USA 2024

Athensfan

USA last time hosted SOG was in 1996, France in 1924

USA last time hosted WOG was in 2002, France in 1992

LA last time hosted olympics was in 1984, Paris in 1924

So with no doubt it is Paris turn to host Olympics. Bye bye LA :D

In 2012, Paris against London.. Paris had last hosted in 1924, London last in 1948. London won on their first try, Paris lost on their 3rd.

There are no "turns" when it come to hosting the Olympics. The most appealing host in a given cycle, according to whatever geo-political and technical criteria the IOC voters go on, will win the vote.

Hello NBC Tape Delays

Hello high enough ratings that justify those tape delays

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA last time hosted SOG was in 1996, France in 1924

USA last time hosted WOG was in 2002, France in 1992

LA last time hosted olympics was in 1984, Paris in 1924

So with no doubt it is Paris turn to host Olympics. Bye bye LA :D

Also, I'm pretty sure winning bids are not solely based on time

Of the 15 members of the USOC board of directors, at least 5 have strong ties to LA, including two of the most influential, IOC members DeFrantz and Easton, both residents. At least 8 have strong ties to California, including chairman and IOC member Probst.

This is significant. I've been thinking the same thing.

Dallas’ bid for 2024 Summer Olympics faces June hurdle

The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to decide by next month whether Dallas is still a contender for the 2024 Summer Games or whether its grand ambitions are shelved again.

Dallas is one of an estimated seven cities angling to be the U.S. bid city for 2024. USOC officials plan to reduce that group to two or three by the end of June. Those finalists would receive closer scrutiny for the remainder of 2014 before any decision about whether to pursue the next available Summer Olympics.

Matt Wood, who is leading the local effort and worked on Dallas’ 2012 bid, said a steady stream of major events, including the Super Bowl, the Final Four and a possible 2016 GOP convention, has strengthened the region’s reputation.

“Those successes make us an attractive option,” he said. “I feel good about being in the conversation.”

USOC executive director Scott Blackmun said last month that the organization plans to decide later this year or early next year whether to bid for the 2024 Games.

The U.S. did not bid for the 2020 Games because it was in a dispute with the International Olympic Committee over finances. That issue has been settled, making a 2024 bid more likely.

“We do think it’s time for the Games to come back to the United States,” Blackmun said in a media conference call.

Larry Probst, USOC board chairman, said he had received encouragement from multiple members of the IOC.

The other cities believed to still be in contention are Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. The USOC hasn’t confirmed which cities are still hopefuls and isn’t planning to publicize which ones make the June cut.

Greg Staley, a spokesman for the U.S. Travel Association, said he couldn’t think of anything else comparable to the Olympics or what it can do for a city’s reputation.

“It’s a very significant moment for Dallas and for all the other cities that are shortlisted to advance,” he said. “It sends a very clear signal that it’s a destination that’s capable of and prepared to welcome the world. … The Olympics would create a lasting impression for generations.”

The full bid has not been released to the public, but Wood has provided some details about what the Olympic Games would look like in the Dallas area.

In the proposal, an Olympic Village would be created near Fair Park and house about 15,000. Those units would be sold to the public afterward.

A renovated Cotton Bowl would probably host track and field events. Sports that require less seating — such as pingpong and badminton — could be played at some existing Fair Park buildings, given renovations.

American Airlines Center, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, the Trinity River corridor, Toyota Stadium in Frisco and existing and proposed facilities at Southern Methodist University would all be major event sites.

Wood said he would expect AT&T Stadium to be used for some of the largest-attended events. That would include gymnastics and the medal rounds of high-profile sports, such as basketball and boxing.

The USOC would ultimately analyze all facilities and decide how they would be used.

Wood declined to talk about possibilities for the opening or closing ceremonies.

The local effort has operated mostly out of the spotlight, with about 50 active volunteers helping with planning.

Wood said the committee is taking the USOC’s lead in its low-key approach.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, who has periodically been briefed by Wood on the effort, took the same approach.

