USA 2024

Athensfan

I guess I misunderstood the above post. Isn't all this recent conversation about Denver's WOG prospects? I wasn't sure why you brought up the World Cup in relation to that....

Someone was talking about how high the altitude was and that's why they couldn't host the world cup, probably aiming towards the olympics as well. Considering the IOC has selected Denver to host the games once already, I don't see altitude being a problem for their bid.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I respect the USOC's decision to keep their thought process private rather than inviting an open contest, but it is a bit frustrating. We have absolutely no clue what is afoot. We don't have much choice other than just waiting... It's a bummer. It could be a year or so before this thread really comes to life again.

I have to say, I respect the USOC's decision to keep their thought process private rather than inviting an open contest, but it is a bit frustrating. We have absolutely no clue what is afoot. We don't have much choice other than just waiting... It's a bummer. It could be a year or so before this thread really comes to life again.

Oh, it'll take more than that. Like, maybe some alderpersons in a city might get the ball rolling, but then NOT everyone's on board, public support is low, etc., etc., so it may just be all false starts.

Like I said, a summer bid is problematic; fraught with headaches. Will California, New York or Illinois agree to guarantee a 2-3 billion undertaking? Probably not.

So, I think we're looking more at a Winter 2026.

Here are Houston's venue plans for the 2024 Olympic Games

Reliant Park/Houston Olympic Park-Track & Field, Soccer, Wrestling,Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Fencing, Judo, Weightlifting, Badminton, Swimming, Handball(prelims), Diving, Synchronized Swimming,Boxing,Rhythmic Gymnastics, Water Polo

Downtown-Toyota Center-Gymnastics, Basketball (finals), Marathon

George R. Brown Convention Center-Main Press Center/International Broadcast Center

University Of Houston-Modern Pentathlon, Olympic Village, Basketball(prelims), Handball(Finals),Opening And Closing Ceremonies

Kemah-Yachting,Triathlon, Beach Volleyball

American Shooting Center-Shooting

Houston Polo Club-Archery

Texas City Reservoir- Rowing,Canoe/Kayak

Dallas-Cowboys Stadium, Cotton Bowl -Soccer (prelims)

San Antonio-Alamodome Soccer (prelims)

College Station- Kyle Field Soccer (prelims)

Austin-Memorial Staduim Soccer (prelims)

Memorial Park/Downtown-Cycling Road

That would be my plan for the venues if Houston plans to bid for 2024.

Oh, it'll take more than that. Like, maybe some alderpersons in a city might get the ball rolling, but then NOT everyone's on board, public support is low, etc., etc., so it may just be all false starts.

Like I said, a summer bid is problematic; fraught with headaches. Will California, New York or Illinois agree to guarantee a 2-3 billion undertaking? Probably not.

So, I think we're looking more at a Winter 2026.

Well, all that is your guesswork which conveniently serves your hopes for Winter Games.

I've always thought Disney World could be a GREAT place for an Olympics. They have the room, they have the hotels, they have the transportation.

OOOOH!! That sounds fun! I'd just be worried that it might be a little to "family friendly" if you know what I mean.....

Here are Houston's venue plans for the 2024 Olympic Games

Reliant Park/Houston Olympic Park-Track & Field, Soccer, Wrestling,Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Fencing, Judo, Weightlifting, Badminton, Swimming, Handball(prelims), Diving, Synchronized Swimming,Boxing,Rhythmic Gymnastics, Water Polo

Downtown-Toyota Center-Gymnastics, Basketball (finals), Marathon

George R. Brown Convention Center-Main Press Center/International Broadcast Center

University Of Houston-Modern Pentathlon, Olympic Village, Basketball(prelims), Handball(Finals),Opening And Closing Ceremonies

Kemah-Yachting,Triathlon, Beach Volleyball

American Shooting Center-Shooting

Houston Polo Club-Archery

Texas City Reservoir- Rowing,Canoe/Kayak

Dallas-Cowboys Stadium, Cotton Bowl -Soccer (prelims)

San Antonio-Alamodome Soccer (prelims)

College Station- Kyle Field Soccer (prelims)

Austin-Memorial Staduim Soccer (prelims)

Memorial Park/Downtown-Cycling Road

That would be my plan for the venues if Houston plans to bid for 2024.

ummm. okay???

I think he is right it still seems there is 0 word coming on anything Summer, and all the winter cities have been talking for years.

The Winter cities have been talking and the USOC bypassed all of them for 2022. There WAS enough time -- particularly because those cities have been "talking for years" as you say. We also have all commented on how Reno, Denver and Salt Lake City all have serious drawbacks.

It's true we haven't heard anything from Summer candidates, but why would we? Everyone was gearing up for 2022 and the USOC pulled the plug. Then the USOC says there won't be a formal domestic process and that everything will be done behind closed doors. Why would any city go public?

The truth is that NO city has gone public about 2024 (apart from Doha) and that includes the likes of Durban. The 2020 race won't be decided for another year. The 2022 race hasn't even started (and it's unclear who will bid for that). Of course, 2024 is murky and there are no public declarations.

When you think that it is likely North America's 'turn' into 2026 and Canada held in 2010, the Winter games would be a 'slam dunk' and cities would be encouraged to come forward as the domestic competition could be the tougher. No anti-Americanism to face.

