USA 2024

Athensfan

Do you understand how insufferable this makes you sound when it's your reply to seemingly every NYC discussion (as if that's the only context you offer that up)? Why is it that almost every time someone surmises an opinion about a city (particularly about New York), you feel the need to tell us "we have to wait and see" or "we don't have enough evidence" or "how can you come to that conclusion"? No, I'm not going to wait and see. I have formed an opinion about New York with what I believe is a basis behind it. You say there isn't enough evidence to make a strong argument. Let me play devil's advocate on that one.. that lack of information IS an argument I can use to form an opinion. And your counter to my taking that position is that you're not taking a position. Enough.. it has long since gotten old.

Not ignoring that information at all. I'm using this to illustrate a point. Blackmun was very clear some cities don't want to be named. Well, 2 of the cities on my list are Boston and Dallas. Now I certainly can't prove they are 2 of the cities the USOC is talking to, but I'd call it a pretty good assumption that they are. Those "confidential" cities, especially Boston, are doing this very much out in the open. I know you've argued that maybe a city wouldn't want to be as forthcoming, but that's a big leap to jump all the way to where a city is planning and we hear absolutely nothing from them whatsoever. And to FYI's point.. it's very possible that the USOC could be talking to New York and trying to gauge their interest and hoping maybe they can light a spark that gets NYC interested for all the reasons we've brought up here before. Doesn't mean NYC is going to bite and once again, my argument is that if they were going to jump into the fray, we'd probably hear about it, just like we've heard from all those other cities I brought up.

We're still on different wavelengths on this one. Fine.. we both acknowledge that. But I know you understand that I'm offering up speculation and educated guesses here, yet you still feel the need to remind me that I'm guessing. I know that. If you don't want to speculate and want to go more on what we know, that's your prerogative. But please, for crying out loud, stop trying to tell us we don't have enough information to make an assertion. I'll be the judge of whether or not I have enough information to make an assertion. And if you don't like the opinion I hold, by all means argue against it. Don't argue against my position though by telling me you're choosing not to take a position and then tell me I don't have enough evidence to take that position. Again, we don't want to hear it from you anymore.

It sounds to me like you just dislike the truth: there isn't enough public information and we don't know what's happening. Insufferable or not, that's the reality.

Cook up all the opinions you want based on this non-information, but there's no point in chewing out BR for his extrapolations when yours involve just as much guesswork.

BR, I have to admit that FYI is right. You need to read more carefully and get some facts straight. Minneapolis has been mentioned repeatedly and even recently as having already given a firm "no."

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, there would be a few logistical problems. You do understand that the Summer Olympics are a once every 4 years event that the United States is probably lucky to get more than twice a century, right? It would probably take an entire millennium to get through cities that we wish could host. Unfortunately for Honolulu, they're relatively isolated in a tiny island chain thousands of miles from the mainland United States. They're not getting the Olympics anyone soon. Pretty sure that was baron being sarcastic there, much like earlier when he was talking about clearing out Midwtown Manhattan to use Central Park for an Olympic Stadium

Yes I understand. I just would like to see a bid come from them.

Actually...that should've been Plan A. Erect a temporary Olympic Stadium in the Great Lawn of CP. Maybe Weightlifting at the Delacorte? Fencing or Wrestling (if it returns) at the Met Museum. Think about those options, Lord David and BR!!

Actually that could make for an interesting bid. Similar to Chicago's Washington Park stadium, but it would put the event in the heart of the city.

Things change. Right now, lots of countries want to host. It hasn't always been that way in the past. It won't always be that way in the future.

Exactly! I think that mid-century the games will have been around the globe and there may not be such a large and diverse selection.

Things change. Right now, lots of countries want to host. It hasn't always been that way in the past. It won't always be that way in the future.

And yet when things weren't as "global" back then as they're becoming now, the U.S. only really had won ONE Summer Olympic bid in the over 100 years of the Modern Olympic movement at the time. And that was Atlanta 1996. Again, lets not forget that Los Angeles got both 1932 AND 1984 by default. And also look at how many times Detroit tried & lost in an era which should've been more favorable for U.S. summer bids.

