USA 2024

Athensfan

Coordinating / playing one Summer vs. one consecutive winter is really hard. There are no hard & fast rules for that. Remember that they used to award a Winter & Summer tandem to one country before? Well, now, it's maybe trying to create a balance between the 2, especially as more 'non-Winter' countries are trying to break into the WOGs. Funny that 'more-Winter' countries aren't trying to break into the Summer Games.

We don't know if Beijing will host in 2022, though. If Almaty is chosen for 2022 and 2024 goes to Los Angeles, Paris or Berlin, then I don't see any reason Shanghai couldn't host in 2028.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bcuz whatever losers of the 2024 race, would likely try again for 2028. Then throw in Durban &/or Istanbul in there as well, then another Chinese Summer Olympics only twenty years removed from Beijjng doesn't look too attractive when compared to all those others.

More than likely, whichever continent (be it Europe or North America) doesn't get 2024, would try again for 2028.

We don't know if Beijing will host in 2022, though. If Almaty is chosen for 2022 and 2024 goes to Los Angeles, Paris or Berlin, then I don't see any reason Shanghai couldn't host in 2028.

It's the 8's! Asia on the 8's!! The pattern will continue!! :D:lol::P;)

No, but seriously.. let's say Almaty gets 2022. That's 3 Asian Olympics in a row. Like FYI said, if any of those 3 cities you mention get 2024, you've potentially got the other 2 (plus let's not forget Durban) to oppose Shanghai in 2028. That's formidable competition and China can't quite play the population card like they did last time around. Similar to how the United States got 1996 when it was still a little too soon after LA `84, so too could the IOC be suffering from some Asia fatigue and want to back away from the continent a little bit.

In short.. yes, Shanghai could have a shot for 2028, but they would need the stars to align for them just like it did for Atlanta `96. Short of that, I just can't see it happening.

Los Angeles, Usa (Have Hosted before and have some Venues in place).

Woah... woah ,, woah! I think you're forgetting that LA is going to host the 2015 Special Olympics. How could you even ignore such an event that has the word 'Olympics' in the name?

No, but seriously.. let's say Almaty gets 2022. That's 3 Asian Olympics in a row. Like FYI said, if any of those 3 cities you mention get 2024, you've potentially got the other 2 (plus let's not forget Durban) to oppose Shanghai in 2028. That's formidable competition and China can't quite play the population card like they did last time around. Similar to how the United States got 1996 when it was still a little too soon after LA `84, so too could the IOC be suffering from some Asia fatigue and want to back away from the continent a little bit.

In short.. yes, Shanghai could have a shot for 2028, but they would need the stars to align for them just like it did for Atlanta `96. Short of that, I just can't see it happening.

Given the current view of the Olympics in Western Europe, it seems uncertain to me that Paris or Berlin are going to seriously pursue a bid for the 2024 or 2028 games at all. (By "seriously" I mean pass a public referendum and get the required government guarantees.) And if they do go ahead with a bid in 2024 and lose to Los Angeles, they will most likely lose the stomach for bidding again for a while.

I have no doubt that the IOC would prefer to come back to Paris rather than choose Shanghai or Guangdong. But it also seems much more likely to me that China will want to host again in the next decade and a half than France or Germany. As for rest of Europe, I don't see another city capable of winning the bidding process. And it looks like we will have to wait a long time for the next bid from Chicago, New York or Toronto.

That's still ignoring the potential for Durban &/or Istanbul to be in the mix as well. And right, Western Europe may be hesitant at this point in time to bid, so that make it all the more unlikely that Paris, Rome & Berlin to all bid at once. So whichever Euro city refrains from 2024, could very well go at it for 2028, since by then, it would be an unprecendented 16 years that the Summer Olympics would have been away from Europe & the continent would be in favorable contention, if say L.A. does end up with 2024.

