USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's interesting is the all the NFL stadium proposals for LA do talk about convertibility for the Olympics.

I think there's a general belief that LA will want to bring back the Olympics someday, while no one really thinks NYC will get the games.

Note - If the games come to the US, I would expect to follow the "Rio model" with a big NFL/NCAA stadium used for ceremonies, and a smaller venue adapted for Athletics.

Ummm, IDK. Houston 2012 tried to the two-stadium concept, & so did Chicago 2016 (in their initial bid concept) & both times the USOC put a stop to it. Citing that the IOC won't go for it. Simply bcuz the IOC made this concession with Rio 2016, what would make anyone think that they would make this same concession for anyone else. The IOC made quite a few exceptions to finally take the Games to South America. Anyone else trying to emulate those same aspects, particularly in countries that have already hosted multiple times like the U.S., is just setting themselves up for failure.

Didn't Chicago initially propose a temporary stadium right next to Soldier Field? Or one which would have been downsized like London's? It would have been connected together and both sites would have been part of the ceremonies. Similar to one of Melbourne 1956's ideas of connecting a new athletics stadium to the MCG.

Ummm, IDK. Houston 2012 tried to the two-stadium concept, & so did Chicago 2016 (in their initial bid concept) & both times the USOC put a stop to it. Citing that the IOC won't go for it. Simply bcuz the IOC made this concession with Rio 2016, what would make anyone think that they would make this same concession for anyone else. The IOC made quite a few exceptions to finally take the Games to South America. Anyone else trying to emulate those same aspects, particularly in countries that have already hosted multiple times like the U.S., is just setting themselves up for failure.

As long as there are lots of strong bids that meet all the IOC/USOC's wish list, they will keep up the requirements. But if the alpha cities start to all "pull a Munich" and tell the IOC to go stuff themselves, they will become more flexible.

Personally, I can't imagine a US SOG until such time as the IOC becomes more flexible.

IMO, no matter which U.S. city hosts the Summer Games, the organizing committee will use the same stadium (with 80,000+ seats) for both the ceremonies and athletics. They would almost certainly be able to sell out every session of athletics, even in a large stadium, so why would the organizing committee give up tens of millions of dollars in revenue by having athletics in a 60,000-seat stadium? If you figure that there are, what, 18 sessions of athletics, and the ticket prices for the 20,000 extra seats in the larger stadium average $200 a ticket, that's over $70 million in addition revenue.

IMO, no matter which U.S. city hosts the Summer Games, the organizing committee will use the same stadium (with 80,000+ seats) for both the ceremonies and athletics. They would almost certainly be able to sell out every session of athletics, even in a large stadium, so why would the organizing committee give up tens of millions of dollars in revenue by having athletics in a 60,000-seat stadium? If you figure that there are, what, 18 sessions of athletics, and the ticket prices for the 20,000 extra seats in the larger stadium average $200 a ticket, that's over $70 million in addition revenue.

Because it would cost more than $70mil to have the extra seats. (Note - not saying it necessary would, but that would be the reason.)

I'm curious to see what stadium Dallas puts forth as its Ceremonies Stadium and if that turns out to be the same as the Athletics Stadium. For me sadly, this will be the make or break factor. I used to go to the Cotton Bowls at the old Cotton Bowl itself, and the place was a dumpster, litterly (get it, litter everywhere :P ). Unless serious renovations happen to that place, or Dallas decides to go with AT&T Stadium (although 100+ thousand seats is a bit extreme), I won't be backing a Dallas bid. But again, I'm curious to see what they propose for each, because the Cotton Bowl would be used for both, but who knows if they pick AT&T.

I'm curious to see what stadium Dallas puts forth as its Ceremonies Stadium and if that turns out to be the same as the Athletics Stadium. For me sadly, this will be the make or break factor. I used to go to the Cotton Bowls at the old Cotton Bowl itself, and the place was a dumpster, litterly (get it, litter everywhere :P ). Unless serious renovations happen to that place, or Dallas decides to go with AT&T Stadium (although 100+ thousand seats is a bit extreme), I won't be backing a Dallas bid. But again, I'm curious to see what they propose for each, because the Cotton Bowl would be used for both, but who knows if they pick AT&T.

I'm curious when you were going to the Cotton Bowl. I've been there several times, the last time being 2007 I think, for the Texas-Oklahoma game, and didn't really find it trashy. Yeah, it could absolutely use some sprucing up, but not dumpsterlike IMO.

Selfishly, the idea of a Dallas bid appeals to me since I live so close (relatively). I also genuinely think the concept of an Olympic Park in and around Fair Park is an intriguing concept. Some of those old fair buildings could be renovated into something really cool, I think. And definitely the Cotton Bowl itself could benefit from renovations, and it's a space that really could be used for athletics and ceremonies both, I think.

