USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York appears to be disinterested & doesn't want to bother again. They have others things to do. Hence why any news reports on the subject only report Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia & San Diego as actively pursuing studies to bid or not.

New York appears to be disinterested & doesn't want to bother again. They have others things to do. Hence why any news reports on the subject only report Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia & San Diego as actively pursuing studies to bid or not.

Fair enough.

Well, Thomas Bach said recently that "the U.S. needs to 'step up' & present a strong bid", so take that for what it's worth.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/olympics/wires/11/23/2090.ap.oly.ioc.bach/

So the head of the IOC is trying to encourage the USOC to bid? Gee, where have we heard that one before.

This is more Roggespeak. He can encourage the USOC all he wants, but if they don't have a strong bid, it's not like they can coax one out of a city that is either only mildly interested or doesn't have the resources to compete, and that was if the playing field was level, which with Europe and South Africa potentially eying 2024, it is now.

Usa should bid with New York City in my opinion.

FYI covered it pretty well, but the USA can only bid with a city that wants to bid. Right now, New York does not appear to be 1 of those cities. So what the USOC 'should' do may not align with what they are able to do.

I am not lost. Basically I meant why did one of their members even think of it?

You are lost. They are not considering it and "one of their members did not think of it.

You also had no idea of New York's apparent disinterest.

You suggested a desert city host the Winter Games.

You are beyond lost.

You are lost. They are not considering it and "one of their members did not think of it.

You also had no idea of New York's apparent disinterest.

You suggested a desert city host the Winter Games.

You are beyond lost.

Maybe stop picking bad points out about me. I'm New. Big Deal. And I knew New York wasn't interested, I just said I would LIKE to see them bid.

Maybe consider reading and/or thinking first before typing.

I do. I said I would LIKE to see New York City Bid. Just like others WANT Usa to bid, even though nothing is concrete.

People seriously need to relax around here :) Everybody hug your girl, or guy, and breathe! :P

Seriously.. what is it about this forum that seems to bring out the worst in everyone (and to be fair, I certainly include myself in that) and makes us all snipe at each other. I've never been a part of a forum that gets this nasty on such a regular basis.

Every once in a while a snipe is called for. I feel just fine about my recent ones.

Part of the deal with the internet is that there's no real accountability. We wouldn't recognize each other on the street (for the most part). We don't know real names or occupations. It's possible to let somebody have it in an online forum in a manner that would never fly in real life. That doesn't justify it, but it probably explains some of how/why it happens.

Maybe NYC is not interested for 2024 but maybe for 2028? Let the sucker who loses 2024 go first then come with a strong 2028 bid which includes all the sporting venues built since the failed 2012 bid (especially major arenas) and the new Aqueduct Convention Center. But if they're really disinterested, they'll probably never end up hosting an Olympics for a long time.

I've been on SSC since 2006, SSP and various other forums even longer, by far. Sure they can get heated in terms of debate but this forum really takes the cake in outright PMS-style anal-retentive pointless b!tchiness.

I should have clarified, my post was in response to the previous posts, not to Lord David's last post.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've also been on SSC, & I know for a fact that we're amateurs here than they are over there when it comes to being snarky & pointless bitching here. But to quote Quaker, who quotes Baron, some on here have a knack of bringing out the best, or the worst, in us. Especially the ones who like to throw stones in glass houses. But anyway, let's get this thread back on track like Lord David tried to do, instead of diverting it further.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've also been on SSC, & I know for a fact that we're amateurs here than they are over there when it comes to being snarky & pointless bitching here. But to quote Quaker, who quotes Baron, some on here have a knack of bringing out the best, or the worst, in us. Especially the ones who like to throw stones in glass houses. But anyway, let's get this thread back on track like Lord David tried to do, instead of diverting it further.

Amen to that...

Maybe NYC is not interested for 2024 but maybe for 2028? Let the sucker who loses 2024 go first then come with a strong 2028 bid which includes all the sporting venues built since the failed 2012 bid (especially major arenas) and the new Aqueduct Convention Center. But if they're really disinterested, they'll probably never end up hosting an Olympics for a long time.

I've brought this up here before.. New York is a city. It's not a person with feelings and interests and desires. The reason New York isn't in the mix for the 2024 Olympics is because no one in the city, be it a person or a corporation or a government entity, has stepped up and said they have a vision for a New York Olympics. That happened for 2012 and yes, even though it made sense at times, it wasn't destined to be and at the end wound up being a dismal failure. But that's what cities like Los Angeles and Boston and Philadelphia and Dallas have going for them. They have people who can envision an Olympics in those cities and believe they can build a master plan of economic development that includes an Olympics bid.

Now can someone in New York enter the picture that has that vision just like Dan Doctoroff did back in the 90s? That's what needs to happen for New York to get "interested" in the Olympics. And maybe that does happen sometime in the next 4 years. But that's easier said than done, for New York or any city. It comes back to the issue that these cities always face.. how do they plan to bid for an event more than a decade into the future with no guarantee that they'll actually get it, and more importantly, to fund and support that effort without the type of help that all these other countries are offering to their prospective bid cities. That's what the USOC is always going to be up against. And where you have a city like New York that has sunk billions upon billions of dollars into sports facilities that they know will have a very specific purpose for years to come, how do you sell a plan to spend billions more if it's not going to come as a benefit to the city? Until that happens, there can be no New York Olympics bid.

I've thought about ways that San Francisco might bid for 2024. One possibility might be to center the games on Treasure Island, which is within city limits. A development plan there recently fell through, and there is a lot of space for redevelopment. A track and field stadium with mostly temporary stands could be built on the island, and the legacy would be an Olympic park that would include the track and a small legacy stadium, new housing for the village, and transportation infrastructure. Attendees and athletes could be hauled via ferries that would run between the island and the Ferry Building, with easy access to BART, Muni Metro lines, and the new Transbay Terminal. This would be a magnificent setting for the games, with the bay and the sf skyline in the backdrop.

I've thought about ways that San Francisco might bid for 2024. One possibility might be to center the games on Treasure Island, which is within city limits. A development plan there recently fell through, and there is a lot of space for redevelopment. A track and field stadium with mostly temporary stands could be built on the island, and the legacy would be an Olympic park that would include the track and a small legacy stadium, new housing for the village, and transportation infrastructure. Attendees and athletes could be hauled via ferries that would run between the island and the Ferry Building, with easy access to BART, Muni Metro lines, and the new Transbay Terminal. This would be a magnificent setting for the games, with the bay and the sf skyline in the backdrop.

If you're going to put an Olympic Stadium there, they'd have to be prepared to transport 80,000 or so people (probably a lot more the days of the ceremonies, and add to that if there are other venues) to and from the island. That seems like more than a few ferries and the 1 road going to/from the island can handle. I believe they were going to have the sailing venue there as proposed in the 2016 bid. Anything more than that would be tough.

Not gonna happen. Completely unrealistic. They've built the new 68,000 49ers stadium in Santa Clara at a confluence of THREE (3), count'em THREE freeways...and u're going to build an 80,000 seater in an island with only one land access to it...and adding ferries (which idea the IOC shot down in the NYC 2012 bid)? R u nuts?? :blink:

Archived