USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American cities have bid for the summer games 36 times and have won only one time when running opposed. (And that one time was Atlanta . . .) It is pretty amazing when you think about it.

American cities have bid for the summer games 36 times and have won only one time when running opposed. (And that one time was Atlanta . . .) It is pretty amazing when you think about it.

This is such a valid point and it's one that so many people seem to forget.

The US does have a pretty significant number of capable cities. It is on this basis that I think it is reasonable to expect a serious Chinese bid for the Summer Olympics in the late 20s early 30s --- with or without a Beijing WOG going ahead or not.

The US does have a pretty significant number of capable cities. It is on this basis that I think it is reasonable to expect a serious Chinese bid for the Summer Olympics in the late 20s early 30s --- with or without a Beijing WOG going ahead or not.

There is only one Summer Olympics in the late 20's: 2028. There's no way China is landing 2028. Not with the aspirations of the US, Africa and Europe in play.

There is only one Summer Olympics in the late 20's: 2028. There's no way China is landing 2028. Not with the aspirations of the US, Africa and Europe in play.

While it would certainly be an Atlanta style upset, I would stop short of saying there is "no way" Shanghai 2028 could eventuate.

No way? How about LA gets 2024, and Africa/Europe sit out the 2028 bidding. We've got a chance at only Asia bids for 2022.... not crazy to think that could happen for 2028.

While it would certainly be an Atlanta style upset, I would stop short of saying there is "no way" Shanghai 2028 could eventuate.

Exactly. China is in a unique position that they have a 2nd very prominent alpha city to put forward. So it's a pretty safe bet where their next Summer Olympics is going to be held. Is 2028 too early for them to get it? Probably. But I not out of the realm of possible.

There is no way China will land another Summer Olympics until at least late 2030's, early 2040's. Predictions. (By the way, I'm not saying it's going to happen, it's who I think will get it:

2022 Winter Olympics:

Oslo, Norway.

2024 Summer Olympics:

Rome, Italy.

2026 Winter Olympics:

Denver, Usa.

2028 Summer Olympics:

Durban, South Africa.

2030 Winter Olympics:

Krakow, Poland.

2032 Summer Olympics:

Berlin, Germany.

2034 Winter Olympics:

Almaty, Kazakhstan.

2036 Summer Olympics:

Toronto, Canada.

2038 Winter Olympics:

Stockholm, Sweden.

2040 Summer Olympics:

Shanghai, China.

Correction: (Get it).

There is no way China will land another Summer Olympics until at least late 2030's, early 2040's. Predictions. (By the way, I'm not saying it's going to happen, it's who I think will get it:

2022 Winter Olympics:

Oslo, Norway.

2024 Summer Olympics:

Rome, Italy.

2026 Winter Olympics:

Denver, Usa.

2028 Summer Olympics:

Durban, South Africa.

2030 Winter Olympics:

Krakow, Poland.

2032 Summer Olympics:

Berlin, Germany.

2034 Winter Olympics:

Almaty, Kazakhstan.

2036 Summer Olympics:

Toronto, Canada.

2038 Winter Olympics:

Stockholm, Sweden.

2040 Summer Olympics:

Shanghai, China.

Correction: (Get it).

So you think the United States is going to throw in the towel after the 2024 vote and go for a Winter Olympics? And that the next Summer Olympics in North America will be in Canada?

It's possible that could happen. I think it's very ambitious to think Europe is going to get 4 out of the next 6 Olympics awarded though, particularly 2 of the next 3 on the Winter side given what's happening in this current race.

Predictions are easy:

2022: Krakow

2024: LA

2026-2030: Cancelled due to WW3

2032: Austarity games in London

2034: Cancelled due to War of the Worlds

2036: Rigel 7, hosted by Kang and Kodos

Accurate predictions are hard.

Don't blame me.. I voted for Kodos. I imagine if that's the case in 2036, soon after you'll see Lrrr and Ndnd start campaigning for a Games on Omicron Persei 8

Predictions are easy:

That's a fine-a** crystal ball you've got right there :lol:

Predictions are easy:

A very good prediction though! :D

So you know how we've talked sometimes about how if the television money from NBC ever dried up that the IOC would be begging to come back to the United States? Well we can officially throw that theory out the window for the next 2 decades..

IOC AWARDS OLYMPIC GAMES BROADCAST RIGHTS TO NBCUNIVERSAL THROUGH TO 2032

They sure do like our money, though. And that ain't no theory.

No way? How about LA gets 2024, and Africa/Europe sit out the 2028 bidding. We've got a chance at only Asia bids for 2022.... not crazy to think that could happen for 2028.

When hell freezes over.

As I noted in my post, as long the IOC has the US, Europe and Africa in line, I don't see China sneaking in. If by some miracle all of those lose interest, maybe China prevails. But those are VERY long odds.

Exactly. China is in a unique position that they have a 2nd very prominent alpha city to put forward. So it's a pretty safe bet where their next Summer Olympics is going to be held. Is 2028 too early for them to get it? Probably. But I not out of the realm of possible.

On the heels of Asian Olympics in 2018, 2020 and quite possibly 2022? That's reaching.

Is there really any evidence the IOC believes in rotations, though? We've have not had two hosts in the same continent in a row for the summer games since 1952, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any evidence they think any continent is "due" to get an Olympiad after a certain amount of time. They did after all award Tokyo the 2020 Olympics after Pyeongchang in 2018 and with only two cycles in between them and Beijing.