Let's also keep in mind, that there's the aspect that the IOC wasn't exactly too thrilled with working with Beijing for 2008. It's what some on here like to cite against Beijing 2022. But considering the dire circumstances that is becoming the 2022 race, I could see the IOC holding their nose & go with at least reliable Chinese for their first (smaller) Winter Games than dealing with them again with the headaches of a much bigger Summer Olympic Games.

Sorry to sound so out of topic and ignorant... But which cities are in the US's internal bid process?

LA, DC, San franc

Sorry to sound so out of topic and ignorant... But which cities are in the US's internal bid process?

LA, DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Dallas, and San diego

Take this with a grain of salt, I suppose..

U.S. plans for 2024 Games to gain traction with NBC deal

It brings up some nice points and given that the US is the only serious bidder for 2024, I'm starting to see the light shine on the West.

LA, DC, San franc

LA, DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, Dallas, and San diego

San Francisco is NOT in the bidding.

It brings up some nice points and given that the US is the only serious bidder for 2024, I'm starting to see the light shine on the West.

Way too early to assume the USOC is serious. Sure, most of us got a little excited by seeing the document outling LA's plan, but until the USOC comes out and says it, we don't really have a gauge on just how serious a bidder the USOC is for 2024.

The whole point of 'rotation' and perhaps it's even more imperative these days is that people from one region of the globe are not always disadvantaged in getting to one gathering over the other. Before the war, before jet travel...it was because the majority of the organizers and participants lived in the compact continent called Europe. The Americans, Asians and Oceania peoples always had the greatest distances to travel to get to the Euro meets. After the war, with jet travel being more commonplace, more countries joining, making the membership of the IOC more universal, then it only makes sense to do a rotational basis so that it all seems fair. So yes, in an ideal world and scenario, rotation would be followed. But the timing and factors aren't always right...so there are deviations.

I don't think there ever needs to be a set rotation in the manner that FIFA tried to implement (and got away from once they had hit every continent). Geography is certainly a major factor in the selection of these host cities, but it shouldn't be a hard and fast rule to determine where in the world the Olympics are going next. Obviously when the IOC is presented with a situation like the 2020 vote, it is what it is and it's certainly not the end of the world to have 2 consecutive hosts from the same continent, but Olympic host cities are awarded one by one, it's tough to come up with a pattern to be followed. As much as some here have joked about Asia on the 8s or Summer Olympics ending in a 6 go to the Americas and the like, every vote is a function of who has entered it. Like we say all the time.. the IOC may have their preferences as to who they would like to see in the running, but beggars can't be choosers. They have the choices they're given. No more and no less.

I don't think there ever needs to be a set rotation in the manner that FIFA tried to implement (and got away from once they had hit every continent). Geography is certainly a major factor in the selection of these host cities, but it shouldn't be a hard and fast rule to determine where in the world the Olympics are going next. Obviously when the IOC is presented with a situation like the 2020 vote, it is what it is and it's certainly not the end of the world to have 2 consecutive hosts from the same continent, but Olympic host cities are awarded one by one, it's tough to come up with a pattern to be followed. As much as some here have joked about Asia on the 8s or Summer Olympics ending in a 6 go to the Americas and the like, every vote is a function of who has entered it. Like we say all the time.. the IOC may have their preferences as to who they would like to see in the running, but beggars can't be choosers. They have the choices they're given. No more and no less.

/\/\ You conveniently let out the first paragraph which sort of makes up my full thought there.

That's still ignoring the potential for Durban &/or Istanbul to be in the mix as well. And right, Western Europe may be hesitant at this point in time to bid, so that make it all the more unlikely that Paris, Rome & Berlin to all bid at once. So whichever Euro city refrains from 2024, could very well go at it for 2028, since by then, it would be an unprecendented 16 years that the Summer Olympics would have been away from Europe & the continent would be in favorable contention, if say L.A. does end up with 2024.

