USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The USOC might not be talking, other than they're talking to "a handful of cities" (but most news sources usually round up a small list of cities), but the cities themselves are talking.

We know that Los Angeles, Boston, Dallas, Philadelphia & San Diego have expressed interest & have at least put together preliminary committees to examine the process further. So that's "a handful of cities" right there.

I wonder if the IOC's rejection of NY & Chicago might be them doing the same to the US as they did to the UK with Brum & Manchester. Basically saying 'look, we don't mind you as the country bidding, but it's London or nothing if you want to win'. Obviously, replacing London with LA. I still say that although there are many American cities that could & would put on great games, LA is the only one that could win a bid. (Possibly SF at a push if they could get their act together)

LA is the only one that could win a bid.

Totally disagree. I don't even think it's (LA's) the most enticing option. The analogy with the UK and London is chalk and cheese.

Apart from the background of IOC-USOC tensions about the proposed USOC Olympic TV network and other revenue sharing matters, what's so hard to grasp about the idea that Rio was just more of an intoxicating and appealing location than Rio, and NYC shot itself in the foot when its stadium plan fell apart? Not to mention the US had already just hosted four games within a 20 year span? There's plenty of reasons you could put forward for NYCs and Chicago's losses, but I really don't think it was because the IOC is hanging out for LA is one of them.

Totally disagree. I don't even think it's (LA's) the most enticing option. The analogy with the UK and London is chalk and cheese.

Apart from the background of IOC-USOC tensions about the proposed USOC Olympic TV network and other revenue sharing matters, what's so hard to grasp about the idea that Rio was just more of an intoxicating and appealing location than Rio, and NYC shot itself in the foot when its stadium plan fell apart? Not to mention the US had already just hosted four games within a 20 year span? There's plenty of reasons you could put forward for NYCs and Chicago's losses, but I really don't think it was because the IOC is hanging out for LA is one of them.

Right, not to mention that if you had to choose just one "first city" in the USA, it would certainly be New York, not LA.

I wonder if the IOC's rejection of NY & Chicago might be them doing the same to the US as they did to the UK with Brum & Manchester. Obviously, replacing London with LA. I still say that although there are many American cities that could & would put on great games, LA is the only one that could win a bid.

No, not in the very least. First all of, our London is New York, not L.A. Had the last two U.S. bids been from places like Minneapolis & San Diego, then you could have a point. But that's not the case here.

And I can't picture L.A. "obviously" winning UNLESS they put up a top-notch bid like London did. And even then, I wouldn't put it in the 'obvious' category. The U.K. & U.S. scenarios are as different as night & day. New York's 2012 bid was half-assed, & Chicago's 2016 bid suffered geopolitically.

I don't picture a scenario where the IOC is in a big rush to return to L.A. so quickly. If L.A. does indeed wind up bidding, it better be one heck of a bid, bcuz just the Hollywood sign & Venice beach ain't gonna cut it.

Dallas will be eliminated from the list when the USOC has to travel on I-635.

[sarcasm]Right, because Los Angeles has no travel/traffic issues to deal with. Neither did Atlanta. No, not an issue for them at all. But sure, Dallas can make it past the starting gate because of I-635.[/sarcasm]

I wonder if the IOC's rejection of NY & Chicago might be them doing the same to the US as they did to the UK with Brum & Manchester. Basically saying 'look, we don't mind you as the country bidding, but it's London or nothing if you want to win'. Obviously, replacing London with LA. I still say that although there are many American cities that could & would put on great games, LA is the only one that could win a bid. (Possibly SF at a push if they could get their act together)

What FYI said. Great Britain (as well as Japan and probably a couple of other countries) really only have 1 main city that has any legit chance at landing a Summer Olympics. Countries like Australia and Spain and Germany, among others, have 2. The United States has more than that. There's at least 3 or 4 cities that have a shot. So no, the IOC's rejection of New York and Chicago in those specific races, regardless of what it resulted in, is not an indictment against those cities that they aren't nor will ever be suitable Olympic hosts. The mere fact that Atlanta won, even in the type of race they were a part of, is proof of that.

To clarify, I guess the part that seems different to me is that they're not disclosing who the cities they're working are. In the past, I seem to recall much discussion of that, including press surrounding the USOC's visits to the cities, etc. But maybe I'm not remembering that right?

The big difference now is that what used to be very open bidding where cities presented themselves to the USOC, it's now a more calculated process. It's no longer open season for bidders, so the USOC probably isn't going to be as open about who is bidding, because at any moment they could wind up saying "thanks, but no thanks" to 1 or more cities. So where you have a city like Boston making headlines about their Olympic aspirations, whereas before they were free to present themselves to the USOC, now it's a case where that can't happen unless the USOC wants them to present themselves.

/\/\ And all of the discussions now, winnowing down, etc.,etc, ALL depends (Am surprised they aren't a USOC sponsor yet-- :lol: ) on whether the USOC may decide to bid. I think it's going to come down to one quick Executive Committee Emergency meeting like a week before the deadline...whether it's a go or not. And even that is only the early Intent-to-Bid stage where they could still withdraw depending on the cards Durban, RSA presents. (ANd so that's why all discussions, I believe, are NOT open to public consumption and comment.) It could still fold any minute...and maybe restart for 2028 or not at all.

