USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from the Olympic Park having seen the Athletics and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW.

The stadium is stunning and is so cleverly designed that although I was in the lower tier, the view across the stadium was excellent. I had taken binoculars because I was concerned about the impact the track would have for viewing distances - never used them once. And going up to the top tier, the view of the entire field and the detail you could see was excellent.

The point I am making is that if a US city bidding could find a post games tenant, they could easily use the 80,000 seat stadium with no need to remove the track allowing for future use in a Pan-American Games, a World Championships etc as well as an American Football team as principal user.

A bid which can have the main stadium, Aquatics centre, Water Polo arena, Velodrome, BMX Track, Basketball Arena and Hockey Field within 20 minutes with a huge Olympic Village would really be a eye-opener for the IOC and really accelerate any prospects for a successful bid.

But there is a US city that could do this?

Here's one U.S. that could meet all those qualifications.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114477269073372138169.000480686fe9002585c80

Well Wembley is England's national stadium and since the Olympic Station will be changed to a 60,000 seater - any major events will use the 90,000 seater Wembley.

I think it's crucial for a football club to take over the stadium for it to have regular use.

There's no hard and fast decision yet about the capacity reduction - that was when the original bidding for post games use occured. As that got thrown out, the new deal is for anyone who might move in to be a tenant only.

Barcelona, Munich, Seville etc all have a large athletics type stadium without a football club which sees regular usage.

If you take the Diamond League Grand Prix held at Crystal Palace, that could easily triple or quadruple the attendance when held at the Olympic Stadium .... some club rugby games could easily be held there ... and the arena has shown it can be easily adapted for other types of events which could include cricket especially 20/20.

Now that it is built all you require to cover are maintenance costs and due to the fact it is very much a 'flat pack' venue without a lot of bells and whistles such as executive boxes, this cost would be comparatively low. Considering how popular the athletics have been I imagine they'd want to retain the 80,000 seat capacity until after the 2017 IAAF World Championships.

Such as an American Football team? Goodell wants to put a team in London, well, there's your stadium right there.

No.

If there ever was an American Football team, it would be based at Wembley, because the Olympic Stadium lacks any of the frills required.

Anyway, American Football is such a minor sport there will never be a London franchise. The odd game is occasionally popular especially with visiting Americans and US Service People here, but I think must people here regard it as fat blokes moving very short distances with lots of protective padding on.

I also believe that the closed shop nature of NFL ownership would run contrary to European competition law

Chicago's stadium problem is one likely to be encountered in any of the major US cities bidding, so in the context of this thread it's not really much of an issue

You could argue that LA have a solution.

What has been discussed in previous threads is whether there is a University or College within a city which might quite like to take over a stadium rather than share as the lesser partner with a NFL team.

And lets not forget whoever becomes the US candidate will come up against some of the world's great or iconic cities and their solutions will have to stand scrutiny with them.

It's interesting that you guys were making fun of Cleveland, but they HAVE bid for two Summer Olympics in the past...

For 1916 and 1920. How's that working out for Cleveland?

You cannot honestly be serious in thinking Cleveland could host the Olympics? It's not even a remotely well known US city, even within the US.

It's interesting that you guys were making fun of Cleveland, but they HAVE bid for two Summer Olympics in the past...

this was in an era when as many cities could bid from a country as they liked.

Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Detroit have all bid multiple times before one city per country was selected

Here are the US cities which bid per games

1916: Cleveland

1920: Cleveland, Atlanta, Philadelphia

1924: Los Angeles

1928: Los Angeles

1932: Los Angeles (hosts)

1944: Detroit

1948: Baltimore, LA, Philadelphia, Minneapolis

1952: Chicago, Detroit, LA, Philadelphia, Minneapolis

1956: Chicago, Detroit, LA, Philadelphia, San Francisco

1960: Detroit

1964: Detroit

1968: Detroit

1972: Detroit

1976: LA

1980: LA

1984: LA (hosts) and New York

I joke around as a C-bus guy, but really the Buckeye state is where it's at. If Cleveland could make a solid bid I'd be behind it.

You cannot honestly be serious in thinking Cleveland could host the Olympics? It's not even a remotely well known US city, even within the US.

Ohio is not glitzy like NY or LA, it's not tropical like Florida, or exotic like Alaska, but we are a pretty big state. We don't get a lot of attention but really Ohio is kind of a big deal. Three cities in the top 35 markets (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy) of the US another two in the top 75 (Dayton, and Toledo) right in the heart of the Great Lakes Megalopolis. Yeah we're not flashy, and yeah we'll probably never host a games, but don't put us down, like a jerk.

Cleveland won't play with the IOC. Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Tokyo, Cleveland?

There are many American cities that could stage technically competent Games (assuming their budgets are big enough). The IOC is looking for more: glitter, glamour, a story, international reputation. Unfortunately, in those categories Cleveland cannot compete.

Cleveland won't play with the IOC. Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Tokyo, Cleveland?

There are many American cities that could stage technically competent Games (assuming their budgets are big enough). The IOC is looking for more: glitter, glamour, a story, international reputation. Unfortunately, in those categories Cleveland cannot compete.

You're kind of looking at

NYC

Chicago

San Francisco

Los Angeles

and that's it

The success of London might convince NYC that a mega city and hold the games without excessive disruption

NYC

Chicago

San Francisco

Los Angeles

and that's it

The success of London might convince NYC that a mega city and hold the games without excessive disruption

Wow, Sheep. I'm surprised you wrote that considering your interest in the less conventional options.

I agree with you though.

I might give outside chances to Philadelphia or Dallas, but I think both are doubtful.

A lot of American cities could host the Olympics, but realistically only those named and MAYBE Washington or Philadelphia will get the chance.

I'd like to see a bigger commitment to the Pan Am Games here since it'd give the Detroits and Clevelands of the world a chance to throw those rings up at least

How would you have any fucking idea of what cities are and are not know within the U.S.? Geez, what an arrogant prick you are!

Why is it that those of you that love to put down certain American cities like you and that little girl FYI, never have the balls to show in your moniker just what city you are from? You hide behind "USA".

NYC

Chicago

San Francisco

Los Angeles

and that's it

Sorry but Chicago is nothing but a big, boring industrial city. I was in France a few years ago and got blank looks from the people there when I mentioned Chicago. Sorry...Chicago hosting the Olympics is like Archie Bunker driving a Jaguar.

Why is it that those of you that love to put down certain American cities like you and that little girl FYI, never have the balls to show in your moniker just what city you are from? You hide behind "USA".

I've been very open about the fact that I grew up and currently live in LA, but have also lived in Chicago, NYC, and the UK. It's been in quite a few of my posts.

Sorry but Chicago is nothing but a big, boring industrial city. I was in France a few years ago and got blank looks from the people there when I mentioned Chicago. Sorry...Chicago hosting the Olympics is like Archie Bunker driving a Jaguar.

This post could only have been written by someone with precious little firsthand experience of the city.

Chicago is an unforgettable cosmopolitan capital of culture.

Perhaps you're thinking of Detroit?

Archived