USA 2024

Athensfan

And it was their first time bidding.

No. In the domestic race, NYC tried to be the 1984 US nominee vs. LA. A committee was commissioned by then Mayor Abe Beame; and it was headed by then (I think William) Bennett (the one who went on to become a future Secretary of Education). They had drawn up initial plans (like having the Nations parade down Broadway and accorded the then-famous Wall Street ticker tape parade receptions) but it didn't get very far because (1) LA already had the USOC's eye (even though the USOC was located on Madison Avenue then), having already been the USOC candidate for the 1976 and 1980 competitions; and (2) the New York Legislature (composed of a lot of upstate politicians) were already locked in to backing the awarded Lake Placid 1980 Winter Games. Those 1977 NYC plans didn't go as far as the 2005 bid, but it did draw a couple of front-page stories in The New York Times.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the any pictures or anything related to NYC 1977 plan?

I don't think it even went into the detailed renderings phase. At that time, it was just listing existing facilities and maybe a rough b&w rendering or two. As I said, it didn't go anywhere as near as the final stages of the 2005 bid did. I have some clippings of the 1977 NYT reports but I;m too lazy to dig them up right now.

No. In the domestic race, NYC tried to be the 1984 US nominee vs. LA. A committee was commissioned by then Mayor Abe Beame; and it was headed by then (I think William) Bennett (the one who went on to become a future Secretary of Education). They had drawn up initial plans (like having the Nations parade down Broadway and accorded the then-famous Wall Street ticker tape parade receptions) but it didn't get very far because (1) LA already had the USOC's eye (even though the USOC was located on Madison Avenue then), having already been the USOC candidate for the 1976 and 1980 competitions; and (2) the New York Legislature (composed of a lot of upstate politicians) were already locked in to backing the awarded Lake Placid 1980 Winter Games. Those 1977 NYC plans didn't go as far as the 2005 bid, but it did draw a couple of front-page stories in The New York Times.

I was born in 1978, so I know little of that bid other than that the IOC basically told the USOC to pick the nominee and it was either L.A. or New York. I'll have to go dig up some of those articles, but that's interesting about using the Canyon of Heroes.

It's ironic to note the timeline of events here though. By having the `84 Olympics in L.A., they held the football final at the Rose Bowl. That's widely believed to have been the impetus for the United States for bid for and win the 1994 World Cup. And it was the `94 World Cup that inspired Dan Doctoroff to push an NYC Olympic bid. It all comes full circle!

I meant bidding against international cities, not national cities and why they lost the 2012 bid.

One city had to go out first in the vote and sadly for the US it was Chicago. If I'm honest I don't like the use of the word 'snubbed' either. But to be fair Athensfan only used it once and in passing. I don't think we need to have a great big debate about it. He's been clear in numurous other posts that he feels 2016 wasn't the right time for the US in hindsight, he's hardly what I'd call a blind patriot when it comes to these things.

Thanks, Rob. Although I cheered for Chicago throughout, I actually always thought 2016 was still too soon for the US. I admit I allowed my hopes to swell a bit prior to the release of the Evaluation Report, but the second I saw it I knew the IOC was dead set on Rio.

I am happy to change the word choice. I do think it's fair to say that Chicago's early exit is not reflective of the quality of that bid and that it was understandably perceived as an affront by many.

Everything I've posted in this thread has been serious, why would I start joking around now?

Getting harder and harder to take you seriously. Columbus as an Olympic host? Las Vegas would work because people would come for the implosions? Disney World would be great because they have the transportation? Those are weak ideas to say the least, and as has been the theme of this thread, if that was the best the USOC had to go with (which it isn't.. there's a layer of bad before we start getting to the real potential candidates), they would say screw it and not bid

Hey they already have a tagline "Where dreams come true"

But yeah, Disney World is hardly something any of us can take seriously. You would have been better to propose Orlando as the host city, than say Disney World, but Orlando is in no position to take on the Olympics, nor would they need or probably want to.

I think the U.S. has a lot more than just an amusement park and disfigured versions of European folk tales to offer to the world.

America has a great chance of hosting the 2024 Olympics. If the USOC won't commit itself to making that happen, Disneyland in 2024 will be pretty close to the Olympic Village... that of Paris, France!

Is it possible to make people take a certain IQ test so they can post on this thread. Seriously, Tulsa, Columbus, Disneyland??? Before posting, think what you're about to say and if it is actually possible. I like hearing all the ideas about where they can be held, but when it's somewhere like the places that I previously stated you can add Narnia to the list.

No no, Disney World. Big difference.

Anyway, a serious contender, should they wish to bid, is Missoula, Montana. If not for a Summer Olympics, then a Winter Olympics would be good too, since there are mountains very close by.

Thanks for clearing that up for all us.. now we know not to take you seriously. Missoula is a contender? In what universe is that the case?

WARNING: do not feed the troll

These are NOT outlandish suggestions by any means dude. I'm sure you're the guy who thought "Atlanta? WHERE?" when they bid.

Now I admit the Disney World bid was a bit extreme, but like I said, they already have the infastructure in place. They actually wouldn't need to build a stadium for the Opening/Closing ceremonies. Just hold it at the Magic Kingdom. Have the Parade of Nations down Main Street USA. Use Cinderalla's Castle as the Cauldron.

These are NOT outlandish suggestions by any means dude. I'm sure you're the guy who thought "Atlanta? WHERE?" when they bid.

Now I admit the Disney World bid was a bit extreme, but like I said, they already have the infastructure in place. They actually wouldn't need to build a stadium for the Opening/Closing ceremonies. Just hold it at the Magic Kingdom. Have the Parade of Nations down Main Street USA. Use Cinderalla's Castle as the Cauldron.

TrollSpray.jpg

Seriously dude.. when you wanted to push for Las Vegas, I think we could all entertain that, outlandish as it may seems. It's bad enough when these threads turn into pissing contests, but do you really need to start trolling around for your own amusement?

So that's a "no" to Missoula?

You brought up Missoula. So make the case for them. Tell us why you they they're a serious contender, should they wish to bid, if not for a Summer Olympics, than for a Winter Olympics. Think you might need to give us a little more than "there are mountains nearby"

Let's see...what far-out name can I throw in here...not already suggested by Pyro that's both laughable and credible?? Bakersfield, CA? :lol: Paducah, Tennessee? :lol: Des Moines, Iowa? I know the river in Des Moines rises when it rains, so that'll take care of a rowing course and maybe all the aqua needs of a Des Moines Games.

Let's see...what else...

Archived