USA 2024

Athensfan

Well, like this year, the 2026 WOG preliminary deadline would be shortly after PyongChang; so like March or April 2018. If 2024 is a no-go which we will know by the end of the year, then there will be plenty of time to ramp up for a 2026 winter derby.

And if 2024 isn't a no-go? You're right that if the USOC declines to bid for 2024, they're probably going to take a look at a Winter bid. But at this point, I don't know how likely that is. If the USOC bids for 2024, the odds are slim they'll entertain the notion of a Winter 2026 bid.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine with more European games, just means more Euro cities get to show up London :D

London did set a High Standard for Sustainability.

No Tony they did not, Barcelona did and every city since then has followed suit. Even then I think the one summer city that still did a better job then London is Sydney, that's a true revitalization story there and it did not require uprooting already established communities.

It is unfair IMO. Difference is, Asia is a Continent, America is a Country. Also, if it was for example, Atlanta 1996 and Calgary 1998, that's not an issue IMO, but America getting 2 Olympics in 6 Years was unfair. It would be unfair if Oslo or Krakow lose out and Beijing or Almaty get 2022, seeing as though PyeongChang has 2018 and Tokyo has 2020.

Tony no it's fucking not. Do you not understand that in the '96 race the ONLY viable option was Atlanta? Not to mention the same thing occurred for 2002? Tony, you also need to take into account other peoples feelings, everything you have said today is highly offensive to people in Europe, the Americas, and Asia.

Sion, Switzerland? Also, I didn't say Salt Lake shouldn't of got 2002, my point is, 6 year gap is unfair.

Tony the fair comes once a year and it was not then. Sion had a terrible bid and was certainly not capable, you also have to remember that ALL cities at that time cheated and bribed. SLC got busted because a reporter noticed something fishing and raked it into the public's eyes.

Mr. Bernham don't even bother. They guy is impossible to get through to and I think we're all just going to have to live with his ill-informed, useless and incompetent posts. He's not going anywhere. Just put him on ignore.

Shifting summer to winter bids is such an unfocused, bad strategy, usually postponing the biggest prize: the Summer Games. Paris and Toronto are the benchmarks of that.

Was it a prize for Montreal?

Los Angeles is the only US city that can realistically be an Olympic host without massive amounts of money being spent. However Los Angeles is also unappealing because it has hosted twice before and the Olympics won't galvanize any long term redevelopment of the city. Los Angeles has blighted satellites, not neighborhoods, so there isn't much of a chance for urban redesign the way there is in North Philadelphia or the South Side of Chicago.

If the winter games work for Boston but the summer games don't, should Boston bid for the summer games anyway because they are more prestigious?

Mr. Bernham don't even bother. They guy is impossible to get through to and I think we're all just going to have to live with his ill-informed, useless and incompetent posts. He's not going anywhere. Just put him on ignore.

He has been on ignore, I just saw the stuff he posted and it infuriated me.

Tony the fair comes once a year and it was not then. Sion had a terrible bid and was certainly not capable, you also have to remember that ALL cities at that time cheated and bribed. SLC got busted because a reporter noticed something fishing and raked it into the public's eyes.

A "reporter" didn't notice anything. It was Swiss IOC member, Marc Holder, that blew the whistle on everything. And I wouldn't say that Sion had a "terrible bid" & that it was "certainly not capable" since they were the initial favorites to win 2006, & was the only other bid, out of the initial six, that got taken to a one & only ballot along with Turin. But of course, tit for tat, & the IOC decided to give those Games to the Italians instead, mainly due to Holder's snitching.

But yes, a lot of cities were doing the same at the time, & it does get annoying at times when a lot the foreigners here bring up the "scandal". There were also allegations against Nagano & Sydney, but nothing was ever proven. And apparently the JOC rid themselves of documents that allegedly listed many "gifts" to some IOC members during their 1998 campaign. But of course, Salt Lake 2002 was the unfortunate one to get their hand caught in the cookie jar. Even Canadian, senior IOC member Dick Pound, said that Salt Lake didn't need to go to such lengths, since overall, their bid was the best outta the 2002 lot.

