USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting developments, especially when Blackmun talks about NYC. And could Boston also be one of those ten. And surprising that they would even contemplate even looking at a San Diego/Tijuana proposal.

Also interesting the mention of South Africa; "if we decide to bid, I sure hope that they don't"! That goes for everyone else, too. They know that they would be a formidable, sentimental opponent.

It seems they are in talks with NYC, the Bay Area (I think that obviously includes SF-Oakland-San Jose-Santa Clara...so that already accounts for FOUR cities), Philly, Dallas, LA, San Diego-Tijuana makes TEN.

They are probably in talks with Tulsa too....

Oh god please just go to Toronto for 2024 so we can see what other major thing in Canada will not be ready or work properly, and how much money they can waste. Then we'll talk about the US.

parc-olympique-durant-les-jeux-1976-hire

C2608C11CEF2143F2AEE3AF4345628.jpg

Are you kidding me? I honestly can't believe that you just said that. Why don't we take a look at American Olympics. Atlanta 1996 sucked. Salt Lake was great but there was also a bidding scandal. Sure, Montreal was a disaster, but that was 30+ years ago.

Get Serious.

lol Paul since this is a USA 2024 thread

Oh god please just go to to the USA for 2024 so we can see what other major event in the USA can be a disaster before we talk about Canada.

We don't want a repeat of 96.

"It became a tradition for Samaranch, when giving the President's address at the close of each Summer Olympics, to praise the organizers at each Olympiad for putting on "the best ever" Games. He withheld this phrase only once, at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, where the organization had come under heavy criticism".

"Atlanta’s Olympics were tagged the “Bubba Games” by the world’s media who lampooned the city when its bus drivers got lost and a collection of street vendors set up operations that were likened to a “third-world bazaar.”

Oh let them screw up the operations too.

They are probably in talks with Tulsa too....

The article did mention Tulsa, so I would expect that they're 1 of the 10. I don't know that the count of 10 is counting the Bay Area as 4 cities. So based on that.. we know there's Philadelphia and Los Angeles. San Diego-Tijuana is another. Tulsa got mentioned so let's count them. Seems like the Bay Area is on there. They mentioned New York, so add them to the list. Have to assume Dallas and Boston are among the 10. That's 8 right there. Best guess for the other 2? Probably Miami is one. Not sure who the other would be.

Interesting developments, especially when Blackmun talks about NYC. And could Boston also be one of those ten. And surprising that they would even contemplate even looking at a San Diego/Tijuana proposal.

Also interesting the mention of South Africa; "if we decide to bid, I sure hope that they don't"! That goes for everyone else, too. They know that they would be a formidable, sentimental opponent.

Seems like maybe they're just being diplomatic again. Similar to how they sent the original letter to 35 cities knowing full well most of them wouldn't be up to snuff, now they've perhaps narrowed it down to 10, even though it includes the likes of a San Diego-Tijuana bid. I can't see in what world the USOC would pick them, but that they sent out the letter, it's the least they can do to hear them out, even if their proposal has little chance of arousing interesting within the USOC.

As for South Africa.. clearly they know what they're up again. Which is good. Shows that they know to take note of the competition and hopefully are smart enough to factor that into their decision-making for the 2024 bid.

They mentioned New York, so add them to the list. Not sure who the other would be.

What do you make of this, though, when you've been saying that there's really been no movement there on about a bid, especially in your line of work in the sport sector? I find this intriguing, to say the least.

Maybe Nashville or Charlotte. Especially Charlotte's mayor seems to be delusional about their chances. But neither of those two can match the total lunacy of Tulsa. I can't even believe that the USOC would even pay them any mind.

Yeah, for the likes of the Tulsa's, Charlotte's & San Antonio's, but for (especially) New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco & maybe Philadelphia, who've been down this path before, they should already have an idea of the first, initial costs.

The article did mention Tulsa, so I would expect that they're 1 of the 10. I don't know that the count of 10 is counting the Bay Area as 4 cities. So based on that.. we know there's Philadelphia and Los Angeles. San Diego-Tijuana is another. Tulsa got mentioned so let's count them. Seems like the Bay Area is on there. They mentioned New York, so add them to the list. Have to assume Dallas and Boston are among the 10. That's 8 right there. Best guess for the other 2? Probably Miami is one. Not sure who the other would be.

I was kidding about Tulsa.

Oh USA......always the trendsetter!

justinbieberoverallscanadaprimeministeri

Hey, c'mon. None of us are proud that either of them are Canadian hahaha.

Interesting. So there does seem to be at least some interest in NYC's end.

What do you make of this, though, when you've been saying that there's really been no movement there on about a bid, especially in your line of work in the sport sector? I find this intriguing, to say the least.

There MAY be interest on NYC's end. The USOC talking to New York doesn't necessarily mean they're interested. Could simply mean that because it's New York that the USOC wants to see if theyre interested since they didn't give the emphatic no that Chicago did.

There is a NYC Sports Commission, so it does give the USOC an outlet to deal with. And somewhere in there could be some remnants of the 2012 bid, even though the principles of that are gone. The fact that we've heard virtually nothing regarding an NYC 2024 Olympic bid still leads me to believe there's nothing there, but the USOC will still feel them out anyway. Talking doesn't necessarily imply interest on New York's end just like the USOC talking to San Diego doesn't mean they're about to take them seriously. Like I said earlier.. they sent San Diego the letter, that was their reply. That they say they're talking is just the USOC being diplomatic.

I was kidding about Tulsa.

