USA 2024

Athensfan

DC is a nice city, but it shouldn't host the olympics. No professional sports teams or colleges are looking for a new stadium, and I don't think anyone is willing to pay for a temporary one. And those are just some of the problems regarding the actual olympic plan. This doesn't mention security risks, funding, and a major negative(my personal view) the summer heat.

DC United is actually still in a long and notable search for a stadium; even though they might have a chance to finally get one soon, that can also go sideways for them like deals in the past have as well.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC United is actually still in a long and notable search for a stadium; even though they might have a chance to finally get one soon, that can also go sideways for them like deals in the past have as well.

DC United reached a tentative deal for a new stadium with some sort of redevelopment plan for the area as well. Similar to the Nationals and their new ballpark. But even if they weren't getting a new stadium, building an olympic stadium then downsizing it for a team that averages less then 15,000 people per game sounds silly.

DC is a nice city, but it shouldn't host the olympics. No professional sports teams or colleges are looking for a new stadium, and I don't think anyone is willing to pay for a temporary one. And those are just some of the problems regarding the actual olympic plan. This doesn't mention security risks, funding, and a major negative(my personal view) the summer heat.

Wouldn't be too sure about that.. Virginia Gov. Ready To Start A Bidding War For New Redskins Stadium?

1. What are they planning on being Oly stadium? The on in Landover, Maryland or the new one in Virginia? So, therefore, ground zero wouldn't be in DC proper.

2. Ideally, they should have the Metro stations beside major venues. Are they? If not, is there enuf empty land beside major Metro stations to accommodate the new or temporary venues?

Re the climate, DC is horrible in the summer. If I were on the IOC, I wouldn't vote for DC if only for the HORRIBLE summer heat and humidity -- even worse than Atlanta.

1. What are they planning on being Oly stadium? The on in Landover, Maryland or the new one in Virginia? So, therefore, ground zero wouldn't be in DC proper.

2. Ideally, they should have the Metro stations beside major venues. Are they? If not, is there enuf empty land beside major Metro stations to accommodate the new or temporary venues?

Re the climate, DC is horrible in the summer. If I were on the IOC, I wouldn't vote for DC if only for the HORRIBLE summer heat and humidity -- even worse than Atlanta.

Here's some actual data to support that claim.. and completely prove it false (I left a bunch of other cities in here for reference, Atlanta and Washington are bolded)... Average Relative Humidity in July at US Cities

Average Relative Humidity (%) in July Daily City Morning Afternoon 74 Atlanta, Georgia 89 58 69 Baltimore, Maryland 84 53 68 Boston, Massachusetts 80 58 72 Charlotte, North Carolina 86 55 69 Chicago, Illinois 82 54 70 Cleveland, Ohio 85 56 60 Dallas, Texas 81 42 74 Houston, Texas 93 55 21 Las Vegas, Nevada 29 15 77 Los Angeles, California 86 68 75 Miami, Florida 86 66 65 Minneapolis, Minnesota 80 50 79 New Orleans, Louisiana 92 66 64 New York, New York 75 53 70 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 85 54 75 San Diego, California 82 66 73 San Francisco, California 86 59 65 Seattle, Washington 81 49 67 Washington, DC 80 53

Average temperature is a few degrees cooler in DC during the summer than in Atlanta as well

Here's some actual data to support that claim.. and completely prove it false (I left a bunch of other cities in here for reference, Atlanta and Washington are bolded)... Average Relative Humidity in July at US Cities

Average Relative Humidity (%) in July Daily City Morning Afternoon 74 Atlanta, Georgia 89 58 69 Baltimore, Maryland 84 53 68 Boston, Massachusetts 80 58 72 Charlotte, North Carolina 86 55 69 Chicago, Illinois 82 54 70 Cleveland, Ohio 85 56 60 Dallas, Texas 81 42 74 Houston, Texas 93 55 21 Las Vegas, Nevada 29 15 77 Los Angeles, California 86 68 75 Miami, Florida 86 66 65 Minneapolis, Minnesota 80 50 79 New Orleans, Louisiana 92 66 64 New York, New York 75 53 70 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 85 54 75 San Diego, California 82 66 73 San Francisco, California 86 59 65 Seattle, Washington 81 49 67 Washington, DC 80 53

Average temperature is a few degrees cooler in DC during the summer than in Atlanta as well

I speak from experience when I say watching a sporting event in the DC summer are some of the worst hours of my life. 100+ heat in the late afternoon. I've never been to Atlanta so I can't talk from experience but a DC summer is unbearable (no offense to anyone from DC).

