USA 2024

Athensfan

When do you think nyc should host not counting 2024

It doesn't work that way. You have to wait until all the stars align: leadership, finances, public opinion, vision/storyline, geopolitics. No idea when that will happen for NYC, if ever. There are way too many variables, not least among them other American cities that may bid successfully.

Pretty much what Athens said. Forgetting who the mayor is for a sec (and you're right, that doesn't help), you can't project when everything is going to come together. From New York's perspective, 2012 was the perfect time to bid. Both NFL teams were looking for a new stadium and they thought the West Side Stadium for the Jets was a solid plan (would have left a nice big legacy if that had worked out), the Yankees and Mets were building new stadiums, the Devils got their new arena, MSG got renovated. And beyond that, there were transportation and other infrastructure projects offered by the Olympic bid, some of which actually went ahead anyway.

The key is for someone, be it a Dan Doctoroff type or some other city official, to come along with a plan that works for New York and entices the USOC. Not sure if anyone is gonna be able to come along and put that together. Remember, a city needs to start planning no less than 10 years in advance of their potential Olympics, 3-4 years in advance of the vote, and needs to sell their city that they may not win, but it's still a worthwhile pursuit anyway. That was NYC in 2012. I don't know when it'll happen again.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of San Diego, I'm not sure how other Americans view SD as a potential olympic candidate city. For one, San Diego's weather alone makes it a perfect option for summer games. The one hideous mark on our record is the lacking of a large international airport capable of handling athletes and tourists from 200+ sovereign states. There isn't time nor interest in building a new one, so could San Diego host an olympics with San Diego Int'l, Tijuana Int'l and LAX (Hopefully High-Speed Rail will be built and ready to transport from LA to SD)?

Infrastructure wise, San Diego is solid. We have the resources and venues to host, pending the resolution on the stadium fight downtown. The one thing that makes me excited about a potential bid is how cool an olympic stadium, village and park would be downtown on the bay-front, next to Petco Park and the newly renovated and expanded SD Convention Center.

Here's the link to the SDEC Video for the USOC. Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but isn't San Diego the only potential host city with a video out? http://www.sd2024ec.org/home/news/

Outside of San Diego, I'm not sure how other Americans view SD as a potential olympic candidate city. For one, San Diego's weather alone makes it a perfect option for summer games. The one hideous mark on our record is the lacking of a large international airport capable of handling athletes and tourists from 200+ sovereign states. There isn't time nor interest in building a new one, so could San Diego host an olympics with San Diego Int'l, Tijuana Int'l and LAX (Hopefully High-Speed Rail will be built and ready to transport from LA to SD)?

Infrastructure wise, San Diego is solid. We have the resources and venues to host, pending the resolution on the stadium fight downtown. The one thing that makes me excited about a potential bid is how cool an olympic stadium, village and park would be downtown on the bay-front, next to Petco Park and the newly renovated and expanded SD Convention Center.

Here's the link to the SDEC Video for the USOC. Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but isn't San Diego the only potential host city with a video out? http://www.sd2024ec.org/home/news/

You just summed up the feeling on San Diego.. if you're using Los Angeles as a means to receive and transport athletes, why not have the whole show there?

I love San Diego. I think it's a great city and the weather makes it an ideal location for just about anything, but the Olympics are a little bit too big for them, especially when there's another much larger and much more suitable host city a couple of hours up the highway. Takes a lot more than a video to put together a legitimate Olympic bid. So long as Los Angeles is still in the picture, San Diego might as well not bother trying.

You just summed up the feeling on San Diego.. if you're using Los Angeles as a means to receive and transport athletes, why not have the whole show there?

I love San Diego. I think it's a great city and the weather makes it an ideal location for just about anything, but the Olympics are a little bit too big for them, especially when there's another much larger and much more suitable host city a couple of hours up the highway. Takes a lot more than a video to put together a legitimate Olympic bid. So long as Los Angeles is still in the picture, San Diego might as well not bother trying.

That's why I'm hoping the Los Angeles bid falls through. The video isn't the only aspect of the bid; I posted it just to see how people might react to it, especially if they had preconceived notions about SD. It's a also the released portion of an entire package SD will be pitching the USOC.

For San Diego, it's really a long shot for 2024, but I'm thrilled that local leaders are trying to better this city. An olympic bid would also force us to work on infrastructure improvements that we desperately need to be considered an international city.

