USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I couldn't resist wondering what "hokey" league you were talking about!

:P;)

Well, considering the lockout they're currently mired in, "hokey" doesn't really seem too far off anyway.

To int's point, the NHL is obviously more about North American than it is about the United States. But the point remains that it's still the best hockey in the world and that it attracts many of the best players from foreign countries. So they'll always have an interest in North American hockey players because it will involve many of their national stars.

USA should host the IAAF world athletics championships. They have never hosted it. From whole Americas only Edmonton, Canada in 2001.

Because if I remember right, the IAAF wants at least a 55,000 T&F stadium, accommodations for I don't know how many thousands (so either a few hotels or anoterh mini-Olympic village) + a primetime TV contract on bidding...which NO US city (not even the USOC) can give the IAAF outright. It's something that whichever city is interested will have to stitch together after the IAAF awards the bid. So, it's almost like a $35 million commitment that the IAAF wants upfront which no US city is ready to give. When the USOC places its Olympic trials at the Univ of Oregon, Eugene campus...or even the annual US Figure Skating championships, the cities/organizing Committees can pledge $2.5-3 million for upfront costs. Anything more than that the USOC or cities are hard-pressed to comply.

USA should host the IAAF world athletics championships. They have never hosted it. From whole Americas only Edmonton, Canada in 2001.

I'll give you that one, George - it's incredible that the world's strongest athletics and swimming nation hasn't hosted the IAAF or FINA world champs.

Because if I remember right, the IAAF wants at least a 55,000 T&F stadium, accommodations for I don't know how many thousands (so either a few hotels or anoterh mini-Olympic village) + a primetime TV contract on bidding...which NO US city (not even the USOC) can give the IAAF outright. It's something that whichever city is interested will have to stitch together after the IAAF awards the bid. So, it's almost like a $35 million commitment that the IAAF wants upfront which no US city is ready to give. When the USOC places its Olympic trials at the Univ of Oregon, Eugene campus...or even the annual US Figure Skating championships, the cities/organizing Committees can pledge $2.5-3 million for upfront costs. Anything more than that the USOC or cities are hard-pressed to comply.

Your stadiums are from the biggest in world

But none of them can hold an athletics track -- apart from the LA Coliseum. The Coliseum does not currently have an athletics track. Installing one would be very expensive and logistically difficult because the venue is currently used for other purposes.

The seating capacity of all existing athletics stadiums in the US all falls below the IAAF's requirements for World Championships.

But none of them can hold an athletics track -- apart from the LA Coliseum. The Coliseum does not currently have an athletics track. Installing one would be very expensive and logistically difficult because the venue is currently used for other purposes.

The seating capacity of all existing athletics stadiums in the US all falls below the IAAF's requirements for World Championships.

It's okay for America to build a new stadium. lol.

But if you want the summer olympics, you need a stadium that would be approved by the IAAF.

And for the likes of, say, Minneapolis St Paul, who'd like to aspire to the Games one day, I've always said hosting something loike the IAAFs is one way for them to build their profile and get a reputation for hosting.

Yes, and I suppose if really hard-pressed, maybe one of the large stadia could be converted into a T&F stadium...but the build-up (w/ a platform); then the take-down, and then the loss of playing time for whichever pro team or university loans out their facility, just isn't worth it to US organizations. I estimate to build-up a raised track, take down, loss to the stadium would probably be at least $3.5 - 4 million. No one can spare that. If the IAAF wants it badly, let them pay for it.

As I said, we'll just go and get the bling.

But if you want the summer olympics, you need a stadium that would be approved by the IAAF.

That's why I feel the USOC should forget a summer Games and just go for a Winter. It's just easier and a surer thing to get.

And that's where we part company. The reward is also smaller for Winter Games.

The stadium investment can be justifiable for Summer Olympics provided there's a decent legacy plan. The investment is not justifiable for IAAF championships alone. Who's to say there aren't cities out there right now developIng workable stadium plans? London found a solution. American cities can as well.

Arguing for the easy way out has always been difficult for me to respect. I can respect devising a strategy to go after what you really want.

And that's where we part company. The reward is also smaller for Winter Games.

The stadium investment can be justifiable for Summer Olympics provided there's a decent legacy plan. The investment is not justifiable for IAAF championships alone. Who's to say there aren't cities out there right now developIng workable stadium plans? London found a solution. American cities can as well.

London is a capital city of a sovereign nation. Other than New York, how can a lesser American city match its resources? If Chicago and New York couldn't succeed with their permanent and temporary stadia solutions BEFORE the worldwide economic depression, what more now when every public cent has to be doubly scrutinized and well worth spending on? And it's NOT like you have a dozen cities to choose from. Outside of the top 4 & Philly, it's non-negotiable. Yeah, there was Mr. Vegas and Tulsa but then again, those cities don't quite match the USOC template of an electable city. Even London sitll hasn't nailed a post-Games tenant for their new white elephant. Next definite scheduled use? The IAAF World Champs in 2017. So, wow...3 uses for a 575 million GBP structure? I certainly wouldn't vote for that in my city, Summer Olympics or not.

You basically have 5 options to look at. Outside of that, it's a pipe dream -- not within the realm of reality given the current economic conditions, nor any deep-pocketed pro teams out there looking to break into the top 4/5 markets in the country where those markets are already essentially locked in by current franchises.

Arguing for the easy way out has always been difficult for me to respect. I can respect devising a strategy to go after what you really want.

