USA 2024

Athensfan

First off.....we should be watching the NYC Olympic games right now. The anti-American sentiment that Jacques Rogge has displayed over the course of his presidency swayed the vote away from NY. If the IOC wanted Sexy, Iconic then the Olympic games should be in NY not London, which has hosted the games a few times. Let us not forget that it was the LA games that saved the modern Olympic movement. It is not hard to see Americans loose interest in the Olympics, as the amount of American Medals declines so will will our desire to watch the games. The USA could host the Olympics in both 2022 and 2036 the could host in both 2022 and 2032 if they really wanted, just like they could force the IOC to reinstate Baseball and Basketball and eliminate this stupid rule limiting the number of sports and events in the olympics...it all comes down to Money...US does not get 2022 or 2024 games...USOC works with Americas Corporate Sponsors and asks them to withhold money...let us see how fast the games are back in America. The IOC may not like this but American money is very important to the Olympic movement and without it...well...let see cities around the world make money on the games.

LOL, funniest first post ever.

So, the loss was nothing to do with NYC's stadium plan falling through then? Nor to do with the fact that three bids scored higher technical scores? And of course, all the American sponsors are hugely likely to withdraw aren't they? Erm, actually no they're not. They're in it to reach new markets like Brazil and China and establish themselves outside the US. Sure a home Games would be a boost too, but you reckon USOC's going to get them to "withold money" from the Olympic movement if the US isn't hosting soon? Get real! McDonalds, Coke etc can't wait to get to Rio. And indeed two new American TOP sponsors have signed up since Rio was awarded the Games too (P&G and DOW).

A stereotypically close-minded American post. Thankfully these are few and far between on this forum. We "should" be in NYC now....pffftt......

But thanks for the laugh!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the loss was nothing to do with NYC's stadium plan falling through then? Nor to do with the fact that three bids scored higher technical scores? And of course, all the American sponsors are hugely likely to withdraw aren't they? Erm, actually no they're not. They're in it to reach new markets like Brazil and China and establish themselves outside the US. Sure a home Games would be a boost too, but you reckon USOC's going to get them to "withold money" from the Olympic movement if the US isn't hosting soon? Get real! McDonalds, Coke etc can't wait to get to Rio. And indeed two new American TOP sponsors have signed up since Rio was awarded the Games too (P&G and DOW).

A stereotypically close-minded American post. Thankfully these are few and far between on this forum. We "should" be in NYC now....pffftt......

Amen.

I know. Bizarre. But he's probably a 17-year old kid. We were all such young once. He doesn't know he's entered the lions' den.

No disrespect to either NYC or LA, but are we so sure that the IOC has completely no interest in Chicago? My impression from the 2016 vote is it was politics, nothing personal, that killed the Chicago bid. If that is true, Chicago has as good a shot as LA or NYC to get the Games.

No disrespect to either NYC or LA, but are we so sure that the IOC has completely no interest in Chicago? My impression from the 2016 vote is it was politics, nothing personal, that killed the Chicago bid. If that is true, Chicago has as good a shot as LA or NYC to get the Games.

I actually think Chicago has the BEST shot at landing the Games. I think it would be the best American host BY FAR. The question is whether Chicago is ready to try again.

We've heard faint murmurings from NYC and the assumption seems to be that LA will want in. Chicago is mentioned periodically, but there's no telling if there's any substance there or not.

That's why, for the time being, the conversation seems to be focusing on LA and NYC.

Of course the 2016 vote was all about politics. These votes usually are anyway. Even some IOC members came out afterwards that it wasn't about not wanting Chicago, but wanting Rio more. N the sour relations between the IOC & USOC that didn't help in the least.

The problem is now, the unbalanced final results of that race has, more than likely, made Chicago gun-shy. N I think that they realize now, that as long as the IOC still has some uncharted territory to explore, that any further attempts anytime soon might be futile. N I can't say that I blame them.

