USA 2024

Athensfan

The question for the US (and LA) really is if Paris and/or Durban bid, will the USOC do? I wouldn't if those 2 are running for 2024 or 2028.

L

Except (1) you don't get to wait to see who is running before you make your decisions and (2) Paris and especially Durban are beatable.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will probly see LA pushed for the US candidate. But we've had London and now Tokyo previous olympic hosts. Will they want LA now? It already doesn't sound very appealing . At least for me. I would want to see an innovative, unexpected and fun bid to jeopardize the bidding process and the love going for Paris and Durban if they come to apply

Change the way you think before posting.

How about simply "think before posting."

Tony - dead serious advice here - think before you post. Write it down first. Ask yourself, "why am I posting this?" "does this add to the conversation?" "what do I home to accomplish by this post?" " is this post just going to piss people off?" "as a (supposedly) healthy 16-year old, do I have anything better to do?"

If you've asked yourself all those and still think it's a good post, go ahead and post. But for gods sake THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

Anyway, how is it fair America got 2 Olympic Games in 6 Years? (Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake 2002).

Fair (fare / faire / whatever) is where you bring your pig to be judged. It has nothing to do with who gets picked to host.

I've said I believe America will get the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, with Denver. So, it's not 40 Years. Anyway, how is it fair America got 2 Olympic Games in 6 Years? (Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake 2002).

Who should have gotten 1996 instead of Atlanta? Who should have gotten 2002 instead of Salt Lake? In the grand scheme of things, yea maybe it's a little unfair, but you can't look at it that way. The IOC votes 1 Olympics at a time and can only choose for those cities/countries that bid.

You're impossible.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is self-contradictory idiot.

Plus there are other cities who have voiced interest and the USOC would want to hear them all out. That process takes time. The 2026 applications will be due very soon after the 2024 vote. The USOC is spending years planning their course for 2024. It's extremely unlikely they would slap a bid together for 2026 in a few weeks without an internal evaluation.

They could always, you know, work on both.

I didn't even visit Wikipedia. I knew this information already. All Olympic Fans should know this.

If all Olympic fans should know that information (and all of us here by default are Olympic fans), why the need to share it with us as if we didn't know already?

The question for the US (and LA) really is if Paris and/or Durban bid, will the USOC do? I wouldn't if those 2 are running for 2024 or 2028.

LA knows how to cool it. Besides, the USOC has said that if they don't enter a 2024 bid, they will go for a 2026 WOG.

And besides, with the new NBC deal, that means that the IOC can give the US a Summer Games up to 2032 (which would be LA's Centennial).

That's not a question for LA. IMO, it's *A* question for the USOC, not the question. I know they've said before they're going to take into account who might be bidding against them, but if they think LA has got the goods, I think they're going to put them forward. The USOC shouldn't sit idly by simply because there are other noteworthy bidders out there and sit on their hands waiting for the competition to clear out. They were wise to take a break for 2020. They don't need to jump right back in for 2024, but again, if they have a worthy bid, they should put them up.

And the USOC said no such thing about 2026. They hinted that if things didn't come together for 2024, they would start looking at 2026. Well, the LA folks seem to have something cooking. If they want to shoot for 2024 and the USOC wants to back them (granted, those are both IFs at this point), they're going to bid. We know you want them to take a long look at 2026. Doesn't mean that's the wisest course of action for them.

Who should have gotten 1996 instead of Atlanta? Who should have gotten 2002 instead of Salt Lake? In the grand scheme of things, yea maybe it's a little unfair, but you can't look at it that way. The IOC votes 1 Olympics at a time and can only choose for those cities/countries that bid.

All I'm going to say is - 1996 (Athens) and 2002 was a scandal.

All I'm going to say is - 1996 (Athens) and 2002 was a scandal.

So who should have won 2002? If you can't give us another city that could have been awarded those Olympics, you could really make the case that it was unfair Salt Lake won, particularly when there were a mere 2 votes away from winning the `98 vote which occurred less than after Atlanta won for `96.

Well over a year ago they said they were contemplating 2024 or 2026. They chose 2024. There has been no public mention of a WOG bid.

Came from either Blackmun's or Probst's mouth. It was in a release.

That's not a question for LA. IMO, it's *A* question for the USOC, not the question. I know they've said before they're going to take into account who might be bidding against them, but if they think LA has got the goods, I think they're going to put them forward. The USOC shouldn't sit idly by simply because there are other noteworthy bidders out there and sit on their hands waiting for the competition to clear out. They were wise to take a break for 2020. They don't need to jump right back in for 2024, but again, if they have a worthy bid, they should put them up.

And the USOC said no such thing about 2026. They hinted that if things didn't come together for 2024, they would start looking at 2026. Well, the LA folks seem to have something cooking. If they want to shoot for 2024 and the USOC wants to back them (granted, those are both IFs at this point), they're going to bid. We know you want them to take a long look at 2026. Doesn't mean that's the wisest course of action for them.

Once burned, twice shy. Twice burned, stupider still.

Really? Sorry, I don't see it that way.

See above. It was in a release -- but since I know people here are in denial; I didn't bother saving it.

So who should have won 2002? If you can't give us another city that could have been awarded those Olympics, you could really make the case that it was unfair Salt Lake won, particularly when there were a mere 2 votes away from winning the `98 vote which occurred less than after Atlanta won for `96.

So you have never heard of the Salt Lake City scandal?

Well over a year ago they said they were contemplating 2024 or 2026. They chose 2024. There has been no public mention of a WOG bid. There is no guarantee that if a 2024 bid is abandoned that they will switch to 2026.