“It is premature to discuss the potential role of Dallas in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics until the USOC makes a final decision about submitting a bid,” Rawlings said in a written statement.

Wood estimates that if the city is chosen as a finalist, the Dallas 2024 Committee would need to raise a couple of million dollars through private donations.

“We’ll have a conversation with them [uSOC] about how much information they’ll need,” he said.

The money would probably go toward an economic study and further work on determining the cost of turning some venues — such as the Cotton Bowl — into Olympic facilities.

Dallas-based HKS Architects has already volunteered its service to help create the committee’s preliminary plans.

The cost would escalate to between $50 million and $75 million if Dallas were submitted as the U.S. bid city.

The expenses for staging and operating the Summer Olympics would be more than 200 times larger. Wood said the $17 billion cost of the 2012 London Summer Games would be a fair comparison.

The local bid committee wouldn’t start trying to generate broad public support or launch major fundraising unless it was chosen as the USOC’s bid city.

“We don’t want to get the public’s hopes up when it’s still just a possibility,” Wood said.

TIMELINE: Olympic bid process

June 2014 — The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to decide on two or three finalist cities.

Late 2014 or early 2015 — The USOC is expected to decide whether to bid on the 2024 Summer Games, and if so, decide on a city.

Summer or fall 2015 — Bids are due to the International Olympic Committee.

2017 — The IOC decides on the 2024 Summer Games host city.

Source: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140503-dallas-bid-for-2024-olympic-summer-games-faces-june-hurdle.ece

Of course but there own research shows people want to watch it again when it is lived streamed. Tape Delays Honestly ruined London 2012 for me I hated it. I know you defend NBC and I enjoy their coverage but 2012 was messed up

Of course but there own research shows people want to watch it again when it is lived streamed. Tape Delays Honestly ruined London 2012 for me I hated it. I know you defend NBC and I enjoy their coverage but 2012 was messed up

Right, so.. what's the problem then? NBC live streamed every last second of competition (not without problems I know) and offered more TV hours than we've ever had for an Olympics before. Not NBC's fault that London is 5 hours ahead of the East Coast of the U.S. and the times for events aren't all that convenient. That's the nature of the Olympics. Nothing you can do about it but make the best of the experience.

Hello NBC Tape Delays

And do you really think another network would do it ANOTHER way and still stay in business?? If NBC has been carrying the Olympics for like 2 decades now and the IOC seems happy with them, then they must be doing something right -- regardless of all the constant bitchers who will bitch regardless of who's carrying the Games. At some point around the globe, people are going to get it tape-delayed.

I don't have a problem I said I always Enjoy it and I never bitch I hate those people All I'm saying is if your going to Tape Delay which I have NO problem with at least Tell all NBC properties to Not mention it at all until it's aired. During 2012 on NBC Nightly News they would show spoilers and sometimes I missed closing my eyes and got the result. With Sochi when I came home all over everyone they spoiled it with the excuse I should watch it online or on NBCSN at 3 in the morning. Most of primetime was stuff I'd already seen or heard of results anyway I usually recorded most of it. They did a poll in 2012 did you like the coverage most people including me said YES (Ok disclaimer I missed the last week of the olympics as I was on a cruise Have never seen the Closing Ceremony that another reason why it was not special for me) but the also said there should be a CH where you can put ALL events live and then reshow them later I don't want to watch it on my computer I want to watch it in HD on my TV. In conclusion no one has a problem with tape delays the problem is how they handle it most of NBC's model is good

This is significant. I've been thinking the same thing.

Still did not help them for 2016, This was Daley's biggest worry. Alas only two LA centrists have votes in the USOC.

