USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is the wrong thread, but I know it's been talked about here. But why isn't a Sacramento-Lake Tahoe bid feasible for a Winter Games? People don't seem to like the Reno-Lake Tahoe thing.

If you'd been around these boards for the past couple of years, you'd know the answer to that one.

Right, so why isn't Sacramento-Lake Tahoe feasible?

Well, the distance for one.. Sacramento isn't exactly right next door to Tahoe and even if it was, Sacramento is hardly a sports mecca filled with available venues and other usable space.

The bid coalition there is a combined effort between the states of Nevada and California. Thus far, they have their sights set on Reno as the city venue because it's a lot closer to Tahoe. There's been talk of including Sacramento in that, but that spreads them out over a much wider stretch and could be a problem. The consensus here has long been that Tahoe is a suitable location for the mountain venues an Olympics requires, but Reno and Sacramento are seriously lacking on the city side of things and that makes it tough for them to put together an attractive bid.

Well, the distance for one.. Sacramento isn't exactly right next door to Tahoe and even if it was, Sacramento is hardly a sports mecca filled with available venues and other usable space.

The bid coalition there is a combined effort between the states of Nevada and California. Thus far, they have their sights set on Reno as the city venue because it's a lot closer to Tahoe. There's been talk of including Sacramento in that, but that spreads them out over a much wider stretch and could be a problem. The consensus here has long been that Tahoe is a suitable location for the mountain venues an Olympics requires, but Reno and Sacramento are seriously lacking on the city side of things and that makes it tough for them to put together an attractive bid.

Could Tahoe just do the whole thing?

Tahoe doesn't have many sporting venues. The best US choice for 2026 would be Denver

Strongly disagree, while Denver and furthermore Colorado are huge Winter Sports Meccas in the US Salt Lake City is the best choice. They have the venues and infrastructure and a projected budget that is very small.

Strongly disagree, while Denver and furthermore Colorado are huge Winter Sports Meccas in the US Salt Lake City is the best choice. They have the venues and infrastructure and a projected budget that is very small.

SLC would be my second choice but Denver hasn't host the games and the last time SLC hosted there was that whole scandle.

SLC would be my second choice but Denver hasn't host the games and the last time SLC hosted there was that whole scandle.

And the last time Denver hosted they gave the games back. Look the IOC wants back to basics games and SLC or Vancouver are the North American cities that could accomplish that.

And the last time Denver hosted they gave the games back. Look the IOC wants back to basics games and SLC or Vancouver are the North American cities that could accomplish that.

Ummm, yeah. The IOC wants "back to basics" for 2022, particularly Oslo (which last hosted way back in 1952), particularly with the competition it faces. But that doesn't mean that they'll make it some sort of rule or that it then suddenly favors places like Salt Lake & Vancouver which both just hosted not that long ago.

If Canada were to go for another winter games, they'll surely go with Calgary (which still would be a logical choice) before Vancouver again so soon. And while Denver would have some work to do, particularly the transportation issue to the mountains, for the city/ice venues, they have it virtually covered. But yeah, they do have that Achilles heel of throwing the Games back in the IOC's face after they won them. Which then really means, that there never was "the last time they hosted".

-

VANCOUVER?

Idiotic.

I'm not saying they bid, I was using it as an example of a North American Winter city that has modern venues that could be used if the city were to bid/host again.

Ummm, yeah. The IOC wants "back to basics" for 2022, particularly Oslo (which last hosted way back in 1952), particularly with the competition it faces. But that doesn't mean that they'll make it some sort of rule or that it then suddenly favors places like Salt Lake & Vancouver which both just hosted not that long ago.

If Canada were to go for another winter games, they'll surely go with Calgary (which still would be a logical choice) before Vancouver again so soon. And while Denver would have some work to do, particularly the transportation issue to the mountains, for the city/ice venues, they have it virtually covered. But yeah, they do have that Achilles heel of throwing the Games back in the IOC's face after they won them. Which then really means, that there never was "the last time they hosted".

-

I agree, I would like to see Calgary host again; in fact is it wrong for me to want the US to host the summer games and Canada the winter games? It just seems like that's how the pieces always fall...Although still hopping for a Toronto 2032 bid!

Could Tahoe just do the whole thing?

No. Resorts and little communities like Squaw Valley, South T, etc., dot Tahoe. It does not have the urban mass that Reno (pop: est. 400,000) has, to provide the nucleus for the ice events, the village, the concentrated accommodations for visitors, press and thousands of folks who will work the Games.

Name one thing that other cities in the USA have. That Detroit doesn’t have.

1 Crime

2. Corruption

3. Roads falling a part

It would force the federal government to invest it would be great for Detroit

Detroit 2024

1. thriving economies

2. i don't feel like paying to bail out detroit......no offense.

Archived