That would want to replace a stadium that's not even 30 years old? Does money grow on trees for them?

... to throw in my two pennies worth:

First of all I wonder if the US-members of the IOC are interested in voting for Istanbul or Madrid, to get Europe out of the race for 2024...

but now back to an US-bid for 2024 itself:

Of course it is not a question if the USA is capable to host Summer Olympics. It is more the question with which city have the USA the biggest chance to win the international competition about Olympics. This international competition is getting tougher and tougher - no country in the world can be sure if it is selected - no matter how often it hosted in the past nor how often it bidded unsuccessfully in the recent years...

Furthermore it is important which other cities are bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics. Cities, which have the reputation to be global cities, will have an advantage against metropolises, which don't have the air to be a global city. And there is a sport-political approach: does the IOC want to reach new frontiers...

For me it is very important that the Olympics aren't too torn all over the city - it must have a heart, which is formed by at least three venues for major sports (the more the better)...

My personal ranking for an US 2024 bid:

San Francisco

Boston

Chicago

New York

Washington D.C.

Houston

Seattle

Dallas

Los Angeles

CAF, so sad to see the lack of love for LA. You really prefer DC, Houston, Seattle, Dallas? I can see where everybody has their own taste and I can understand how San Francisco, Chicago (a confirmed non-candidate) or New York might appeal to someone else more than LA, but the others really surprise me.

As for 2020, I would be very surprised if Easton, DeFrantz and Ruggiero aren't praying "anyone but Tokyo, anyone but Tokyo...."

1. This is just an assumption on my part but I assume they want to put it over the same spot as RFK is now already. It would probably go to the Redskins NFL team. And it looks like they would have room.

2. Actually the metro is pretty good. It just would need to be upgraded. But as far as the system itself it pretty good.

3. Yes it is. And I say this as some whose been to DC multiple times as it's my favorite getaway spot. Earlier in the summer DC is gorgeous, but at the timeframe when most Games are held it is ridiculous.

CAF, so sad to see the lack of love for LA. You really prefer DC, Houston, Seattle, Dallas? I can see where everybody has their own taste and I can understand how San Francisco, Chicago (a confirmed non-candidate) or New York might appeal to someone else more than LA, but the others really surprise me.

I just think that the USA have more cities than Los Angeles, which are capable to host - it's time for other US-cities

Well, I guess we'll have to see if they really are capable of hosting. That's the million dollar question. I understand that it seems like they SHOULD be, but what if LA really offers the best and most attractive bid package? Should it be ignored just because they hosted before? I'm not so sure.

To me it would be akin to Europe, with so many potential hosts, only ever pitching say London or Paris as candidate. Sure, they can (and London did) put on an excellent games, but there's so much more variety to Europe, as there is to the US. I'd find it very difficult to raise any enthusiasm for another LA pitch.

Well, I guess we'll have to see if they really are capable of hosting. That's the million dollar question. I understand that it seems like they SHOULD be, but what if LA really offers the best and most attractive bid package? Should it be ignored just because they hosted before? I'm not so sure.

No - of course not, but I hope that Los Angeles' bid plans for 2024 are not '1984 Episode II'...

If Los Angeles host a third time I would like to see something really new!

No - of course not, but I hope that Los Angeles' bid plans for 2024 are not '1984 Episode II'...

If Los Angeles host a third time I would like to see something really new!

I agree with you there. There's got to be some sort of exciting, transformative hook. A generic bid with good technical underpinnings won't cut it.

Well, LA could channel a bit of London. With their main venue in a region of the city that has faced issues not too different to East London - they could really focus on regenerating South LA while they're there. Improving PT would be a big drawcard too.