Even after the Games currently make their "rotation" of all the continents, you're still gonna have the typical European contenders that have always competed for the Games. And by that time, Australia, China & South America will be wanting to host their next round of Games, as well. So I really don't see much "changing" either way regardless.

But still, they have become first-class extravaganzas that really only the G-12 countries can put on. Baku, Qatar, Dubai, Nigeria, etc....for all THEIR money (throw in non-starters too like Venezuela, Iran, Indonesia, etc.) will NOT get these Games.

Basic criteria: safe countries of at least 40-50 million people; a temperate geography; a sophisticated, humane society with civil laws; obviously a prosperous economy and a sport-loving culture that can field some strong teams, and will benefit and use the nearly 30 venues that a 21st century Olympic Games require and leave behind. I can think of only 10 or 11 nations that fit that bill--from which a Summer Olympics, a Winter Games and a World Cup hostings will also rotate.

It sounds to me like you just dislike the truth: there isn't enough public information and we don't know what's happening. Insufferable or not, that's the reality.

Cook up all the opinions you want based on this non-information, but there's no point in chewing out BR for his extrapolations when yours involve just as much guesswork.

BR, I have to admit that FYI is right. You need to read more carefully and get some facts straight. Minneapolis has been mentioned repeatedly and even recently as having already given a firm "no."

That's not the truth.. that's YOUR truth. You're right that we don't know FOR SURE what's happening. But I think there's enough information to make some inferences and that's what I'm doing. For some reason, you seem to have a problem when someone does this and feel the need to call them out on it and remind them of supposed "reality." No one else here seems to take issue with someone making inferences and forming opinions except for you. And the idea that you would put me on the same level as BR for our "extrapolations" and "guesswork" is ridiculous and frankly, it's pretty darn insulting. Especially since you tell me not to chew out BR and then in your next breath, that's exactly what you do.

So as usual.. if you have some opinions and/or facts to contribute about the subject at hand, I would love to hear it. But if all you're going to do is call me out because you don't agree with the methodology with which I came up with my opinions, I don't want to hear it anymore. Pretty sure I'm not the only person that feels that way either.

Spot on. The days of the few contestants are over. And now we have competition for diferent countries. Between L.A. 32 - L.A. 84. only the big powers will have the opportunity to make it, with some exceptions -Mexico and Korea-, but now is different. Maybe not all of them will make it, but the potential is there and in case of U.S.A. needs to win, they need a proper contender.

This is why the "let's try and project the next century of Olympic hosts" game is impossible to predict. Heck, look how much trouble we're having figuring out who the candidates will be for the next available Olympics. That plus you throw off 1 host and everything that follows could be different.

To baron's point.. we don't know who the important and successful countries will be years down the line. Obviously major changes in GDP and population are unlikely, but who knows if a country will emerge somewhere that we aren't looking at right now. 25-30 years ago, could anyone have predicted South Africa would right their wrongs and be in line to host a World Cup and then an Olympics?

This is why the "let's try and project the next century of Olympic hosts" game is impossible to predict. Heck, look how much trouble we're having figuring out who the candidates will be for the next available Olympics. That plus you throw off 1 host and everything that follows could be different.

To baron's point.. we don't know who the important and successful countries will be years down the line. Obviously major changes in GDP and population are unlikely, but who knows if a country will emerge somewhere that we aren't looking at right now. 25-30 years ago, could anyone have predicted South Africa would right their wrongs and be in line to host a World Cup and then an Olympics?

Very great points. I think the furthest we could even try to predict is 2032 at a long shot.

Okay, I found this Q&A's interview with Blackmun & a journalist from the Chicago Tribune from less than a couple of months ago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-19/sports/chi-usocs-blackmun-federal-or-state-guarantee-may-be-key-to-us-bid-for-games-20130619_1_winter-games-scott-blackmun-usoc

It's interesting how he notes that a 2026 Winter bid was not the in the realm of impossibility if a 2024 Summer bid were to fail, other than saying that the timing would be "tight", in terms of the turnaround. Also interesting to note, is that Blackmun cites that a Reno bid could be a compelling option, for all those Reno naysayers.

