USA 2024

Athensfan

Well, in my opinion, the USA should bow out of 2024 right now.

It seems utterly foolish to try to defeat Europe when they will already have gone two cycles without hosting. Plus the specter of Africa still looms.

I just don't see it happening.

Here's my prediction:

Europe 2024

Africa 2028

North America 2032

And in case anyone is wondering, I still think an American Winter bid is a pretty lousy idea because it will virtually guarantee that Canada will nab the next North American Summer Games, leaving the US waiting who knows how long.

Extremely disappointing all the way around.

I really like this idea, who would the US bid with? DC?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in my opinion, the USA should bow out of 2024 right now.

It seems utterly foolish to try to defeat Europe when they will already have gone two cycles without hosting. Plus the specter of Africa still looms.

I just don't see it happening.

I don't think the USOC needs to do that stark of an about face. I'm sure the rhetoric with the cities they've been talking to is that there's no guarantee of a bid. Obviously with Tokyo's win, the sensibility of a bid has just gone down. They can hear out these cities and still operate as if they're considering a bid, but this is why if there are cities out there they know don't have a shot, then yes, those cities need to be cut off sooner rather than later.

I don't quite understand why the US should not bid. I understand that Europe's chances for hosting has gone up due to 2020, however, since 2002 North America has only hosted 2 WOG's while Europe has held 2 SOG's and 1 WOG during the same time. It will have been only 12 years since London and 14 since Vancouver, 22 since Salt Lake and 28 since Atlanta. I understand Europe has about 50 countries and N.A. only has 2 viable countries, but Why Europe first?

Hmmmmm. Unless the "last major capital in Europe never to have hosted the Games" stumps up again, Europe might have an unexpected handicap - all the most likely bidders like Paris, Rome and Berlin would be vying to be repeat hosters straight after another repeat hoster.

There's the Durban question, of course, but even then I think North America's chances for 2024 might be better than many think.

I don't quite understand why the US should not bid. I understand that Europe's chances for hosting has gone up due to 2020, however, since 2002 North America has only hosted 2 WOG's while Europe has held 2 SOG's and 1 WOG during the same time. It will have been only 12 years since London and 14 since Vancouver, 22 since Salt Lake and 28 since Atlanta. I understand Europe has about 50 countries and N.A. only has 2 viable countries, but Why Europe first?

I forgot about Sochi. So that would be 2 each of WOG's and SOG's. making it only 10 since the last European Games.

Well, the door to host the 2024 edition is now wide open. A North American city could be a favorable next destination for it, while there will always have an European nation wanting it, too.

The IOC is a European-centric organization. They have no qualms about favoring Europe over other continents. Combine that with a lack of a compelling candidate from North America and that's why Europe is looking good for 2024 (aside from Africa if they're in the race). Keep in mind also.. Asia will now have hosted 2 Summer Olympics since the last one in North America and 3 times in the last 9 Olympics where North America has only gotten 1. So continents aren't always distributed evenly.

Hmmmmm. Unless the "last major capital in Europe never to have hosted the Games" stumps up again, Europe might have an unexpected handicap - all the most likely bidders like Paris, Rome and Berlin would be vying to be repeat hosters straight after another repeat hoster.

There's the Durban question, of course, but even then I think North America's chances for 2024 might be better than many think.

I don't see that as a handicap. Paris hosted 100 years prior. Berlin was 88 years prior in what, for all intents and purposes, might as well have been a different country. Maybe the repeater argument holds a little weight for Rome at only 64 years, but this is where we on GB might be over-thinking this one. I can't imagine too many IOC voters saying "well Tokyo is hosting their 2nd games, so maybe we need to shy away from another former host for 2024"

I don't see that as a handicap. Paris hosted 100 years prior. Berlin was 88 years prior in what, for all intents and purposes, might as well have been a different country. Maybe the repeater argument holds a little weight for Rome at only 64 years, but this is where we on GB might be over-thinking this one. I can't imagine too many IOC voters saying "well Tokyo is hosting their 2nd games, so maybe we need to shy away from another former host for 2024"

Don't underestimate the fact that many IOCers are as big Olympic geeks as we are. I don't say it's a bid-breaker, but I'd bet you it will have influence and will be brought up.

