USA 2024

Athensfan

LA would've been a natural especially if they have Olympic hopes again. But the TV contracts for the PanAms doesn't even cover 1/3rd of the bills for staging it. My guess is that PASOC is asking for a HUGE initial outlay. [The last Miss Universe which asks for $12 million, in addition to all the free accommodations, theatre, etc.,etc., There were no takers from any Latin cities...which is why they just had to go back to Vegas last December] I'm thinking PASOC might be asking for like $20 million in guarantees + hosting over 4,000 athletes, etc.,etc, in an event rarely watched in the US; that's why cash-strapped US cities aren't exactly foaming at the mouth to host it.

The Brazilian broadcaster paid $20 million US the games are huge there however. I think in 2015 it will be different from the US standpoint of coverage. Toronto is next door so more then likely it will be covered by like ESPN or something.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brazilian broadcaster paid $20 million US the games are huge there however. I think in 2015 it will be different from the US standpoint of coverage. Toronto is next door so more then likely it will be covered by like ESPN or something.

I'll be shocked if we get any coverage of the Pan-Am Games on English-language TV. We didn't get any coverage from Winnipeg in 1999. ESPN Deportes has carried the last two Pan-Am Games in Spanish, and I assume they'll have coverage again, but we haven't had any English-language coverage since 1991, when ABC and TNT teamed up to show about 50 hours of coverage.

I'd like to see San Antonio bid again for the Pan-Am Games. They narrowly lost to Rio for 2007 and would be a fantastic host.

I’m happy to watch other countries scramble around to host,

if a US city bids I’d be thrilled to support them but I don’t feel too

desperate about it right now. We have so many things to work out at the moment,

and we have to figure out how to survive the current administrations agenda.

I'm right there with you. I think no bids is just fine right now. As for the current administration's agenda... agreed.

I'm right there with you. I think no bids is just fine right now. As for the current administration's agenda... agreed.

Agreed as well. I would love to see the USOC give it a shot, but only if they have a good enough bid city. If they don't, there's no shame in sitting out 2024.

That's just it. The "good enough" bid cities don't seem interested, anytime soon, in partaking in this big endeavor. Only the ones that want to make a name for themselves overnight, like the latest one from 2 days ago, are the ones that are peeking through the door. Not too much different than what's already been discussed in this thread.

That's just it. The "good enough" bid cities don't seem interested, anytime soon, in partaking in this big endeavor. Only the ones that want to make a name for themselves overnight, like the latest one from 2 days ago, are the ones that are peeking through the door. Not too much different than what's already been discussed in this thread.

Which only means a Summer Games is a HUGE, impossible endeavor at the present time. It is just so much easier to go after a Winter Games.

This is why my thoughts go back to Atlanta. Surely if the USOC is thinking of resorting to the likes of Minneapolis as the American candidate- surely Atlanta would have muscle? If we're going to go back to deepest, darkest second tier America then why not the host city of the Centennial Olympics? The stadium issue would be sorted - build it near Georgia Dome- and give to the Falcons afterwards.

Georgia Dome can stay til 2024 - then bite the dust after. If Baseball is back in 2024 then obviously have it at Turner Field.

Well, for starters, I highly doubt that Atlanta would even be interested again so soon. Second, they didn't exactly leave a gleaming, lasting impression upon the world. And thirdly, Atlanta, really? So soon after 1996?

If many people say that even Los Angeles is still too soon after 1984, then how would Atlanta be received by the broader so soon again? If the U.S. is going to have another repeat host it should be L.A., not Atlanta. I also doubt that the IOC would really want to go back to the U.S. "South" so soon anyway. They didn't exactly leave there with raving reviews.

Which only means a Summer Games is a HUGE, impossible endeavor at the present time. It is just so much easier to go after a Winter Games.

The Winter cities all have their problems as well. I still think the best choice is no bids for now.

-- Summer or Winter. The reality is that the country has other things to focus on. I'd prefer to see the US reconvene in a few years to consider 2028.

Why bother with a second-tier Summer candidate or a problematic Winter one? If the candidate isn't there, the will isn't there, the IOC is still disinterested and there are other domestic issues demanding attention, just let it go.

Of course, these are "if's". If a great candidate shows up and the IOC warms to the US -- that's another story.

The Winter cities all have their problems as well. I still think the best choice is no bids for now.

-- Summer or Winter. The reality is that the country has other things to focus on. I'd prefer to see the US reconvene in a few years to consider 2028.

Why bother with a second-tier Summer candidate or a problematic Winter one? If the candidate isn't there, the will isn't there, the IOC is still disinterested and there are other domestic issues demanding attention, just let it go.

Of course, these are "if's". If a great candidate shows up and the IOC warms to the US -- that's another story.

Yes, all have problems, but logistically, it is far easier and far less expensive to cobble a Winter bid together PLUS you have the continental factor playing more strongly for a US winter turn than a summer one. There are other regions of the earth which pop up in the summer derbies, and those would most likely trump even the most so-called technically 'perfect' bids, as you Chicago supporters called it, as Chicago 2016.

