

George in no shape is an internet troll. Just stop. Definitely not a cheap shot either. The USA has terrorism to deal with so off course its not safe as other options.

Edited by intoronto

George in no shape is an internet troll. Just stop. Definitely not a cheap shot either. The USA has terrorism to deal with so off course its not safe as other options.

"Off course" indeed. Can't believe you're defending him. Thought you were classier than that.

"Off course" indeed. Can't believe you're defending him. Thought you were classier than that.

What does "class" have to do with this.

George isn't a troll. In hindsight though that comment might have been a cheap shot, but that doesn't make him a troll.

Anyone using terrorism as a reason against a U.S. bid or saying that "it's not safe as other options" are so full of BS & don't know what the heck they're talking about. The Olympics are a target of extremists no matter where they're held.

The U.K. is also at the top of the extremist 'hit list', which had the 7/7 attacks a day after they were awarded the Games themselves, but London 2012 itself went off without a hitch. Sochi is only down the street from one of the most volite areas on the planet (& coincedently, where one of the Boston suspects were born), but yet they're hosting 2014 in just a few months. PyeongChang is in a country that is always being threatened from being blown off the map, but yet they're still hosting 2018. Madrid is on the 2020 short-list which suffered the worst terrorist attack in Western Europe in 2004. So please, let's stop with this 'not safe as other options' nonsense.

• Like 1

It's actually hard to think of many potential rivals to the US which are definitely safer. South Africa certainly isn't, Istanbul has its own issues which an Olympics could be a magnet for, Madrid as you say has had attacks, Tokyo isn't immune. Paris is perhaps safer being less of a target for Islamists than the world's superpower and being a generally safe city anyway. But that's not going to be a decisive factor in France's favour.

Boston's tragedy merely adds another level of worry, and to all Olympics; that is how on earth do you police 26 miles of roads if there really is someone who wants to do damage? In truth, you probably can't. I said several times before London 2012 that if a terrorist really wanted to target us they could quite easily as long as they weren't too ambitious. You can lock-down an Olympic Park and the self-contained venues, but you can't lock-down an entire city. You can't have police checking every bus, bus stop, train, train station, every street, every pub, every restaurant etc.

Actually as a Boston resident let me tell you about this 'locking down the entire city' thing.

OK, ok.......odd day for me to make that point, fair enough. But in the normal course of things and for the purposes of this thread let's just say you can't lock-down a whole city. I mean, no Olympic security plan is going to come with a "don't leave your homes" directive is it?!

Hope things calm down there soon for you Joe, and that they get the bomber. It's all looked pretty scary.

Edited by RobH

Although no official decision has been made on a U.S. bid for an upcoming Games, USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said at an event in Atlanta on Thursday: “We are working hard on bringing 2024 back to the United States.”

He also revealed that he spent time seeking advice from Atlanta 1996 President Billy Payne and A.D. Frazier, the Chief Operating Officer for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games.

Frazier was blunt in his assessment of the current bid process.

“I gave him some advice and said, ‘If we can’t afford it, let’s don’t bid on it because it’s going to cost an arm and a leg, and you’ve got to wonder whether it’s really worth it anymore, because it’s just too doggone expensive,’” Frazier tells Around the Rings. “I think he’d like to put a U.S. bid in, and I think he will.”

Frazier, who is now president of a nontraditional private equity firm called Georgia Oak Partners LLC, says Texas is “probably the one jurisdiction that can afford it. And if they’re willing to do it, I say, ‘Go for it.’ I think it’s a wonderful thing to host the Olympic Games.”

He said Dallas would probably be favored over Houston.

“I think the state of Texas is probably big enough and with enough infrastructure and enough money and a statewide interest, that they could probably pull it off,” he said.

“Anyway, these guys know how to think big. They think like Billy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t bid for the U.S.”

Frazier said Atlanta was the last Olympics to use sponsorship money for infrastructure, including the Olympic Stadium. “The IOC really didn’t like that,” he said. “And when we did it, they said, ‘Never again.’”

He dismissed a U.S. bid for the Winter Olympics. “The Winter Games are about one-fifth the size of the Summer Games, and the Summer Games really define the movement,” Frazier said. “If you’re not in the 100-meter dash, you’re not in the Olympics.”

Dallas is the only option?

Source

Edited by intoronto

Although no official decision has been made on a U.S. bid for an upcoming Games, USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said at an event in Atlanta on Thursday: “We are working hard on bringing 2024 back to the United States.”

He also revealed that he spent time seeking advice from Atlanta 1996 President Billy Payne and A.D. Frazier, the Chief Operating Officer for the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games.

Frazier was blunt in his assessment of the current bid process.

“I gave him some advice and said, ‘If we can’t afford it, let’s don’t bid on it because it’s going to cost an arm and a leg, and you’ve got to wonder whether it’s really worth it anymore, because it’s just too doggone expensive,’” Frazier tells Around the Rings. “I think he’d like to put a U.S. bid in, and I think he will.”

Frazier, who is now president of a nontraditional private equity firm called Georgia Oak Partners LLC, says Texas is “probably the one jurisdiction that can afford it. And if they’re willing to do it, I say, ‘Go for it.’ I think it’s a wonderful thing to host the Olympic Games.”

He said Dallas would probably be favored over Houston.

“I think the state of Texas is probably big enough and with enough infrastructure and enough money and a statewide interest, that they could probably pull it off,” he said.

“Anyway, these guys know how to think big. They think like Billy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t bid for the U.S.”

Frazier said Atlanta was the last Olympics to use sponsorship money for infrastructure, including the Olympic Stadium. “The IOC really didn’t like that,” he said. “And when we did it, they said, ‘Never again.’”

He dismissed a U.S. bid for the Winter Olympics. “The Winter Games are about one-fifth the size of the Summer Games, and the Summer Games really define the movement,” Frazier said. “If you’re not in the 100-meter dash, you’re not in the Olympics.”

Dallas is the only option?

Source

Why does everybody think that Houston can't handle the pressure nor have the infrastructure to put on the Olympics? somebody please explain that to me?