I don't have a problem I said I always Enjoy it and I never bitch I hate those people All I'm saying is if your going to Tape Delay which I have NO problem with at least Tell all NBC properties to Not mention it at all until it's aired. During 2012 on NBC Nightly News they would show spoilers and sometimes I missed closing my eyes and got the result. With Sochi when I came home all over everyone they spoiled it with the excuse I should watch it online or on NBCSN at 3 in the morning. Most of primetime was stuff I'd already seen or heard of results anyway I usually recorded most of it. They did a poll in 2012 did you like the coverage most people including me said YES (Ok disclaimer I missed the last week of the olympics as I was on a cruise Have never seen the Closing Ceremony that another reason why it was not special for me) but the also said there should be a CH where you can put ALL events live and then reshow them later I don't want to watch it on my computer I want to watch it in HD on my TV. In conclusion no one has a problem with tape delays the problem is how they handle it most of NBC's model is good

FFS, just calm down about this, If you want live streaming NBC has that online (or hundreds of other sites).

In 2012, Paris against London.. Paris had last hosted in 1924, London last in 1948. London won on their first try, Paris lost on their 3rd.

There are no "turns" when it come to hosting the Olympics. The most appealing host in a given cycle, according to whatever geo-political and technical criteria the IOC voters go on, will win the vote.

Difference is London 1948 was 64 years before London 2012. Los Angeles 2024 will be 22 years after Salt Lake City 2002. Big Difference.

Difference is London 1948 was 64 years before London 2012. Los Angeles 2024 will be 22 years after Salt Lake City 2002. Big Difference.

But really we are talking about North America an place where they have only 2 countries that can host to the Olympics Games Canada and the USA today Mexico could not really host an Olympics like they did in 1968 so they will host more often then European countries who has many countries to compete in Geopolitics to get the games, If Lima Peru does an great job on the Pan American Games in 2019 then they could be hosting the next Latin American Olympics and Paralympics Games,

While I agree with the gist of your post, I still don't think, however, that a Paris & LA rivalry would facor in the same way. By 2024, Paris would've last hosted 100 years ago, & LA only 40. That's quite a significant difference. Then factor in the European geopolitics, then Paris starts tilting the scale significantly. London vs Paris for 2012 was more of a balanced rivalry.

You're comparing apples & oranges here. Salt Lake City was a WINTER games, not a Summer Olympics. That's like saying Albertville 1992 handicapped Paris 2012 when it wasn't even a factor in the race at all, since the French capital was viewed as a favorite for those Games.

While I agree with the gist of your post, I still don't think, however, that a Paris & LA rivalry would facor in the same way. By 2024, Paris would've last hosted 100 years ago, & LA only 40. That's quite a significant difference. Then factor in the European geopolitics, then Paris starts tilting the scale significantly. London vs Paris for 2012 was more of a balanced rivalry.

But many European voters my go to Berlin Germany to take down Paris France for an showdown in the final round of Los Angeles USA Vs Berlin Germany.

You're comparing apples & oranges here. Salt Lake City was a WINTER games, not a Summer Olympics. That's like saying Albertville 1992 handicapped Paris 2012 when it wasn't even a factor in the race at all, since the French capital was viewed as a favorite for those Games.

Ok. London 1948 - London 2012 = 64 Years. Atlanta 1996 - Los Angeles 2024 = 28 Years. Big Difference.

Ok. London 1948 - London 2012 = 64 Years. Atlanta 1996 - Los Angeles 2024 = 28 Years. Big Difference.

And America vs GBR is also a big difference. I at least get the impression the IOC will be more receptive to a US bid for 2024 than they were for 2012 (which was too soon) or 2016. A gap of 28 years between US Games is not a gap most would consider too short given the nation's Olympic clout, its contribution to the IOC, or its size.

By 2024 it will have been 12 years since Europe hosted the games and 28 years for North America that is the bigger difference in Geopolitics also Japan is hosting 2020 which means by the flow has North America turn and write all over after they go to Japan the IOC always like to go to North America, Europe will wait to host the games again in 2028 with either Rome Italy, Moscow Russia or Berlin Germany if Paris France lose the 2024 race that will be the end of them for another Generation of 2 to host the games.