/\/\ And all of the discussions now, winnowing down, etc.,etc, ALL depends (Am surprised they aren't a USOC sponsor yet-- :lol: ) on whether the USOC may decide to bid. I think it's going to come down to one quick Executive Committee Emergency meeting like a week before the deadline...whether it's a go or not. And even that is only the early Intent-to-Bid stage where they could still withdraw depending on the cards Durban, RSA presents. (ANd so that's why all discussions, I believe, are NOT open to public consumption and comment.) It could still fold any minute...and maybe restart for 2028 or not at all.

Exactly. My view on this hasn't changed at all.. I think the USOC is going to identify the 1 city they believe is the most capable of winning, they're going to prepare that city to go into battle, but they're going to be very clear that at any point, they could pull the plug if they don't think it's wise to bid. Which is exactly why this isn't all out in the open. Last thing they need is for the headline to read "Boston to bid for 2024 Olympics" when that's not actually the case.

I think they'd be silly to go for 2024. Unlike Toronto, US don't need to build crediblility, they can afford to only bid when they have a big chance to win. 2024 is surely Europe or Durban, so whereas Toronto may want to bid in an unlikely race to prime themselves for 28/32, the US wouldn't need this, especially since they tend to change city each time. Save it up, and go allout for USA 2028 :)

[sarcasm]Right, because Los Angeles has no travel/traffic issues to deal with. Neither did Atlanta. No, not an issue for them at all. But sure, Dallas can make it past the starting gate because of I-635.[/sarcasm]

I wasn't serious.

However, if Dallas feels that they have a shot, they have to speed up on construction and infrastructure projects. You won't go 10 miles without seeing road construction that has been going on since the first Dubya Bush term.

And the facilities are spread out. The opening ceremonies, soccer games and (if it returns to the Olympics) baseball would be in Arlington, Texas. Basketball would be in Dallas and there would be Olympic sports in Frisco and Fort Worth.

Also, Dallas could run into a quandry on where to have the track and field events. They have few options. They can try and see if AT&T Stadium can host track and field (which I don't think it could, although I could easily see it host swimming), they can try and see if they can remove 20,000 to 30,000 seats in the Cotton Bowl and try to force fit a track in there or build a track stadium from scratch. Or they can see if The University of Texas in Arlington is willing to expand their small stadium by 30,000 as they have the only main track and field event in the area.

Actually, would it be that spread out? My impression was that Dallas was to use the land in Fair Park and the Cotton Bowl to create a fairly compact bid. But I could be misinformed.

Selfishly, the idea of a Dallas Olympics is quite exciting to me as I could go there and have people to stay with. Realistically, I do not think the USOC will select Dallas. The only way I could see them ever choosing Dallas is if the Fair Park/Cotton Bowl plan presents a significantly more compact bid option than anywhere else (unlikely).

Also, Dallas could run into a quandry on where to have the track and field events. They have few options. They can try and see if AT&T Stadium can host track and field (which I don't think it could, although I could easily see it host swimming), they can try and see if they can remove 20,000 to 30,000 seats in the Cotton Bowl and try to force fit a track in there or build a track stadium from scratch. Or they can see if The University of Texas in Arlington is willing to expand their small stadium by 30,000 as they have the only main track and field event in the area.

You know what other city will run into a similar quandry?.. All of them. Including Los Angeles because it's not like they have an athletics venue either. From what I understand, the folks in Dallas that are working towards an Olympics are targeting Fair Park as the center of action. And there's a decent amount of room around the field at the Cotton Bowl, so I don't think it would be that impossible to put a track in there. That's the advantage Dallas could have over the other potential bid cities.. they already have 2 large scale stadiums, so they can afford to do extensive work to 1 of them and not have to worry about displacing whatever teams or events are already there. Contrast that with Boston or Philadelphia which would probably have to build such a stadium from scratch and then figure out how to make use of it after the Olympics. New York had the right idea. Chicago, not so much. So if that's a quandry in Dallas, it's an even bigger quandry elsewhere.

Why would you move the State Fair? Surely after an Olympics the legacy left for Fair Park would make for an even better State Fair? Dallas could look to the legacy of the 2000 Olympics here, Sydney Olympic Park's Royal Easter Show (which is basically NSW's State Fair) is the largest annual event held there - making use of many of the former spaces and venues from Sydney 2000.

Well there's your answer right there! They moved Sydney's Royal Showgrounds to Homebush from it's former location. A new State Fair site for Dallas can serve an Olympics as well as being a legacy of a much larger venue.

Sydney's former Showgrounds site was converted to an entertainment precinct for the city.

It maybe a bit controversial and have it's deterrents, but it can work and Sydney proved it.

I agree with this.

Hopefully with this (fairly new) administration in Dallas City Hall, they can actually get along with the County Commissioners office and with each other. That was a major problem a decade ago.

Unfortunately, the always divisive John Wiley Price is still one of the County Commissioners. He does not get along with anybody.

Also, there is no way that Jerry Jones isn't going to allow his stadium to not be the main site for a Dallas Olympics. He will want his stadium to host the ceremonies as well as the soccer games, possible basketball and swimming and others. His stadium will not play second fiddle to the Cotton Bowl in a Dallas Olympics.

Archived