USA 2024

Athensfan

Get over it. It's a spelling mistake. Big deal. Anyway, back to your point, as I say you are a hypocrite. You say people shouldn't make opinion fact, but that's what you do. I've said that before and I say it again, because I don't like Hypocracy.

You were the one who just defended "deffiently" (which you spelled that way multiple times) as a uniquely British word. You just told an obvious lie and expected us to fall for it.

The truth is, you don't know up from down, Tony. Grow up.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get over it. It's a spelling mistake. Big deal. Anyway, back to your point, as I say you are a hypocrite. You say people shouldn't make opinion fact, but that's what you do. I've said that before and I say it again, because I don't like Hypocracy.

It's a mistake if you make the error once. If you make it constantly, it's not a mistake, it's a lack of knowledge. And your defense of it makes it even worse.

The point is that NYC is an unknown without conclusive evidence for or against a bid. So stop lumping NYC in with Chicago. We KNOW Chicago won't bid. We don't know what NYC will do.

Actually, he can lump it in. This is the same type of insufferable rhetoric that you subjected us to BEFORE we "knew" that Chicago wasn't bidding. That there was "zero evidence" to cite such a conclusion, even though most thngs pointed to that another Chicago bid was extremely unlikely. Well, most of us here called that one when their mayor said a big fat NO. Then you recoiled like it was no big deal & it was "expected" that they wouldn't. Now we're in the same scenario here but this time with New York.

There's enough out there (or isn't) to suggest that New York is unlikely to mount another bid. And the closer we get 'til April (which is when the USOC said that they'll trim the list of cities that they're talking with to two or three), & were hear peep from New York, then extremely unlikely they're gonna bid in the end.

I don't see why anyone here has to have "evidence" of anything when most of the things we talk about here on these boards don't ever come with such things. It's not like you have any evidence on whatever rhetoric you cite to back up your claims. It's those type of tactics that make debating with you completely intolerable. But I'm sure once we know that New York definitely is not bidding you'll just convienently resort to something like "it was expected that they wouldn't bid", or "not surprised that they won't bid".

Actually, he can lump it in. This is the same type of insufferable rhetoric that you subjected us to BEFORE we "knew" that Chicago wasn't bidding. That there was "zero evidence" to cite such a conclusion, even though most thngs pointed to that another Chicago bid was extremely unlikely. Well, most of us here called that one when their mayor said a big fat NO. Then you recoiled like it was no big deal & it was "expected" that they wouldn't. Now we're in the same scenario here but this time with New York.

There's enough out there (or isn't) to suggest that New York is unlikely to mount another bid. And the closer we get 'til April (which is when the USOC said that they'll trim the list of cities that they're talking with to two or three), & were hear peep from New York, then extremely unlikely they're gonna bid in the end.

I don't see why anyone here has to have "evidence" of anything when most of the things we talk about here on these boards don't ever come with such things. It's not like you have any evidence on whatever rhetoric you cite to back up your claims. It's those type of tactics that make debating with you completely intolerable. But I'm sure once we know that New York definitely is not bidding you'll just convienently resort to something like "it was expected that they wouldn't bid", or "not surprised that they won't bid".

As it turned out, Chicago didn't bid. Chances are NYC won't either, but it's not a fact until it's CERTAIN.

People acted with similar certainty about Tokyo losing 2020 or Bode winning the downhill. Sometimes the conventional wisdom and popular prognostication is right and sometimes it's not. That's why it bothers me when people act like something's a done deal, when it's not.

Chicago said no. NYC said nothing. They are NOT the same.

Athensfan was pointing that out to hide the fact that he is a hypocrite. They said they won't Bid, but in Athens eyes, because he recons they will Bid, then they will Bid.

As it turned out, Chicago didn't bid. Chances are NYC won't either, but it's not a fact until it's CERTAIN.

People acted with similar certainty about Tokyo losing 2020 or Bode winning the downhill. Sometimes the conventional wisdom and popular prognostication is right and sometimes it's not. That's why it bothers me when people act like something's a done deal, when it's not.

Chicago said no. NYC said nothing. They are NOT the same.

Chicago is not NYC. But if you're waiting for NYC to say something, it's probably never going to happen. And when the day comes that the USOC does finally announce the interested cities and almost certainly NYC won't be on there, then it's gonna confirm what the rest of us are pretty much taking for granted at this point. This couldn't be more dissimilar from Tokyo 2020. You keep making it sound like we're all crazy for thinking that New York is out of it and that we should think more like you and acknowledge the possibility that they might be in until someone official says otherwise. Popular prognostication about NYC's lack of interest in the Olympics is a very educated assumption and it's based on observations that you don't want us to take seriously because they're not provable evidence. Give us all (well, at least those of us over the age of 17) a little credit we're not just making guesses here and that there's an extremely good chance that we're going to be right about NYC. A much better chance than anyone's predictions about Tokyo or certainly about Bode Miller.

Athensfan was pointing that out to hide the fact that he is a hypocrite. They said they won't Bid, but in Athens eyes, because he recons they will Bid, then they will Bid.

Tony, this is the point in the proceedings where you should start refraining from saying anything else on this matter. You made a fool of yourself and going after another poster is not going to help your cause here. Take your lumps and then find a way to try to rejoin the conversation.