Also interesting is that he notes that a financial "guarantee" from either the state or federal governent would be very good for a future bid. And here he names five of the "little more than ten cities" that they're talking to, & it does include that San Francisco has "expressed interest". So okay, we have them, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Philadelphia & Boston. And maybe "talks" with New York & maybe Seattle. So who could the remaining two that haven't acknowledged yet a "yes or no" & that would be a worthwhile candidate. After running through the list, that really only leaves Miami & maybe DC.

Olympic bid no small task for Boston

Pursuing an Olympic bid is — as they’ll tell you in Chicago or New York or Atlanta — not for the faint of heart. It’s for cities with a clear focus and a deep pocketbook. And while the domestic bid process will likely change for the 2024 Summer Games, on which Boston is setting its sights, the focus and planning and vision needed will not.

Those are crucial.

“I would say that the cities that have been more successful had a vision of what the Games mean to it,” said Paul George, who was vice president of the US Olympic Committee for eight years and served on two International Olympic Committee commissions, including one that evaluated cities for selection.

“I remember Mayor Valentino Castellani, the mayor of Torino at the time, saying to me, ‘I bid on the Olympic Games to take a 19th-century city and turn it into a 21st-century city.’ He had a vision of what the Games could do.”

The Massachusetts Senate approved a bill on July 30 that would study the feasibility of bringing the Olympics to the Commonwealth, with the study expected to be completed by March. That’s right around the time the USOC expects to narrow its list of candidates in advance of potentially nominating a city.

So, why exactly does Boston want the Games? And why would the USOC and IOC choose Boston?

“The first thing that the bid committee will need is a competitive concept,” said Michael Kontos, who advised the IOC on Salt Lake City bid issues and who was involved with Chicago’s 2016 bid as a consultant. “That has both a technical aspect and an emotional one.”

The technical aspect covers how the Games are operated — that the experience for the competitors is a good one. As Kontos said, it’s like putting on “26 world championships at once using the same resources. It’s a very complicated event.”

To even merit consideration, the proposal must have an emotional aspect.

“When you boil it down, it’s the answers to the question ‘why,’ ” Kontos said. “It’s, why does it make sense for the Olympic movement? Why does it make sense for Boston? These are two very important questions to start out with.”

The Olympics need to fit with where the city wants to go, need to fit with the city’s long-term plan, as Kontos said. London, for example, had plans to rehabilitate the East End through hosting the 2012 Summer Games.

“The IOC and indeed the US Olympic Committee cares a great deal about the legacy aspect of it, not only the venues for future athletic endeavors, but also that it works for a city, that it works afterwards for a city,” George said.

“You want it to be successful. You don’t want it to be a burden to the taxpayers, to the city.”

Bids must address 18 to 20 criteria that the evaluation commissions take into consideration, ranging from political support to financial support to venues to transportation to accommodations to environmental issues. The USOC consults with cities on those criteria as they determine whether they want to go forward with a bid.

And then there’s the money.

While nothing associated with the Olympics is inexpensive — operating budgets for the three cities bidding for the 2020 Summer Games (Istanbul, Madrid, and Tokyo) are in the billions — the USOC is aiming to make at least the first steps less onerous and expensive for domestic bids.

Chicago spent an estimated $10 million getting through the domestic bid process for the 2016 Games, and an estimated $100 million getting through the international bid process, where the city was rejected in favor of Rio de Janeiro.

“The USOC has said that they would like to make the cost go down for the cities,” George said. “It’s historically been an expensive process . . . It’s a marathon.”

Another key component is support. That’s governmental support. That’s community support. While Boston might not be like Chicago, where Mayor Richard Daley championed the effort, a green light from the new mayor would be crucial.

“We are currently discussing internally whether or not we want to bid for the 2024 Games,” said Patrick Sandusky, the USOC’s chief communication and public affairs officer. “[The IOC] sent out letters to the largest cities in America and asked them if they were interested; Let us know, and we can start working through some of the technical aspects of what a Games would entail.”

Sandusky added, “We want to give each city the opportunity to just kick the tires, see if they’re interested without having to make a firm commitment.”

