USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the Oakland A's need a new stadium. Because of the proximity of the two cities, if baseball were to be added back, I could see it happening.

For the current olympic events though? Where would track and field, basketball, gymnastics, and those are the simple venues. What about sailing and canoeing. Other cities have at least an idea of what they could do. I don't believe SanFran does at the moment.

The NBA's Golden State Warriors are moving to a new arena in SF in 2017. They started in SF but have also played in Oakland and San Jose since moving to California from Philadelphia.

I'm sure University of San Francisco (NCAA Division I) and San Francisco State University (NCAA Division II) facilities would have come into play, and some events would be held at Stanford (Palo Alto, between San Francisco and San Jose) and at California-Berkley (closer to Oakland). Losing the 49ers, though, renders it all moot.

It's natural that people out there (including those of Tulsa) want the Olympics to be held in their towns. We all love our towns and sometimes that love takes over reality. What matters is bringing the Olympics to the US: something New York City and Chicago couldn't accomplish.

Chicago can step up and try again. Let's face it their last bid was good and they can provide a better one for sure now that they have learned from the previous bid. I just hope it won't be one of those towns where it's so hot and humid.

It may be a nice city, it may have a better chance then Tulsa or Cincinnati, but it is not going to host anytime soon.

I wouldn't suspect they'd be bidding for 2024 more than likely 2028 plus

I think Miami would be a blast. I just doubt they'll come up with something workable for 2024.

I wouldn't presume to dispute you at all, but I would contend based on the fact that it is their officially stated desire to host the Games and based on planned, and in some cases active, infrastructure improvements particularly in regards to transport and city developments, not to mention the economy is starting to recover, albeit slowly, down here we could possibly and I stress possibly, though while not probable, come up with some with some workable plan. It would just require proper leadership, which of course is no small consideration.

Of course other than my first love, I would strongly root for a Washington D.C. (Baltimore) bid. As much as I would also enjoy a Games in say Philly or Boston, I think with a good plan they could beat the big four (NYC, CHI, LA, SF) in a domestic race and be on a level field with a Paris, Rome, Berlin etc. After all it's one of the power centers of the world.

MIAOlyFan20

Can you clarify the following?

How realistic could either the Dadeland Mall or the block called Industrial Section both of the S.Dixie Hwy be available to be redeveloped? I've often heard that South Miami is pretty run down

Miami Hurricanes Football play at the SunLife which is over 20miles from campus. Previously the Orange Bowl (now the Marlins Ballpark) was less than 7miles

Would the Uni of Miami be happy to be the new primary tenant of the Olympic Stadium even if the design was not ideal? If they used Dadeland it would be less than 4miles to the SW whilst 'Industrial Section is a mere 2 miles north of campus.

Turn either of these into an Olympic Park with a Stadium and you've got a realistic bid with a post games legacy.

It's natural that people out there (including those of Tulsa) want the Olympics to be held in their towns. We all love our towns and sometimes that love takes over reality. What matters is bringing the Olympics to the US: something New York City and Chicago couldn't accomplish.

Chicago can step up and try again. Let's face it their last bid was good and they can provide a better one for sure now that they have learned from the previous bid. I just hope it won't be one of those towns where it's so hot and humid.

I don't think that NYC and Chicago should be ruled out for many reasons. NYC's bid was pretty bad but their competition was much more difficult then Chicago's. Chicago lost because the revenue problem between the USOC and IOC. Judging these cities on their past bids are unfair. I think any major city should not be ruled out at all. The only cities that should be ruled out are minor cities like Tulsa, Vegas, and Columbus.

It is dangerously naïve to believe that a revenue deal was what kept Chicago from winning. It came in last. Badly. Nobody here knows why it lost. All we can do is guess.

For all we know, the ICO voters found Chicago boring. They want a party city like Rio. Or Miami. Or Vegas.

The IOC does not want a party city. They want an international city that has a capable to host the olympic games. Rio won because it would be able to not only host a great games but show the Brazilian culture. I doubt Las Vegas or Miami could do that.

It is dangerously naïve to believe that a revenue deal was what kept Chicago from winning. It came in last. Badly. Nobody here knows why it lost. All we can do is guess.

It's not the only reason, of course. It was Rio's time, and too soon to go back to the US after its four games since 1980. Miami or Vegas would have beaten Rio.

But it's also naive to think the revenue deal, and the USOC's proposal to set up their own Olympic TV network, didn't have a bearing. I also still firmly believe the whole kerfuffle over "will Obama go to Copenhagen or not" didn't do Chicago any favours - it basically sent the message to the IOC that the US thought personality, rather than its bid, was enough to sway it Chicago's way.

