USA 2024

Athensfan

Yes. And that is what the USOC indicated when they announced the 5-member exploratory committee. I think this quieter process will be less expensive and more efficient, but I also think it will be more frustrating to us because we won't have any idea what's happening behind closed doors for extended periods of time.

That doesn't mean we need to stop talking about the cities we want to bid, that should bid, and ones that we think could win.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on some of their comments, they are a world away from smart. When they don't like other people offering another opinion they make things personal and twist whatever has been said. Their lackeys jump on the bankwagon because they don't have a mind of their own.

And what makes you such an "expert" then?? Is it bcuz you want to be crowned "lord of gamesbids" & no one will nominate your "weak" points. Get over yourself, please!

ANd the only only who has made things "personal" is you, by insulting & being deaming if anyones dares challenges your so-called "expertise". :rolleyes:

OK, whatever. The brightest minds on this forum...ON TOPIC...have entertained, indulged your notion of MSP -- have given you ALL the reasons...yet you persist (which is your option). Perhaps we should get you a door with the little window...then we wouldn't be at an impasse. ;)

for the love of god ... MSP was NOT MY NOTION. Another poster provided a link to an article about MSP on facebook - I looked at it and stumbled across another page where they'd mapped out a location plus a site where a pdf was published by their state govt website. Its called googling. Yet no-one wants to discuss the actual merits and personally attack those that do.

Some discussion board.

And why was that poster Sir Rols bringing it up again if it has already been discussed to death?

Besides, it wasn't just the facebook article. U've talked about MSP before that.

And why was that poster Sir Rols bringing it up again if it has already been discussed to death?

It was made in jest.

Some discussion board.

Especially with the likes of you.

Have you been silenced, Crusader? Has anyone gagged you?

Don't you wonder why this keeps happening to you? Why you get embroiled in conflict so habitually? Doesn't it make you wonder if perhaps it's time for a new way of life rather than just a new name?

You see here it is.

Those people interested in offering a different opinion are accused of having been other people under different names etc. It would appear you make a habit of making these accusations in an attempt to silence people.

I looked up the names of these posters you keep mention. It appears one just walked away, whilst the other got so frustrated they they got banned.

Clearly everyone is equally allowing to offer their opinions.

for the love of god ... MSP was NOT MY NOTION. Another poster provided a link to an article about MSP on facebook - I looked at it and stumbled across another page where they'd mapped out a location plus a site where a pdf was published by their state govt website. Its called googling. Yet no-one wants to discuss the actual merits and personally attack those that do.

Some discussion board.

Do you know how many times Tulsa has been brought up? And because 2 crackpots in that town think they're a viable Olympic host, their name keeps coming up. Minneapolis is light years ahead of them, but there's about 5 people here (including many of the regulars in this thread) who think it's not going to work. We've all offered reasons as to why which you disagree with, just as you have offered reasons which we disagree with. Your line of reasoning wasn't "I think you're wrong, and I'll tell you why" but more like "how can you all be dismissive of Minneapolis?" That many of us here share an opinion doesn't mean we're right, but it does mean that maybe we don't want to have the discussion just because you think we're all so wrong.

You see here it is.

Those people interested in offering a different opinion are accused of having been other people under different names etc. It would appear you make a habit of making these accusations in an attempt to silence people.

I looked up the names of these posters you keep mention. It appears one just walked away, whilst the other got so frustrated they they got banned.

Fine. You want you're opinion heard. Let's hear it.

You see here it is.

You see, this is what makes conversation impossible. You know very well why. You are choosing this path. Don't make us the villains.

Fine. You want you're opinion heard. Let's hear it.

Why bother?

I'm simply be called someone else who is no longer posting.

You see, this is what makes conversation impossible. You know very well why. You are choosing this path. Don't make us the villains.

You are achieving that yourself without any help from me

Enough thread pollution. Seriously. Enough.

There is no way through this. Nothing will be achieved. One alter ego will fall and another will take its place. Time for the rest of us to move on. I strongly suggest that we all leave Crusader to his own devices and just get back to enjoying the boards. Everything else is fruitless.

We've all offered reasons as to why which you disagree with, just as you have offered reasons which we disagree with. Your line of reasoning wasn't "I think you're wrong, and I'll tell you why" but more like "how can you all be dismissive of Minneapolis?" That many of us here share an opinion doesn't mean we're right, but it does mean that maybe we don't want to have the discussion just because you think we're all so wrong.

Actually that is wrong.

It was said Minneapolis is not well known. I pointed out that they've had regular flights to both Europe AND Asia for decades and airlines don't waste money like that unless people want to make those journeys (incidentally neither Boston or Philadelphia have Asian flights). And the result? My response was ignored. I was then told Minneapolis didn't have enough big companies. According to Forbes it has the 5th highest concentration of Fortune500 companies in the US ahead of Chicago, LA, Philadephia, SF and Boston. And the result? My response was ignored. You claim my sole response is 'How can you be so dismissive ...?" ... that is simply not true.

Yet people continue to support SF because it looks nice.

Actually that is wrong.

It was said Minneapolis is not well known. I pointed out that they've had regular flights to both Europe AND Asia for decades and airlines don't waste money like that unless people want to make those journeys (incidentally neither Boston or Philadelphia have Asian flights). And the result? My response was ignored. I was then told Minneapolis didn't have enough big companies. According to Forbes it has the 5th highest concentration of Fortune500 companies in the US ahead of Chicago, LA, Philadephia, SF and Boston. And the result? My response was ignored. You claim my sole response is 'How can you be so dismissive ...?" ... that is simply not true.