Let's also keep in mind, that there's the aspect that the IOC wasn't exactly too thrilled with working with Beijing for 2008. It's what some on here like to cite against Beijing 2022. But considering the dire circumstances that is becoming the 2022 race, I could see the IOC holding their nose & go with at least reliable Chinese for their first (smaller) Winter Games than dealing with them again with the headaches of a much bigger Summer Olympic Games.

Seriously? You think Istanbul would stand a chance against Rome, Berlin, Paris, Durban and Los Angeles?

Seriously? You think Istanbul would stand a chance against Rome, Berlin, Paris, Durban and Los Angeles?

First off, it is naive to think that all of those cities will bid in one cycle, this is not 2005. Secondly, with SA not proving capable of hosting an Olympic sized event and the troubles facing Rio, it will take some time for Durban to prove worthy. Next, it's even more naive to think Istanbul doesn't stand a chance; sure Turkey is not the best Middle Eastern nation, but it sure as hell is the only 'Middle East' nation that could host.

Honestly Tony, just because you don't like a city or think "It's Europe's time" does not mean you can ignore blatant facts. I highly doubt the IOC wanted to go back to Asia so soon, but Tokyo was their best 2020 option. For all we know the US may skip out on 2024 and make the playing field just Istanbul, Baku, and Doha.

The thing is, that no city is in the "bidding". All the USOC is doing right now is merely having serious talks with these seven cities (& yes, I agree that appears to even include San Francisco), as to whether to 'bid' or not.

Next month that list of seven is suppose to be trimmed down to two or three. And by the end of the year, the USOC will have finally made up their mind as to whether 'to bid or not to bid'.

First off, it is naive to think that all of those cities will bid in one cycle, this is not 2005. Secondly, with SA not proving capable of hosting an Olympic sized event and the troubles facing Rio, it will take some time for Durban to prove worthy. Next, it's even more naive to think Istanbul doesn't stand a chance; sure Turkey is not the best Middle Eastern nation, but it sure as hell is the only 'Middle East' nation that could host.

Honestly Tony, just because you don't like a city or think "It's Europe's time" does not mean you can ignore blatant facts. I highly doubt the IOC wanted to go back to Asia so soon, but Tokyo was their best 2020 option. For all we know the US may skip out on 2024 and make the playing field just Istanbul, Baku, and Doha.

We may not get all those cities, but I'm willing to bet the farm we'll get 1 of them. Particularly from the USOC.. if they've got a decent bid from LA (which it seems like they might) and the competition is as thin as in that hypothetical, watch how quickly they jump into the mix and against those 3 cities, pretty decent chance they win.

Yeah they're, explain in every news article why it says seven cities are in contention to be the US candidate. And then they mention the cities that are in the seven and San Fran is one.

Do those articles give a source for that info.... or did one guy just say it and everybody is now copying everybody else?

Do those articles give a source for that info.... or did one guy just say it and everybody is now copying everybody else?

I think that list is the most accurate that we've ever seen. You don't see the unlike-lies, like New York, Chicago, Minneapolis & Tulsa etc, on there anymore like we did before. And based on what the USOC has said, that they were/are talking to "less than ten cities" & also based on the cities that we do know have come out & said that they're looking into bidding &/or are looking into plans with Exploratory Committees & so forth, i.e. Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Boston & Philadelphia, than I say that's a pretty concrete list now. The only ones on there that I would still remain skeptical about is San Francisco & Washington, DC.

San Francisco is NOT bidding. They DON'T have a viable stadium. Other plans for the Candlestick parcel are already underway. The Hunters Point area where the 2016 Village was proposed is likewise being planned for other things now. NOT gonna happen in SF.

Yeah, and neither did New York or Chicago.

Well, we haven't heard anything about Dallas, Boston and Philadelphia either.. only about Los Angeles and San Diego.

Boston has formed an Exploratory Committee to "study" the feasibility of an Olympics. How far they have come along is still a question mark. Dallas also has a group of people, headed by Matt Woods, looking into a bid. They may not pan out in the end either, but we've heard more from them throughout this whole process than anything coming from San Francisco & DC.

Archived