In so many ways the USOC was its own worst enemy in the 2016 race.

I wonder if this guy's one of us GamesBidders?

Coon Rapids man starts effort to bring 2024 Olympics to Twin Cities

Cameron Thomsen wants to bring the 2024 Summer Olympic Games to the Twin Cities.

thomsen-300x199.jpg

The 20-year-old Coon Rapids resident has launched a Facebook page to test the waters of public support and gain interest for such a venture.

“It would bring lots of business to many areas of Minnesota, make Minnesota a travel destination for years to come and it would be fun,” Thomsen said.

And his project has generated interest.

By early this week, Thomsen’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/2024TwinCities had 5,296 likes.

His is currently the second biggest Facebook page supporting a city for the 2024 Olympics, Thomsen said.

Thomsen, who has lived in Coon Rapids all his life, is a 2010 graduate of Coon Rapids High School and plans to attend the Institute of Production and Recording in Minneapolis this fall with an eye to a career in sound design/sound effects.

Watching the 2012 Summer Olympics from London, England, a few weeks ago sparked both his interest and enthusiasm to start the Facebook page.

“It is an effort to show community interest in bringing the Summer Olympics to the Twin Cities,” Thomsen said.

Thomsen launched his Facebook page Aug. 8 just as the London Olympic Games, which he watched on TV a great deal, was coming to an end.

His goal is to reach at least 100,000 likes on his Facebook page.

“They have been increasing exponentially,” Thomsen said.

And Thomsen has an app on his cell phone through which he can track the updates to his Facebook page, he said.

He has also had help on the Facebook project from his girlfriend, Madelyn Smith.

His goal is simple – to generate enough public support in a common goal to bring the Summer Olympic Games to the Twin Cities in 2024, according to Thomsen.

“It would be so cool,” Thomsen said. “I would love to be able to go to Olympic Games events in the Twin Cities.”

Thomsen realizes that it would be costly to provide the necessary facilities in the Twin Cities to host a Summer Olympic Games, he said.

Which is why Thomsen said it is important to get the support of the Twin Cities public before approaching political and business leaders about getting on board with an Olympic Games bid.

But in the long run, the Twin Cities region and the state of Minnesota as a whole would benefit from hosting the Summer Olympics, Thomsen said.

There have been past efforts to bring the Summer Olympics to the Twin Cities, he said.

According to Thomsen, the Twin Cities was a runnerup in 1996 when Atlanta, Ga., was the choice of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and became the last U.S. city to host the Olympics after it was picked by the International Olympics Committee (IOC), the world governing body of the Olympic Games.

Thomsen also pointed to the efforts of State Rep. Melissa Hortman, DFL-Brooklyn Park/Coon Rapids, back in 2006 to make the Twin Cities home to the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Hortman and 19 House authors introduced legislation for the creation of a task force to determine whether Minnesota would benefit economically from making a bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, according to a press release from her office in March 2006.

It would create jobs for the state and provide a deadline for much needed transportation projects in the metro area, Hortman stated at the time.

The legislation was not passed and no American city has made the shortlist to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Either Istanbul, Turkey, Tokyo, Japan, or Madrid, Spain, will be selected by the IOC Sept. 7, 2013.

The 2016 Olympics will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The site for the 2024 Summer Olympics won’t be announced by the IOC until 2017 with bidding for the host city starting in 2015.

According to the Wikipedia website, there are potential bids from several cities in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, including Toronto, Canada, Dallas, Texas, Baltimore-Washington and Tulsa, Okla.

Thomsen is hoping that his Facebook page will result in the Twin Cities joining the mix, he said.

ABC Newspapers

For all we know, the ICO voters found Chicago boring. They want a party city like Rio. Or Miami. Or Vegas.

I strongly disagree with this. Chicago lost because of the revenue deal, unreliable USOC leadership, frequent American hosting in the recent past and an international desire to keep the US at arm's length in the wake of war in Iraq.

Chicago is a fascinating, gorgeous city. Their bid was arguably the best American bid ever presented to the IOC.

And of course, most of all, the IOC wanted to go to South America for the first time.

I know many of the Americans here quite like the LA24 idea, but I gotta confess, the prospect doesn't really excite me or fire my enthusiasm.

I like the idea of Los Angeles, but my gut says that 2024 may still be too soon. Also, I'm not convinced that California state government is ready to support Olympic Games.

For LA to have any chance, they have to come out swinging with a clear, bold vision that dispels any worries that the next LA Games might be "been there, done that." There is definitely potential, the question is whether there is a team that can capitalize on it.

