USA 2024

Athensfan

For f**k sake Tony. A lot of us have been prepared to give you a chance and lay off your back while you're finding your feet here. But now you've served two suspensions, are up to the 1100 plus post mark, have had numerous members try to advise you on how to fit in and behave - both diplomatically and heatedly - and you keep saying "okay, sorry, I've learned now, I won't do it again", but then go off and less than five minutes and a dozen posts later you just show you're not paying any attention at all. At this stage you should be learning that you have to have a bit of a thick skin to survive and be accepted here and as far as I'm concerned, you should be way past the stage where we should have to tread on eggshells and be gentle with you.

We all know you're from London, England. We do have longer attention spans than you seem to have. We don't forget it if you haven't reminded us in the past few hours. If we keep picking up on it and making jokes about it, it's because you've persisted with it so incessantly and annoyingly that it has become a board in-joke. Ignore it, and perhaps that joke will die down and get forgotten. You don't need to start a two-page flame war every time someone makes a dig at you over it.

And while we're on it, your favourite preposition - "My" - as in "My England", "My Team GB". I know you've been told at least twice in the past 24 hours alone how creepy, moronic and annoying that is. You've said "sorry" about it numerous times, but then go on to use it again. It's again, become so persistent, it's become a joke. What started out as sounding odd and vaguely icky, has now become annoying. It's turning more people against you than getting you accepted.

And your status updates - again, we know you're English (I haven't forgotten that since I typed the last paragraph) and that you'd likely then support Team GB. Fair enough to do it once at the start of a games, but you don't have to keep updating the same message each day just to make sure you're name is still prominent on the status update list. It'd be more remarkable and worthy of letting us know if you woke up one morning with the sh!ts against "your" team for some reason, and had decided to want to emigrate to Tasmania. Why not just update your status when you have a new status to update about? People are just getting sick of seeing your name plastered everywhere.

I don't think people should be bullying you, but you've done yourself no favours if you're wanting to be accepted. I'm still giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not doing all this getting up people's noses deliberately to troll. But it starts to look more and more like that the more you keep persisting with your ways.

To anyone interested in discussing posible US Olympic bids, sorry for posting this rant here. It could have been in any one of half a dozen threads where Tony is stumbling about like a bull in a china shop. It's just the one I was going through when my patience snapped. Go Tulsa!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony actually apologized after someone complained of his third "Go GB" status in a row. And yet he posted it two more times. He even promised after his second suspension that he would return with more relevant and constructive posts. Tony, you are a LIAR. Is it going to take someone being banned from to forum for bullying in order for Tony to clean up his act?? I really hope not.

Not at all, FYI. My beef is with Tony who certainly phrased things differently. Why are you getting defensive on his behalf.

I'm not (I could care less if you wanna go after him), so stop trying to twist things by making it seem like it's about him, when it's not. What gets me is your total lack of candor in your post by saying had he "phrased" it differently. Well, that still hasn't stop you before by citing the same ole "zero evidence" stuff when others HAVE phrased as such I.E. "most likely or unlikely". It's right here in this very thread that you created a couple of years ago for anyone to see.

If you want "evidence & conclusive facts" about everything that we write here, then perhaps you should start your own Gamesbids website requiring just that, instead of trying to impose that to the rest of us here. If you don't wanna allow us to come to pragmatic opinions bcuz we don't have the required "evidence" to do so, simply bcuz that's what you "require" (yet you don't practice that philosophy) then that's your issue & no one else's. But whatever, I'm done with this now. Can't continue playing this charade anylonger.

I am not complaining about someone saying it is "unlikely" that New York will bid. Heck, I agree with that statement. When people started saying that a couple years ago, I thought it was premature, but now that more time has passed, I agree it's unlikely.

I am bothered when someone says, "Since NYC isn't bidding..." We just don't know that yet.

I'm honestly not sure why you're irked with me, FYI.

As for all these comments about "bullying" I don't regret my comments to or about Tony and I do not consider them to constitute bullying. I consider them accurate. I have been trying to help preserve some of the integrity and value of the boards. I have honestly contemplated just leaving GB because of what has happened to the boards recently.

As for all these comments about "bullying" I don't regret my comments to or about Tony and I do not consider them to constitute bullying. I consider them accurate. I have been trying to help preserve some of the integrity and value of the boards. I have honestly contemplated just leaving GB because of what has happened to the boards recently.

I wasn't referring to you. But I do know a few people have had warnings about picking on him as well. Just be careful.

I wasn't referring to you. But I do know a few people have had warnings about picking on him as well. Just be careful.

Thanks for the note. Honestly, at this point the mild shame of being banned is more of a deterrent than losing access. Believe it or not, there are any number of sentences I desperately wanted to post but deleted.

Aargh !!