The problem with Denver, Salt Lake City and Reno/Lake Tahoe is that they all have existing baggage but successful games in 2014, 2018 and 2022 could interest other cities like Portland (OR), Portland (ME), Seattle, Santa Fe, and even Anchorage.

Europe likely would not contend if they hosted in 2014 and 2022, leaving Asia as the opponents.

The Winter cities have been talking and the USOC bypassed all of them for 2022. There WAS enough time -- particularly because those cities have been "talking for years" as you say. We also have all commented on how Reno, Denver and Salt Lake City all have serious drawbacks.

It's true we haven't heard anything from Summer candidates, but why would we? Everyone was gearing up for 2022 and the USOC pulled the plug. Then the USOC says there won't be a formal domestic process and that everything will be done behind closed doors. Why would any city go public?

The truth is that NO city has gone public about 2024 (apart from Doha) and that includes the likes of Durban.

In truth, the USOC has bypassed 2022 because I think it wants to bide its time in paling up with the iOC again. There really was NO rush for 2022 since eventually a WOGs will have to swing back to No. America/the USA sometime soon.

Doha and Baku said they would be back for 2024. And I read the rumblings from Durban as a sure thing. You don't because you are hoping a US city will slip in there. Not unless the USOC manages to twist the arms of New York, I don't think 2024 will be the right strategic move for the USOC.

The problem with Denver, Salt Lake City and Reno/Lake Tahoe is that they all have existing baggage but successful games in 2014, 2018 and 2022 could interest other cities like Portland (OR), Portland (ME), Seattle, Santa Fe, and even Anchorage.

Reno-Tahoe has NO "existing baggage" as you would call it. The 2 Portlands and Santa Fe don't even come close to the other 3. Same thing with Seattle and uninterested, boring Anchorage which are in the same corner of the continent as Vancouver, so that rules them out as well.

The IOC loves to revisit previous Games sites; two St. Mortiz's, two Lake Placids, two Norway's, 3 Innsbrucks, 2 French Alps towns, and if (bloody) Munich 2022 might happen, why should a revisit of the Squaw Valley 1960 environs be such a distant thing?

Reno-Tahoe has NO "existing baggage" as you would call it. The 2 Portlands and Santa Fe don't even come

Apart from Reno being dog ugly and unattractive.

Portland-Mt Hood in Oregon is a combination which could work. Same with Seattle-Crystal Mountain.

2026 won't be decided until 2019. Plenty of time to get interested.

Same thing with Seattle and uninterested, boring Anchorage which are in the same corner of the continent as Vancouver, so that rules them out as well.

why should a revisit of the Squaw Valley 1960 environs be such a distant thing?

So are the French, German, Swiss, Italian and Austrian Alps but the IOC visit that corner time and again.

And it wouldn't be just Squaw Valley - its like Cinderella having to take the Ugly Sister on every date

Apart from Reno being dog ugly and unattractive.

2026 won't be decided until 2019. Plenty of time to get interested.

So are the French, German, Swiss, Italian and Austrian Alps but the IOC visit that corner time and again.

And it wouldn't be just Squaw Valley - its like Cinderella having to take the Ugly Sister on every date

Oh, please. U've been brain-washed by that virulent anti-Reno renegade.

#1 - It'll be covered in snow.

#2 - The money shots will be in the Lake; and the broadcasts in Reno will be from the inside venues.

#3 - As you said, the Games won't be for another 14 years; so you don't think a town can prettify itself? What are Hollywood and Vegas designers for? Duh!! Think outside the box.

Doha and Baku said they would be back for 2024. And I read the rumblings from Durban as a sure thing. You don't because you are hoping a US city will slip in there. Not unless the USOC manages to twist the arms of New York, I don't think 2024 will be the right strategic move for the USOC.

There is no such thing as a sure thing. We thought South Africa 2020 was a sure thing and it didn't happen, so until they say so, I don't think we can assume Durban is in.

I think you're right though about 2024. That the USOC has flipped the process, essentially saying "don't call us, we'll call you" may or may not produce much in terms of viable bid cities. We know L.A. is always out there. Maybe San Francisco figures out their stadium issues. New York and Chicago seem unlikely. So I don't know where they go from there. I know the theory from at least 1 poster here says Summer needs to be priority and that Winter needs to be tabled in order to protect summer, but let's face it.. 2026 could fall right into out laps and it would be foolish to pass that up simply to preserve our chances at a Summer bid.

Oy.. we need to stop throwing darts at the board and pretending these cities are magically going to enter the discussion. There are 3 cities/regions very prominently thumping their chests and trying to position themselves as the next U.S. Winter Olympics host. I know the 2019 vote is a ways off, but what does 2014/2018 have anything to do with those other cities that 2010, an Olympics on this continent, wouldn't have inspired them for? Particularly Anchorage who had their shot and the USOC basically told them "nevermind, our bad for not realizing you were the wrong choice earlier." Denver and Reno/Tahoe have been at this for DECADES. Salt Lake obviously got theirs, so take from that what you want. It's not impossible that another city will come to the forefront, but those cities are going to have their own baggage, and that's if they can even hope to meet the technical requirements (both written and unwritten) to host a Winter Olympics. I don't see it happening in the 21st Century.

And gromit, as a new poster, a fair warning to you.. baron wants nothing more than to see an Olympics in the Reno/Lake Tahoe area and he will fight to the death to convince the world that needs to happen. So if you're looking to have that argument with him as many of us have had here before, do so at your own peril.

Archived