^Ar the same time, though, you're painting that Europe would be without a Games for 16 years by the time 2028 rolls around. I can't see that happening unless its for a true, compelling candidate like South Africa. Or even if ambiguous Istanbul tries again for 2024, I'd say there odds are good there, too.

Aside from the Spanish here, the only others here that wanted a Madrid win were mainly the North Americans, cuz they wanted to see Europe definitely knocked out for 2024 so their respective favorite bids would have a much better chance.

Quite frankly, I'm starting to think the US should sit 2024 out. I'd also like to see them sideline 2026 plans and set sights on 2028.

Perhaps Chicago sitting out 2024 is a blessing in disguise - maybe they could be pressured to step up for 2028 once 2009 is less raw (i sensed it still was when they made the decision to sit out 2024).

2020 - Tokyo

2024 - South Africa/Paris

2028 - US

This would also work well in terms of getting Munich in 2022 and perhaps going to Central Asia (Almaty?) in 2026.

Quite frankly, I'm starting to think the US should sit 2024 out. I'd also like to see them sideline 2026 plans and set sights on 2028.

Perhaps Chicago sitting out 2024 is a blessing in disguise - maybe they could be pressured to step up for 2028 once 2009 is less raw (i sensed it still was when they made the decision to sit out 2024).

2020 - Tokyo

2024 - South Africa/Paris

2028 - US

This would also work well in terms of getting Munich in 2022 and perhaps going to Central Asia (Almaty?) in 2026.

Chicago 2028 sound really good, but what if 2024 comes down to Durban and Roma? I have no doubt one of them would bid for 2028.

From my vantage point, the next three games will be hosted in Europe, North America, and a new frontier such as South Africa or Istanbul. The big question is: in what order?

Considering how the IOC has never gone more than 12 years without a European games, Europe does seem most likely for 2024. But we have to consider what "Europe" would mean: Paris, who seems to not want them at the moment? Madrid/Istanbul, who've failed multiple times, who are possibly unwanted altogether, and/or who might give up? Berlin, who might not bid if Munich wins 2022? St Petersburg, eight years after Sochi? Really, Rome seems like the best Euro bet but they haven't exactly done well in recent bids. So if the bids don't line up, maybe a European SOG in 2024 isn't as much of a slam dunk as we think.

Then there's "South Africa," which seems to be code for Durban. I remain skeptical that the IOC would give the games to that particular South African city. Cape Town is swankier and one of the most naturally beautiful cities in the world. It's also better known worldwide, which adds a little comfort to ease the fear of the first African Olympics. With a few minor exceptions (Atlanta comes to mind-- no offense Atlantans-- and some of the early hosts before there was as much interest in the Games), the SOG have always been held in major world cities. Durban just doesn't seem to be on that level, if you ask me.

And as for North America, there really only seem to be a few options: Toronto, which would be 14 years after Vancouver, or major US cities that Europeans enjoy visiting (NY, LA, SF definitely; I remain skeptical on Chicago and wonder if Dallas--if it pulls the Wild West card-- could be intriguing enough). If the USOC could convince one of those premier US cities to bid, then I think that they and corporate sponsors might be able to strongarm the IOC because, at some point, US-based sponsors will surely insist on another American games.

So what happens first? I think it comes down to whether Europe or the US has a bigger name bid. Whichever continent loses will probably get 2028 purely due to time lapse since its last SOG. That means that South Africa might have to wait...

The US has a pretty slim chance for 2024 but I don't think they're done for. Seems like since 2000 the IOC likes to switch off from a previous host city to a new city. Sydney-Athens, Beijing-London, etc. Perhaps we'll see Tokyo-New York something like that, but it's just a though. Regarding 2026 and 2028, if the US wants the 2026 games it's almost a given. The IOC isn't going to put them in Europe two games in a row, and I don't see them putting them back in Asia when that would be 2 out of the past 3 games there. 2028 is obviously not a given, but they have a much better chance then 2024. Very doubtful that any Asian or European city will get the games so it's left with North America and Africa. By 2028 most olympic capable cities in the US will probably need some renovations and possibly new sports venues. For example, Metlife Stadium opened in 2010, but seeing how quick stadiums come and go nowadays, some will probably be pushing for some type of renovation. If Canada bids with Toronto they'll also be a threat, but seeing how they seem to get the games for every 2 the US gets (1980, 1984, 1988…………..1996, 2002, 2010) I think it'll be the US's turn.