Does it really matter about how tony spells or writes. You guys spend to much time complaining about each other and less about talking about the USA 2024 olympics

wish there was something to talk about

chicago -_-

nyc <_<

la :rolleyes:

boston :unsure:

dallas :mellow:

san diego B)

????? :ph34r:

To state the question differently, does anyone think there's a chance there are cities that USOC is talking with about 2024, but we don't know about yet? I know USOC isn't publicizing which cities they're talking to, but the chance that there's a mystery city in the mix seems to me incredibly unlikely.

To state the question differently, does anyone think there's a chance there are cities that USOC is talking with about 2024, but we don't know about yet? I know USOC isn't publicizing which cities they're talking to, but the chance that there's a mystery city in the mix seems to me incredibly unlikely.

The only reason that notion is out there is that Blackmun has said repeatedly that some cities prefer to stay anonymous at this stage.

We may never know who the anonymous cities were if they all drop out.

It's possible, but unlikely. I find it hard to believe that there's a candidate city out there we haven't heard anything about. As opposed to Los Angeles which declared they're "enthusiastically interested" or Boston who has gone through the motions of a government study, or Dallas where there's someone leading a bid committee and has offered up some ideas. Not to mention a few other cities out there that there are rumblings from.

Yea, Blackmun can say some cities prefer to stay anonymous, but just because he isn't saying Boston or Philadelphia doesn't mean we don't know they're out there. Could there be others? Again, possibly, but a year after the USOC letter, I doubt it, and even if there are, chances are we'll never hear about them.

Hopefully one of those is NYC but I doubt it

I would be shocked beyond belief if NYC is in there. Down the line maybe they'll jump back in, but 2012 was the time for them. Sadly, the rest of the world didn't cooperate.

What's interesting, and this has been discussed elsewhere.. the original plan for NYC was to pursue the 2008 Olympics rather than 2012. But Atlanta screwed things up. If they don't win the `96 Olympics, it's very possible IMHO that New York might have been the next American city to host a Summer Olympics after L.A.

I would be shocked beyond belief if NYC is in there. Down the line maybe they'll jump back in, but 2012 was the time for them. Sadly, the rest of the world didn't cooperate.

What's interesting, and this has been discussed elsewhere.. the original plan for NYC was to pursue the 2008 Olympics rather than 2012. But Atlanta screwed things up. If they don't win the `96 Olympics, it's very possible IMHO that New York might have been the next American city to host a Summer Olympics after L.A.

Totally agree with that hypothetical. Atlanta screwed a lot of things up.

Yeah i know cause Dan doctroff was inspired when he saw a World Cup game at giants stadium

Totally agree with that hypothetical. Atlanta screwed a lot of things up.

That's why I never get people (here more than in the IOC) who hold it against the USOC that they hosted so many Olympics in a short span. Is it really the USOC's fault they submitted what they knew was a longshot bid with Atlanta `96 and wound up winning? Yea, the USOC got a little greedy pushing New York for 2012 and Chicago for 2016 and it's a real shame that they largely turned both off to future Olympic bidding. And here we are nearly 2 decades on from Atlanta (with at least another decade, probably more, before the Summer Olympics return), and that's the most recent Summer Olympics held in this country. Regardless of how any of us feel about Atlanta, almost makes you wonder if the USOC could go back and do it over, would they have put that bid through rather than trying later on with a more prominent city.

Yeah i know cause Dan doctroff was inspired when he saw a World Cup game at giants stadium

That he was. The irony is that part of the reason that World Cup was possible was because of the response to the sport of soccer at the `84 Olympics in LA (which, incidentally, New York was also considered for at one point). It all could have come full circle!

That's why I never get people (here more than in the IOC) who hold it against the USOC that they hosted so many Olympics in a short span. Is it really the USOC's fault they submitted what they knew was a longshot bid with Atlanta `96 and wound up winning? Yea, the USOC got a little greedy pushing New York for 2012 and Chicago for 2016 and it's a real shame that they largely turned both off to future Olympic bidding. And here we are nearly 2 decades on from Atlanta (with at least another decade, probably more, before the Summer Olympics return), and that's the most recent Summer Olympics held in this country. Regardless of how any of us feel about Atlanta, almost makes you wonder if the USOC could go back and do it over, would they have put that bid through rather than trying later on with a more prominent city.

That he was. The irony is that part of the reason that World Cup was possible was because of the response to the sport of soccer at the `84 Olympics in LA (which, incidentally, New York was also considered for at one point). It all could have come full circle!

When do you think nyc should host not counting 2024

When do you think nyc should host not counting 2024

It doesn't work that way. You have to wait until all the stars align: leadership, finances, public opinion, vision/storyline, geopolitics. No idea when that will happen for NYC, if ever. There are way too many variables, not least among them other American cities that may bid successfully.

It doesn't work that way. You have to wait until all the stars align: leadership, finances, public opinion, vision/storyline, geopolitics. No idea when that will happen for NYC, if ever. There are way too many variables, not least among them other American cities that may bid successfully.

Especially when de Blasio doesn't seem like the mayor to do so

Archived