USA 2024

Athensfan

I have trouble seeing that myself, but it's not impossible. Granted, I'd probably put my money on Durban preventing that from happening than a North American entry, but still.. maybe it will be those 3 European heavyweights. But if you're basing your "2024 is coming back to Europe" on the assumption those 3 cities will all be bidding, you're really putting the cart before the horse to throw those cities out there to more easily make a case for Europe 2024.

If Germany puts forward Hamburg, I can't see Hamburg winning. If Hamburg is put forward as an Applicant City, I personally feel it will be Rome VS Paris. Berlin would be Germany's strongest Candidate for the SUMMER Olympics. Durban will be a very strong Candidate for 2028 and I will definitley be supporting a Durban 2028 Summer Olympics, but seeing as though the Summer Olympic Games has been outside of Europe twice in a row already, I am supporting Rome 2024. You see, the one thing I agree about with Fifa, is the rotation policy. For example, Russia and Qatar has the 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cups, so Europe can't Host until at least 2030 and Asia until at least 2034. I think it should be the Host Continent before shouldn't be aloud to Bid for the next edition. Like I said many times in the past, Summer Hosting shouldn't affect Winter Hosting. So PyeongChang 2018 is going to be in Asia, so Asia shouldn't be aloud to Bid for 2022, but I agreed with Asia being aloud to Bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, but Asia shouldn't be aloud to Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics. Likewise, as I feel the 2024 Summer Olympics should come back to Europe, Europe shouldn't be aloud to Bid for 2028. That's just my belief on the matter anyway.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Germany puts forward Hamburg, I can't see Hamburg winning. If Hamburg is put forward as an Applicant City, I personally feel it will be Rome VS Paris. Berlin would be Germany's strongest Candidate for the SUMMER Olympics. Durban will be a very strong Candidate for 2028 and I will definitley be supporting a Durban 2028 Summer Olympics, but seeing as though the Summer Olympic Games has been outside of Europe twice in a row already, I am supporting Rome 2024. You see, the one thing I agree about with Fifa, is the rotation policy. For example, Russia and Qatar has the 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cups, so Europe can't Host until at least 2030 and Asia until at least 2034. I think it should be the Host Continent before shouldn't be aloud to Bid for the next edition. Like I said many times in the past, Summer Hosting shouldn't affect Winter Hosting. So PyeongChang 2018 is going to be in Asia, so Asia shouldn't be aloud to Bid for 2022, but I agreed with Asia being aloud to Bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics, but Asia shouldn't be aloud to Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics. Likewise, as I feel the 2024 Summer Olympics should come back to Europe, Europe shouldn't be aloud to Bid for 2028. That's just my belief on the matter anyway.

Seriously? Tony, I'm not doing this to be a dick, I just happen to be the type of person that thinks proper spelling and grammar is lost on today's youth and that's a unfortunate. It's "shouldn't be ALLOWED" not aloud. I really hope for your own sake you're more careful about your use of the English language in school than you are here. Anyways..

The IOC doesn't really have the same rotation policy that FIFA does. That's fine because the IOC is not as well organized into confederations as FIFA is. Yes, the Euro-centric IOC may favor an Olympics in Europe for 2024. But again, that's predicated on having a compelling candidate to award them to. Durban may or may not be in the mix there. Perhaps a United States entry in there. The argument of "should" doesn't always apply. It's all based on who the competitors are. That applies to any Olympic bid.

I believe somewhat in the theory that the continent of the previous Olympics probably shouldn't host the following Olympics. Should the IOC make them ineligible? Might not be the worst idea, but considering how they've been struggling in recent years to have a large field of candidate bids, it probably isn't the smartest idea to cut anyone off and eliminate options.

I'm pretty sure 2024 is coming back to Europe. I can't see there being 3 Non-European Summer Olympic Games in a row (Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020 and 2024)? I believe 2024 is Rome VS Paris VS Berlin.

Tony, I'll bet you one billion dollars (assuming you have that much) that at least one of Rome/Paris/Berlin won't bid for 2024. How confident are you in your oft-repeated belief?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 45/45/10 that 0/1/2 of those will bid.

To me, the fact that there is this little clarity tells a story. This indecisiveness from the USOC seems to be born out of the fact that there isn't a compelling candidate out there and that the end result is that their best option is Los Angeles. And if that's their best option, is that who they want to put forward. It's natural for us to want to hear more from a Dallas or a Boston or a San Diego just so it gives us something to talk about. It still surprises me a little at this point in the game that the USOC isn't able to trim the list further or at least find a way to trim the fat from this list and figure out if there's a city or 2 on that list they know they don't want to work with.

Well, there really isn't any rush. There's no reason why the USOC has to make a choice immediately. And to be honest, I don't see them as being indecisive. They are following the timetable they always said they would follow. I think it would be different if they had promised to select a candidate by now and were still dragging their heels. That would look like indecision. This just feels like thoughtful prudence.

Since they are bypassing an expensive domestic bid campaign, perhaps instead they're investing time in really getting to know the bid leaders and talking through possible options (which would make sense).

They're taking their time, doing their due diligence and they won't make a decision until they need to. I'm not going to fault them for that.

America should just sit out of the 2024 race IMO. 2024 is coming back to Europe.

Tony you have spammed almost every thread with that sentence, I know your trying to change and fit in, but we do not need to be reminded of your stance (regarding 2024) every two pages.

In sum....

qELcscW.jpg

Actually, we do, though. It should go without saying, but the discussions go hand-in-hand with what the USOC actually has availiable to them. So ATM, they have seven cities that they're "talking to"; San Fran, L.A., San Diego, Dallas, DC, Boston & Philadelphia. Out of those, the USOC says that they'd like to "trim" that list to "two or three" by the end of next month.