You, unexplainedly, just don't like a Winter bid preceding the next Summer bid.

All these comments about cities that aren’t good enough to bid is OK but the standard is really much much higher for any US city than any other place on earth. If the world thinks Americans should broaden their global perspective, to be more tuned in to different cultures and places and people, then perhaps the world should recognize that our capabilities don't just revolve around NY, LA and Chicago. Maybe everyone should broaden their perspective about the US and acknowledge that vastly different cultures geography climate and people exist all over this landmass, and any number of places could easily host a games. Here’s a GDPcomparison of US cities to some cities that are considered mega-super-cities in other countries, we know this isn’t the only Olympic criteria but it’s interesting for comparison. And funny when you see our San Diego is like your Istanbul and our Denver is your Beijing! Even poor "little" beat-on Minneapolis is your Rio!!

Philadelphia /Sao Paulo

DC / Mexico City 1968 host

Boston / Buenos Aeries
Dallas / Moscow 1980 host

Atlanta / Hong Kong
San Fran / Seoul 1988 host

Houston / Shangri
Miami / Singapore

Seattle / Madrid 2020 candidate
Phoenix / Mumbai

Minneapolis / Rio 2016 host
San Diego / Istanbul 2020 candidate

Denver / Beijing 2008 host
Detroit / Toronto perpetual “wannabe” (like old Detroit!)

And a few states compared to countries!

California / Russia
Texas / Canada

New York / South Korea
Florida / Turkey

Illinois / Saudi Arabia
Pennsylvania / Norway

New Jersey / Argentina
Georgia / UAE

Minnesota / Portugal
Colorado / Ireland

Arizona / Philippines
Alabama / Qatar

This is why my thoughts go back to Atlanta. Surely if the USOC is thinking of resorting to the likes of Minneapolis as the American candidate- surely Atlanta would have muscle? If we're going to go back to deepest, darkest second tier America then why not the host city of the Centennial Olympics? The stadium issue would be sorted - build it near Georgia Dome- and give to the Falcons afterwards.

Georgia Dome can stay til 2024 - then bite the dust after. If Baseball is back in 2024 then obviously have it at Turner Field.

Too late. The city and the Falcons already have plans in motion to build a new open-air stadium for the Falcons north of the GWCC. If all goes according to plan, the stadium would be built and ready to open by 2017. So that actually creates a bigger stadium issue than other cities would have to deal with because now you'd have 2 football-sized stadiums in close proximity to each other (unless they tear down the Georgia Dome), neither of which will be suitable to host athletics, and the newer of which is expected to be about 70% financed by Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons. Meaning that even if Atlanta had a snowball's chance in hell at landing the 2024 Olympics (which IMO is as close to impossible as it gets), the stadium issue hurts them, not helps them.

Again, this is the reality of how American cities do business. We saw what happened with San Francisco (much to baron's chagrin, as we know) where the local NFL has their own plans that don't mesh with that of an Olympic bid. Minneapolis is going to have a similar issue as they're on the verge of building a new stadium for the Vikings that may or may not fit into the city's plans for an Olympics. When L.A. hosted in 1984, they had a ready-made stadium to host but that was also in the days before multi-purpose stadiums went out of style. Atlanta found a solution as a matter of timing and it was either an elegant plan or anything but depending on your viewpoint.

Some very flawed comparions there.

Washington DC is no Mexico City (where the Mexican Capital has the largest metro area in the Western Hemisphere), but DC still could be seen as capable of hosting.

San Diego is definitely no Istanbul (how that comparison can even be made is extremely bewildering, to say the least). Istanbul's metro area is 4'xs that of San Diego. Istanbul is also an extremely picturesque international city.

Minneapolis no Rio, either (another perplexing one). Rio's city proper population alone is twice that of Minneapolis' metro. And when you then include Rio's metro, it then leaves Minneapolis in the dust. Again here, Rio is a very picturesque internaitonal city. Whereas Minneapolis would seem to be is a "North Atlanta".

Madrid is still 25% larger than Seattle in metro scope. Denver/Beijing - seriously. Although, Denver could host the Winter Olympics.

While I would agree that the U.S. is very diverse & can offer so much, so can other large land masses, like Russia, China & Brazil. But that doesn't that the Olympics need to visit every nook & cranny bcuz of this simple reason. To the most foreign of obeservers, these "differences" are very trivial as a whole.

Not talking pop here, just gdp.

How about this one:

Tulsa / Auckland

Anyway, don't we know that the US can have smaller surounding populations because there's never an issue filling seats to overflow?

I'm not advocating for US games, I think we really need a break, just find the gdp thing funny.

More useless economic info from 2010 during the Obama depression comparing US cities with other entire countries economies.

