USA 2024

Athensfan

Things change. When we Bidded in 2005, we didn't know West Ham were going to move into the Olympic Stadium. So at the time, 55,000 Seats wasn't needed, so our Requirement was to keep the Lower Bowl and Existing Boxes and a Capacity of 25,000 for Athletics Meetings. Of course, West Ham then showed interest on moving into the Stadium and Won. So we now have a 55,000 Retractable Seater Football/Athletics Stadium. It was partly down to the Government, but partly because of a change of interest. A crucial point of converting the Stadium was to keep the Athletics Track, especially since we Won the 2017 IAAF World Athletics Championships and 2017 IPC World Athletics Championships. Things change, that's life. The Bird's Nest was going to have a Retractable Roof with 100,000 Seats, in the end, they had 91,000 Seats (80,000 after the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics) with no Retractable Roof. No one can read into the Future, we didn't know West Ham was going to show interest into moving into the Olympic Stadium.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bid". Then see if you mom won't add this to your lesson plans: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

Also:

s.gifroyalty-free-vector-logo-of-a-cartoon-ta

Just stop. It's off topic, stop pointing it out. I have learning difficulties, get over it.

Just stop. It's off topic, stop pointing it out. I have learning difficulties, get over it.

Stop hiding your laziness behind your learning difficulties. You can learn. It's just difficult. You choose not to.

There are dozens of tools out there to help you. Use them.

Things change. When we Bidded in 2005, we didn't know West Ham were going to move into the Olympic Stadium. So at the time, 55,000 Seats wasn't needed, so our Requirement was to keep the Lower Bowl and Existing Boxes and a Capacity of 25,000 for Athletics Meetings. Of course, West Ham then showed interest on moving into the Stadium and Won. So we now have a 55,000 Retractable Seater Football/Athletics Stadium. It was partly down to the Government, but partly because of a change of interest. A crucial point of converting the Stadium was to keep the Athletics Track, especially since we Won the 2017 IAAF World Athletics Championships and 2017 IPC World Athletics Championships. Things change, that's life. The Bird's Nest was going to have a Retractable Roof with 100,000 Seats, in the end, they had 91,000 Seats (80,000 after the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics) with no Retractable Roof. No one can read into the Future, we didn't know West Ham was going to show interest into moving into the Olympic Stadium.

Not quite right Tony. It was the Mayor in conjunction with the Legacy Company who initiated the change of plan, not West Ham. Bids were then invited one of which was West Ham's. Then things got messy....before finally being resolved.

In any case, and back on topic, the 2012 and 2016 bid races both had one contender offering a downsizeable stadium as their legacy plan. One bid won (London) and another didn't (Chicago). The IOC and the IAAF seem to be perfectly happy to go with a partially temporary stadium solution if it's part of the bid they want to win and if the legacy is beneficial. In London's case, the prospect of a modern home for British Athletics to replace Crystal Palace actually bolstered the bid and arguably, in combination with a few other factors, was a reason we got over the line first.

Nacre is therefore wrong when he says "until someone hosts with a temporary main stadium I will be dubious the IOC and IAAF will accept one"

Stop hiding your laziness behind your learning difficulties. You can learn. It's just difficult. You choose not to.

Zeke just shut up, it's one thing to talk about his over love for England, it's another to be ableist.

Not quite right Tony. It was the Mayor in conjunction with the Legacy Company who initiated the change of plan, not West Ham. Bids were then invited one of which was West Ham's. Then things got messy....before finally being resolved.

In any case, and back on topic, the 2012 and 2016 bid races both had one contender offering a downsizeable stadium as their legacy plan. One bid won (London) and another didn't (Chicago). The IOC and the IAAF seem to be perfectly happy to go with a partially temporary stadium solution if it's part of the bid they want to win and if the legacy is beneficial. In London's case, the prospect of a modern home for British Athletics to replace Crystal Palace actually bolstered the bid and arguably, in combination with a few other factors, was a reason we got over the line first.

Nacre is therefore wrong when he says "until someone hosts with a temporary main stadium I will be dubious the IOC and IAAF will accept one"

Forgot that was proposed...

Zeke just shut up, it's one thing to talk about his over love for England, it's another to be ableist.

Forgot that was proposed...

Ableist is to assume that somebody with learning difficulties can't bother to learn. I want Tony to think, to learn, to post better. You got a problem with that?

Ableist is to assume that somebody with learning difficulties can't bother to learn. I want Tony to think, to learn, to post better. You got a problem with that?

No I don't, but the way you said it came across as very ableist.

I've always said I live in LA. You're just too new to the boards to know it.

Yeah, your right :unsure:

We all want that. Making taco posts is probably not going to get it though. It's quickly becoming less funny and more douchey.

The legacy plan is the key. But there's a line between downsizeable and temporary. So in that regard, London's offering was a lot different from that of Chicago's.

We have never seen a temporary athletics stadium in the Olympics. (Permanent structures have been remodeled afterwards, but nobody has ever hosted with temporary bleachers.) Until someone hosts with a temporary main stadium I will be dubious the IOC and IAAF will accept one.

iirc, PyeongChang is planning to use a temporary stadium for their ceremonies

And your home city is revealed!

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/22459-usoc-reaching-out-to-us-cities-for-potential-2024-bid/page-16#entry387392

(Even though I've only recently started to post, I've been following this forum for a while now)

I'll admit I've been a participant of the Tony bandwagon - but you can't seriously believe what you're writing here, can you?

So true, Chicago's venues were super bland and boring. Nothing sexy, as most were temporary or existing. Looking back, I am happy that Chicago did not win. Honestly, their fiscal house is not in order right now, and the economy really needs to get stronger before even considering a bid again.

Interesting though how a new basketball arena is likely going to be built right next to McCormick Place which would have hosted a slew of other Olympic sports as well. This building was never even part of the bid. Also, a brand new 1,200 room hotel is going up too right near the site.

I guarantee that if Mayor Rahm Emanuel can bring crime down, the public pension issue resolved, and the economy stronger, he no doubt will champion an Olympic bid sometime down the road (just like Daley had a change of heart in his twilight years). His ego is too big not to want it. It certainly won't be for 2024. Maybe 2028 or 2032. Time will only tell...

depaul-arena-1.jpeg

DePaul-University-Basketball-Arena-by-Ce

If you google Nyc olympics and go to news then you are able to get past the paywall, atleast for me

I just checked out the article (registration for limited access to articles on the site is free). It's against their copyrights to cut and paste to another site, but here's a summary...

Dan Doctoroff has submitted plans to governor Andrew Cuomo talking about the prospect of an Olympics (the article meantions 2024 in the first paragraph). The plan is focused on Queens, where Cuomo is originally from. Sounds like this is being spurred on by London 2012 and that Doctoroff is offering this plan could kick-start development in New York, including transforming rail yards, adding housing units, and possibly moving the convention center to Queens.

The article slates that there have been discussions between Doctoroff's group and NYC mayor Bill de Blasio and it's possible an advisory committee will be created. But it also goes on to note that de Blasio is not high on that Olympics and that a spokesman for the mayor has said it is not something the administration is considering.

Archived