For now, it is clear that the USOC is only contemplating 2024. If they ultimately choose not to bid or if that bid loses, there is no guarantee of when they may bid again. That is not information that has been publicly discussed and I suspect the USOC is not even thinking that way.

See above. It was in a release -- but since I know people here are in denial; I didn't bother saving it.

Here's what a quick search in Google will turn up. This is from February of this year.. U.S. sounds out IOC on possible 2024, 2026 Olympic bid

The article does mention, although it's not a direct quote..

The U.S. Olympic Committee is currently weighing a possible run for the 2024 Summer Games. If that’s ruled out, the 2026 Winter Olympics would be an option.

It does however later go on to say, and this IS a direct quote from Blackmun..

"We’re not currently engaged in a process of weighing summer vs. winter," he said. "We’re engaged in a process of looking at what our options would be for a summer bid and assessing the viability of a summer bid."

So again.. the USOC has hinted that if they don't bid for 2024, they will look at 2026. Right now though, they are solely focused on 2024. If you want to call that a mistake (and we know your feelings on the matter), that's your opinion, but the USOC clearly feels different at the moment.

So you have never heard of the Salt Lake City scandal?

I'll ask the question again.. who should have been selected to host the 2002 Olympic Winter Games and Paralympic Winter Games? Yes, I've heard of the scandal. Thank you for your very patronizing tone with that question. Tell me who should have hosted?

I'll ask the question again.. who should have been selected to host the 2002 Olympic Winter Games and Paralympic Winter Games? Yes, I've heard of the scandal. Thank you for your very patronizing tone with that question. Tell me who should have hosted?

Sion, Switzerland? Also, I didn't say Salt Lake shouldn't of got 2002, my point is, 6 year gap is unfair.

Sion, Switzerland? Also, I didn't say Salt Lake shouldn't have got 2002, my point is, 6 year gap is unfair.

If you don't think Salt Lake was the wrong choice for 2002, then fair or unfair is irrelevant. Fairness often has very little to do with the selection of these host cities/countries.

Here's what a quick search in Google will turn up. This is from February of this year.. U.S. sounds out IOC on possible 2024, 2026 Olympic bid

The article does mention, although it's not a direct quote..

The U.S. Olympic Committee is currently weighing a possible run for the 2024 Summer Games. If that’s ruled out, the 2026 Winter Olympics would be an option.

It does however later go on to say, and this IS a direct quote from Blackmun..

"We’re not currently engaged in a process of weighing summer vs. winter," he said. "We’re engaged in a process of looking at what our options would be for a summer bid and assessing the viability of a summer bid."

So again.. the USOC has hinted that if they don't bid for 2024, they will look at 2026. Right now though, they are solely focused on 2024. If you want to call that a mistake (and we know your feelings on the matter), that's your opinion, but the USOC clearly feels different at the moment.

It's a matter of semantics. If 2024 doesn't work out, then certainly it's time for the USOC to look at their winter sports constituents. It's that simple.

Show me.

I haven't seen anything substantiating that claim.

It's a matter of semantics. If 2024 doesn't work out, then certainly it's time for the USOC to look at their winter sports constituents. It's that simple.

That's just not true.

If they want Summer Games, they should go after them until they get them.

If they decide they don't WANT Summer Games and they do want Winter, fine. Switch.

It would be stupid and short-sighted to switch to a WOG bid solely out of impatience.

An American WOG will just make it that much longer before they finally get a SOG. And the SOG clearly appears to be the number one goal -- as it should be.

Well, depends what happens with regard to 2024 not working out. If they decide not to bid, they can start looking at their winter sports constituents sometime mid-next year. If they do decide to bid for 2024, that's going to keep them pretty busy up into 2017 when the deadline to submit for the 2026 Olympics will hit. Is the USOC going to launch into a full-fledged effort to seek out a Winter host? Yes, they are capable of doing so, the question is whether or not that's a smart move.

We know your opinion is that the USOC should hold back on bidding for a Summer Olympics, especially if Paris or Durban are out there. I don't think that's going to happen though, and if they bid for 2024, that should be their sole focus IMO.

If they do decide to bid for 2024, that's going to keep them pretty busy up into 2017 when the deadline to submit for the 2026 Olympics will hit.

Well, like this year, the 2026 WOG preliminary deadline would be shortly after PyongChang; so like March or April 2018. If 2024 is a no-go which we will know by the end of the year, then there will be plenty of time to ramp up for a 2026 winter derby.

Well, like this year, the 2026 WOG preliminary deadline would be shortly after PyongChang; so like March or April 2018. If 2024 is a no-go which we will know by the end of the year, then there will be plenty of time to ramp up for a 2026 winter derby.

No.

The IOC will invite bids for 2026 in July/August of 2017. The 2024 winner will likely be announced in September of 2017. The deadline for 2026 bids will be March 2018. That is not "plenty of time."

Look at how long the USOC is taking to prepare a quality bid for 2024. They sent out their first letter on February 13, 2013. The IOC's bid deadline for 2024 won't be until September of 2015. That means the USOC allowed themselves over two and a half years lead time for 2024.

By contrast, you're saying that a mere 6 months is "plenty of time" to prepare a Winter bid for 2026. That's one fifth of the time allotted for the preparation of a summer bid.

Sorry, but you're not being realistic.

Shifting summer to winter bids is such an unfocused, bad strategy, usually postponing the biggest prize: the Summer Games. Paris and Toronto are the benchmarks of that.

EXACTLY.

The USOC ought to learn from the mistakes of others rather than proving the same principle all over again.

Archived