In that case:

Atlanta: N/A

Athens: 1906 - 1996 = 90 years

Toronto: N/A

Melbourne: 1956 - 1996 = 40 years

Manchester: N/A

Belgrade: N/A

Even with a 90 year gap, Athens still lost to a newcomer like Atlanta. I know geopolitics and a bunch of other factors also do affect it, but you make it sound like the whole thing is primarily based on just the timing.

I personally don't believe Los Angeles stands a chance against Rome, Paris, Berlin and Durban. Just my opinion.

Los Angeles saved the Olympics Movement 2 times in 1932 and 1984 and the IOC is having an bad time now I think they will pick Los Angeles to host the 2024 games to Restore faith in the Olympics Movement they are hosting the next years 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games too.

Look who made the original post that I was replying to, speaking of those who don't quite have a point.

And America vs GBR is also a big difference. I at least get the impression the IOC will be more receptive to a US bid for 2024 than they were for 2012 (which was too soon) or 2016. A gap of 28 years between US Games is not a gap most would consider too short given the nation's Olympic clout, its contribution to the IOC, or its size.

Agreed. In 2012, had 3 of the world's premiere cities including the most prominent 2 in Europe to choose from. And New York simply didn't have the goods. Now that we're looking at a longer gap on from North America, maybe it's time to return there, especially if Europe doesn't offer up any of the heavyweights. An LA win (assuming that's the US candidate) is far from improbable. From the outset, I'd say they probably have a better shot than Atlanta `96 was supposed to have had when from the start they were considered a longshot.

By 2024 it will have been 12 years since Europe hosted the games and 28 years for North America that is the bigger difference in Geopolitics also Japan is hosting 2020 which means by the flow has North America turn and write all over after they go to Japan the IOC always like to go to North America, Europe will wait to host the games again in 2028 with either Rome Italy, Moscow Russia or Berlin Germany if Paris France lose the 2024 race that will be the end of them for another Generation of 2 to host the games.

GCL.. on your keyboard, there should be a button with a small dot on it. It's called a period. Should be right next to the comma. It's used to separate sentences and make your writing easier to read. It would be a big help for you to learn to use this small dot known as a period for the benefit of the rest of us.

Spotted the following quote in woohoo's article about Dallas:

"The USOC hasnt confirmed which cities are still hopefuls and isnt planning to publicize which ones make the June cut."

Disappointing. Looks like we'll be in the dark for quite a while longer if that's true.

Still did not help them for 2016, This was Daley's biggest worry. Alas only two LA centrists have votes in the USOC.

There are multiple reasons for this:

1.) LA's 2016 plan was nowhere near as good as the 2024 plan.

2.) 2016 was too soon for the US to host again and DEFINITELY too soon for LA. These 8 years have made a difference.

3.) Chicago was the opposition in 2016. The USOC picked the right candidate for that race.

This race is different and the Olympic landscape is different. Unless another city has a really fabulous bid proposal, I can definitely see LA rising to the top, partly thanks to the California ties of the board members -- some of whose names were printed on that preliminary document.

If the USOC bids, it will be because they are genuinely excited about the bid city and their chances. I don't think they'll glumly offer up a candidate they don't believe in.

FFS, just calm down about this, If you want live streaming NBC has that online (or hundreds of other sites).

The tape delay comment was a joke I really don't care but they take any NBC diss very seriously. Remember it as a joke and let's move on

Spotted the following quote in woohoo's article about Dallas:

"The USOC hasnt confirmed which cities are still hopefuls and isnt planning to publicize which ones make the June cut."

Disappointing. Looks like we'll be in the dark for quite a while longer if that's true.

I hadn't seen that. I hope they make it clear to those cities that don't make the cut that they're out of the running. Certainly something that can be done privately and quietly, but if it's something they're not publicizing, they need to make sure everyone involved gets the message.

I hadn't seen that. I hope they make it clear to those cities that don't make the cut that they're out of the running. Certainly something that can be done privately and quietly, but if it's something they're not publicizing, they need to make sure everyone involved gets the message.

I don't think that's even a question. Anyone with a modicum of professionalism would notify the cities that are no longer being considered.

Archived