Yet people continue to support SF because it looks nice.

Nice helps. The Games in Vancouver, Rio, Barcelona are/will not be too shabby from a broadcaster's POV. Not unless you want kinda flat, rather generic cities.

So what if MPS is the 5th largest concentration of Fortune 500? Frankfurt is Germany's financial capital, yet I've never heard or seen any German pushing Frankfurt as their strongest Olympic bid city. :blink: If NYC was passed over, do you really think being the 5th corporate capital or having the so-called "3rd largest theatre" market will swing it for MSP in a field vs. the likes of Paris, Durban, Istanbul, Osaka, Madrid, even Dubai??

So there, counter me with a sane argument that those factors u cite will be selling pts that the USOC can realistically use for MSP in a high-stakes battle?

I'm simply be called someone else who is no longer posting.

And here I thought you'd put us all on ignore.

Okay, so you deny you're BlackSheep (a poster who denied he was Kernowboy). Fine, fair enough. I should hope so. It'd really be lame for someone to be so thin-skinned that they keep striding off in a petulant huff and started new accounts whenever anybody had the temerity to refute points they posted. Pretty infantile – and you do seem intelligent enough. And, of course, as you mentioned a day or two ago, BS was banned. That's quite an achievement on a board with fairly relaxed moderation and a tradition of vigorous debate. You really gotta try hard and be a serial offender. What got everyone's back up about BS was his constant antagonistic and snide posting, seeming to pick fights with just about everyone. Most of us who've been here for a long while disagree – sometimes very strongly – with each other. I know I sure don't see eye to eye with the likes of FYI, Athensfan and Baron (to name some of those you've said you've blocked) on a lot of issues. The thing is, though, we basically learn to agree to disagree and not keep harping on with the same points over and over like picking at a scab – and its not like many opinions here can be “proved” or “disproved” in the short term anyway. It means when we do discuss and debate our differences of opinion on various topics, it's enjoyable rather than nasty. You might want to look back on BS's posts and see the type of posting that basically put him offside with everyone – would hate to see you follow in his footsteps, and your posts so far remind a lot of us of him and rake over many of the exact same topics as his. Just calm down and accept that everyone has different opinions.

Crusader, what is your opinion?

I think there are about a dozen cities in the USA, with the potential ability to host the games. As forum members we cannot guess what motivates the IOC decision making process. As new delegates join that forum, they might be attracted to and inclined to vote for different things. The USOC tried with the big banner cities like Chicago and NY and for whatever reason it didn't work. A option to present a candidate that offers something new and off the wall might entice some whether it be history like Boston or Philly, a different culture like MSP or Miami or the Texans, an environmental games like Seattle?

If a local backer like Paul Allen in Seattle is prepared to pay up the bidding costs ($30m+) and if the USOC are prepared to help to get the bid as technically competent as possible, then why not let them go for it, especially if the bigger bidders offer something less novel, inspiring, technically competent etc and simply rely on their name. Even if the bid loses to the likes of Paris or South Africa, the USA have not lost as the USOC have got more experience of playing the IOC game again. You've got to be in it to win it.

But if the new IOC is about legacy, redevelopment of run down areas, infrastructure improvements then any bidder from the USA needs to show that IMO. Most IOC members will have visited Chicago, NY, LA as representatives of their sport, profession etc. Why not consider showing them a part of the USA they might not have seen? No harm, no foul.

And here I thought you'd put us all on ignore.

Okay, so you deny you're BlackSheep (a poster who denied he was Kernowboy). Fine, fair enough. I should hope so. It'd really be lame for someone to be so thin-skinned that they keep striding off in a petulant huff and started new accounts whenever anybody had the temerity to refute points they posted. Pretty infantile – and you do seem intelligent enough. And, of course, as you mentioned a day or two ago, BS was banned. That's quite an achievement on a board with fairly relaxed moderation and a tradition of vigorous debate. You really gotta try hard and be a serial offender. What got everyone's back up about BS was his constant antagonistic and snide posting, seeming to pick fights with just about everyone. Most of us who've been here for a long while disagree – sometimes very strongly – with each other. I know I sure don't see eye to eye with the likes of FYI, Athensfan and Baron (to name some of those you've said you've blocked) on a lot of issues. The thing is, though, we basically learn to agree to disagree and not keep harping on with the same points over and over like picking at a scab – and its not like many opinions here can be “proved” or “disproved” in the short term anyway. It means when we do discuss and debate our differences of opinion on various topics, it's enjoyable rather than nasty. You might want to look back on BS's posts and see the type of posting that basically put him offside with everyone – would hate to see you follow in his footsteps, and your posts so far remind a lot of us of him and rake over many of the exact same topics as his. Just calm down and accept that everyone has different opinions.

I've not blocked Baron.

I have blocked anyone who have suggested that I am this Blacksheep or Kernowboy. Clearly they have no interest in healthy debate and discussion and seek to make things personal. Whilst I might occasionally respond to a deliberate inaccuracy, have no intention of discussing anything with them on a regular basis. I have already been called an idiot, told I have dementia, and described as an as*hole .. comments made by others who suggest they prefer to make things nasty than keep things enjoyable.

What I find ironic is that by posting my opinions and challenging the opinions of others I have merited this sort of antagonism. If people want to behave like that, then I will discuss different opinions with others and those who are blocked will remain so.

Archived