Chicago is not NYC. But if you're waiting for NYC to say something, it's probably never going to happen. And when the day comes that the USOC does finally announce the interested cities and almost certainly NYC won't be on there, then it's gonna confirm what the rest of us are pretty much taking for granted at this point. This couldn't be more dissimilar from Tokyo 2020. You keep making it sound like we're all crazy for thinking that New York is out of it and that we should think more like you and acknowledge the possibility that they might be in until someone official says otherwise. Popular prognostication about NYC's lack of interest in the Olympics is a very educated assumption and it's based on observations that you don't want us to take seriously because they're not provable evidence. Give us all (well, at least those of us over the age of 17) a little credit we're not just making guesses here and that there's an extremely good chance that we're going to be right about NYC. A much better chance than anyone's predictions about Tokyo or certainly about Bode Miller.

That's quite offensive. I'm saying exactly what your saying, but you say just over 17's credit. You were all this age once. I'm not stupid for making mistakes or dissagreements.

Uh, no. That is not my view.

I've said repeatedly NYC may well not bid. I've said repeatedly that I hope they don't. However, until we know for sure, people should not act like its certain.

No hypocrisy. Just ask FYI, he will tell youIm annoyingly consistent on this point.

That's quite offensive. I'm saying exactly what your saying, but you say just over 17's credit. You were all this age once. I'm not stupid for making mistakes or dissagreements.

Ya c'mon Quaker, don't put posters like me and alphacarter in the same boat as Tony.

I wasn't one of those people that subscribed to Tokyo 2020's sure demise, though. Hence, as evident by the incessant attacks that I received here by the Madrid 2020 camp. Anyone who was truly pragmatic with the 2020 race could've seen that Tokyo shouldn't have been so easily dismissed.

But if we need "facts" for everything that goes on here, then why have the forums for this website in the first place. It should just be an Olympic news site, with only the GB newswire section & that'd be the end of it. Never mind trying to cite educated guess opinions on anything here then. Chicago said no AFTER the fact. The only difference now is that New York hasn't said so yet. And they may not. It's not like they're obligated to do so.

Uh, no. That is not my view.

I've said repeatedly NYC may well not bid. I've said repeatedly that I hope they don't. However, until we know for sure, people should not act like its certain.

No hypocrisy. Just ask FYI, he will tell youIm annoyingly consistent on this point.

New York City is most certainly won't bid (AGAIN I didn't say impossible).

Ya c'mon Quaker, don't put posters like me and alphacarter in the same boat as Tony.

Don't make me look like a fool. I'm not stupid, I make mistakes, who doesn't.

For disagreements, no. For mistakes.. okay, they happen, but you seem to have some spelling/grammar issues. But for trying to tell us that it's a word Brits use and then 5 minutes later admitting that's not true.. yea, that's a little stupid.

And you're right about the age thing, because olympicsfan97 is your age and he knows how to handle himself here. My apologies to him for lumping him in with the young crowd in that regard.

Don't make me look like a fool. I'm not stupid, I make mistakes, who doesn't.

Yes, and when you make a mistake, own up to it and move on. We'd all respect you a lot more if you did that or at least if you made a mistake, you learned from it and didn't continue along the same path after you tell us "I understand, I won't do it again"

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that we knew everything then like you seem to do here & now.

New York City is most certainly won't bid (AGAIN I didn't say impossible).

Is that even a sentence? Holy crap.. are you sure English is your first language?

NYC "most certainly won't bid" -- but he's not representing anything as a certain fact, folks. Not at all!

Forget that, it barely qualifies as a coherent sentence!

And Quaker, when the USOC announces interested cites then we will have certainty. I agree that NYC will "most likely" not be one if them. THAT is the way to phrase it.

I'd go so far as to say NYC will "almost certainly" not be one of them. I feel confident based on what I've seen and heard (not to mention living in this city) to say that.

Ok. I type fast. I SOMETIMES think after I post, I write in short. When I speak in real life, I speak proper. English is my first language as I am English. I'm out of this argument. I know who the hypocrite is COUGH Athensfan COUGH.

And Quaker, when the USOC announces interested cites then we will have certainty. I agree that NYC will "most likely" not be one if them. THAT is the way to phrase it.

Uh, really??!! That's how it's always been phrased, & that's also certainly how is was phrased before Chicago officially said no! But you were always incessant & vehement with your "there's zero evidence" & "no conclusive facts" diatribe. So please stop being so disingenuous now, AF!

Uh, really??!! That's how it's always been phrased, & that's also certainly how is was phrased before Chicago officially said no! But you were always incessant & vehement with your "there's zero evidence" & "no conclusive facts" diatribe. So please stop being so disingenuous now, AF!

Not at all, FYI. My beef is with Tony who certainly phrased things differently. Why are you getting defensive on his behalf.

Ok. I type fast. I SOMETIMES think after I post, I write in short. When I speak in real life, I speak proper. English is my first language as I am English. I'm out of this argument. I know who the hypocrite is COUGH Athensfan COUGH.

"Speak proper."

Is anyone else dying of laughter?

I don't think you know what hypocrisy is. This is just desperation talking.

Archived