The downsides to a Dallas bid would be that people think it's culturally too much like Atlanta and not enough of a 'major' city (however we define those terms).

The idea of Olympic ceremonies in the Jerrydome makes me barf.

Anyway, I see the Dallas bid as doomed but I wish there was some way we could know what they were proposing. Alas, it's not to be!

I'm curious when you were going to the Cotton Bowl. I've been there several times, the last time being 2007 I think, for the Texas-Oklahoma game, and didn't really find it trashy. Yeah, it could absolutely use some sprucing up, but not dumpsterlike IMO.

Selfishly, the idea of a Dallas bid appeals to me since I live so close (relatively). I also genuinely think the concept of an Olympic Park in and around Fair Park is an intriguing concept. Some of those old fair buildings could be renovated into something really cool, I think. And definitely the Cotton Bowl itself could benefit from renovations, and it's a space that really could be used for athletics and ceremonies both, I think.

The downsides to a Dallas bid would be that people think it's culturally too much like Atlanta and not enough of a 'major' city (however we define those terms).

The idea of Olympic ceremonies in the Jerrydome makes me barf.

Anyway, I see the Dallas bid as doomed but I wish there was some way we could know what they were proposing. Alas, it's not to be!

It was awhile back when I was attending, As I was at the Tennessee vs A&M game and then I was at the Missouri Arkansas game. What I meant by trashy was that there was a fairly good degree of litter left under the stands in the halls, but then again I was at a football game. The outside of the stadium and the interior to an extent is in dire need of a facejob, because in some spots you can see stains and in certain spots cracks on the stadium. I don't know if that's been fixed but if it hasn't, that was my main issue, giving it a "trashy" look on top of the litter.

I would personally like to see a Dallas or Philly bid over say another LA bid, not because of its better chances, but because I'm a fan of giving the games to new places, not bringing them back to the same ones if there are other cities, especially in the same country, capable of hosting. I think the Cotton Bowl can host the ceremonies and athletics, but they really need to renovate the place if it's going to do so. I know they've tried in the past, but the last time I checked (which granted, was like 6 years ago), it hadn't worked.

Maybe Tony subscribes to the problematic "No means Yes" theory of consent.

All I am saying is, people always change their mind. The Economy might be boosted, the NOC might be convinced? I am not saying they will Bid, just you don't know what can change. And I know No means No and Yes means Yes. Just think of it as the future, anything can happen.

Sure, Chicago may bid for 2028, but as far as this discussion is concerned (2024) it is not bidding.

Ok. I do know the difference between Yes and No.

I should hope so - the alternative is jail.

You are making this sound really wrong. Please go back to topic and leave this disturbing discussion that me and you are having, I feel uncomfortable.

The only thing that makes sense for Athletics is the Cotton Bowl. It can sacrafice the seats to make room for the track, and is in the perfect location. The question them becomes do you have the ceremonies there, or in the bigger (but worse location) Jerryworld.

[sarcasm]But zeke, how can you hold a Ceremony outside the city limits of Dallas when the IOC strictly forbids it![/sarcasm]

The advantage of Dallas is that have 2 large scale stadiums to work with, so they can compromise 1 somewhat for the Olympics and still have the other for football games and other large events. If the Cotton Bowl is the main venue, chances are you're talking at least 80,000 seats, so while Cowboys Stadium is bigger, they don't necessarily need to use it (and remember also that a lot of the seating there is temporary and/or standing room, so that might be an issue).

IMO, Dallas is still a non-starter, and I'm not sure we'll ever even see the details of their venue plan.

I don't like their chances, but I think the USOC is still going to hear them out. Other than maybe Los Angeles, who even has a venue plan? Philadelphia? Boston? Dallas at least has something resembling a concept they could go with. The USOC has said they might try and wittle the field down to 3 cities (or not, depending on what mood they're in), so I think they'd be more apt to include them in the discussion rather than 1 of the others unless they've progressed out of the exploratory stages.

here the olympic park for la2024 ^_^:D

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/city_buying_40_acres_of_riverfront_land_in_cypress_and_glassell.php

Let the bargaining begin! Eastsider LA reports that the City Council has approved a motion allowing the city to finally get the ball rolling on buying more than 40 acres of land along the LA River known as Taylor Yard Parcel G2. The city has been interested in this giant piece of property, which sits directly between the existing Rio de Los Angeles State Park and the river in Glassell Park and Cypress Park, for more than a decade. It's seen as a crucial element in the effort to return the largely concrete river to a more natural state because, since the parcel is so big, any sort of large-scale revitalization would have a huge impact on the waterway as a whole. The city plans to use the land as both natural space for the public and wetlands to improve the river's water quality, turning it into a "premiere urban ecosystem green space," as Councilmember Gil Cedillo in his official motion. It's unclear how much money this purchase is going to cost the city, but, at one time, as much as $25 million in public funds were set aside for it.

Archived