If Shanghai or Guangdong (Canton) have the best bid, isn't it possible they might win? We don't even know if there will be a bid from North America or Europe in 2028 for them to compete against.

EDIT: should be "We have not had two hosts"

They did after all award Tokyo the 2020 Olympics after Pyeongchang in 2018 and with only two cycles in between them and Beijing.

Coordinating / playing one Summer vs. one consecutive winter is really hard. There are no hard & fast rules for that. Remember that they used to award a Winter & Summer tandem to one country before? Well, now, it's maybe trying to create a balance between the 2, especially as more 'non-Winter' countries are trying to break into the WOGs. Funny that 'more-Winter' countries aren't trying to break into the Summer Games. ;)

The whole point of 'rotation' and perhaps it's even more imperative these days is that people from one region of the globe are not always disadvantaged in getting to one gathering over the other. Before the war, before jet travel...it was because the majority of the organizers and participants lived in the compact continent called Europe. The Americans, Asians and Oceania peoples always had the greatest distances to travel to get to the Euro meets. After the war, with jet travel being more commonplace, more countries joining, making the membership of the IOC more universal, then it only makes sense to do a rotational basis so that it all seems fair. So yes, in an ideal world and scenario, rotation would be followed. But the timing and factors aren't always right...so there are deviations.

Is there really any evidence the IOC believes in rotations, though? We've have not had two hosts in the same continent in a row for the summer games since 1952, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any evidence they think any continent is "due" to get an Olympiad after a certain amount of time. They did after all award Tokyo the 2020 Olympics after Pyeongchang in 2018 and with only two cycles in between them and Beijing.

If Shanghai or Guangdong (Canton) have the best bid, isn't it possible they might win? We don't even know if there will be a bid from North America or Europe in 2028 for them to compete against.

EDIT: should be "We have not had two hosts"

The fact that there has been no continent awarded consecutive summer games since 1952 is quite telling, though. Sure, Tokyo got 2020 twelve years after Beijing 2008 (& on the heels of winter games in PyeongChang 2018), but that's only bcuz circumstances presented themselves that way. Had Rome 2020 not pulled out &/or we had Paris in the running for 2020, I would've been willing to bet good money that Tokyo then wouldn't have gotten those Games.

The IOC looks like they try to at least include geography into the mix, IF they have the viable options to do so. So I'm with AF on this one. I can't see China hosting any Summer Games before 2032 (& especially if they get winter 2022, which is now starting to look quite probable), unless of course there are no feasible suitors for the IOC to chose from, hence 2022. But if there are, then they're in an uphill battle. Remember, the "best bids" hardly ever win anyway.

Not to mention when you think about, the IOC did also pick the continent that had gone the longest with their 2020 options. Asia - 2008/Europe 2012. So it still remains, the IOC tries to mix geography into it whenever possible.

I've said before, I don't believe China will get an Olympics (Most Probably Summer Olympics), until at least 2040. When you have Europe (Probably Italy, Germany and France) all wanting the Games, Africa (South Africa) and North America (Usa and Canada) considering Potential Future (Winning Contender) Bids, I can't see the IOC wanting to choose China yet. Out of Italy, Germany, France, South Africa, Usa, Canada and even Taiwan (Chinese Taipei), South Korea, India, Mexico and maybe Chile and Morocco all exploring Bids for the Future, I don't think the IOC will take the Olympics back to China anytime soon. Yes, many of those Countries I've said have little chance of Winning if the likes of Taiwan (Chinese Taipei), South Korea, India, Mexico, Chile and Morocco are up against Italy, Germany, France, South Africa, Usa and Canada, obviously Italy, Germany, France, South Africa, Usa and Canada would be the favourites against Taiwan (Chinese Taipei), South Korea, India, Mexico, Chile and Morocco. The fact is, out of Italy, Germany, France, South Africa, Usa and Canada, it's most likely at least one of them will Bid for a Summer Olympics each time. As much as I believe Norway is still the Favourite for 2022, I also believe China has more chance of Hosting 2022 then a Summer Olympics (2024, 2028, 2032, 2036). When you have:

Rome, Italy (Who have Hosted and Bid before and would have some Venues in place, along with Experience and Hosted some matches at the 1990 Fifa World Cup).

Berlin, Germany (Who have Hosted and Bid before and would also have some Venues in place, along with Experience and Hosted some matches at the 2006 Fifa World Cup).

Paris, France (Who have Bid before and would also have some Venues in place, along with Experience and Hosted some matches at the 1998 Fifa World Cup and will UEFA Euro 2016).

Durban, South Africa (Would bring the Olympic Movement to a New Continent and Hosted matches at the 2010 Fifa World Cup).

Los Angeles, Usa (Have Hosted before and have some Venues in place).

Toronto, Canada (Who will Host the 2015 Pan American Games and will have Venues in place).

Then you have:

Taipei, Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) (Who will Host the 2017 Summer Universiade and would be a New Destination for the Olympic Movement).

Busan, South Korea (Who Hosted the 2002 Asian Games and some matches at the 2002 Fifa World Cup, but would also have less chance because of PyeongChang 2018).

Delhi, India (Hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games, but the Build-Up was controversial, but would have some Venues in place).

Guadalajara, Mexico (Hosted the 2011 Pan American Games and would have some Venues in place).

Santiago, Chile (Have some Venues in Place, but would probably need to Host a Pan American Games first).

Casablanca, Morocco (Building/Will Build a New 'Olympic Stadium' and would take the Olympics to a New Continent).

So looking at that list, makes the chances of an Olympics in China low for a while.

Archived