USA 2024

Athensfan

Not sure I understand the question. From what I've heard from the SD Exploratory Committee, they feel the total cost of the events would be < $10 billion, well worth San Diego's while when it comes to the return on investment.

How is San Diego going to make 10 billion dollars back from hosting the games? And if the initial projection is 10 billion it will probably cost about 25 billion based on past history.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think that USOC will hold their cards for 2032, or will impatience get the better of them & they'll start focusing on Denver/Reno/SLC/Lake Placid 2026 instead, to get their hosting quicker, bearing in mind that the winter games are more popular than the summer games in the US, & 2026 marks the 250th anniversary of independence?

Does anyone think that USOC will hold their cards for 2032, or will impatience get the better of them & they'll start focusing on Denver/Reno/SLC/Lake Placid 2026 instead, to get their hosting quicker, bearing in mind that the winter games are more popular than the summer games in the US, & 2026 marks the 250th anniversary of independence?

What? Nooooo . . . .

LA's stadiums are on par with Qualcomm Stadium. And as of today, the plan is to put to vote a 70,000 seat stadium downtown, which would be funded with help from the NFL, Chargers, and the selling of the mission valley and sports arena sites.

So far, Los Angeles has a better airport and more people, and we haven't heard a peep from them on the bid. Today, the Port of SD voted to fully back the 2024 bid as well as the 2017 America's Cup bid. With stability in the form of a new mayor, San Diego can finally focus on those infrastructure improvement that makes us a serious contender.

All I'm doing is defending San Diego as a viable city that deserves a look from the USOC.

Fine, they'll get a look. But that look will almost certainly result in the conclusion that LA is a better choice than San Diego. I understand you defending your city, but if you didn't have such a bias towards San Diego, you'd realize they are miles behind LA on this one.

I'm not sure if you are from LA, but tell me, what draws people in to LA over San Diego. We are far more than just a beach.

I know that they have expressed interest, but is that all? Have they had talks with the USOC. I don't know, and I can't seem to find much on their bid other than the fact that local officials are all for it.

I'm not doubting that LA is a finalist, nor that it is the USOC front runner at this point. But I am doubting that there is great buzz around the bid. I haven't heard much noise about it.

It makes perfect sense for the USOC to be talking with them. But I haven't heard any public statements, articles, reports or updates on the bid. In San Diego, we've heard a lot about the bid, and while SD doesn't make the national news, I don't think San Diegans are shrugging off the idea, despite being more or less unenthusiastic about the SD-TJ joint bid.

Los Angeles is perpetually interested in the Olympics. They essentially have a built-in organizing committee. Asking Los Angeles if they're interested in the Olympics is like asking a kid if he's interested in ice cream. It would only have made headlines if Los Angeles announced they WEREN'T interested in the Olympics.

The thing here is that you have to understand the size and scope of the Olympics. We get that San Diego is more than some people give them credit for. But we're not talking which city is the bigger draw. We're talking about which city is better prepared to handle the influx of literally hundreds of thousands of people, most coming from overseas, and the ability to house them, feed them, and entertain them, in addition to having enough venues to host more than two dozen Olympic sports.

Just because San Diego has made more headlines recently doesn't make they're better prepared to make a bid than LA. Again, kudos to San DIego for having the drive to think they can succeed, but they're not going to be able to compete in a contest that includes LA.

They will not hold their cards. They're gonna bid whether it be with LA, DC, Boston, or Dallas and lose. The right thing would be to wait, but that's not going to happen. Is Lake Placid even feasible?

I'm sure I saw that winter games almost always get higher viewing figures in the US than summer games. Might've been on Wikipedia though :unsure:

Higher primetime ratings maybe, but overall popularity is lower than the Summer Olympics.

They will not hold their cards. They're gonna bid whether it be with LA, DC, Boston, or Dallas and lose. The right thing would be to wait, but that's not going to happen. Is Lake Placid even feasible?

I don't know.. I get a sense of anxiety from them that the want to bid but don't think it will necessarily be the smart play. Which is good, they should hold some restraint here.

And no, Lake Placid is not feasible, no matter how many times Lord David tells us that the local high school is an acceptable venue as the Main Press Center.

It's all moot anyway. I just wonder when the USOC will tell the handful of dreamers to pack it in for now.

Which is ironic in itself, since the USOC is always saying every time there's a news piece about it, that they "want to keep cost down" this time around, & don't want the cities to be spending loads amount of money like they did in the past. Yet they're letting some of these cities now spend on "exploratory committee's" when the USOC at least knows who they're not gonna go with. Is that money worth "just a look". I don't think so. Seems disingenuous, to say the least.

I don't know.. I get a sense of anxiety from them that the want to bid but don't think it will necessarily be the smart play. Which is good, they should hold some restraint here.

And no, Lake Placid is not feasible, no matter how many times Lord David tells us that the local high school is an acceptable venue as the Main Press Center.

I don't understand your last part in the first part. What's good?

That's upsetting! Talk about a classic...

Fine, they'll get a look. But that look will almost certainly result in the conclusion that LA is a better choice than San Diego. I understand you defending your city, but if you didn't have such a bias towards San Diego, you'd realize they are miles behind LA on this one.

Yeah, I've seen it so many times throughout the years here, very enthusiastic & very bias supporters, from the likes of Minneapolis, Houston, Tampa, Leipzig, etc, & now here, touting how great & wonderful their city is for the Olympics & how everyone will see that. Well, needless to say, none of those cities ever got to the "serious" consideration table.

First of all, if the US hosts another Winter Olympics before another Summer Olympics, blah.

Secondly, Africa is not the last continent needing to host an Olympics. Antarctica needs to host one. I think a Winter Olympics at the South Pole would be incredible.

Do you have ANY clue about the living conditions in Antarctica? Can you name a city there where all those venues are built and can be sustainable? Either you're joking or you're completely clueless.

Do you have ANY clue about the living conditions in Antarctica? Can you name a city there where all those venues are built and can be sustainable? Either you're joking or you're completely clueless.

He's just CLUELESS. He said the same idiotic nonsense yesterday in the South Africa newswire thread. He has no clue whatsoever that Africa is home to over one Billion people of different backgrounds & cultures, & sends many athletes to the Summer Olympics. So unless penguins & polar bears compete at the Olympics, there's a very good reason why there's no "rush" to go to Antartica for a Games.

This is the same loon that advocates pyrotechnics for the medals podium & trumpets places for the Games like Louisville, KY & Columbus, OH. So take it for what it is, nonsense.

Archived