Your choice. Personally, I don't really care for T&F anyway.

And also USA has never hosted a FIVB World volleyball championship

Again, it's those darn TV contracts that the FIVB wants, PLUS USA Volleyball has to survive under the shadow of rabid following here in the US of the big 4 sports, then golf, then that ridiculous Nascar. It's maybe #7 or even #8 in terms of box-office draw; and only the occasional World League or NCAA women's finals that sell out. (Personally, I've always wished for one, and I think even just the women's championship would maybe sell 75%. The LA area would seem to be an opportune setting for such an event...but I don't know if they can get 4 venues within the immediate LA area (Staples Center, Bren Center at USC, Pauley at UCLA I think are OK. If the Forum isn't good, the 4th one might have to be UC Irvine or Long Beach, and I think that might kill the bid) to present a fairly compact bid. Again, the best TV contract that such an event might engender would just be a cable network one rather a primetime, broadcast channel. (And outside of Team USA, China, Cuba and Russia games, other matches would have a hard time attracting more than 1,200 spectators. Would a Turkey vs. Serbia prelim do even 45% at the box office? The Mexican and Canadian teams don't even make the top 24 countries.) Beach v-ball events do better as whole in So. California.

These events HAVE to pay for themselves. No US city or other entity wants to front an immediate negative cashflow event.

Again, it's those darn TV contracts that the FIVB wants, PLUS USA Volleyball has to survive under the shadow of rabid following here in the US of the big 4 sports, then golf, then that ridiculous Nascar. It's maybe #7 or even #8 in terms of box-office draw; and only the occasional World League or NCAA women's finals that sell out. (Personally, I've always wished for one, and I think even just the women's championship would maybe sell 75%. The LA area would seem to be an opportune setting for such an event...but I don't know if they can get 4 venues within the immediate LA area (Staples Center, Bren Center at USC, Pauley at UCLA I think are OK. If the Forum isn't good, the 4th one might have to be UC Irvine or Long Beach, and I think that might kill the bid) to present a fairly compact bid. Again, the best TV contract that such an event might engender would just be a cable network one rather a primetime, broadcast channel. (And outside of Team USA, China, Cuba and Russia games, other matches would have a hard time attracting more than 1,200 spectators. Would a Turkey vs. Serbia prelim do even 45% at the box office? The Mexican and Canadian teams don't even make the top 24 countries.) Beach v-ball events do better as whole in So. California.

These events HAVE to pay for themselves. No US city or other entity wants to front an immediate negative cashflow event.

If they have small championships in cities, they're probably going to get attention. The US open is on a larger scale, but I haven't met die-hard tennis fans yet. But they still get large crowds to the tournaments.

If they have small championships in cities, they're probably going to get attention. The US open is on a larger scale, but I haven't met die-hard tennis fans yet. But they still get large crowds to the tournaments.

Well, the annual Figure Skating World Champs have played in Colorado Springs (like 5x already) Hartford, Cincinnati 1987, ....hold your breath...Minneapolis, Oakland 1992, and of course, Washington DC (well, Maryland really) and LA 2009. Of all the high profile world championships, that is probably the easiest to put on. You just need the major arena and one practice, smaller ice rink, one or two major hotels to house the "official" family -- and you know you can sell tickets for those in North America; and get a major primetime TV contract from NBC. (I believe the ISU supplies their own complicated judging and scoring system.) But again, these championships are the exception rather than the rule.

Well, the annual Figure Skating World Champs have played in Colorado Springs (like 5x already) Hartford, Cincinnati 1987, ....hold your breath...Minneapolis, Oakland 1992, and of course, Washington DC (well, Maryland really) and LA 2009. Of all the high profile world championships, that is probably the easiest to put on. You just need the major arena and one practice, smaller ice rink, one or two major hotels to house the "official" family -- and you know you can sell tickets for those in North America; and get a major primetime TV contract from NBC. (I believe the ISU supplies their own complicated judging and scoring system.) But again, these championships are the exception rather than the rule.

I'm confused. I don't know what you'er talking about anymore

That's in part because there are 4 tennis majors every year, all with very extensive television coverage, that also happen to be at the same 4 venues every year. I'm amazed sometimes at the crowds they get for the U.S. Open, but a lot of that is being in New York City with all sorts of sponsors lined up to get a piece of the action. Contrast that with say, a FINA World Championships which are a 1 shot deal that isn't as guaranteed to be a success.

And Potato.. you said if they have small championships in a city, it will get attention. baron is talking about having the Figure Skating World Championships at a city in the United States and how it could be a successful. Gymnastics I bet could have some success as well. Beyond that though, a swimming worlds or a track & field worlds get to the point where they may be more trouble than they're worth. Hence why they're a tough sell for any U.S. city to take on.

I followed Baron. The idea is that many of the world championships require large venues and lucrative TV deals that the US isn't going to commit to. By comparison, Figure Skating World Championships are easier to host. As Quaker says, gymnastics could fall into a similar category.

FINA and IAAF are much taller orders. The truth is, even if Tulsa (or Minneapolis or Seattle or whoever) created a venue for one of those events I don't know that it would put them on the Olympic radar.

I know it doesn't make for very interesting conversation, but I think the reality is that there is a shortlist of contenders who can host Summer Games in the US. The good news is that it is still a LIST. Many other countries have only one or two cities that can contemplate the Olympics. We have far more that could legitimately host wonderful Games -- if they decide they want to.

Archived