And how exactly, do you know that "the IOC wants a party city"? Did you poll them? Ask them? Sleep with them to find out?

I find this comment SO fascinating, especially when you get all bent outta shape when people here automatically rule out "boring", non-viable cities like Louisville, Tulsa N Columbus. Extreme double standards, to say the least.

I know many of the Americans here quite like the LA24 idea, but I gotta confess, the prospect doesn't really excite me or fire my enthusiasm.

Ummmm, okay. But what about if the choices R L.A., Minneapolis, Louisville or Tulsa? Which would u choose?! :lol:

I wonder if this guy's one of us GamesBidders?

Ugh, like the main annoying MSP one.

And how exactly, do you know that "the IOC wants a party city"? Did you poll them? Ask them? Sleep with them to find out?

I find this comment SO fascinating, especially when you get all bent outta shape when people here automatically rule out "boring", non-viable cities like Louisville, Tulsa N Columbus. Extreme double standards, to say the least.

For some people, iconoclasm is a drug.

The idea of LA24 is nice, but I don't think they'll be able to put out a great bid. It may show the city's appeal and all their great idea's but that may be the downfall as well. LA has all the venues from the 1984 olympics except a few. Why would the IOC want everything to be the exact same when they could explore a whole new part of the country and world.

The idea of LA24 is nice, but I don't think they'll be able to put out a great bid. It may show the city's appeal and all their great idea's but that may be the downfall as well. LA has all the venues from the 1984 olympics except a few. Why would the IOC want everything to be the exact same when they could explore a whole new part of the country and world.

I really don't think LA 2024 would use all the same venues -- not at all. Their proposal for 2016 was very different.

Can't find the bid book online, but here's the Wikipedia entry on the 2016 bid.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_bid_for_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Venues on that list that weren't around in 1984 include Staples Center, Honda Center, Galen Center (at USC), Walter Pyramid (Long Beach State), and the Home Depot Center (could host football prelims as well as tennis. So there would be plenty of new venues from the last Olympics.

I think most of us are in some agreement over the status of Los Angeles. We know there would be pretty high public support (although there are budget issues that could drag those numbers down) and there are plenty of venues in place, although a couple of the big ones (most notably the main stadium) would need to be figured into the plan. And if the IOC was keen on going someplace they are familiar and comfortable with, Los Angeles would be ideal. But that's not what they're looking for. They're looking for big and glamorous and to leave an imprint on a city that will last a liftime. So the question remains how would a 2024 Los Angeles Olympics differ from 1984 and what legacy would another Olympics offer that didn't get left the first time. A few people have thrown out ideas, but it's something LA would need to come up with to compete in an International field. The rhetoric can't be about hosting for a 3rd time. It's hard to make comparisons there because London's last hosting was in 1948 when they were still digging themselves out of the ashes of World War II. And needless to say, 64 years from 1948 to 2012 is a lot more than the 40 from 1984 to 2024.

I know none of this is new, but considering L.A,'s almost permanent status as the perpetual Olympic host hopeful, they'll always be in the discussion. Again, if the competition was framed different and the IOC was looking for familiarity and experience rather than glamorous new frontiers, Los Angeles would be in a great position. But that's not how the game works, especially not with cities like Paris and countries like South Africa ready to get in line to host, each of which would probably make for a strong case over good old reliable Los Angeles.

And London is a party city? I doubt the IOC is looking for a Miami or a Vegas. I'm sure they'd love a multi-cultural city full of restaurants and shopping and museums in addition to some nightlife. London fit the bill for that perfectly. Rio is certainly more of a party city in that regard, but it's a new frontier, so it made them appealing.

You're right, we don't know why Chicago lost. But like Athens, I'm going to disagree with you as well and say it's probably equally naive to think that the revenue deal and the requisite geo-politics didn't play at least some role in Chicago's loss, and it was probably a big one. We don't know how the IOC voters thought of Chicago. However good or bad their bid really was on technical merit, you almost have to get the sense that wasn't going to be the deciding factor anyway. Not with Rio in the field. It's easy now to say it was their time even though you could have made a case for any of the 4 cities to win. However, with the benefit of hindsight, it seems like their intention was to never give the Olympics to Chicago, even though there were those that thought they would win. Same thing happened with NYC 4 years earlier. I think the thing we all need to remember is that we can evaluate and scrutinize these bids to death, but all that really matters in the end is the preferences of those 100+ voters, all of whom have their own motivations that we know are not always tied to the strength and quality of the bid.

Archived