One big thing about Midwesterners, is that they're very conservative & take defeat in a defeatist manner sometimes. They know that they gave it their all for 2016 & they got the Olympic door shut right in their face. So that's gonna take some time to get over it all.

Chicago had all it needed to win and it went on the first round, it just didn't appeal to voters that's all.

I know this it is hard to admit it, but Chicago isn't one of the cities which people in the world think of or want to see when they think of America.

Believe me, i understand it, i love my city in France but it isn't going to host anything ever despite being in the top 5 cities in terms of population.

USA best hopes lies on a Californian or one of the Big East Coast cities.

Maybe in 20 years the olympic movement would have slow down and we may see host like Chicago, Brisbane or Hambourg.

But right now it's really a hard fight and a good bid isn't enough, you need the right city too.

Chicago had all it needed to win and it went on the first round, it just didn't appeal to voters that's all.

I know this it is hard to admit it, but Chicago isn't one of the cities which people in the world think of or want to see when they think of America.

Believe me, i understand it, i love my city in France but it isn't going to host anything ever despite being in the top 5 cities in terms of population.

Maybe in 20 years the olympic movement would have slow down and we may see host like Chicago, Brisbane or Hambourg.

But right now it's really a hard fight and a good bid isn't enough, you need the right city too.

That just shows how little is known about Chicago. Likening it to Brisbane or Hamburg is incredibly inaccurate. I totally disagree with your statement about Chicago not appealing to voters. There were so many other issues clouding the vote that that assertion should not be believed for a moment.

I've lived in LA, NYC and Chicago and I can tell you that Chicago is by far my favorite as a potential host. It is a stunningly beautiful city that is superbly maintained (probably better than just about any other American city -- though I expect some may argue with that). Chicago boasts outstanding art, theater, music, food, parks and architecture. It is home to an amazingly ethnically diverse population.

If voters think Chicago lacks appeal, then it is solely because voters don't know Chicago and they've got to be educated. I truly believe that if Chicago were to host the Games its reputation would experience a transformation similar to that of Barcelona. Chicago is a jewel waiting to be discovered by the international community.

I may have only lived in Chicago for 5 years, but I'm staking my claim once again: In terms of Olympic host cities, Chicago is the very best the US has to offer -- bar none.

Besides NYC, what other East Coast city is "big". Sure, Philadelphia & Washington DC come to mind, but Chicago is still bigger than either of those two & is 3rd largest city in the country. And comparing it to Lille & Brisbane is laughable. At least Chicago got short-listed, unlike Lille did back for '04.

What sunk Chicago was politics, not bcuz it didn't "appeal" to voters. Rio obviously had the bigger story to tell, in an exotic locale & continent that never had hosted before. Trying to dilute that with a different spin of not having appeal, is grossly inaccurate.

I agree. NYC didn't deserve 2012 and it was too soon for the US anyway.

As for LA, I really think its way too soon to dismiss them as the been-there-done-that option. LA is a very different city than it was in the 80's. If the crux of their campaign is "we have all the venues" then of course they will lose. I believe LA can develop a compelling story that focuses on transportation, the environment and youth programs. Let's wait and see what's offered...

Just a question about Los Angeles (I understand you are from there)...

Do you think LA would fail the meet the general IOC standards in terms of being compact, the environment and transportation? I can't see an LA bid that wouldn't be dramatically spread out over, and dependent on freeways and buses, etc...

I've visited Los Angeles only once (in 2009) and I loved it, but I think it is certainly a challenging city that almost felt like a victim of its own image. 1932 and 1984 occurred under incomparable circumstances, and I feel like it's been a bit more like a London "go to" city. it's this spread out nature of Los Angeles that might make it harder for it to pitch its case against cities that have a clean slate, so to speak.

I firmly disagree here.

