USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need a Stadium? Do you mean a refurbished stadium? I can't see them not using the 1932/84 venue for a third time. It is an Olympic icon.

As of June of this year the stadium's renovation proposal was approved. Previous renovation caused the track space to be covered by new seating(the light red seats closest to the field) but not completely lost. The new renovation will loose the space that could be used for a running track meaning that if LA wants to bid for the 2024 games they would either need to build a new stadium or renovated the stadium twice in 10 years.

Current Stadium: http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/california/los_angeles_memorial.shtml

Future Renovation: http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Pac12/USC/newindex.htm

Well so far DC looks like the first city planning something big, but i hope LA bids.

DC is far from the first city to be planning something big. And until we know what they're planning, we don't really know how big it is

They need a Stadium? Do you mean a refurbished stadium? I can't see them not using the 1932/84 venue for a third time. It is an Olympic icon.

If they use the Coliseum again, it could have a "been there, done that" feel to it unless there are major renovations to the stadium. There have been some plans thrown around, but nothing concrete, and nothing is really likely to happen until the city figures out what they're doing with Farmers Field, the potential new downtown NFL stadium.

I don't have the link hand, but part of the city's deal with USC and the Coliseum is that they can make whatever renovations they want, but they have to make the stadium available for Olympic use, including the provision for a running track which, as we know, is very anti-productive with regard to a standard football field.

Interesting- thanks for the info.

I feel that a third LA Olympics might be a bit soul less without it being a third Coliseum based Games. Sure, a renovation would be nice to distinctively set it apart from 1984. I think as a venue, it gives LA huge sentimental points above any other stadium. Unlike London, which used a different venue every time, LA could be special being home to the only venue used many times. Not even Athens boasts that.

Apart from San Diego and Boston, who both have announced similar planning committees. And Dallas too, I think.

Dallas has a website, but nothing on it, Boston is the only city out of those three that is somewhat on the same level of DC. San Diego has their pervert of a mayor to sort out now and sadly I don't think we will see a bid from them.

Interesting- thanks for the info.

I feel that a third LA Olympics might be a bit soul less without it being a third Coliseum based Games. Sure, a renovation would be nice to distinctively set it apart from 1984. I think as a venue, it gives LA huge sentimental points above any other stadium. Unlike London, which used a different venue every time, LA could be special being home to the only venue used many times. Not even Athens boasts that.

All Athens can boast of now is that they created new Greek ruins. I think what made London so special an unique is all the new venues. We have to remember that the venues used in 1984 were used to show a city could have an affordable games- we don't really need that now after Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, London, and Rio's success.

Dallas has a website, but nothing on it, Boston is the only city out of those three that is somewhat on the same level of DC. San Diego has their pervert of a mayor to sort out now and sadly I don't think we will see a bid from them.

What do you base this on? I only ask because you've only been posting on these forums for a little over a week now whereas the rest of us have been following all this news for more than a year now, well before the USOC sent out their letter to the cities (which Washington took over 6 months to respond to).

Don't go off what you see posted on the web or in social media. That's never a good gauge of how big or how prepared a city's organizing committee is.

just to play devil's advocate

i'm still not convince about DC. for me it's a security reason. DC is already a hot bed for terror threats and if you combine it with the high profile mega-sportfest, it turns into a clusterf*ck of security concerns. and combine it with participating countries that hate the US or hate other country, it might turn into a munich or an atlanta but ten times worst.

sure, we can get the military to help just like london. but with american know how and over-compensation, mo farah might be running with the marathon with an un-maned drone behind him and tom daley will driving with snippets aiming around the aquatic center

And let's remember that it's not as if LA is some sad consolation prize. The only strike against it is that it has hosted twice before with GREAT success. It's the entertainment capital of the world. Great weather. Great sports town with a huge fan base. Many existing venues.

Movie stars. Swimming pools.

i'm still not convince about DC. for me it's a security reason. DC is already a hot bed for terror threats and if you combine it with the high profile mega-sportfest, it turns into a clusterf*ck of security concerns. and combine it with participating countries that hate the US or hate other country, it might turn into a munich or an atlanta but ten times worst.

sure, we can get the military to help just like london. but with american know how and over-compensation, mo farah might be running with the marathon with an un-maned drone behind him and tom daley will driving with snippets aiming around the aquatic center

The level of security will be the same as what we saw in London (which also has to deal with Islamist terror threats) and that will be enough. It's sad that that level of security is necessary but the Olympics itself is a "legitimate" target now, so every Games be it London, Rio or DC will have extremely tight security. I don't think having the White House etc. nearby adds anything operationally to the DC security headache as surely that has its own permanent security bubble anyway. A DC Games will have to protect the venues and other gathering points and that's really no different from any other city that might host.

The concern I have with DC is that it just sounds....dull. I might be speaking out of turn because I don't know the place, but it just doesn't sound like an Olympic city to me. I don't associate anything with it apart from US politics. Speaking of which, Summer Games fall only months before US Elections. It's why Obama wasn't in London whilst other Heads of State were. Are we going to want a Games in this city in the period building up to a US election....I mean we don't want one billion dollar circus upstaging another do we?