Now, just quickly glossing over that list, it's clear that San Francisco would make the most "compelling" candidate outta that list. But when we start to look a lot closer & look at all the other crucial variables & technical merits, then that pretty much puts them, & a few others on that list, into great question.

So with that, in a couple of months, after the USOC trims the fat, we're gonna be talking about L.A., Dallas & either Boston or Philadelphia. So outta those left, which one is most compelling. And would it be compelling enough. And if in the end it still isn't, then the USOC needs to decide if they still wanna be in the 2024 mix or not.

usco will definitely go for LA. but for the actual olympic bid, we can't be sure until we know the contenders

Then you would know that the picture is used in hundreds of memes.

Maybe those memes don't extend outside North America or something.

Again Tony, if you're going to give us this rambling comment with the same stupid spelling mistake made 4 times over, don't take it so personally if a couple of people poke a little fun at you. Welcome to the Internet. You know you're bringing this on yourself somewhat.

Maybe those memes don't extend outside North America or something.

Again Tony, if you're going to give us this rambling comment with the same stupid spelling mistake made 4 times over, don't take it so personally if a couple of people poke a little fun at you. Welcome to the Internet. You know you're bringing this on yourself somewhat.

But it was posted by an Australian.

• 2 weeks later...

Decision on U.S. bid for 2024 Olympics drawing closer

NEW YORK — The CEO of the U.S. Olympic Committee says the decision on which U.S. city will bid for the 2024 Olympics will be down to two to three potential hosts by June.

Scott Blackmun, speaking to a group of Associated Press Sports Editors on Friday, said that the process — which has included informal talks with dozens of cities — will be down to no more than three by a USOC board meeting in June. The USOC must pick one bid by the end of the year.

Unlike previous U.S. bid processes, this one has been handled mostly privately by USOC officials talking with politicians and business leaders. The USOC does not plan to announce how the list of cities has been whittled down.

Bids from New York and Chicago failed in recent years.

“I don’t think the previous two domestic bid processes worked effectively,” Blackmun said. “We made enemies. … We don’t want to have losers in the process.”

Blackmun said the private process would be less expensive, pointing out that some cities had spent up to $10 million to win the right to bid. He said the new process would hold costs below $1 million for most cities.

AP

Decision on U.S. bid for 2024 Olympics drawing closer

NEW YORK — The CEO of the U.S. Olympic Committee says the decision on which U.S. city will bid for the 2024 Olympics will be down to two to three potential hosts by June.

Scott Blackmun, speaking to a group of Associated Press Sports Editors on Friday, said that the process — which has included informal talks with dozens of cities — will be down to no more than three by a USOC board meeting in June. The USOC must pick one bid by the end of the year.

Unlike previous U.S. bid processes, this one has been handled mostly privately by USOC officials talking with politicians and business leaders. The USOC does not plan to announce how the list of cities has been whittled down.

Bids from New York and Chicago failed in recent years.

“I don’t think the previous two domestic bid processes worked effectively,” Blackmun said. “We made enemies. … We don’t want to have losers in the process.”

Blackmun said the private process would be less expensive, pointing out that some cities had spent up to $10 million to win the right to bid. He said the new process would hold costs below $1 million for most cities.

AP

Interesting timing. Wonder if this announcement is tied at all to Los Angeles releasing their grand plan. It seems all but a guarantee they'll move on to the next part of the process. Who is there with them remains to be seen.

From the looks of that SCCOG brochure, LA's put in at least $2.5 million's worth of sweat alone into that.

You know what's amazing though.. probably cost a lot less than that, but still looks like they spent that much money on it. Either way, looks like they have their plan in place. Gonna be hard for another US city to top that.

You know what's amazing though.. probably cost a lot less than that, but still looks like they spent that much money on it. Either way, looks like they have their plan in place. Gonna be hard for another US city to top that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Dallas could give them a run for their money, especially with the more centrally focused venue plan. LA is amazing, but still has to cope with the spread between venues.

I have to disagree with you on that because if you think about world class cities such as Paris and Rome, Dallas just doesn't compare.

I'm not talking about legacy and it's clearly stated in my comment. I said that venue rise Dallas will rival LA, Dallas is expected to use Fair Park as their main Olympic venue. This park can hold the following:

• Olympic Stadium
  • Aquatics Center
  • Velodrome
  • Basketball
  • Volleyball
  • Various Temporary venues
  • IBC/MPC
  • Possibly Athletes Village

That's more than any other 'park' in LA's plan and Fair Park is in the heart of the city, and while Dallas may not have the international reputation it has the money to build and bid. Dallas, venue wise, will challenge LA.

Also I must ask you to please learn a bit more about each city and their athletic infrastructure. It's one thing to have a reputation (NYC), but if you can not create a strong and compact venue plan along with securing funds you can not win. After the transportation disaster that was Atlanta the US will have to create a compact venue plan for what ever city they pick.

I also believe that L.A. and Dallas are likely to be the USOC's top two. Both of them have some major drawbacks, though.

Los Angeles:

-has done this before

-has a great plan

-seems to have a lot of enthusiasm

-but is very spread out and transit dependent

-and will the IOC want to visit LA a third time, especially with '84 being *relatively* recent?

Dallas:

-will likely be a very compact bid, probably the most compact one the US can offer right now

-the IOC has strongly favored compact bids in recent years

-but Dallas seems to bring to mind Atlanta. Can it transcend this 'regional city' reputation to the USOC and IOC?

Honestly, I kind of wish the USOC would opt not to bid. With the way this is going on and on and on, I wonder if they'll still be able to exercise enough judgment to sit it out if that's what best.

Archived