USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess BR2028 wasn't kidding, we really did take over Canada, thus making this domestic??...

Air_Canada_Embraer_ERJ-190,_C-FHNY@LGA,0

Major airports in Canada have US Customs/Immigration and Border Control at the Canadian airports, thus flights to and from Canada are treated as domestic flights.

I think BR2028 has a point, Canada and the US should kinda loosen up on the border, I could see something like what Europe has being implemented over in the States/Canada.

That's a horrible idea for so many reasons. To start, America is way too paranoid for that to happen, and with good reason. It's not a good idea for the most hated country in the world to loosen up it's borders.

The following articles provides some great insights into the anti-Olympic position in NYC. The primary concerns seem to be the "condescending" and imperious IOC, improper land use and the diversion of funds and human resources away from thoughtful urban development and civic organization. The author makes it clear that NYC should not allow itself to get sucked into the IOC's game "ever again."

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/bondy-nyc-2024-olympics-article-1.1793616

Good find. Far from an official proclamation from anyone directly involved with the NYC bid, but I think it captures the general sentiment of how New Yorkers would feel about an Olympic bid. Again, not impossible someone could impress de Blasio enough to get him on board, but he's not Bloomberg. Mayor Mike was more gung ho about this effort than his successor is likely to be and I can't see a plan coming together for 2024 that out-shines the failed attempt for 2012. Which means no Olympic bid from NYC.

I need to see the London model strongly peddled by the forces that be for a New York bid, otherwise... as they say... "#bye."

What exactly does that even mean? What is the London model that could but peddled by the forces that be to those who might back a New York bid? This is the Olympics we're talking about. Every city is vastly different. What works or doesn't work for 1 city doesn't mean much if anything for another city.

Did you know there is more illegal immigration over the Canadian border than the Mexican

But why would they want to leave the land of nice people to the land of grease and obesity? :blink: (I suppose it'll be harder to tell if they're illegal immigrants since both nationalities speak English)

But why would they want to leave the land of nice people to the land of grease and obesity? :blink: (I suppose it'll be harder to tell if they're illegal immigrants since both nationalities speak English)

I think you'll find it's going the other way? :)...to Canada?

What exactly does that even mean? What is the London model that could but peddled by the forces that be to those who might back a New York bid? This is the Olympics we're talking about. Every city is vastly different. What works or doesn't work for 1 city doesn't mean much if anything for another city.

Obviously I'm speaking generally here.

Hammer home sustainability, cost efficiency, urban redevelopment where it is needed, and a strong commitment across the board to a positive post-Games legacy. The London way of hosting.

Better donuts. Seriously, Tim Horton is crap compared to the amazing donuts you can get in the US.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio Decides Against Bid to Host 2024 Olympics

Mayor Bill de Blasio has ruled out any possibility that New York City will submit a bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, a top member of his staff said Tuesday.

The administration decided not to pursue the Games after looking at the pros and cons of bidding for and hosting the event, said Alicia Glen, deputy mayor for housing and economic development.

Mr. de Blasio said he would consider the Olympics when news broke earlier this month that Dan Doctoroff, the driving force of the city's unsuccessful bid for the 2012 Games and a top official under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, had broached the possibility of pursuing the 2024 Games with Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration. At that time, however, Mr. de Blasio warned that the bar would be high.

Mr. Cuomo confirmed earlier this month that his office was examining Mr. Doctoroff's proposal. A spokesman for Mr. Cuomo declined to comment Tuesday.

A spokesman for Mr. Doctoroff declined to comment; Jay Kriegel, executive director of the city's 2012 bid, also declined to comment.

The U.S. Olympic Committee selected New York to be the nation's nominee for the 2012 Summer Games, but London ultimately won the prize. New York City has never hosted the Games.

Ms. Glen said Mr. de Blasio, with other top officials at City Hall, recently reviewed the possibility of a bid for 2024 and decided it "doesn't make sense."

Ms. Glen said many cities pursue the Games because it brings recognition, but "very few people would say that New York City is not quote on the map and is not a major global city."

Cities also have sought the Games to boost tourism. But Ms Glen said the city already was experiencing record-high tourism numbers, with more than 54 million visitors last year.

"Our feeling is that you could actually deter tourism to some extent by hosting an Olympic Games," she said.

Ms. Glen said top officials also feared an Olympic bid would distract from the mayor's economic-development agenda. If the city focused on particular sporting venues, or particular neighborhoods where events would be held, other parts of the city could be neglected, she said.

The mayor wants to make development decisions on "sound economic and public policy" goals, she said, "rather than perhaps going in a particular direction because of the needs of a 17-day event."

Ms. Glen said she had only informal discussions with Mr. Doctoroff. "They never formally put in a request to meet with the mayor," she said.

She said the mayor would re-evaluate in four years whether to bid for a subsequent Summer Games—those for 2028—if the U.S. Olympic Committee was then seeking an American host city.

The committee is unlikely to choose a city without strong local political support, officials have said. A committee spokesman declined to comment on the de Blasio administration's decision. The committee is in discussions with about 10 cities nationwide, the spokesman said.

Carol Kellermann, president of the Citizens Budget Commission, a nonpartisan civic organization in New York City, said she opposed an Olympic bid.

"We have a lot of infrastructure needs for the residents and employers," she said. "The [Metropolitan Transportation Authority] has tremendous capital needs and challenges. And that's something that should take priority over building an Olympic Village."

Ms. Glen said she understood hosting the Games was an "incredibly romantic and appealing notion."

"But I think when you actually ask the average New Yorker on the street whether or not the city should be focusing its planning effort, its infrastructure effort, its policing, its transportation around an event that will happen for three weeks in the summer 10 years from now, versus getting down to business with all of the challenges and opportunities we have in front of us right now, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of New Yorkers would say, 'I'd rather watch it on my big screen TV at home,'" she said.

The city is considering bidding for the 2016 Democratic National Convention, but no decision has been made, she said.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304587704579588551602235072?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304587704579588551602235072.html

Krispy Kreme...Dunkin Donuts...Wendys Donuts...ummm.

I've never heard of Wendy's donuts but dunkin and Krispy Kreme are both available in Canada. There not as popular because Canadians don't like how greasy and fattening the American donuts are.

I've never heard of Wendy's donuts but dunkin and Krispy Kreme are both available in Canada. There not as popular because Canadians don't like how greasy and fattening the American donuts are.

They'd rather have all that Canadian bacon grease and Canadian geese pate de foie gras. ;)

I have never even heard of Wendy's donuts. I'm with you on the grease thing, Krispy Kreme is disgusting and Dunkin taste like stale bread. I prefer Mary Lee's or a nice Cafe du Monde Beignets....

Well, de Blasio's point of view is totally defensible. The IOC has WAY more to gain from NYC than the other way around.

Will the IOC take any notice of this? Probably not. I expect Bach to dismiss it with a wave of the hand.

I'm personally a Tim Horton's guy bring Canadian and all. But I'm always down for a nice Krispy Kreme donut, but in moderation of course. Those things are really greasy. As for Dunkin, their entire store is filled with crap. I have no idea how that company makes any money.

Bcuz their coffee is so much better & cheaper than bitter, rip-off Starbucks. I don't get any pastry from Dunkin.

Yeah, the drinks aren't bad. I agree Starbucks is way too overpriced and pretentious. The best alternative is Timmies though. It's too bad you guys don't have that many. You really are missing out.

Archived