Atlanta and Salt Lake City certainly lucked out with their competition. To Tony's credit, under different circumstances it may have been much harder for the US to pull of the double. But if the best available candidate happened to have hosted rather recently, then so be it. That's going to be the case in 2022 too. If China is the last one standing, they're getting the Games even if it's an Asian threepeat. It doesn't matter whether it's "fair" or not. The world isn't fair (Ofan97's Life Lessons #1)

It's hard to when his fights clog up six pages of formerly educated and civil discussion. Alas I guess I'll have to make an effort.

It takes a team effort to make a change. (Ofan97's Life Lessons #2)

Los Angeles has blighted satellites, not neighborhoods, so there isn't much of a chance for urban redesign the way there is in North Philadelphia or the South Side of Chicago.

I have to disagree with you on that, east LA is pretty bad, just like south chicago and north philly

I have to disagree with you on that, east LA is pretty bad, just like south chicago and north philly

I find most of LA is pretty bad. The cities surrounding it are nice, but LA is a trash can.

Was it a prize for Montreal?

Los Angeles is the only US city that can realistically be an Olympic host without massive amounts of money being spent. However Los Angeles is also unappealing because it has hosted twice before and the Olympics won't galvanize any long term redevelopment of the city. Los Angeles has blighted satellites, not neighborhoods, so there isn't much of a chance for urban redesign the way there is in North Philadelphia or the South Side of Chicago.

If the winter games work for Boston but the summer games don't, should Boston bid for the summer games anyway because they are more prestigious?

The examples I'm talking about are the 1992 bids, in which France put Albertville and Paris simultaneously and the Canadian bid of Vancouver 2010 just after Toronto 2008. Had Canada insisted on a Summer Games and not a Winter edition, Toronto could be in a much better position for, say, a 2016 bid at the time, before this current bid crisis kicked in.

The theory of the Winter Games as a consolation prize is well known and some put Torino 2006 as (also) a case of consolation for Rome 2004. The USOC on the other hand have previously denied rumoring bids from winter cities in 2018 and 2022 and all their unprecedented planning and calculations this time indicate they won't throw away their next chance at the Summer event with a random winter bid like the French did in 1992. The IOC voters will take a strong candidate out of the way if it is reliable and the Winter Games have quite often been the sacrificial lamb of the tactic.

I find most of LA is pretty bad. The cities surrounding it are nice, but LA is a trash can.

In some parts, others are nice. The one thing that makes it look like crap are all the kitschy tourist sh!t. The Olympic bid is showcasing the best parts of the city, then again many American cities look like crap. We are too industrial in our design, Canada's cities look much nicer and have more waterfront development.

The examples I'm talking about are the 1992 bids, in which France put Albertville and Paris simultaneously and the Canadian bid of Vancouver 2010 just after Toronto 2008. Had Canada insisted on a Summer Games and not a Winter edition, Toronto could be in a much better position for, say, a 2016 bid at the time, before this current bid crisis kicked in.

Yes, but Vancouver was probably better for Canada than Toronto would have been. If you're assuming that hosting the summer games is worth it no matter what the cost, then Vancouver was a bad idea. But Vancouver was a great host (except for Nodar's death) and Toronto probably would have struggled with the legacy of the venues.

Toronto is a great city, but it is the same size as Atlanta, and the Canadian Football League is not going to sell out an 80,000 capacity Olympic Stadium.

If the USOC can find an economically responsible bid for the summer games that has a good chance of winning then they should put it forward. But what if they don't?

Sion, Switzerland? Also, I didn't say Salt Lake shouldn't of got 2002, my point is, 6 year gap is unfair.

Well, the US is the only capable country that could do that.... maybe Canada but it's just too small compared to the United States (by population)... now probably China..

Archived