The USOC has not put forth an American city for selection since bidding for the 2012 (New York) and 2016 Games.

The Summer Olympics have not been held in the United States since Atlanta in 1996. Salt Lake City in 2002 was the last Winter Games held domestically.

Could Boston be next? There is a necessary component that the city has in spades.

“It is, very importantly, renowned for its sport-loving culture,” said Kontos. “Some cities have the infrastructure and the iconic sites, but they just are lacking that spirit around sport — and Boston surely has it.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/11/what-next-step-boston-olympic-bid/tKyzmetcZZFX3LoX9iTa0K/story.html

Okay, I found this Q&A's interview with Blackmun & a journalist from the Chicago Tribune from less than a couple of months ago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-19/sports/chi-usocs-blackmun-federal-or-state-guarantee-may-be-key-to-us-bid-for-games-20130619_1_winter-games-scott-blackmun-usoc

It's interesting how he notes that a 2026 Winter bid was not the in the realm of impossibility if a 2024 Summer bid were to fail, other than saying that the timing would be "tight", in terms of the turnaround. Also interesting to note, is that Blackmun cites that a Reno bid could be a compelling option, for all those Reno naysayers.

And here he names five of the "little more than ten cities" that they're talking to, & it does include that San Francisco has "expressed interest".

Good find. Thanks.

Of course, Reno is a viable option. Only prejudiced fools here think otherwise.

Re the City of St. Francis,with its near-negative experiences with the on-going America's Cup, not unless someone else will foot the Stadium bill, then fuggedaboutit!!

Also interesting is that he notes that a financial "guarantee" from either the state or federal governent would be very good for a future bid. And here he names five of the "little more than ten cities" that they're talking to, & it does include that San Francisco has "expressed interest". So okay, we have them, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Philadelphia & Boston. And maybe "talks" with New York & maybe Seattle. So who could the remaining two that haven't acknowledged yet a "yes or no" & that would be a worthwhile candidate. After running through the list, that really only leaves Miami & maybe DC.

Interesting interview. Nice to see that concession about possible "talks" with New York, FYI.

Regarding Winter Games, Blackmun articulates the reasoning behind the preference for Summer Games very clearly. I'd also like to point out that Blackmun first talks about SLC being a viable option as a winter host. I think quite a few of us would take issue with that due to the minimal passage of time since 2002. As for Reno, as the head of the USOC, when faced with an open-ended question about winter hosts, Blackmun must acknowledge Reno. It would be a full on insult to ignore them. And almost anyone "COULD" put together a compelling bid, provided there are no budgetary restrictions. Blackmun did not say that Reno was already a compelling candidate.

There is a very political aspect to Blackmun's job. Perhaps his diplomatic ability is one of the primary reasons he was hired. Some of his predecessors were pretty poor politicians. Even if Blackmun thinks a possible candidate is a total dud, he isn't going to say that publicly. He basically acknowledged every single city that has expressed real interest and he didn't put down anyone. He kept SLC, Denver, Reno and Anchorage on pretty even footing. That's his job.

Atlanta's former mayor, Andrew Young, said back in February that the city should not go after the Olympics again. That "there are a lot of problems that they need to take care of".

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/agenda/2013/02/19/should-atlanta-bid-on-the-2024-olympics-no-says-andrew-young

Plus, I can't see the USOC even wanting to waste their time with them. Some people balk at the thought of L.A. again, bcuz they claim the U.S. has so much more to offer, so I'd definitely say that about Atlanta, especially since they were the last Summer Olympics held in the U.S. & in North America. Very, very doubtful the IOC would go for them again, especially so soon.

And speaking of L.A., looks like they're perhaps looking into some sort of revitalization project. Could this be the start of a winnable package?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/07/will_the_la_river_star_in_los_angeless_2024_olympics_bid.php

And speaking of L.A., looks like they're perhaps looking into some sort of revitalization project. Could this be the start of a winnable package?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/07/will_the_la_river_star_in_los_angeless_2024_olympics_bid.php

x

Nothing "Olympic" about those plans.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/07/3_plans_on_the_table_for_major_la_river_revitalization.php

Archived