The level of security will be the same as what we saw in London (which also has to deal with Islamist terror threats) and that will be enough. It's sad that that level of security is necessary but the Olympics itself is a "legitimate" target now, so every Games be it London, Rio or DC will have extremely tight security. I don't think having the White House etc. nearby adds anything operationally to the DC security headache as surely that has its own permanent security bubble anyway. A DC Games will have to protect the venues and other gathering points and that's really no different from any other city that might host.

The concern I have with DC is that it just sounds....dull. I might be speaking out of turn because I don't know the place, but it just doesn't sound like an Olympic city to me. I don't associate anything with it apart from US politics.

1. Agree. A place like DC will probably be in a better place security-wise because it is the capital.

2. This not in favor or against any bid, but it appears dull because the focus most see is on the political side of it. I have a been few times and have been there when there have when the have been festivals going on. It can take on quite a fun atmosphere.

I don't worry about security too much with DC. It's an A+ security risk today. I don't think adding the Olympics changes that much. The good news is that DC already has all the security apparatus in place. DC has problmes - Congress, weather, etc. But security isn't any worse an issue than other cities will face.

The concern I have with DC is that it just sounds....dull.

That's the other thing. On a lofty level, having all the world-famous DC landmarks for one's photo opps is great! But once the sun comes down, where are the party zones? The diplomatic neighborhoods and gov't bldgs will be SHUT DOWN and blocked off. So the innocent and the terrorists are left with Georgetown and will have to go as far away as Baltimore, Alexandria and Annapolis to party?? :wacko:

That's the other thing. On a lofty level, having all the world-famous DC landmarks for one's photo opps is great! But once the sun comes down, where are the party zones? The diplomatic neighborhoods and gov't bldgs will be SHUT DOWN and blocked off. So the innocent and the terrorists are left with Georgetown and will have to go as far away as Baltimore, Alexandria and Annapolis to party?? :wacko:

Well the Mall would be one huge place. It would essentially be a two mile long party zone between the Washington Monument and the Capitol. Then there's the the Ellipse in front of the South Lawn of the White House. These don't close and I sure there are dozens of parks and open greens that can be used for party sites. I'm sure there would be sites around George Washington, Howard, and American Universities as well and some of the more relevant museums would probably stay open a bit later. There are clubs and bars and restaurants that would be open. And while Annapolis and Baltimore are farther afield and would have there own sites, Alexandria and Arlington are really not that far, just across the river and easily accessible by foot, car, bus or Metro.

Pssst... Baron.... lots of places to play in DC. You've never been there, have you?

What do you base this on? I only ask because you've only been posting on these forums for a little over a week now whereas the rest of us have been following all this news for more than a year now, well before the USOC sent out their letter to the cities (which Washington took over 6 months to respond to).

Don't go off what you see posted on the web or in social media. That's never a good gauge of how big or how prepared a city's organizing committee is.

I have been following this board since around London, while it's definitely not as long as most people on here I know a bit. As DC and Boston on the same level I am referring to the fact that their websites have information on them; not the size or scope of their committees. I guess I could count Tulsa but that's a BS bid that I don't want to bring up.

You could say the same for NYC or LA. Nations compete that dislike each other all the time...your argument makes no sense.

I have been following this board since around London, while it's definitely not as long as most people on here I know a bit. As DC and Boston on the same level I am referring to the fact that their websites have information on them; not the size or scope of their committees. I guess I could count Tulsa but that's a BS bid that I don't want to bring up.

You could say the same for NYC or LA. Nations compete that dislike each other all the time...your argument makes no sense.

You know what they say about living in glass houses....

DC is freighted with more political baggage than any other American city because it's the seat of the capitol. It does up the ante in that department. While a terror attack is possible anywhere at any time, it is difficult to imagine that such an innately politicized location would not provoke a more political approach to the Games and could, conceivably invite trouble.

Regardless, I think DC's heavily political atmosphere is totally out of tune with the spirit of the Olympic Movement. Yes, Paris and London are capitals, but they have much more to recommend them than government. DC doesn't.

If you're reading much of anything into who has a website or which cities have the most followers on social media, you're going to get a very inaccurate picture of the potential bid cities. Some cities are certainly more forthcoming with information than others, but I wouldn't dismiss those that aren't telling us as much, particularly a city like Dallas which was working on this well before the USOC started talking to cities.

If you're reading much of anything into who has a website or which cities have the most followers on social media, you're going to get a very inaccurate picture of the potential bid cities. Some cities are certainly more forthcoming with information than others, but I wouldn't dismiss those that aren't telling us as much, particularly a city like Dallas which was working on this well before the USOC started talking to cities.

Oh definitely I have a feeling Dallas is going to have something big.

Well, in my opinion, the USA should bow out of 2024 right now.

It seems utterly foolish to try to defeat Europe when they will already have gone two cycles without hosting. Plus the specter of Africa still looms.

I just don't see it happening.

Here's my prediction:

Europe 2024

Africa 2028

North America 2032

And in case anyone is wondering, I still think an American Winter bid is a pretty lousy idea because it will virtually guarantee that Canada will nab the next North American Summer Games, leaving the US waiting who knows how long.

Extremely disappointing all the way around.

Archived