Perhaps having a zero car Olympics in LA would be an impressive feat for the city.

I just think that the USA have more cities than Los Angeles, which are capable to host - it's time for other US-cities

You know, I see several foreigners here say that. But for starters, cities have to be interested in bidding, to begin with. Can force one to bid. And second, when there are some "other" cities that do express interest, like Dallas, Boston or Philadelphia, most of those same members say, "oh, that x & y city won't cut it. The U.S. can do better than that". So which is it. It's like a damn if you do, or damn if you don't scenario when it comes to the U.S.

To me it would be akin to Europe, with so many potential hosts, only ever pitching say London or Paris as candidate. Sure, they can (and London did) put on an excellent games, but there's so much more variety to Europe, as there is to the US. I'd find it very difficult to raise any enthusiasm for another LA pitch.

But how many times have we heard that Europe is a continent with so many different countries, & the U.S. is only ONE country. The USOC can only put up one city at a time, when Europe can put up as many as they like, as long as they're from different countries. Yeah, I wouldn't want to see London again anyway. They just hosted last year & they've already hosted three times. I wouldn't mind seeing Los Angeles host again. I was a little kid when those Games took place & don't really remember anything from them. As long as they can put together a compelling package, I don't see why not.

This is how we continually come back to the big four: LA, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco. Those are the cities that, realistically, have the most international appeal. When push comes to shove, these other possibilities are all interesting to entertain (Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, San Diego, DC, Miami, Seattle), but the reality is that the only super exciting alternatives to LA are NYC, Chicago and San Francisco. Chicago is out. San Francisco is unlikely to get their act together. NYC is an unknown quantity, but as of now we have no reason to expect a bid. So when all is said and done, it's very possible that LA will be the best available option. To those international posters who say "There must be some other city." We have to ask, "Which one?" Chicago, of course, would be my pick, but if they won't bid, what can you do?

And let's remember that it's not as if LA is some sad consolation prize. The only strike against it is that it has hosted twice before with GREAT success. It's the entertainment capital of the world. Great weather. Great sports town with a huge fan base. Many existing venues.

They need a stadium, an aquatics center and a decent village. Plus, they've got to offer a radical revamp of the mass transportation. If that happens, LA has something.

Exactly, AF. It's like a vicious circle around here when it comes to capable U.S. bid cities. Dallas, Boston & Philadelphia "which are capable to host", but most of the international audience here doesn't get excited about them. And then after going through the Alpha list, Los Angeles is the only obvious one (aside from a flat no like Chicago, or not really knowing the true intentions of a city like NY or SF) that's still ready & willing to try & go at it again. One can only play with the deck of cards that one is dealt with.

And that's what makes all these speculation discussions go round and round in circles until they actually lodge a real bid. At which stage, we really start picking them apart.

Well so far DC looks like the first city planning something big, but i hope LA bids.

This is how we continually come back to the big four: LA, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco. Those are the cities that, realistically, have the most international appeal. When push comes to shove, these other possibilities are all interesting to entertain (Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, San Diego, DC, Miami, Seattle), but the reality is that the only super exciting alternatives to LA are NYC, Chicago and San Francisco. Chicago is out. San Francisco is unlikely to get their act together. NYC is an unknown quantity, but as of now we have no reason to expect a bid. So when all is said and done, it's very possible that LA will be the best available option. To those international posters who say "There must be some other city." We have to ask, "Which one?" Chicago, of course, would be my pick, but if they won't bid, what can you do?

And let's remember that it's not as if LA is some sad consolation prize. The only strike against it is that it has hosted twice before with GREAT success. It's the entertainment capital of the world. Great weather. Great sports town with a huge fan base. Many existing venues.

They need a stadium, an aquatics center and a decent village. Plus, they've got to offer a radical revamp of the mass transportation. If that happens, LA has something.

No doubt LA would be a great third time host and all those things you mentioned would really put them up there. Yet the question of the hour is how would US cities do up against new frontiers and Rome/Madrid/Paris?

Archived