I wasn't. Again, they were mentioned in the story. They were 1 of the 35 cities that got the letter and they responded to it. We all can be pretty confident the USOC won't take them seriously, but this is what 'talking' is. baron hit the nail right on the head.. When you send a letter to someone and they reply, that's talking. Doesn't imply the 2 sides are closer to the goal of forming an Olympic bid. But it would seem a little ridiculous to send a letter to Tulsa (based solely on prior interest, fruitless as those efforts may be) and then not engage with them when they answer back. Given that this is a different process than we've had before, there can and I think will come a point where the USOC says to them "thanks, but no thanks.. best to save your time and effort because it's not going to happen."

I wasn't. Again, they were mentioned in the story. They were 1 of the 35 cities that got the letter and they responded to it. We all can be pretty confident the USOC won't take them seriously, but this is what 'talking' is. baron hit the nail right on the head.. When you send a letter to someone and they reply, that's talking. Doesn't imply the 2 sides are closer to the goal of forming an Olympic bid. But it would seem a little ridiculous to send a letter to Tulsa (based solely on prior interest, fruitless as those efforts may be) and then not engage with them when they answer back. Given that this is a different process than we've had before, there can and I think will come a point where the USOC says to them "thanks, but no thanks.. best to save your time and effort because it's not going to happen."

There will probably be a couple Tulsa like cities that put forth a bid. After all, Cincinnati put forth a bid in 2012 so anything is possible.

There will probably be a couple Tulsa like cities that put forth a bid. After all, Cincinnati put forth a bid in 2012 so anything is possible.

The process the USOC is running now is totally different from the 2012 one. The USOC has consistently been saying that they want the process this time to be less expensive & don't want the cities to be spending money that they don't need to be spending, like the $10 million that the domestic process cost a lot of the cities before. So at some point, the USOC is going to realistically, as diplomatic as they can, will tell Tulsa that they don't have the goods & to put their efforts on a state fair where it belongs.

He didn't mention NYC for a reason. I think none of the mayoral candidates are in favour of an Olympic bid. (Look over to the stadium being proposed for 20th MLS team as an example).

He declined to identify other cities considered as potential candidates, saying they preferred to keep it confidential for now. -- Blackmun's words in the articles.

And the NYC mayoral race is still way too fuzzy for there to be any idea of who will actually run in the end.

Fricken hell - 333 pages. Is this a record for a thread here?

Anyway, Tulsa's put their name in:

Tulsa 2024 Olympics: Oklahoma's second-largest city to try for games

Kenya has already announced that they want to bid. Buffalo and Toronto are looking to make a co-hosting bid. Now, it appears as if Tulsa, Oklahoma is going to attempt to bid for the 2024 Olympics, according to a report from the Associated Press on Saturday, April 27, 2013.

Local officials have already said that the idea of Tulsa hosting the 2024 Olympics is a bit of a stretch, it is possible. Tulsa was one of numerous small cities that got letters from the U.S. Olympic Committee asking whether they'd be interested in holding the games.

"Some people think of Tulsa as a flyover, Dust Bowl town," said Neil Mavis, a member of the Tulsa 2024 Olympic Exploratory Committee. "Many people think of cowboys and Indians. ... Bidding for the Olympics is the one way to change those stereotypes."

Nearly three dozen cities received letters from the USOC after Chicago and New York failed at bids of hosting the 2012 and 2016 games. The letters mostly went to large cities but others included smaller locations such as Memphis, TN.

One major problem, among many, is that Tulsa has only about 13,000 hotel rooms in the area. 45,000 are required by any city looking to host the Olympic games. In order for Tulsa to host the 2024 Olympics, the city would also have to build an Olympic stadium that they would have to finance.

All of that would come at an estimated cost of $3.5 billion.

While it may seem far-fetched at this time, it is not out of the question for Tulsa to host the 2024 Olympics.

Examiner

Cue laugh track ....

LOL at that diabtibe.

I said "may". That's all. There hasn't been a Chicago-style rejection yet.

Calm your t*ts.

Actually, I said "may." So I figured my reply would be more constructive than "This could very well be true. But it's still pure speculation." Again, we don't know what's going on with New York right now. But this article mentioning them is anything but a confirmation of their interest in an Olympic bid. As I've said before, that's why runningrings' list isn't the best picture of the potential Olympic bidders. Sure, San Diego is now in the "confirmed interest" category but does anyone give them a better shot at landing an Olympics than a Dallas or a Boston or a San Fran/Bay Area that we're less than sure about at this point?

Where are these people getting their fricken information from?! Toronto & Buffalo?! That's was laughed & scoffed at long ago. And Kenya, really?

I love this quote however; "Some people think of Tulsa as a flyover, dust bowl town". Well, yeah! That's bcuz it fricken is! :lol::P

Keep smokin' that stuff, Tulsa officials! :lol:

He declined to identify other cities considered as potential candidates, saying they preferred to keep it confidential for now. -- Blackmun's words in the articles.

And the NYC mayoral race is still way too fuzzy for there to be any idea of who will actually run in the end.

This I agree with. NYC mayoral candidates have a lot more pressing issues to worry about than that potential of an Olympic bid. This is probably way way down on their list of priorities. It's perhaps a reason there has been no definitive response from New York, but even Bloomberg has recently mentioned the MLS Stadium and he's on his way out of office soon. So unless he addresses this, I have a feeling the USOC will continue to get little response from New York on this one.

I love that the heading for the Tulsa article is "Oklahoma's second largest city to bid for the Olympics." Maybe it should occur to someone for that effort to stop right there, less they still are delusional enough to think they can convince the USOC to take them seriously. Perhaps the USOC needs to cut off their dialouge with Tulsa because it's seeming more and more like a waste of everyone's time to continue to do so.

Archived