From my vantage point, the next three games will be hosted in Europe, North America, and a new frontier such as South Africa or Istanbul. The big question is: in what order?

Considering how the IOC has never gone more than 12 years without a European games, Europe does seem most likely for 2024. But we have to consider what "Europe" would mean: Paris, who seems to not want them at the moment? Madrid/Istanbul, who've failed multiple times, who are possibly unwanted altogether, and/or who might give up? Berlin, who might not bid if Munich wins 2022? St Petersburg, eight years after Sochi? Really, Rome seems like the best Euro bet but they haven't exactly done well in recent bids. So if the bids don't line up, maybe a European SOG in 2024 isn't as much of a slam dunk as we think.

Then there's "South Africa," which seems to be code for Durban. I remain skeptical that the IOC would give the games to that particular South African city. Cape Town is swankier and one of the most naturally beautiful cities in the world. It's also better known worldwide, which adds a little comfort to ease the fear of the first African Olympics. With a few minor exceptions (Atlanta comes to mind-- no offense Atlantans-- and some of the early hosts before there was as much interest in the Games), the SOG have always been held in major world cities. Durban just doesn't seem to be on that level, if you ask me.

And as for North America, there really only seem to be a few options: Toronto, which would be 14 years after Vancouver, or major US cities that Europeans enjoy visiting (NY, LA, SF definitely; I remain skeptical on Chicago and wonder if Dallas--if it pulls the Wild West card-- could be intriguing enough). If the USOC could convince one of those premier US cities to bid, then I think that they and corporate sponsors might be able to strongarm the IOC because, at some point, US-based sponsors will surely insist on another American games.

So what happens first? I think it comes down to whether Europe or the US has a bigger name bid. Whichever continent loses will probably get 2028 purely due to time lapse since its last SOG. That means that South Africa might have to wait...

No 2024 will come down to Europe or South Africa. The IOC has already expressed intentions to bring the games there and we would be going there for sure in 2024 if Rome had won today. Also Rome's last bid for 2004 tied with Athens in the end. They withdrew from 2020 because they could not get the PMs support.

The US has a pretty slim chance for 2024 but I don't think they're done for. Seems like since 2000 the IOC likes to switch off from a previous host city to a new city. Sydney-Athens, Beijing-London, etc. Perhaps we'll see Tokyo-New York something like that, but it's just a though. Regarding 2026 and 2028, if the US wants the 2026 games it's almost a given. The IOC isn't going to put them in Europe two games in a row, and I don't see them putting them back in Asia when that would be 2 out of the past 3 games there. 2028 is obviously not a given, but they have a much better chance then 2024. Very doubtful that any Asian or European city will get the games so it's left with North America and Africa. By 2028 most olympic capable cities in the US will probably need some renovations and possibly new sports venues. For example, Metlife Stadium opened in 2010, but seeing how quick stadiums come and go nowadays, some will probably be pushing for some type of renovation. If Canada bids with Toronto they'll also be a threat, but seeing how they seem to get the games for every 2 the US gets (1980, 1984, 1988…………..1996, 2002, 2010) I think it'll be the US's turn.

I think the USOC has its sights set for a summer games so we may see two consecutive European games or China's first winter games.

If you're suggesting Rome 2024 / South Africa 2028 (or the reverse), I'll only believe that the US goes 36 years without a Summer Olympics when I see it.

Well we did not exactly impress the world in 1996 now did we? I also think that sense we got the biggest games of the twentieth century we should wait 36 years.

Tokyo's win wasn't the best option for both an American and Canadian bid but I think the USA will still put forth a bid for 2024. If the right city is chosen, a NA city can challenge a European one.

I think San Francisco or Dallas could win if created properly, but I'm open to whoever they pick. DC would not be bad either.

Archived