From an Australian perspective, Chicago is massive. You mention the name "Chicago" to the average Australian, and while it may not have an iconic landmark to the extent of SF or NYC (Sears Tower is monumental, but like the CN Tower, I wouldn't consider it a major global landmark), it would bring up thoughts of a massive metropolis, almost the throbbing heart of America. People know Chicago, and they know what it represents. It's a gigantic city unfairly in the shadow of NYC, and perhaps that is why it would benefit most from the Olympics. It's not an Atlanta, it's a real global city, but it doesn't carry that almost "too good" attitude you might perhaps see from NYC.

I'd love to see an NYC Olympics, but I think Chicago would be magic. I've mentioned previously the idea of the quintessential 'American Olympiad' - Chicago would be the perfect candidate for that, in terms of an Olympic Games that would define a nation. LA84 somewhat did that, but Atlanta certainly didn't. Thats why the US needs to think big for 2024. It might be a long time after that before the Summer Olympics come back, perhaps the 2060's.

Well we have to disagree on that.

I have absolutely nothing about Chicago & I m 100% sure they would organize terrific games.

I just think Chicago isn't as iconic as some other cities in the US. It's not about what it is, it's about how people see the US even if they never went there.

Do you think Manchester or Brasilia can't organize game as good as London or Rio ? D

I have absolutely nothing about Chicago & I m 100% sure they would organize terrific games.

I just think Chicago isn't as iconic as some other cities in the US. It's not about what it is, it's about how people see the US even if they never went there.

Do you think Manchester or Brasilia can't organize game as good as London or Rio ?

Don't you believe Ankara, Osaka or Sevilla could be good host for 2020 too?

I believe they would but countries in recent olympics races chose to use their most iconic cities, the most well-known and associated with the positive image of their countries.

You say people who don't have a great image of Chicago didn't go there, that's true, but you can't have visited every cities in the world, it has to come to reputation and the image those cities have in the world.

I just think Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore and so many other cities in the US that could organize fantastic games doesn't stand a chance against world capitals or terribly iconic cities.

You are very free to disagree with me, i just thought NYC, LA, maybe San Fransico and much better choice to seduce the IOC and to fight against Madrid, Istanbul and so many others cities

You're still grossly making an inaccurate comparison. Chicago is more like St. Petersburg, Melbourne, Milan or Osaka. N I can C any of those cities hosting the Olympic Games, & one of them already has.

Manchester & Brasilia are more comparable to Minneapolis, Phoenix or San Diego. Please put things more into perspective.

More gross comparisons. Chicago is NOTHING like Detroit or Baltimore. Those R more like Lille. :-P

The US are such a diverse country that the Games would come in various colors and tones depending from the city which is chosen.

So far we have had Californian Games and Games of the South (forgetting the prehistoric Saint-Louis Games).

I'd love to see Games on the East Coast, or Floridian Games, for instance.

Texas is also a very special part of the US and would offer a completely different setting. But I think that never having had the Games on the East Coast is an anomaly. This is one of the few top economic and political centers of the world, maybe the only one, never to have had the Games.

Do you think Manchester or Brasilia can't organize game as good as London or Rio ? D

My whole point is that Chicago absolutely IS iconic. It's just undiscovered.

Fill in the blanks (take a wild ass guess)...

Number of times IOC members have taken personal vacations in the following:

NYC:

LA:

Chicago:

This is irrelevant. Just because you haven't gone somewhere doesn't mean you won't love it. It's Chicago's job to communicate what the USOC/IOC will be missing if they go elsewhere. I think they can definitely improve on the 2016 campaign in that regard.

This is definitely not a case of trying to pass off a lesser city as a top contender.

I am not arguing Chicago Games would be equal to NYC or LA. I'm arguing they would be FAR BETTER.

Wow... at first I thought you just proved everybody's else point. Chicago has a bunch of tall building, a river, a park, etc... just like every other big city in the world. Wonderful place, but nothing that screams "Chicago."

But then the picture of Buckingham Fountain. Everybody knows that... well, everybody that ever watched Married with Children.

/sarcasm

Archived