Without a major int'l airport, SD's bid is dead. U have the airport, pretty much the complete infrastructure, the experience, the population, the prospective 2 Olympic villages up the 5. The only weak part of a 3rd LA bid are its open water sports. If LA can somehow bring those to Santa Monica instead of Long Beach, a 3rd run would be almost a cinch.

LA has a better chance of a bid for the SOG than SD. maybe you put the sailing and rowing events there or bid for a YOG.

LA has a better story for the bid. it will be the third time the city will host and i think i should have a focus on california as a whole rather than the united states.

and also you can use this song as you big video.

i see it

people here not so much

some think its LA

some think its too small (wrong)

everyone questions the airport

keep posting!

B)

That's why I'm hoping the Los Angeles bid falls through. The video isn't the only aspect of the bid; I posted it just to see how people might react to it, especially if they had preconceived notions about SD. It's a also the released portion of an entire package SD will be pitching the USOC.

For San Diego, it's really a long shot for 2024, but I'm thrilled that local leaders are trying to better this city. An olympic bid would also force us to work on infrastructure improvements that we desperately need to be considered an international city.

As an American, and mostly as someone with friends in both LA and San Diego, I understand that the 2 are distinct. But now you have to sell that IOC members who might not see the distinction and lump them all together as Southern California. So that's on the USOC to decide which city is more attractive to the IOC. Given the choice between LA and San Diego, that's not even a debate. Los Angeles maybe has a shot against the competition. But if the competition includes the likes of Paris or Rome or Durban, does San Diego even belong in that conversation? I don't think so.

Good for San Diego that it wants to improve itself and is potentially using the platform of an Olympic bid to do so. But they need to know the odds of them so much as being selected as the USOC candidate is extremely slim.

If I'm being completely honest, Los Angeles is Usa's best chance, seeing as though New York City and Chicago don't want it. Even that, the Usa will only get the SUMMER Olympics if they Bid with New York City or Chicago for the 2036 Summer Olympics. As I've stated before, I recon 2036 will be New York City VS Toronto.

IMO, New York City's earliest chance will be 2036. Because Europe will have 2024 (they won't have 3 Non-European Olympics in a row), 2028 will be Durban and 2032 will come back to Europe. 2036 for New York City or Toronto.

I was actually a supporter of Tokyo 2020 since the start of the 2020 Bidding process. Also, I never actually said New York City will deffiently not Bid. I said in other words, they most likely won't, but your jumping on your high horse as usual, and my reading skills are fine, just you pick and choose what you read. Again, I never stated New York City won't Bid deffiently, I said it looks as if they probably won't. Also, like Quaker stated, prove a point that New York City will Bid.

This makes no sense. 2032 is Americas next games, why would the IOC go back to Europe only one games since the 2024 games? Makes no sense.

As for the topic LA VS SD, LA wins hands down, Alas 2024 is not the US' year. Looking beyond 2024 and into 2032 I hope there are more cities with the stature and international reputation to host the games. Although there is one city that has caught my attention recently and it appears they have some very devoted people working on a bid, I see a future London 2012 in it.

As for the topic LA VS SD, LA wins hands down, Alas 2024 is not the US' year. Looking beyond 2024 and into 2032 I hope there are more cities with the stature and international reputation to host the games. Although there is one city that has caught my attention recently and it appears they have some very devoted people working on a bid, I see a future London 2012 in it.

What city?

a LA bid could also tie into a new stadium like the stade de france to woo the nfl with, and they already have several possible locations

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/los-angeles-nfl-stadium/

that is true, if they end up building he site away from LA, that would be to far away. But farmers field would be pretty good. There has also been talk about updating memorial coliseum or Rose Bowl. The coliseum would be cool cause it has hosted two Olympics only, a con about farmers field is the capacity might be to small.

a LA bid could also tie into a new stadium like the stade de france to woo the nfl with, and they already have several possible locations

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/los-angeles-nfl-stadium/

Binary, they would still go with the historic LA Memorial Stadium. It is right beside the USC campus which will be designated as one of the Villages. The other sites won't have that advantage or history. Probably another $3 - 5 million to make minimum retrofits to the Grand Old Lady for another turn. The other sites just won't work.

Archived