United States

$15,094.0

China

$7,298.9

Japan

$5,869.1

Germany

$3,569.5

France

$2,774.4

Brazil

$2,476.7

United Kingdom

$2,416.4

Italy

$2,198.0

India

$1,897.9

Russia

$1,857.9

Canada

$1,739.4

Spain

$1,492.5

Australia

$1,483.8

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA

$1,287.7

Mexico

$1,154.1

South Korea

$1,116.4

Indonesia

$846.8

Netherlands

$837.8

Turkey

$773.1

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA

$755.0

Switzerland

$637.7

Saudi Arabia

$576.8

Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI

$546.8

Sweden

$537.7

Poland

$514.3

Belgium

$512.6

Iran

$499.7

Norway

$485.2

Taiwan

$467.2

Argentina

$446.1

Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV

$433.9

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX

$420.4

Austria

$417.9

South Africa

$408.7

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX

$401.3

United Arab Emirates

$371.6

Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD

$352.7

Thailand

$345.6

San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA

$335.3

Denmark

$333.6

Colombia

$333.3

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH

$326.0

Venezuela

$317.8

Greece

$299.1

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA

$283.8

Malaysia

$278.7

Nigeria

$272.9

Finland

$266.5

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL

$260.0

Singapore

$259.8

Hong Kong

$243.7

Israel

$243.2

Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA

$242.0

Portugal

$237.7

Chile

$234.9

Egypt

$230.7

Philippines

$224.7

Ireland

$217.6

Algeria

$217.2

Czech Republic

$215.1

Pakistan

$209.3

Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI

$208.5

Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI

$198.8

Iraq

$195.4

Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ

$194.4

Romania

$189.8

Kazakhstan

$186.4

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA

$182.8

Peru

$176.7

San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA

$175.0

Qatar

$173.5

Ukraine

$165.2

New Zealand

$161.6

Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO

$161.5

Kuwait

$156.1

Baltimore-Towson, MD

$148.0

Hungary

$139.6

Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA

$139.4

St. Louis, MO-IL

$133.1

Vietnam

$123.8

Pittsburgh, PA

$118.8

Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC

$117.8

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL

$115.2

Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA

$111.3

Kansas City, MO-KS

$108.8

Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH

$106.6

Bangladesh

$106.2

Indianapolis-Carmel, IN

$105.3

Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL

$105.0

Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN

$101.6

Morocco

$99.5

Puerto Rico

$96.6

Slovakia

$96.0

Columbus, OH

$94.7

Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX

$94.0

Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA

$93.3

Las Vegas-Paradise, NV

$91.8

San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX

$87.6

Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI

$86.7

Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT

$85.7

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN

$85.1

Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT

$82.1

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC

$80.4

New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA

$80.3

Angola

$76.5

Cuba

$73.6

Oman

$72.7

Salt Lake City, UT

$72.2

Sudan

$71.9

Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA

$68.2

Memphis, TN-MS-AR

$67.3

Ecuador

$66.1

Richmond, VA

$65.2

Croatia

$63.8

Azerbaijan

$63.4

Oklahoma City, OK

$61.8

Jacksonville, FL

$60.9

Raleigh-Cary, NC

$59.8

Luxembourg

$59.5

Belarus

$59.3

Sri Lanka

$59.2

Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN

$58.8

Dominican Republic

$55.6

Syria

$55.6

Birmingham-Hoover, AL

$53.9

All these comments about cities that aren’t good enough to bid is OK but the standard is really much much higher for any US city than any other place on earth. If the world thinks Americans should broaden their global perspective, to be more tuned in to different cultures and places and people, then perhaps the world should recognize that our capabilities don't just revolve around NY, LA and Chicago. Maybe everyone should broaden their perspective about the US and acknowledge that vastly different cultures geography climate and people exist all over this landmass, and any number of places could easily host a games. Here’s a GDPcomparison of US cities to some cities that are considered mega-super-cities in other countries, we know this isn’t the only Olympic criteria but it’s interesting for comparison. And funny when you see our San Diego is like your Istanbul and our Denver is your Beijing! Even poor "little" beat-on Minneapolis is your Rio!!

Philadelphia /Sao Paulo

DC / Mexico City 1968 host

Boston / Buenos Aeries

Dallas / Moscow 1980 host

Atlanta / Hong Kong

San Fran / Seoul 1988 host

Houston / Shangri

Miami / Singapore

Seattle / Madrid 2020 candidate

Phoenix / Mumbai

Minneapolis / Rio 2016 host

San Diego / Istanbul 2020 candidate

Denver / Beijing 2008 host

Detroit / Toronto perpetual “wannabe” (like old Detroit!)

And a few states compared to countries!

California / Russia

Texas / Canada

New York / South Korea

Florida / Turkey

Illinois / Saudi Arabia

Pennsylvania / Norway

New Jersey / Argentina

Georgia / UAE

Minnesota / Portugal

Colorado / Ireland

Arizona / Philippines

Alabama / Qatar

Paul, this is just laughable. I mean, who takes that study seriously?

No

FYI, I notice you've been an avid American Olympic follower so you would probably guess this better than let's say me or any other member outside the USA. Do you honestly think Chicago or NYC will come forward with a bid or will they ultimately pass? Is Chicago really over the Olympics?

Archived